1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did anyone get into doll collecting because they’re stuck at home a lot?

Mar 24, 2019

1. Thanks for your responses everyone. I feel much less alone when I’m well enough to get on here. I’m so happy to have this connection with all of you. You brighten my day! Thanks again for responding.

2. Reviving this thread! Particularly for those of us often at home due to illness or disability, how do you find BJDs as a hobby?
      I was just saying elsewhere that I love how this is a hobby you can do without running around or being able to stand a lot. How when I go to a bjd con, the only difference between me and other hobbyists is that I use a wheelchair part time and take a lot of naps between panels or meetups. We're able to be pretty involved whenever we have the energy to just type a little on DoA or sit and sew things, or even just look at everyone else's dolly pics.

3. With the recent pandemic issues, I assume this hobby has been a godsend to many of us. Now that we have vaccines and things have opened up more, I look back on the lockdowns and realize how my enjoyment of this hobby really pulled me through those difficult times. While I fortunately don’t have any debilitating issues, I am nonetheless aging, and things are slowing down for me by choice. When I began collecting all those years ago, I always had in the back of my mind that this would be a lovely hobby when things in life began to slow down, and boy! It certainly has been. It allows me to remain creatively and intellectually active, social and happy no matter how much time I choose to spend at home these days.:)

4. I think the pandemic has had a major role in my collecting. I've been bored and anxious and life has been so limited. I needed a new hobby, something I could do alone at home.

5. Yes. I got interested in dolls again during a rough time in my life a few years back. But it's taken me this long to actually place an order for a bjd. I still struggle with mental health issues, and going places and having a social life is basically impossible due to the age and activity level of my children. So here we are :)

6. I've been interested in owning a BJD for years now, but have always pushed the thought aside until the pandemic happened. So I started the hobby alongside my other hobbies.

7. Oh, that's an interesting thing to think about... I think it totally makes sense that this hobby would appeal more to people who are housebound or homebodies. I've always been someone who feels more comfortable at home due to anxiety and some health/pain issues, so finding a hobby that I can do at home just made more sense.

8. Yeah, pretty much what happened to me!

9. I've had a interest in BJD since I was in high school, but sadly I couldn't afford them for the life of me so I went for to collect Monster high dolls instead. I managed to finally get my BJDs in 2019 when I started working fulltime. I bought 3 dolls in a span of 1 month:lol:

10. I’ve been wanting a BJD for a few years now. I didn’t get into the hobby because of how homebound I’ve become, but I have notice how much being in the hobby helps.

I have more of a desire to brave the outside world cause my town is an amazing place to take pics. If I’m feeling no touchy, I still can hold my doll without feeling overwhelmed. Since I sadly can’t always keep my husband by me 24/7 for cuddles, I can grab my doll and feel okayish.

Then there is the social aspects I find here on DoA and the creative avenues this hobby opens up.

I’m pretty happy to find a hobby like this :kitty1