1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating your own additional universe [Experience through a doll]

Apr 18, 2008

1. I base my dolls characters loosely on myself. I'm bi, but in a straight relationship. I think that it is reflected on my dolls. My female is straight, but my male is bi.
      But it's not only sexual preference that is reflected, hobbies and their past is also loosely taken from me...

2. Steering away from the sexuality thing since as far as I know, my dollies are straight [ well, Vestige isn't interested in relationships at all ]...
      I've always wanted to be a boy, even as a little kid. Just something about being a boy really appealed to me, like being stronger or having cool short spiked hair. I think it's that want that makes me like and collect boy dolls. I don't really know what it's like to be a boy so I guess their personalities are based on things I've seen real boys do. Vestige doesn't have much of a fashion sense [well, he wears weird colors] and Luel is "high and mighty" and arrogant. But I'll never really know, and I'm content with just pretending my boys are like real boys or at least, a variation of what I'd be if I were one.

3. I'm onyl 14 but I'm going through questions liek this with myself. I have said to a few close nit friends I'm Bi. I went through a stage before when i said i was to a few more friends and even my mum and bf but soon said after i wasn't due to dffernt things. I'm not spreading it far this time.

I do think my sexuality has an influence one my doll. He is currently my ownly doll. When I first took him out he seemed to take a shine to one of my friend i thought he wouldn't. My friend is a male. I think he may be gay or bi mostly liekly bi but I'm not making any set decisions with him. I want to get this set which has a boy and a girl in it. I think they will decide his sexuality but it may be a while until i get them. I also may decide if I take Akio to any dolly meets.

4. Nor my sexuality or anything in my life have influence the ideas i had created for my characters or dolls. I won't use my life in any way, i think is a way to experiment with other kind of life and experience totally different from me, thats why i created a background, hobbies, etc, totally different.

My only doll, right now, is gay, is how i figured him out, is how i figured his character when i saw him.

5. As a straight female with several bi and/or homosexual/lesbian friends, I am of the opinion that if it fits with your character's backstory, then do it. However, I cannot say that it's wrong to want to project that onto your doll if you're curious. I think the only way to find out how you really swing is to have a good long thought about it, and then think about it again. I wouldn't necessarily try to live that part of my life out through my dolls.

6. I'm straight, and my doll is, too. I plan for my male doll to be, as well.

Though, the concept of bisexuality intrigues me, I'm not going to live it thru my doll.

However, as in a comic artist's character, BJDs represent certain parts of their owners.

For example...my doll has musical talent, she plays the violin in an orchestra. Despite her age, she is a great player.

I play the flute, piano, and saxophone. Always was 1st chair flutist in band, ever since the 5th grade, through 12th grade.

My male BJD (yet to order...no monies :( ) is a profound artist, and a hermit.

I've always been rather anti-social (coming out of my shell now though! Yay for human contact!) and a BIG hobby of mine is drawing (check ze DeviantART link in my siggy...doing free art!)

So...no matter what, consciously or unconsciously, this is going to result in a person's depiction of their doll's personality. That's how I feel at least. Even if we don't notice or know it...it's just how it's gonna be.

7. Before I got into BJDs I used to role play a lot. My characters were also made into something I would like to be: Hot, rich, powerful (not like they didn´t have a bunch of mistakes too). So I guess there might be something about it.
      I myself am bi, so are my dolls. But more than having my sexuallity reflected on them, it is because I like yaoi (and yuri, I am quite sure once I´ll get my girl, she will be bi too).
      But I wouldn´t have problem creating a straight character, or purely gay character, if it suited their backstories.

8. I plan on having gay dolls. I may even have lesbian dolls. This is all speculation since I have a total of one doll right now and limited funds but big dreams about the number of dolls that I want. I like homosexuals and I think their relationships are much more romantic and exciting and interesting than straight ones. Unfortunately you can't choose and I'm fairly certain I'm straight... Hmm... now I've decided I am definitely having lesbian dolls and I know which characters to do it with. Maybe you were living out a fantasy. Maybe just being around something that is gay made you feel comfortable. Maybe that type of relationship just interests you, whether you are or not. I don't think it really matters as long as you're happy, the beautiful thing about these dolls is that you can make them whatever they want and they're good company :lol:

9. Hmm, I'm going to say probably not since I'm 95% sure I'm straight (I'm female, btw) and the 5% is because I'm in love with a girl that looks like a male Japanese singer I love ;) but I love, love, love yaoi! <3 I'm not sure I would want to be a homosexual male ... although ... ;)

10. Well, I'm a big ol polyamorous queer (I'm interested in everyone that isn't a cisgendered male) and I'm planning to have a pansexual poly girl doll with a bisexual boyfriend and a lesbian girlfriend. And she has been raised by two men, one gay, one homoflexible (he much prefers men, but he's had relationships with women) and her biological mother is straight.

And there will be straight, dippy female cousin, and a straight sensible little sister.

I should probably consider more straight dude characters xD

I guess, fo me, I live in a very queercentric bubble of friends, and it kind of makes sense that I'd have dolls like that.

Probably the only thing I envy my doll's is that they have kids and I don't.

(I am totally baby crazy)

11. My dolls/characters seem to relate more to me and my experiences, plus where my imagination takes them. I am straight, so most seem to be straight. Well there is one boy who might be bi, but it's more just how his personality brought that out.
      Though I can see living out something with the dolls that I don't have irl. Most of my dolls are outgoing and confident, where as I'm shy and like spending time alone (working on that).
      Recently I've noticed myself putting into their story experiences that have happened to me, but with a twist. It's more of a therapeutic thing. Example: Irl I had a stalker, thank god nothing bad happened and its over now. But it kinda got written into my girls story, but with a bitter end for the stalker. Now I never want to experience that again, but until knowing how it felt, I was able to create her feelings on it.
      So I guess I experience different things though my dolls, the what ifs... Normally its stuff I don't want in my life, but stuff I still wonder/fear 'what if it had played out differently?'

12. Im absolutely straight girl and all my dolls(one that i have and one on her way home) they are straight too.
      My characters can do what i cant.Briar is a witch and her boyfrinds(my frienda Iplehouse chase:D) is demon.Little Luthien(Buttercup,as i call her,fairyland Lishe) is a yet-to-become-witch-so they know everything about the witchcraft and magic:D

13. Yay! A Resin Garden person 8D

Im pansexual, which means that I dont really care about genders. But Im still extremely fascinated by gays, in Yaoi & Yuris anyway, I dont find it as interesting in real life. All my future dolls will have a special sexuality and I dont think it has anything to do with mine, I just love abnormality.

14. Hmm... Well, I'm asexual, and I honestly don't picture myself using my character's perspectives to "see what's it's like" or anything. So the sexuality of my characters is usually determined... I'm not sure how o__o; I guess whichever suits their character, what their personality and lifestyle is like, and how they'd react around each gender.
      I even have a few characters who are completely ~nonsexual~ :B... Not asexual, nonsexual meaning they're either too young to think about that stuff, or it has absolutely nothing to do with their character, so it has never been discussed/thought about~

Although I will admit I have more homosexual/nonsexual characters than straight ones... but, when you look at it, it's not as different from someone having all/more straight characters, right? xB;;

15. What the OP is talking about is essentially roleplaying. I used to be heavily invested into RP (the storytelling and character development sort, not the dice and stats sort), I love making up imaginary/fantastical worlds as well, and that has naturally spilled over into my dolls. Of course all my dolls/chars have some measure of my personality in them -- I'm best at being myself! -- but they give me an opportunity to explore other personalities and backgrounds.

I'm not so interested in sexuality, but other aspects of personality, relationships, and how history and experience moulds one's character. For example, one doll/char is an animal aspect in human form, so I'm trying to explore how that animal's traits influence personality. Another is an angelic being that accidentally entered this world, so how 'alien' or inhuman can I make her and how does she interact with a material world? Another is an elf-like immortal who has a saga of a life, another is royalty and a saint, with all the baggage associated with such a position... It's fun to explore these personalities and their relationships.

16. This is a really good topic. My dolls are different parts of myself. So far I just have one. She is the embodiment of my maturity and level-headedness at times. My Asleep Eidolon Blueberry has a motherly, grown-up look to her, especially when wearing a short wig. I've been told that she resembles me.
      I am saving up for my boy persona. He'll be a writer, like me, and a confident, thoughtful person (unlike me). He will be fairly masculine. I've always kind of wanted to know what it would be like if I had been a boy. I am envious at times.

17. I'm a writer and RPGer of many years, and I've gotten well over the basic forms of vicarious experience. Now I write, game, or imagine in order to explore human relationships and interactions, but I don't do it to see what it would be like if I were to experience these things, if that makes sense.

18. Sexuality aside, I feel like I do create another universe with my dolls. I like that they're a completely separate entity from the rest of my life. Alana is very much like I was when I was little in terms of personality but I think I tend to try to make things better for her because I had such a bad time in elementary school. We're both very shy, but I feel like I can do nothing about that in myself but with Lana I can help her "make friends" with other dolls and flesh out her personality more like I never could. It's a very helpful thing for me, I love helping people and by doing this I feel like I'm almost helping myself ^_^

19. Remember that many, many therapists find dolls extremely useful in their therapy sessions, not just with children but also with adults. It allows people to safely investigate feelings, thoughts, memories, etc. If you have a gay doll, it doesn't mean that you are gay, or want to be gay, just that you are investigating that experience in an empathetic way. I don't see it as any different from watching a movie or reading a book about someone else's life experiences, in that it allows you to experience something in a personal way.
      I don't know why so many straight woman have gay boy dolls, but I suspect it has more to do with perceptions of personal power and freedom (or lack of), glamour (because really there is not much more glamourous than a beautiful gay boy), and so on that with actual sexual experience. Just as many gay men own dolls that portray beautiful women, or enjoy dressing up as women in real life as drag queens. It doesn't mean (in my experience with drag queens, and I do have close friends in that "sport") that they want to be women (not including truly transgender people, which is different altogether). Almost all of the straight men I know who have BJDs have sexy women dolls.
      My daughter used to love to play that she was Peter Pan because that character got to do so much more than Wendy, and had way more power than Tinkerbell. Same thing in many cases with girls having boy dolls, gay or straight, and men having female dolls, I think.
      I played with a GI Joe doll when I was little because he got to do so much more than Barbie (forget Ken, the most boring doll ever invented).

20. I do give some of my characters traits and characteristics that I don't possess, sometimes just because I don't have them. >.>;; Male, because I'm female, strong and intimidating because I'm too short and sweet-looking to be otherwise, etc.

Of course, I also like to try out very different character ideas, which some surprisingly stick. I like to think that I focus more on the character than myself, though. *shrug*