1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Darker Skin Tones?

Nov 29, 2005

1. I merged sweetest185's thread on dark-skinned dolls with this one, so all the answers to her very good question are in the right place. :daisy

2. I'm not interesting in the darker dolls myself, but I looovelovelove the ones I've seen and I would like to see more, especially for people of African American or "darker" skinned decent.

3. I don't want get started on the whole race thing either, so please don't fry me for saying this! On people of color issue: dark skinned people aren't just limited to African American. There are Indian, some Brazillians, Native Americans, Southeast Asian, Somoan (not sure on spelling), and all those people that don't have naturally dark skin that tan their skin dark (like some Japanese and Korean hiphop artists) ...so why should the facial features of a doll be of concern?

All these darker skinned people have different facial features when compared to one another. I don't think it would be fair to say to make a tan doll look more African American since all the other groups would be ignored.

I like to view dolls as something exotic---> by this I mean they have striking qualities not seen often in everyday life. They aren't of one ethinicity but a blend of several unique features. A tan version of a doll is just another quality that makes the exoticness even more unique. And as said by other people, tan is very hard and expensive to make.

As for that thing about dark skin not being desireable in Asia, that's a load of $h!#. There are lots of Asian people that are dark skinned, and lots of the younger generation view dark skin as beautiful...so much that they spend lots of $$$ to get that look for themselves. People who think that Asians only value porcelain complexions are probably thinking of the really OLD generation.

Heck, I'm Asian! So let's stop with the "asian people make only light skin cuz they hate dark skin" notions already.

4. Yeah-- I believe it's just the process is difficult, that is why they are not offered as much.
      But we can see a new trend now.
      Cerberus Project, Dream of Doll, Dollshe, Volks-- you can get Tan dolls now
      You just have to get them at the right time : o

5. I don't remember if I posted this before (ah, old age!) but I had really wondered if it was true the stories I had heard and read about concerning the difficulties of darker colored resins and bjds. Then, I bumped into a husband of a doll acquaintance of mine, who told me he used to work for the U.S. branch of Tomy (toy) Industries. He confirmed that there was always problems with the color consistency of tan colored plastics and resins in general! And he said that the management/manufacturers even discouraged them from designing resin products in that color because of the unevenness and blotchiness of the color (and potential unevenness) in the end product. So, there it is, from the mouth of an ex-toy engineer! Alex

6. I am a woman of color and I don't expect the tan market to boom or anything. I'll just have my sister tan my dolls until I can get my hands on a tanning Ren. She tanned my first doll if you want to take a look:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49643
      Again I thank you lil sis.

Honestly I didn't believe that many people liked tanned dolls because when I go to the marketplace I see people selling them saying that they were to scary. For the people that really want them I'm sure you'll all find a way to get one.

7. Wow!! :o Your girl is beautiful!! :D How was she tanned? Did your sister airbrush her?

And don't feel bad. Alot of people today think that BJDs are scary no matter what color their skin is. I don't know why they would think your girl is scary though, becouse I think she is lovely. :chibi :aangel:

8. IBTL

This is one of my favorite threads on dying a doll darker. I plan on doing it to my Luts Soony when I get her home: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36686

LOL Rona already posted pics of the same doll. But I'll leave my link since it is a How-To thread

9. I LOVE my DoT Tan Shall! I think she looks like a gorgeous supermodel from India. She really stands out among my other dolls. Some people thought DoD's tanned resin was too light, but I think it's perfect for my character. I don't think she really looks black/African/whatever...definately more Indian...actually she looks a lot like my buddy Rashita from high school. :)

10. A nice warm dark skintone is difficult to make, for some reason pigmented resin tends to blue shift colors (browns end up burgundy) or with an odd purple overcast.

Its taken me over a year to figure out how make a nice dark skin resin that goes all the way through the doll, and not just how to get the proper color but also how to get a cast with no blemishes and how to remove the seams without lightening.

Needless to say its allot more work than casting a white or a pale skinned doll and that's the main reason the dark skinned dolls are more expensive.

for those who haven't seen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im at the moment drilling and sanding all of his parts, he was supposed to be finished a few weeks back but ive been in and out of town all month and commission work comes before my creative experimentation.

take care all,

11. Donn, though I don't think I;ve ever told you this- your boys are amazing. And on my list.... ^_-

12. Donn- WOW. He's stunning!

13. :aeyepop: Donn....whoa.......like WHOA...he looks so GOOD! This is a nice surprise!

14. She used Tan RIT dye and used the stovetop method.

15. Donn, I love your dark skin chap (sigh). Another one for my wish-list!

16. Ohhh Donn, wow wow wow!!!!!

You already know that to have one of your guys is a wish for me:), and now seeing this one you have moved up the chain of I must have that doll!!!!

Errica

17. Donn, I love the color on that doll O_O

I just wanted to add that I love all the tanned dolls companies have made so far. This is easy for me to say as a Thai woman. The shade of tan companies like DOD and Soul Doll or CP have managed to make work well for southeast asians, latin americans, mediterraneans.... So I must agree the only reason a darker shade hasn't been created yet is the difficulty of putting one into production. If only 1 of 5 tanned Hounds comes out even imagine the loss of Hounds when only 1 of 10 darker tanned Hounds comes out even. The financial loss is too risky for a company that caters to a small market, and as much as we love BJDs we have to realize that it's still a business.

18. the post was blocked? wow i had no idea. i would love to have a dark skinned coloured doll as i think they look so beautiful! it would be interesting to see what they would look like but yeah i reckon they proably are hard to make what with the amount of resin, that would be expensive right?

19. Dibs on marrying Bermann's sculptor.

20. Yeah! Dark skinned dolls!
      Tan, Brown, Dark-Brown, Black!!! and any other color you can come up with!
      That would be wonderful!

But you know... I am sure these are all coming down the pipe so to speak!
      Raven