1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Deciding color schemes for dolls

Nov 29, 2016

1. Yes my doll that I currently have, and the one I will be ordering soon definitely have set color pallets.

Callista (the doll in my avi) is a sort of 'nature' fairy and has a color pallet of browns, blues, and greenish tones, primarily. Though occasionally she'll wear other colors too, but usually only in her more modern outfits.

The doll I will be ordering is going to have a color pallet of reds, grays, and black. About the only exception to that will be his eyes which are going to be sort of an orange color, and perhaps the odd shirt or pants that will break the color theme but be in darker colors still.

2. Not really, I like to be able to dress them in anything, but I kind of need to be more open as I'm hoping to only have a few dolls this time round... but I also want to be able to make and buy clothing of all styles and colours. The hair I do a little more. Like my first doll will have mostly pale blond or purpleish hair, and my second I'm thinking blues or dark red colours.

I can't say I have certain colours I move toward, it depends on the doll, so I just have to see how I feel after I pick the doll I want. I do tend to plan the wig colour before I buy, but eyes I'll figure that out later.

I adore tan/darker skin tones with blond or dark brown hair, as well as dark green! I also love white skin with white hair and pink eyes!

As for resin, I prefer natural skin tones. In others dolls I tend to love the darker skin tones best, and the lightest white. I tend to go for the lighter skin colours but never white. I would go for tan, but I hear to many bad stories about tan resins... (I'm sure I'm just hearing the worst stories) I am seriously considering risking Luts with the brown skin, or Myou with their Coffee Skin though! If I find that works out fine then I'll think about getting a darker tanned doll, because I would love a really dark resin! I think it's Impldoll that has a really dark colour, I want that it looks so pretty! As for unnatural colours... I can only see going for a light blue, light green, or possibly gray.

3. ahh I'd love to post her but unfortunately she's an off-topic doll ;v; I'm still waiting to get someone made of resin so I can actually start posting pictures of them to the site!! (trying to get all my posts so I can get marketplace access!!)

4. It wasn't hard for me to pick color schemes, believe it or not.
      *Johnny has light brown hair and gray eyes, both neutrals that go with anything. I happen to love green, two and two came together, and my Johnny subsequently wears a fair amount of green. He doesn't wear it often enough that it could be considered "his color," but I'm working on that.
      *Alistair came to me with red default eyes. They look so good with his pale resin that I made that his default color. He also wears a lot of black and strangely, quite a bit of pink. "What is pink but a lighter shade of red?" he always says.
      *Chloe is a green Bobobie. Even though I like green, I don't want to dress her in a lot of it because it's too matchy-matchy. Since Chloe is a YoSD-sized doll a lot of the clothes that fit her are styled for little girls, and a lot of those pieces are in shades of pink. So I didn't really choose pink for Chloe, but it suits her impish personality so I'm okay with that.
      *Johanna is a pastel-lover. She'll wear pink, lavender, mint, light yellow, light blue, you name it. She also likes neutrals, so often found in mori style.
      *Guinevere is Johanna's half-sister, and the half-siblings are surprisingly inseparable. Guinevere likes to wear outfits that are similar to Johanna's, but in contrasting colors. She is subsequently fond of blue, black, violet, pastels, and neutrals. She's not as fond of pink as some of my other characters are, but she'll wear it without making a fuss.
      *Ylla does not yet live among my flock. If any of you out there are Ray Bradbury fans then the name "Ylla" ought to give you an idea of what this doll will look like. I plan for her to be deeply tan with golden eyes and red hair. With that color combination finding things that will look good have been a bit of a challenge, so I've stuck with deep colors like dark purple, deep blue, and maroon. As with Johanna and Guinevere, neutrals will also be used a lot.
      *Niki does not live with me either. His character usually does everything possible to avoid being noticed, so gray will likely be Niki's dominant color...unless Anne can bully him into wearing something else.

I think that leaves Anne and Roger unaffiliated if I don't count my two long shots. None of them have a color yet, but that could very well change so this post will likely see future edits.

#24 RagingMoon1987, Dec 18, 2016
      Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    5. Only a few of my dolls seem to have set color schemes.
      Blaze is tan with yellow-orange eyes, and a dark brown wig. She wears mostly warm colors pinks and browns. That seems too fit both her character and appearance.
      Ephemera is Soom's "coffee black" which in most lighting looks like grape juice- dark purple, with a purple streaked silver wig and grey eyes. So far she mostly wears white, but pastel colors would also look good on her.
      Lilith is tan with dark eyes and hair, and she's a little girl, so she mostly wears bright colors.

The others don't have favored colors yet, partially since they're missing eyes, wigs or face-ups. I'll fix that eventually...

6. General themes, for some of them. Azrael, for instance, has a black and white colourscheme, and Rina goes for black and purple, Balik has a galaxy thing going, tacet's pastel, Frost is blue and white, and I did plan these all out before taking any dolls in.

Admittedly, I have a huge pull toward black and red in general. I have 5 dolls with black hair either here or planned, and 4-6 red depending on funding...

As for unique colours, I've seen some fantastic fantasy resin, like deep purple and jet black. As for colours I'd have never imagined going together, I've seen some splendid blue blushing on dolls, I've seen vivid blue... the sky is the limit.

Resin colours, I decide by characters... the thing is, this also means lots of tan resin (6), and some fantasy resin (3 with clear parts, 3 in fantasy colours). I also have some paperwhite (3) some pale ns (5) and some regular NS dolls (2)--bear in mind half of these are just plans... I choose which colours go with which resin by doing mockups, because, at least with my dark purple beauty, Google wasn't really brimming with results. There was a lot of work on which colours looked right (purple with blue undertones is going to fight anything orangey, and then trying to find cool hues of colours to use... ultimately, her blushing will be in a lighter pink, darker purple and a few shades of blue.

I also have a paper white doll, her girlfriend, ironically, who is getting primarily black and white for blushing, because she has blackish blood, which was a storyline decision.

7. Do you ever plan out a general color theme for your dolls?
      I decided my first doll will wear a lot of blueish hues.
      Do your dolls ever have any specific colors they tend to gravitate to, whether it's a wig, eyes, or clothes?
      do you plan the color themes out before the purchase or after.
      For the most part I use crème colors along with light pastels for Abigail. Sometimes I use darker colours.
      With Simon I use dark colours with whites and sometimes mix bright colors in.
      My no named doll doesn't have clothes but I will get bright blues.
      And the doll I'm waiting on will wear a lot of gold with black and bolder clothing.

8. I don't plan out color themes, not really. I just go with whatever fits my mood since I tend to change my doll's clothes and hair fairly often.

9. This wasn't something I originally did but I've started to get more involved with color schemes lately. My first few dolls were pretty haphazard and it was difficult for me to flesh them out because my ideas were so vague. It just felt like I had a lot of incomplete dolls and tons of clothes and accessories that never really amounted to a coherent character or personality.

I've planning out two current dolls and both have been given color schemes - opal and rainbow obsidian. The idea was originally just to get them polished cabochon eyes in those colors but it has evolved from there and it looks like one girl will end up light and opalescent and the other will be darker, with dark rainbow hues. The latter may even end up dyed but I'm still debating that. Honestly, it's been very helpful and has opened up a lot of creative possibilities that I may have overlooked if I just stuck to my usual non-planning.

10. I try to have a plan, but they never seem to work out well. With my doll, my plan was to have her colors be black and purple.. My favorite colors. Unfortunately, once I put everything I had picked out on her it didn't fit her at all. It seems the image in my mind isn't what she wanted. It felt all wrong. So right now I'm back at the drawing board trying to go another direction. I think she is more of a red than a purple.. Oh well. I'll save purple for the next doll!:XD:

11. Ramses favors bright red. Etienne likes sage green, black , blue, and gray, and other muted masculine colors. Nefertari and Lili only wear white. Epiphany is a pirate and steals anything she likes, so far her favorite thing is a blue green silk gown. Lahela favours the exotic, and wears African prints and batiks and tends toward bright eye searing reds, oranges, and light bright blue. Jilly likes dark blue, forest green, deep red, bright jewel like colors, deeply saturated.

12. I'm not sure if I think of color schemes for clothes necessarily, but I definitely think of colors for my dolls' skin, because a lot of my characters are fantasy creatures and things like that.

The boy I just bought (a DZ Carter) is a selkie, so he's gonna have patches of color on his face and body, and, though I haven't decided exactly where yet, I think it's going larger patches of light grey and smaller bits of white to break them up, then dark grey freckles and pale pink accents, more like blushing that actual painting. His eyes will be a contrasting teal. His clothes, though, could be almost anything, because he has both tribal and modern influences in his backstory. (Basically, he's my experimentation child. :lol:)

So I do technically choose color palettes, just not for clothing! I have another set of boys that will be gold, blue, and white (Miracle Doll Jing and Alieen Dolls Cedric), and gold, green, and brown (DC Lance).

Though...Fletcher, who'll be a Gem of Doll Moky, does kind of have have a palette for clothes. He'll have a lot of creams and golds and light blues, but also really just want to be able to put him in whatever frilly YoSD stuff I can find, 'cause he's so cute. :XD: (This got kinda long...whoops.)

13. I definitely do think of color palettes for my dolls! Sticking to those palettes, though; that's the hard part.

Hemlock was originally supposed to be silver, blue, white and pink, but then he insisted on green and brown, too. Then I was planning a yukata for him and it turned into gold and red! My brain, it just does whatever it wants. :...( (I'm still desperately clinging to my plan for a blue, white and pink kimono for him though and nothing will stop me!)

My DZ Mo-2 was originally going to be mostly black and neutrals, but now I'm making him an orange wig?? And there's a green and gold jacket in the works?? With matching pants? What is happening.

14. my girl Andy, her color schemes are mostly pastel and light blue. for Astrea, she goes with whatever color as long as it is light and fits her aesthetic but she loves pink the most.

15. My first doll's style is going to be mostly black, red and white since those colors suit her. : 3 She's a Japanese ghostie. Her wigs are going to be black or white, nothing colorful. I don't know about her eyes though, that's a tricky choice. I bet the choice is going to be easier once I get her and see her face. I might like the eyes she comes with, who knows!

That being said, I would LOVE to have a doll that has a mint chocolate color scheme. =w= Brown and mint green. Such a good combination. <3

16. I don't really plan a colour scheme. I dress my dolls in colours that are complimentary to their skin/hair/eye colour and that look flattering on them. Some dolls, like some real people, can wear just about any colour and look good, while others really only shine in a few colours. Others, while they look good in a lot of colours, might only wear a certain colour because it makes sense for the character the doll represents. I generally don't plan this ahead of time, unless it's character-related. It's usually something I determine once the doll is in my hands and I have their proper wig and eyes.

17. I like to dress my dolls in both a time period style along with color- mostly in shades of neutrals with small pops of color.

18. I try to plan the color theme for the doll before it arrives. It's easier to decide wigs, eyes and makeup if I'm drawn into something specific theme. Mostly my dolls tend to have black/white/grey/different shades of brown colored theme. Bums me a little bit tho, because it would be nice to try something different for once. But when I try something new, I feel little uncomfortable and return to the old color themes that my other dolls have... I just don't seem to be fully satisfied if the color theme is something I'm not used to and is too different compared to others :O

I have one doll, that has specific effect color, and it's raspberry pink :'D She has lips and eyeshadow of that color and I like her to have some pop of certain kind of pinks on her outfits. Like in the necklaces or prints! Just ordered new wig for her in that color, so let's see how that works out.
      I really like basically anything on dolls if the colors compliment each other. I wish I could pull up some of the styles I've seen on my dolls as well:<

Someday I really like own a grey doll! Or greyish-lilac, that would be cool as well. That would make me go out of my comfortzone and try out new things!

19. I tend to dress my dolls in color palettes that compliment their current face-up, eye color and wig, so it changes when I change my dolls, and they enjoy cosplay so they tend to change on a regular basis. It seems like I get obsessed and totally indulge in one character, enjoy it for a period of time and then I'm off to the next. This way of making clothing really limits any mix and match options as clothing items are too specific to one character.

20. After years in the hobby, I just discovered color schemes for dressing my dolls, and I like it. My first one was completely by accident. I went with a black and white theme as the doll is white skin with a black wig. He looks so put together. My second was a fullset outfit in tans. It looks so good and matches his wig, and skin tone, it gave me the idea to try simple color schemes for the rest of my dolls. The one I'm working on now will be three shades of blue with white. Really simple, but easy to put together and I don't have glaring mis matches that bother me so much.