1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross eyed dolls?

Feb 26, 2010

1. Ok I have a visual impairment and usually have to have one of my friends place the eyes for me or see the color of skin on a doll to make sure that it matches.

Here's the thing I love it when a dolls eyes go wonky as ppl say cause u know what ppl has visual issues where that happens and sometimes it just is nice to see the realism, even if it is unintentional.

2. Arashi: -laughs- I like how you put that.

I've never seen a doll with it's eyes all...weirded up. xD I'm sure I'd notice it though. I have an eye for detail.
      I'm sure I'd give a double take. Lol.

3. I'm really glad it's not just me then LOL :sweat

4. YES! Lol. Cross eyed dolls just make me go, "GAAH! Have to fix! D8" XD

But I actually don't see a lot of cross eyed dolls. I do however, notice crossed eyes in a few DoD dolls. It's usually the same doll. And it makes me all like "@ A@"
      But I don't want to say anything, 'cause I don't wanna come off as rude or mean. D:
      I mean, I wouldn't mind if someone told me. If I didn't notice it. But you never know how someone is gonna react. So, I just leave it alone. XD

5. I can't say that it bothers me or causes me to dislike a photoshoot, but I do notice it if a dolls eyes aren't looking in the same direction. I don't see it a lot in real life, or in the few gallery posts I look at, however it seems every other doll on Y!J is cross-eyed. XD I find it so amusing!

The best way I've found to avoid cross eyes is to hold the head upside down to check the eye placement.

6. Oof, the acrylic eyes that Reika has tend to do that weird 'cross eyed' look. :/ it's cause the acrylic eyes are designed to kinda 'follow' you, so at certain angles esp. from slightly to the side, one eye looks very, VERY off or the light hits it reeeally weird. Sometimes the eyes slip since I'm using sticky tak, and they get out from the right direction. Other times/owners, I'm not sure, but there are some who position the eyes a bit more inward to create a bubbly and innocent look~

7. Drives. Me. Nuts.

And that is on MY dolls (one reason why I don't post much).

I find that there are some EYES that do this ONLY in photos--high dome ones mostly. They look so lovely in person, you snap away, and when you pull up the pic CROSS-EYED! So it is possible that the owner has those particular eyes, and heck if I know how you would position them to look right in pics and in person.

Maybe give in and make them side-glancing, which is always cute.

8. haha! I'm glad this was brought up as a topic, it completely drives me batty too! A doll's beauty tends to be severely marred for me if the eyes look like one is wandering off or it's crosseyed. Pretty uncomfortable seeing in real life even though I logically understand it's beyond an individual's control. At least eyes are moderately controllable in a doll though.

9. I have seen a lot of tinies that are slightly cross-eyed in their promo pics... I think its supposed to look cute but it automatically puts me off the sculpt. Like others have said too, I don't understand the thing of having the eyes rolled back in the head so it shows a wide line of white - they just look like drug fiends to me :XD:

My suggestion to people saying they have problems getting eyes to sit properly in the socket is to try Eyeco silicone eyes - not only do they 'squish' into the socket, but the iris is smaller, which may help people with odd shaped sockets (such as the more 'squinted' eyes).

10. I have a few dolls who drive me mad when trying to place their eyes because they won't sit evenly, so I try to be forgiving about it. Though I think it could be really cute if it were done intentionally on a certain look of doll...

11. I know a girl which thinks her cross-eyed dolls are cute...they are all looking cross-eyed, and everytime she uploads photos I want to say something X'D But she ignores it, so...*shrugs*

12. I must veto this thought.

I have a pair of Eyeco eyes, and I'm beyond frustrated with their inability to stay where I put them. They slip, they shove themselves backward/out of socket, sticky tac doesn't stick to them. They are the hardest of my eyes to position correctly (and if I manage to, I can bet that after half a day one of them will simply slip off somewhere). Hell, one time I tried to stuff entire blocks of hard sponge into my doll's head to keep pressure on them to stay where they were. Didn't help. If a person can hate eyes, then I'm pretty close to that with my Eyeco (and they would be such a beautiful color. But I just can't stand the hassle to actually use them ><)

13. i noticed that too! mostly on dolls with big eyes like juri 2005 and CP if. i've also seen a lot of DOD doll with crossed eyes xD
      it does annoy me quiet a lot when i see this. thats why i spend 10minutes placing my boy's eyes 8-D

14. I try to keep mine straight. But I so want to fix Luts' An in his promo pictures. He looks so weird!

15. Aligning eyes drives me bonkers, so I try not to do eye changes too often. :| Particularly in my DD2 girl - she literally has almost nothing for sockets, and her eye openings are huge - they combine to make it hell to get her eyes positioned properly. *_*

16. Crossed eyes cos of bad placement sometimes bothers me but I can pass it over, messed up eyes cos of the sculpt sort of forcing that cross eyed look really bugs me though. Mind you there are two things that bug me more, dolls who are permanently looking to one side or the other, like they are permanently trying to be cunning and see out the corners of their eyes? really irritates me for some reason. The other is what happens on one of my dolls, the shape of the eyes and eyewells makes them always look slightly away, opposite to cross eyes, more fish eyes

17. Hahaha I'm really fussy about eye positioning, too! I don't see that many dolls with crossed eyes (except on 'cute' dolls, which I do think is cute to a degree), but I do see a LOT of wall-eyes. I think part of the problem is how the doll is photographed. To get close-ups, I used to set my camera to macro and get right up in the doll's face. Even if the eye positioning looks okay in person, the doll tends to look wall-eyed in photos because of how macro works. After a long time I finally figured out to zoom with my camera rather than physically get close to the doll, and it fixed the problem. :D (Not to mention makes the doll look more accurate to their real-life appearance!)

18. I have never been able to get my dolls eyes to look in the same direction. It bugs me SO much. Lucky for me my sister is a master and lends a hand whenever I need one

19. I actually spend a lot of time positioning and re-positioning my doll's eyes. I'm so OCD about it. When I set them in my lap and adjust the eyes so that they focus on me, they look fine. Then I put them down and stand back and they look cross-eyed because they're focused on something that is no longer there. I tend to set my dolls' eyes slightly wall-eyed, especially in the little ones, because that seems to give them the impression of being able to focus on whatever is in front of them no matter how close or far it is, and also allows the eyes to "follow" people. You can't tell that the eyes aren't straight forward unless you look downward at them and visually line up the pupils.

I other people's dolls it doens't bother me unless it's really obvious. I see it more in the marketplace and in company photos than anywhere else. Seriously, why are the dolls people are trying to sell always sloshed together? Shouldn't they be tantalizingly perfect to make you want to buy it? I hate looking at a doll and thinking: it's nice, but if I did this and this and this then it would look a lot better!