1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Darker Skin Tones?

Nov 29, 2005

1. Have you seen this doll.
      http://denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49373&highlight=estella
      She is a dyed dollstown Estella. Not only is the "dye job" fantastic, she also has what I think are realistic features for an african american Her owner has done an excellent tutorial on how she did it too. I am considering trying this for the same reasons as you.
      Good luck on your search

2. Thank you so much for the link, it did have some good answers for me. But I still don't understand that if some of the wonderful members here can make it happen, and seemingly very easy, why can't they just do it the same way?

I remeber one of the members here had this beautiful modded Hound he was a black elf lord of some kind, and I wanted him but I didn't win the bid:(, but anyway so may of the cool folks here do it .

I am not one of the cool folks sad but true, I wouldn't know where or how to start, and if I ruined one of my babies, I would just die.

Anyhow, being a woman of color, I thank you all for not taking this the wrong way, and like I said before thank you guys for any and all help :)

3. I think it is something we'll start to see more of. i think its unfair. The general look of ABJDs is large eyes and smaller noses and lips to make up for it. that's why putting dark skin on a normal doll doesnt give it an african look.
      It reminds me of how in the 80s they came out with "black" barbies which had the exact same look, straight hair, the same nose, lips, it just had black hair and brown plastic.

i tried making a black BJD but it didnt turn out good bcause the joints didnt work too well. I was using super sculptey which is a sonuvabitch to work with.

perhaps you should suggest this on Artist's Asian-styled BJD's. Or request pictures.

4. The main problem with just dying a doll is that if you scratch it or remove it's face-up too harshly, or sand it, then the original colour shows through. True, a similar thing happens on Tan dolls, but not nearly to the same degee.

5. The darker dolls are SO much harder to make. They cost more because they waste so many dolls for so few perfect darker dolls. They would lose a lot of money and waste a lot of time if they made dark-skinned dolls standard.

And why would they bother making an entirely new sculpt with new features if they can only make 50 of them? It's just not practical. It makes more sense to just dye a doll yourself or have someone else dye it.

6. You know...they really should make one from vinyl like they do barbies. It could still be string, just vinyl. Kinda like DD's I. thye could easily give it less "anime" characteristics.
      As for making one of your babies dark, you should post in the customizers spot in the marketplace that you want to commission some one to do it!
      I am sure someone can!!! (that is if you really want to).
      There are lots of peole here who are very talented. ^_^
      As for taking offense, no need to worry! It is a very resonable concern. Especially if you are giving these compaines tons of money you wanna make sure their reasons are legitamate for not making dark skinned dolls. (it was one of my main concerns).

7. you guys have to remember these dolls are orginally made to sell to asians, who find the pale pale look very desireable.
      an hey, I go by the policy of "If no one will make it, I might as well make it for myself"

8. Yes, I know this. That is why it was one of my main concerns. I really do not want to give a company lots of my money if they think that being of darker skin is not desirable ( I mean on a personal level not market). I understnad if there is no market, but it is nice to know that they are willing to try and are not biased towards it.

9. I'm sorry to tell you but there is a big asian bias towards darker skin. and if they don't know if there's gonna be a large market for it, they won't make it.

10. I understand that, but there is a difference between disliking it and disliking it and refusing to make dolls if there is a market.
      I am trying to draw a line between no market demand and just plain out racism.

I think some companies are willing if there is a market, but others won't because of serious personal bias. Thats all.

I do not wanna get this thread locked, so I think I will just say I love you all!!!!!
      Hugs!!!

11. I don't follow how that's racist. If they don't want to make dark-skinned dolls, then they don't have to, market or not. If a company makes only boy dolls, just because they want to, does that make them sexist?

Edit: Definitely not trying to start anything here, just friendly discussion ^_^

12. Ow gawd please lets not get to the whole rasicm issue =_=..i mean dark resin is just hard to make and besides that it can't be sanded etc etc..dark resin has just too much issues to keep in mind.
      =_= and anyway....í completely understand why normal to white skin is easier to make and sell.

O_O I'm tan too...and I've always wanted a tan Unoa..luckely Araki is busy with his new fashion doll and I hope to get a Choco!

Anyways some1 is selling a tan Lishe on Doa..you can make an offer ^_^..iff you really really want a tan girl..^_^..

13. I'm a "women of color" too and we shouldn't expect asians to make black dolls anytime soon. They where marketed to asian in the first place and when they started selling over seas, they had caucasians in mind *shrug* sad? I know. I'm not saying asians are agressive racists...let's just say...."black" isn't their thing. It's a cultural thing, it goes way back.

There are tanned ( Luts make the darkest, I think)...but that's about it.

Maybe in a couple of year they'll open up to make a wider range of dolls.
      Right now, I'm enjoying my "asian" doll.

14. I don't really see the racism, either ^^;;

There's a small demand for dark-skinned dolls, and probably not enough for the market to make expensive molds and produce them, since people have said, it's extremely hard to make them. They'd lose more money than they'd make with these things.

I mean, to make it less controversial, let's take an example with clothing. Yellow clothes are more popular, sell well, and are much easier to make than other colors. Now, a small population want blue clothes, but they are difficult to make, they don't come out well, and are easy to damamge. It costs alot more to make the blue clothes, and while people may buy them, the companies don't know if the entire public will enjoy them, y'know?

Sounds ranty, I'm sorry, but I've seen this come up quite a few times and it always comes to the same conclusion ><

15. If the racist remarks should stop, or this will turn into a wasteland, which I dont want to see because this is an intersting thread.
      You have to remember, some companies are not just money hungry, and any company has the right to refuse to make anything, whether theres a market for it or not.
      Its known that making a darker skinned doll is harder, more time consuming and a heck of alot more expensive to make for the companies. Thats why most of them havnt made tanned/dark skin dolls yet.
      And to answer the question about more african american style doll. Do you see alot of asian styled dolls in america? If you do, they were imported/ sculpted/ made by and asian person. You dont see alot of asian dolls in american doll artists collections, and heck, Barbie only has like one asian friend! LOL. So, its just the same. Everyones eyes see things differently, and where you reside has alot to do with it.
      *jen

16. You coudl look at this as an opertunity to learn to customize~ If there's a big market you cna tan other peopel's dolleis forthem and spread the coloured love <3 Soem dolleis do have the features that look more african (I thik CP Soony would look REALLY nice with chocolatey skin :3 Same with Souldoll's synder and sweeny~ :3)

17. Being a person of color, I am pretty upset with the lack of tan colored dolls as well. Also that I have to pay so much extra money for them. However, I think now that the asian companies are seeing how popular tanned dolls are and our wants for them, I can see more produced in the future.

Angelregion offers an Only For You system that allows you to order a tan doll for $498, that's a bit cheaper than getting sunlight doll from Tenshi no Sato (but ofy only does 43cm dolls right now).

When I first became interested in BJDS I didn't think there was a chance for me to get a tan doll at all and now more and more are popping up. I wouldn't despair ^.^.

Edit: Guys I think sweetest185 started this thread asking for an alternative rather than to start a racial argument.

18. Welcome to the board, and I hope that you will find the perfect doll for you. Tanned dolls are expensive because they're harder to make.

As for the reason behind few tanned dolls, GG. This topic has been beaten to death. x___x

19. deleting extremely repetitive post

20. *sigh* I really should not have gotten so mad...