1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating your own additional universe [Experience through a doll]

Apr 18, 2008

1. my dolls would probably all be straight, im straight but not into relationships at all at the moment
      im not against bis and lezbians at all but i think a guy and a girl cuddling together is cute, where as guy on guy or girl on girl kind of reminds me of rebels and devious people ( i know its deffinetly not always so) but i guess ive seen too many people claiming to be gay go straight cuz they just wanted to be defiant and different you know what i mean??? i guess what im saying is i need to meet more seriously gay people who are head over heals in love and you can tell just by looking at them

2. My girl is still young like me [But I'm positive I'm straight.] And I made her seems like she just wants to be cared about. I guess that kinda reflects off me. I never really thought I would make her to be like me though. -cough- I love yaoi and yuri though. -cough- I tried my best to make her more unlike me as possible. I guess it might be to explore other things, probably not sexuality though, in my case.

I'm not sure if others do make their dolls gay or bi or lesbian because they want to explore, or if they just wanted to have fun with it. It might have a bit of both in it.

3. the boy that i have now doesn't have a stable character. he is whatever i want him to be at whatever time, Because i like to be whatever i want at whatever time. so i can recreate him over and over again without problem, sometimes i wish i could do that...
      some people might be exploring different sexuality's and others might just be enjoying yaoi or yuri :)

4. I for one think we live voraciously through our dolls, they objectify elements of sexual liberation and art for many hobbyists. Perchance they do fulfill a desire to step out of ones own skin now and again. Although this isn't the case for me.

I have planned a few dolls that are gay, but it wasn't planned. They turned out to be gay because of happenstance. The dynamic between the characters became such that they fell for each other. It just made sense. But perhaps this is a bit of introspection transposing itself in art. I myself am bisexual because I just let feelings happen organically and I've fallen for both boys and girls. Neither sex is particularly appealing nor unappealing; perhaps I'm a supposed bisexual with an unaffirmed asexuality? Who knows, and this just got really off topic.

Perhaps the paths our dolls choose have more to do with our own subconscious then we realize. I sleep a lot, my first doll was a sleeping mold. Go figure. <3

5. In the fictional universes I've created and written about, there is no straight or gay, nor are relationships limited to mere pairings (troikas, quads, you name it). People simply are who they are, and there are no labels needed. Such things are accepted as understood.

But the real world, one can't get away from that. Humanity has an obsessive need to put names to and label everything.

I'm almost 34, I'm still unsure of my sexuality, although I have an erratic boyfriend (he's in the US Navy, so I don't see him much, and if I get the job promotion I want, we'll be seeing less of each other). Sometimes, I look at a girl and think, "She has nice tits," but thinking that doesn't necessarily mean I want to have sex with her. Do I sometimes have lesbian fantasies though? Sometimes, yes. I'm not sure what this makes me. Het with a strong bi streak? :?

For my dolls, though, I don't see them as having sexuality at all. My dolls are aware they are dolls, although they may be dressed up and painted to resemble someone or something, they remain, at heart, artificial beings. (Think of the robots in the movie, A.I. or similar human-creations). This does not mean that (as characters) they don't wonder about sexual feelings and what drives humans to act as they do as observers to human behavior.

I've always considered myself a bit of an outsider to my own species, so I suppose in one way, the dolls give me an anchor from which to view the grandness, silliness and horror that is humanity.

6. I identify as bisexual, leaning a lot more towards women than men, but I have a long-term boyfriend I love very much. If it were to end between us, I am pretty confident my next partner would be female. Partly because I can't express my feelings towards women due to my exclusive relationship with my boyfriend, my bisexuality manifests itself in my writing and in the backstories for my dolls. I'm fully aware of this manifestation, it's never really been a subconcious issue or my feelings 'coming out sideways'.

My tinies do not really have a sexuality because I still view them as too child-like. If I was to guess I suppose I'd say that my Puki and Bobobie would be straight if they were to grow up and become sexually aware.

Of my four female larger dolls (I have a Souldoll Hye, Soulkid Snyder, Volks Kurenai and an incoming MNF Rheia) two are exclusively lesbian, one is exclusively straight and the other is bisexual; my Volks Kurenai and my MNF Rheia are to be a couple where my Kurenai is exclusively lesbian and my Rheia is openly bisexual. Through them I want to explore my own struggles about being a loving partner to someone of one sex whilst still being attracted to people of another sex, and I chose to have both partners female rather than a heterosexual relationship because I think f/f relationships are shockingly underrepresented in this hobby.

Of my two male dolls, both are bisexual, one leans towards women and the other leans towards men (they aren't each other's partners, by the way!) and they are bisexual because it is definitely in one of my boys' characters to be so, and as for the other it is a challenge for his character to learn to live with.

7. My dolls are all over the place as far as their sexuality goes but I'm old enough & curious enough to have experienced most of it in my real life anyway so, no, I'm not exploring those avenues thru my dolls. Rather I'm drawing on my own experience to complete that part of their characters.

As far as other aspects, much of it again comes from my own life but considering that many of my dolls are some sort of magical creatures, I suppose you could say that I'm exploring altered realities thru them.

8. I don't honestly think it matters.

Danny, my boy, is bi and has a boyfriend (WarmFuzzys boy) and I'm straight. But again, I honestly don't think it matters.

9. I'm definately a straight girl (I've been through all the debates and such, and come to this conclusion, but I really do think I was a gay boy in a past life...(I'm dead serious. PM me if you think I'm kidding- I do not joke.))

But I like Yaoi for extremely complicated reasons that have to do with my own perception of..ahem...stuff. So that said, both my boys have questionable sexuality, because I actually find the idea of androgeny to be utterly intriguing-so to have such pretty boys and not make them androgenous was almost confusing for me >.< To actually answer the topic question though (because I'd never dream of going off on a tangent...) I do explore those emotions and ideas through making my boys both Bi (well technically Mikah is probaby gay, but there are even more complex reasons (namely because of the structure of my imaginary world ^-^) behind why we are calling him bi for the purposes of everything...same with Yurii actually....)

I think said emotions are actually very close to what I feel as a straight girl, so I say, no matter your preference we are all united in the complexities of love!

(I do apologize astutely for anything that sounds wrong- I don't know everything but this is the best I can explain at the moment! m-_-;m)

I kind of liked the idea is a bottom line, but I find that I'm violently biased- my girls will all be pining away for my boys who are pining away for each other o.0;;; (I know that's weird! I just can't help my preferences!!)

10. Ah, I ran in another topic of seriousness it seem :sweat

Do you think when you own a doll and you make the char be bi or gay, or straight for that matter, because you want to "explore that part of life"?

No. I not have Dante yet but when I get him, I plan on him being Bi. It has nothing with me in comparison or likes..if that made sense. It didnt? Well...I mean...Im 100% straight but I want boy of mine to be bisexual. Why? Well you may say Im madly in love with gays and bi's because they so cute or you can call me crazy. Either is fine. But it mainly based on his story. As I want my bjd's to have. A background. I delve into that later on when he be here and I post about him. He just...IS. Simply.

11. Do you think when you own a doll and you make the char be bi or gay, or straight for that matter, because you want to "explore that part of life"?
      Hmmm, I can totally see what you're saying. I don't really think I did that by making my doll gay. I always knew she would be when I started plotting out her character. I just see it as something we have in common. I guess it makes us closer in a way.

But I totally think I create them to be 'perfect'. I spend hours making the character and giving them likes and dislike, some different from mine but also some similar. I don't get jealous of their relationships with eachother but as I say I make them perfect so that also means their relationships with eachother. I guess in a way I'd love to live that harmoniously as they all do.

12. None of my dolls are scientists. Well, one is a historian who is forced to do scientific stuff due to circumstances, but no scientists like me. One of my dolls is a physician. I decided not to study medicine although the opportunity was offered to me twice and I wanted to, but didn't in the end. I'm happy in the scientific field I ended up, but maybe a "doctor doll" is making up for that choice in a way.

Most of my dolls are what I'm not. Soldier, knight, magician, secret keeper, merchant, traveller. I guess you could say I'm living a creative fantasy through them.
      I also have happy child dolls that live happy, uneventful lives. I guess I am compensating for something. ;)

13. Since the last time I posted in this thread was before my boy actually arrived, let alone developed a personality, can I have a pass to post here again? -_-;;

Vic is more of a sexual creature than the first character I'd planned to put in doll form, which I hadn't initially intended, but it's not too much to handle. It's like writing a character or roleplaying them-- it's a little bit jarring, and I don't think I've ever really played a character who's extremely sexual or sexually active, but it's not too out there. And he does seem to be bisexual-- but I'm almost shying away from that with him, because it seems like such a stereotypical trait for a first doll, to make them a pretty, androgynously lovely bisexual bishie boy. (Character-wise he's a lot of things I'm not as well-- he excels in the realm of biology, for one thing, even if it's just in a peculiar mad scientist way. And he's too laid back/languid, instead of too excitable.) I suppose part of having variety in a collection of anything (original characters, dolls, so on) is being willing to have their tastes differ than your own might be for yourself. Not necessarily diametrically opposed to everything you are, but if you are inspired to see another point of view or to enjoy escapism through them their purpose is fulfilled.

14. I'm not sure about Caleb. I'm a straight female, but I've put quite a bit of thought into sexuality (homosexual, asexual, bi, trans, cross-dressing). I dress Caleb in dresses and pink sometimes, but he seems to be uninterested in relationships and quite unaware of gender norms. He will end up asexual, confused, or straight I think. This is probably because I see those options as my options

15. This is sort of how it is for me, except I don't base my dolls' 'as is' on my own.

For me, my dolls come with characters that are fully formed from the moment I become aware of them. I might not know everything about them from the start, but there's a feeling that it's there to be learned. I don't feel like I am 'inventing' their personalities, so much as I am 'discovering' them.

This applies to their sexualities as much as to anything else. I have two boys who are bisexual (but both are shy, and don't realise the other shares their sexuality, so neither of them are 'out' yet). I have one female character who sees sex purely as an issue of power - she's not gay or bisexual in the usual senses, because she's not actually 'attracted' to anyone - she simply seduces anyone who will give her more power if she seduces them.

I see my dolls more as characters in a play than mirrors of myself. Even though I might be writing the play, there is logic to their characters, and restrictions that I can't just ignore (my shy boy wouldn't seduce someone for power, and my sociopathic girl can't be shoehorned into loving someone - though I can't rule out the possibility that she might fall for someone, someday. Afterall, I don't know which new characters are just around the corner, waiting to be discovered :XD:)

Although, I have to admit you've got me thinking. I'm personally very sexually... grounded, I think is the word I'd use. I'm not sex mad, but I don't think sex should be demonised or stigmatised. I'm attracted to both genders (though I don't consider myself bisexual, as I've only ever dated men). As a biology fan, I'm well aware of the biological influence sex has on people (the hormonal influence of sex and seduction is a very powerful thing - easily abused by people who don't realise it, or who don't care about other people's well-being). So my characters and their sexualities are influenced strongly by me and my own... but more as windows than as mirrors, if that makes any sense :sweat

16. I think that yes when I decided my male doll will be transvestive it was because I'd love to see what the world is like through their eyes. It's the same way with most of the things I do though. Prostitution is something I wouldn't do but I would like to know about the people who do it. Are they nice? Are they shy? Do they have an artistic side? Do they like to read? It's just a way to answer questions you have about life I guess. Thats how I see it anyway. It's like living life through someone else.

17. Lol. That means she might be a sociopath. Just to let you know.

18. I don't treat my dolls as another 'me'. I do talk to them though, i find it more interesting to imagine them as someone else. If anyone saw me interacting with them, they'll definitely think I'm mad.

19. I am female and straight. My two BJDs are male and straight. I am very secure about my sexuality and don't need to explore that with my dolls. I already did it for real in my 20s....;) That's how I know for a certainty that I'm straight....:D Because of that I'm content to let my boys 'just be'....:) So for now....they're just cute boy dollies who happen to live with me....:)

20. I think it can go both ways here. Some people may not at all live out experiences through their doll and others may completely. I've got my personality pretty much mapped out for my soon-to-be girl and it's a little bit like what my 'fantasy life' could be, but not completely. Sometimes you don't want your doll to be at all like you, and sometimes some dolls just fit a personality regardless of your personal feelings and ideals. Bottom line is, it can totally be both ways, but as long as you end up with a personality you're happy with it really doesn't matter. :)