1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom vs. Company Face-Ups

May 17, 2017

1. I prefer custom face-ups since they're a lot more varied and unique. I still like company face-ups though, some of them can be quite lovely! My first doll has the original company face-up and I love it. I would get a company face-up if it was limited or full set as well. I'm no where near talented enough to do my own face-ups and don't have proper materials, but I would if I could!

2. There's nothing wrong with loving the company faceup! It's definitely the easiest option, and like you said if you're looking around for a character it's the default pictures of the sculpt that get you interested in the first place. :)

3. Most of mine I bought blank and commissioned faceups for them. But there are two that were part of fullsets that included perfectly lovely faceups, which I kept. Two other dolls I bought second hand had fantastic faceups that was half the reason I bought them.

A couple of other second-hand dolls came with faceups that I wish to change, and will get done eventually. They are lower on my priority list since they have decent faceups and the blank dolls bug me more. So I guess a mix? The important thing for me is, does the faceup look right for this character, and do I like it?

4. My first dolls had really good company face-ups. But then I’ve realized it’s more exciting to create a doll's image myself. That’s why I prefer custom face-ups now.:love

5. I think I have bought one company faceup, the rest of the dollies I have painted myself, except for two who had really good faceups done by previous owners.

6. I prefer either doing the face up myself or having another artist do it. I normally don't like the company's face up, they tend to be a bit plain or "normal" looking. I also like being able to change the way she looks and adding my own flair to it.

7. Yeah from everyone's responses I feel like most people segway into customs as they get more familiar with what they want to do with the hobby. :3nodding:

8. Custom face-ups. I like the personal touch. And if I do them myself it helps to 'bond' with the doll. :)

9. It depends, to be honest.
      I have to admit that I love shelling characters into dolls, so I have a very precise idea of how the face looks like, for example the expression, face lines, atmosphere, etc.
      So in this case I really compare if the company's face-up matches the character or not.
      I'll receive a beautiful doll within the next two days which I will do the face-up myself.
      On the other hand I am super fond of the LUTS J.I.D Cordelia and her face-up Type B by LUTS, because it matches the character she'd be 100%.

Making your own face-ups is making the hard to match faces much easier.

To be honest, I have no experience in giving away your doll to another artist who'd do the face-up. But if I think the style is just irresistible I think I'd do it. I already spotted some artists here on DoA I'd dieeeeeee for getting a face-up done by them.

10. I draw face-ups by myself. But if company face-up is good, I'll order it.
      My friend collects BJDs as collectibles (fullsets only), she accepts only company face-ups. And if she gets a doll with custom face-up, she sends the head to the manufacturer and purchases its face-up service.

11. Yes, well this is an argument I totally forgot about! Collecting only full-sets is a way of doing this hobby as well. I'm super curious about the following: if she purchased a doll 2nd hand that is no longer produced and has no company fave-up, does the company still do the face-up that doll had originally?

12. @OnlyPaintMode
      "if she purchased a doll 2nd hand that is no longer produced and has no company fave-up, does the company still do the face-up that doll had originally?"
      She has only one doll like that - Volks girl (I forgot its mold). She sent the head to the French face-up artist, who draws very delicate face-ups. That was expensive, but the collectible item must be expensive and perfect.

13. Makes sense. Otherwise it would be nonsense to collect dolls as a full-set. Thank you for answering. <3

14. I generally find company faceups not to my liking, so I go looking for owner photos or look at the blank faces to get a feel for the features I want and imagine a character over it. I much prefer custom.
      Also, it feels a little creepy buying a doll that is nearly identical to however many are out there with the same faceup. I like to customize them to give them life of their own, individuality.

15. Even thought I don't have a bjd yet, I prefer company. That's because I screwed up my previous barbie doll and obitsu azone hybrid doll. When I get better at my art and makeup skills, then I'll do it.

16. Yeah the nervousness of doing the face up myself is stopping me from trying. Especially because most bjds are too expensive to risk failure in my opinion. I saw some cheap practice heads on amazon I might try out some time though!

17. Omg so true! XD

18. And that's a great idea!

19. Like loom at this faceup!
      [​IMG]

20. Sorry, here's the link...
      [​IMG]