1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Darker Skin Tones?

Nov 29, 2005

1. Rarely tinybear has dark tan dolls

2. Just a warning, the BBB tan is *not* very dark at all. It looks more like a tanned white person than a black person.

3. Well, any bobobie or resinsoul doll can be made in dark tan/black colours, though they call it different names. Cookie and Chocolate are not normally black dolls, my Cookie is yellow. Note, there is a difference between 'tan' and 'dark tan'. Bobobie does not cast them often though
      I don't know of anything specific, but wasn't fairyland making 'chocolate' skin dolls?

4. From the dolls you've mentioned, it simply sounds like you're looking for a dark tan doll. The only ones with really AA features are Mellow Cole, Cocori & Aaron. And one limited Jewel doll by Volks.

5. Fairyland's chocolate colour was more of a medium tan, not as dark as the name implies.

Volks has done a couple of dolls in "ebony" skin (which again isn't as dark as the name implies- it looks like a medium-dark tan, darker than sunlight) and I think it's quite likely they will use this skin colour for future US Dolpa limiteds since both ebony dolls so far were originally released for US Dolpas. Irvin is an SD13 boy so he'd be the one that's possibly of more interest to you.

6. actually, this is incorrect. I have two of the dark tan Bobobie dolls. Cookie, and Chocolate. They are a deep, dark, rich chocolate tan. The color of the average african American person.

they have two different types of tan. there is tan like the color you mention, and there is dark tan, like an african american person. the only thing is, i've heard that you have to make a special request now to get the darker tan

7. and Don't forget Kamau. He's the new Iple boy, and he's defiantely a black man.

8. Volks SD16 Ruby is a gorgeous mold that is tan and the sculpt can be seen as Latin, Indian, Native American, Arabian, African and African American. IMHO

9. I never wanted dark resin. Too much trouble to take care of, plus I'm picky about the color. I personally think it's hit or miss with some companies.

10. I've wanted a black doll since I got into bjds. I understand the difficulties involved in acheiving the colour but I see Dollmore have one in their Model doll collection. She also has Afro-Carribean features so she looks authentic, rather than just a dark version of an Asian sculpt. I was wondering if anyone else had her and could give me feedback.

11. There are a few issues with darker skinned dolls as far as craft goes.

Resin is a naturally light colour. Now, when a light skinned doll is made, there are already a lot of issues. Most of these dolls are made where there is a lot of humidity which makes the procedure go at a success rate at about 1 out of 10.

When a darker skinned doll is made, a lot of pigment must be added to the resin and this makes it harder to set. Also, there is marbling that could (and often does) happen.

Iplehouse does make some very dark dolls, but they don't offer them all the time.

12. Personally, every dark skinned doll ive seen just looks absolutely stunning,

I do see them now and again, but they are more expensive. I guess it is just more costly to paint the doll darker?

13. They're not painted :sweat

The resin is tinted.
      Some dolls have the tan all the way through.
      Where as some tanned dolls, the tan is only on the first few layers of resin - And the rest of the resin is light underneath - That's why they don't reccommend sanding them.

The reason for the high cost is because they have high failure rates .
      The dark tint makes it harder for the resin to cure properly.
      And it is very possible for marbling, lightness patches, etc.

Iplehouse told me that about only 1 in 10 tan dolls (Aaron,Cocori in particular),
      are good enough for sale - the other 9 are no good - They're just very difficult to get right.
      This pushes the price up.
      :)

ETA:
      LOL - I wrote all that out, noy reading the rest of the thread, in reply to the last post - Just to see Leenah has already said what
      I spent ages typing! :lol::lol:!!

14. This thread hasn't been updated in over a year - does anybody have any new news on dark skinned dolls? I'd like to add one to my collection but most of the dark dolls mentioned previously don't show on the current manufacturers sites. The two that do appear are sold out! :...(
      This link http://www.angelicdreamz.com/JAMIEshow-Kyra-Basic-Doll-_p_4117.html shows a doll that in itself is probably off topic for DoA, but is definitely RESIN and definitely dark.

15. Iplehouse just had an ebony skinned JID girl, Benny, but she's "sold out" now. Here's hoping for an ebony JID boy soon!

16. Iple just added Bichun as well, he's not quite DARK, but he's still pretty tan.

17. Iplehouse custom system will allow you to get up to Light Tan level of darkness (for now) and is a standard service that will be happening monthly. I hear they are trying for ebony as well.

Dollstown has 3 darker shades that are also available as standard, as does Dollshe.

Many Chinese companies offer a light tan option for their dolls, and I think BBB/Resinsoul has a dark tan option as well.

Not too sure about everything else, though.