1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Current BJD Trends?

Jun 7, 2019

1. Now that we're halfway through the year, I figured I'd ask something that's been on my mind for quite a while. What are some style trends you've noticed that have really taken off over the past year? Clothing, wigs, faceups, sculpt popularity, and so on? What's "in" now?

My apologies if something like this was brought up before, but I thumbed through the forum to December and didn't see anything relevant.

2. Fairyland, especially Minifee, are very popular at the moment. Most of them seem to have a similar aesthetic as well, though I don't know what you'd call it. Maybe hipster girl?

Maybe it's just me, but I know a lot of people whose dolls are gang members of their whole crew is a gang. That might be a current trend.

3. I agree that Fairyland is still very popular. I think the slim mini is the most popular.

I've noticed there are more people making room boxes for their dolls lately. Perhaps it's just the people I'm following on Instagram though. I really like seeing those though

4. Yeah the hipster girl mature minis are popular. Also I see way more of the "anime" faces then I used to (dollfie dream, smart dolls, ameri, angel phillia ect.) Also, the art dolls with the thick thigs and the small waists. The mohair wigs that lay like real hair thats another one I see a lot.

5. The mature MSD bjds have become really popular. Iplehouse. Dollshe and Granado are all making MSD sizes of their big dolls and Raccoondoll is making mature MSDs. As for styles, it seems like Mori has been realty going well, also darker but not Goth.

6. Well one thing that has been popular on and off for BJDs that ive noticed (depending on participation of course) is #NakedTuesday

part of the RP community at times that i can see on facebook with my boy Mikami Itou's account is that hashtag with people posting not only seductive photos, but more along the lines of body positivity no matter who they are or just being able to post some self interest. it also is a great way to show that naked...emotions are really what make them a unique character who is not only on words/paper/screen/doll form but that there is more to them that makes them feel a lot more alive.

(hope this counts otherwise i'll edit it out)

besides that though, i have to say even clothing wise, msd slim has taken over and for those who do not have slims have to be careful.

anthos have been pretty darn popular too.

7. I've definitely seen more mori/goth styles on the IGs I follow this year o: With a huge upkick in intimate wear/lingerie?

And especially Fairyland Minifee, I see specifically a trend of very specific heads being used? Chloe, Miu and Celine. I see them the most out of any of the others (especially in context of personalized dolls.)

8. Fashion-sized dolls have definitely become more popular. Something I noticed while hosting a panel is that many companies are offering some of their more popular dolls (or all, in some cases) in other sizes or types. Nearly all of Dollshe's line-up, Iplehouse's FID line, Granado with Lucifer and Anne, as well as their Vindoll line. I only realized that particular trend when discussing the dolls I and my girlfriend have, and nearly all of them had a counterpart that was either larger or resin.

I know Fairyland and even Luts offered their more popular dolls in other sizes, but it seems to have caught on.

9. I've been seeing a lot more masculine men with very realistic faceups. Mostly Granado, Iplehouse, Impldoll and artist head sculpts, but all around, manly mature men! That's not something I've seen much in the hobby until recently.

I'm not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed that Parker had a hand in starting and spreading this. :XD: The body positivity/emotion part of it is pure and good, but he definitely had some ulterior motives. :roll:

10. - Minifee "Instagram model" type girls
      - K-pop boy band fashion and hairstyles
      - mermaids
      - rainbow or multi-color hair
      - wigs made with a hard wig cap
      - More anime-style resin dolls

I've noticed this, too. Not many dolls get the same texture treatment to the neck/hands, so it can be a stark contrast between the head and the rest of the doll... :sweat

11. Ombre dyed alpaca wigs and minifees with very realistic but incredibly heavy make-up style face-ups. And the hyper realistic manly man thing seems to be really popular at the moment.

12. I don't know if "popular" is quite the word, but I've been noticing a lot more gore recently, with everything from oozing burns to chunks of missing flesh with bones and innards hanging out. Also, more death photography, from the macabre to the poetic. I guess as creatures with a limited lifespan we like to contemplate mortality, and customizable dolls are a great way to explore it...

13. Fantasy dolls seems to be the trend, there's been a lot of dolls that aren't really human models but things like mermaid and so on. Also it seems like the smaller sized dolls are becoming more popular lately.

14. Yeah I saw a lot about Fairyland and Iplehouse.

15. I’ve been seeing quite a bit more transparent dolls which I was leery about, but they look quite lovely! Which was a surprise to me

16. like bewaretheshort1 said, I've noticed a lot of folks playing with making dolls smaller. Particularly 'mature' dolls. I've noticed it most extremely with independent artists, there seems to an almost 'how small can you go' challenge!

17. As someone who likes the smaller dolls, I seem to have gotten into the hobby at a good time. :)

18. i have noticed trasperent resin is poping up more in doll sculpts

19. Fashion doll size and Minifee girls are everywhere! They’re not my style to collect, but seeing their cute faces still makes me smile. Ombré alpaca wigs seem extremely popular with Minifee girls - usually the color of the wig matches the faceup and clothes.

Also I totally just realized I’m an offender of “all the crew members are in a gang.” Whoops.

20. I’m loving the kpop boy hairstyles on recent dolls. Every photo on freedomteller is lovely, although admittedly quite different from the style of the character i’ve formed so i’ve not bought from them.