1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Deciding skin tones

Mar 31, 2018

1. This is really reassuring for me! I recently ordered a girl I adore in a white skintone and I'm so nervous that I might not like it! However, I'm sure once I get her it'll put my fears to rest. She's so beautiful and other people didn't order as many white, so she'll be unique!

To answer the question, I chose her based off of a mood board I designed for her. I chose the tone I thought would look best, which was a pale tone since she'll be sort of witchy and pastel goth. :)

2. Would love to hear how you like/love her when she arrives !

3. The tanned skin always hit me with doubt. :lol: Whenever the company gives a few selection of tanned skin, I begin to doubt my first choice... Maybe light tan will be okay... wait... dark mocha looks better... eh... how about... and on, and on... until I dunno. :doh

4. Omfg I am struggling with whether I want a supia Jacob in tan or ns. It's killing me lol

5. For me, I will not choose white skin, because of the yellowing is super noticeable, and for some company, it is actually greening. Normal skin is a really good choice. If you are not sure to buy a tan skin or not, you can Photoshop the skin color to see if it look good or not

6. Absolutely! The only resin color I don't really like is that grey/purple one, but other than that almost every doll looks amazing in all colors, it's so hard to decide!

7. I have got dolls in a variety of skin colour from paper white to ebony and any time I ordered colour darker than normal, it had unexpected results. Rebecca from April Story was the most dramatic arrival - instead of the rich and bright brown that the pictures presented, I got brownish ebony colour. It made me completely change my plans for the doll, but I did not lose my enthusiasm for the sculpt at all. Since then I decided to always wait for the doll to actually arrive before planning what to do with him/her, just in case.

I had a dilemma once about deciding on a doll colour. It was when I was getting my Wol heads. In the end, I got both artist cast tawny skin, and normal...

8. It was harder for me to choose skin tone when I first joined the hobby because it used to take me longer to choose the direction I wanted to take with the doll. I did purchase a doll in paper white because I thought it would be the closest match to the character, but it ended up being too white, so I ended up selling it and buying an NS version and was much happier with it. Other dolls, like Soom Amber, I'd love one of each color because I love the sculpt so much XD But overall, white, tan, and grey are my favorite skin tones for BJDs :)

9. well... can't say that it's that difficult for me, since i am not a fan of normal skin. my fave skin colors are dark tan or gray... so these will often be my choices. but, if i can't get these colors. i would settle for paper white...

10. Skin tones I choose usually fall to normal pink/oriental. It's a pretty easy choice for me as I don't like white as a skin colour, too fair for my taste/character ideas. Another reasoning is, it's easier to go darker from normal pink/oriental through blushing or dyeing than it is the other way round.

11. That's so funny, that's the one color desperately want!!

12. It may be because I'm a newbie, but I tend to just go with plain white because it's cheap, easy to match and naturally lends itself to the sort of gothy ghoulish look I generally go for with my characters/faceups. I feel like now that I'm more confident I might venture into other colors though.

But honestly, I'll do whatever is most readily available? I haven't really found myself in the position of actually choosing my resin color much, it just sorta falls in my lap...

13. I'm really boring, because for my collection, I'll go with NS. Tan colors are lovely, but the tan dolls I've had made me nervous to touch them, afraid I would somehow damage the resin and it would really show. White skin dolls on the other hand... they're too white for me. I owned one and it didn't work out.

NS is for me the happy middle-ground. Now, if I had to choose between a lighter normal skin, or a slightly darker one, I'd pick the darker. And I try to avoid very pinky skintones, prefering a yellow undertone.

14. I like tan dolls, so I will often pick tan if a company offers it. I like how much the color varies between companies.Two of my dolls I got partly because they came in tan! For companies that don't make tan I prefer NS to white. Some times I decide skin tones based on the character I have in mind. I had a hard time choosing a color between all the varieties of tan made by Granado, and used the intended ethnicity to decide.

I have two that are in fantasy skin tones, both of which were not the same color in person as they appeared online. Soom's "Coffee Black" Noellia is grape juice purple. I was a bit dismayed when I first got her, but it ended up working for her. And Soom's "light violet" Juchy is light blue with a bit of a purple tint. It's a pretty color, even if it isn't quite what I was expecting.

#34 Leo Pheonix, Apr 22, 2018
      Last edited: May 3, 2018
    15. I have always dreamed of having a white skin tone for one of my dolls and so far it hasn't happened yet.

16. I picked Simone's skin tone (NS) because it was in stock and I intended her to be a human character. I strongly considered getting Zea in green, but I figured white would be more versatile for different types of characters if I decided I didn't want to go with an alien girl.

17. I generally don't have this problem when the doll I want is only offered in lighter skin tones or the character in my mind calls for lighter skin tone, I always go for the oriental/pinkish tone. I had once a white skin doll and I didn't like it and with time she went a bit greenish so it put me off of getting a white skin tone again, but maybe at some point I'll try again, never say never like they say.
      When it comes to tan skin though then it's when I have more problems deciding, especially the last time with my Dollshe Angela, it took me days to decide. I was between two skin tones and basically the pictures of the skin tones on Dollshe's website and from people around all looked different, in some one looked darker, the other lighter and so on. Couldn't find photos of that specific sculpt because there are almost none around and I went for the one tone lighter and then during the waiting time I saw one around with the darker one and I realised that I had made a mistake because I like more the darker one, but oh well, I still love her nonetheless xD

18. I have this dilemma between white and yellow. Not a fan of tan skin tone. I think it is an Asian thing to prefer lighter skin tone.