1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Designing your doll work/storage room

Apr 21, 2005

1. I would love to design a whole room for my dolls, but I can't do that. first because the only extra room I have is the guest room, and second because I have 3 cats and it's quite impossible to prevent them for getting anywhere :sweat

so in my guest room I put some Ikea shelves and, apart from loading them with books & crap stuff, I reserved a couple of shelves for making something for my dolls :) luckily, my cats leave them be and never pay attention to the shelves

[​IMG]

apart from books & dolls, this shelve serves as my craft supplies storage place, thus the horrible mess you can see. sorry about that :sweat

2. If I had a doll room ... It would probably also double as my painting studio. Obviously I wouldn't leave the dolls next to paint tools or cans of solvent or anything- they would probably have their own shelf or space of some sort with their own mini set up (plus I am generally a watercolour painter anyway, so its not as messy). I definitely plan on having some sort of studio in my home once I leave college, so I think that would be prefect as my own private multi-use room.

As for decorating it ... I would probably end up painting the walls myself whenever I felt like it xD Leave the walls white and whatever happens to them happens. The floor would have to be some kind of hard surface; I think wood would be nice, either something light to brighten the room up, or something dark to hide any stains. I'm not really one for fancy set ups. Sure, they're pretty, but for me, I want to feel like it is my space and it is where I live and work. As for the style of the room and the style I have in mind for my dolls, well, I think they would fit in xD I would end up getting plastic bins or cabinets for their stuff to keep in a closet, since that's what I use for all my art supplies (I keep it in a plastic bin tucked under my bed back home- I also have a small closet dedicated entirely to my supplies. Unfortunately, I don't have that space here, so everything is in stacked bins in a corner).

It would probably end up being really messy, but I can't help that, I'm a very messy person :lol:

p.s. To the other petites that posted here? I'm fully grown and just under 5'0" xD; and I don't have a stool ... Which is rather irritating when your bed is over 5 ft off the ground. *_* My doll/work room would end up having very low shelves ...

p.s.s. Siruveru - I spot Hide plushies xD A friend of mine has those 2 plus at least 3 others, haha. They're cute

3. I WANT a doll room...maybe one day.

4. Wow, I dream of someday being able to afford a home with enough rooms to have a room entirely dedicated to dolls alone. *L* I had never thought that ambitiously... Perhaps because I need my 'spare room' to be a working art studio, wherever I live (much to the chagrin of my girlfriend, who would prefer a conversion to a walk-in closet X3). The most ambitious I have ever gotten in my plans for a home for my dolls is the large armoire I intend to build when my gf and I buy our first home. I would like to replicate a Chinese wedding cabinet, with a large open space to permit standing room for my largest dolls, in which I would construct a detailed scene... I would like to replicate the cafe and wunderkammer in which my dolls' characters reside in my storyline. I plan to electrically wire the cabinet so doll-scale lanterns, latticed lightbox 'windows' and such can be turned on within the space. Beneath the large display space I plan a set of drawers for storing clothing and accessories, as well as a filing slot for any paperwork I might get with my dolls, such as certificates of authenticity and the like. My goal is to get my whole collection into a relatively small space with doors that can tidily and attractively close when my gf doesn't want to look at my dolls. :lol: But this can't really be built until I know the dimensions of the space in which I will live long term. And it sure as hell wouldn't fit in my current rental apartment. :kitty1:

5. Congratulations of your first house! I love old farmhouses too & your's sounds wonderful. That purple & orange though needs to go. (Well, at least it would for me.) I like your idea of soft rose tones & vintage Valentines. If anything, I'd say keep it simple so the dolls are the focus of the room.

I used to have a doll room but I had to move my elderly Mom in & that was my only extra room. So now my dolls are in cases & shelves scattered through out the house. I'd love to have a big room just for them with custom built 2' deep glass display cases to keep the dolls in with room for their furniture & accessories. I like to have my dolls doing something rather than just standing in a display. I'd probably paint the room a soft blue or rose with possibly white wainscotting. But alas, I have neither the room or the funds to it.

Best of luck on whatever theme you decide for your room. It'll be fun putting it together.

6. I unfortunately don't have a room just for dolls. I wish I did, though!

If I did, I'd want it to be pale pink and blue <3 With a nice table for sewing projects, shelves for wigs and furniture and my doll family! Ohhh~

7. Currently I don't have a dedicated doll room as until May I'm in a (really tiny) apartment on campus, and at home my room has too much other stuff in it - there's hardly room for me! :lol::sweat The kids do have one of those click-together shelving units from Target or Wal-Mart.

Hopefully I'll be able to set aside a separate space for them once I get settled in a permanent/semi-permanent place of my own. I know they'd like somewhere that was just for them (and their stuff) instead of having to put up with clutter ^^

8. Oh lawd to have my own doll room. -Dreams-

The walls would be a light sunny yellow, with beautiful hardwood floors, big windows. I'd put in custom built-in cabinets to keep my kids in when not playing with them. I'd have a big, plush area rug and beanbag chairs for sitting on the floor when playing with and posing them..Lots of storage space for their clothes and things..Plenty of space for photoshoots, playing, posing :sigh If only.

9. I wouldn't make a doll room. It'd be kinda weird for me, to be honest. Now if I were to have a craft room, then I would put my BJDs there or if I had an art studio. Though, I wouldn't want to put them on shelves... ^^;

10. I have plans for a doll room one day. It will be elegant goth.

11. First, congrats on your house! That's a big deal! *confetti*

We don't have a dedicated room, but the breakfast nook doesn't really get used for eating, it's more of a craft area. There's an easel set up by the bay window, and then a doll-sized chair on the table amid all the sewing and face-up stuff. (and a metal table outside under the awning for spraying MSC-- plenty of air flow, but out of the sunshine, and pretty near the nook)

Someday I'd love to have a room just for doll stuff. I think the room itself wouldn't be decorated so much as I'd like to have little 'rooms' set up and designed differently. (I've got some kitschy postcards to put up in doll rooms-- one is actually a repro pulp novel cover, the other is a B movie poster)

=^__^=
      Anneko

12. I don't have a designated doll room but I am lucky enough to have a designated work/sewing room. It is painted light yellow - windows are northern exposure looking out in to the top of a crabapple tree. Ceiling is sky blue. I have a wall of shelves which house quilting fabric and doll stuff. My dolls sit there - usually covered with fabric to protect them from the light and they also sit on my cutting table (also covered with fabric for light protection when I'm not in the room). It is always messy - I share with my daughter and her dolls - and 7 yo's are not good at picking up. My husband thinks we should get a display cabinet but I haven't found one that I really like yet. If that happens the dolls will move to the "library room". It's the darkest room in the house so they wouldn't need to live under fabric.