1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever find dolls creepy before you got into BJDs?

Aug 30, 2021

1. I've never found dolls creepy, I actually find that trope in movies boring and not that creative. I've loved dolls my whole life, even when I was a teenager who thought she was "too cool" (narrator: actually she was not cool, possibly the farthest thing from cool) I still would look at my American Girl dolls with such fondess. Even back then it bugged me when people would be mean to dolls!

2. Ugh, any doll that was made before 1960 is scary to me. I wouldn't sleep in a room in my grandmother's house because of a doll she had sitting on a rocking chair near the bed. I literally could not go into the room. Even now it gives me chills!

I always was into teddy bears as a young girl. Then I got a Barbie and everything changed. My mom used to sew her clothes and I loved playing with my Barbies. I even had a Chrissy doll whose hair would come out of her head in different lengths. So weird!! Then I stopped playing with dolls altogether. Last year I got into Barbies with my nieces. Then I discovered Fashion Royalty dolls. I went a bit crazy. Now I've discovered BJDs and am so excited!

#62 CPow, Oct 16, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
    3. Dolls have never been creepy to me. I suppose the scariness really just depends on the proportions of the face and its expression. But it's funny, I was never really interested in them, even as a kid. Strangely I was more into legos and bionicle, lol. Then seemingly out of nowhere as an adult, I discovered BJDs and it was like... YES!

4. Not scared at all. I just didn't care for non-BJD dolls.

The quality didn't match my demands;). They weren't properly articulated, looked too unrealistic, almost all were girls and the few boys available didn't appeal to me in the slightest. They didn't have diverse features or real hair and so on...BJDs are also stylized but in a much more realistic and sophisticated way. They were love at first sight. Another great thing was the anthros. When I was a kid I draw animals as anthros, animal bodies were too difficult for me, and I had several animal OCs who behaved like humans. So all these amazing anthros were another plus...

I mistook the first BJD I have seen for a heavily photoshopped human. He was made up of French resin and quite harsh light was shining from behind him, everything other was dark -- it looked like it was shining through real human skin and flesh. I was bewitched, there is no better world.

I actually like the Uncanny Walley effect, but strangely, I rarely feel it when looking at BJDs. There is no doll I was really scared of. Some very gory dolls make me a bit uncomfortable, but that happened only once or twice.

5. Totally yes.
      I did not see the benefits of this hobby (and I had done cosplay at this time XD). At this time I was my own Doll XD

But now I have seen so many good looking (male) Dolls, I am sorry about being late XD
      Because I could have made so many tiny cosplays ^^

#65 Eriawendollyn, Jan 17, 2022
      Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    6. Never found them creepy, but I used to hate ball joints. Thought they were so ugly and couldn’t understand why people would willingly swap out “normal” bodies for Obitsu bodies. Somewhere along the way visible joints stopped bothering me and now I really like them, not just for articulation but for their aesthetics too.

7. Never, but I can kind of understand why some people might find them creepy. That's why I'm not particularly offended when someone tells me that my dolls are "creepy".

8. Honestly a ton of dolls still really scare me; I was into dolls a LOT as a kid but around age 10 I grew an irrational fear of porcelain dolls? I've always been really into Barbies, and then in my teens, anime figures hahaha.
      Now that I'm into BJD, I find myself into more mature OR super stylized dolls; the child-realism really freaks me out still. And I also definitely find myself drawn to MSD or smaller.... but that might just be my like of storage space talking.

9. When I first saw BJDs none of them looked creepy. They were all beautiful or cute. It wasn't until I was in the hobby for several years before I started seeing dolls which seemed very creepy to me. Mostly it's the extremely realistic vampires which creep me out.

10. It really depends, I still finds dolls with not so good eye placement (those staring right at you and seems to be dead inside) creepy, but with a little adjustment I will find even the same sculpt very pretty.

11. I've had porcelain dolls and clown dolls since I was a baby so I've never been afraid of them and have always loved them. I even like dolls made to look scary lol growing up I spent as much time in my great grandma's doll room as I could it was my happiest place.

12. I find many of the more dramatic anthros to be creepy. They remind me of the horror novel by H.G. Wells, The Island Of Doctor Moreau. The "mad scientist" Dr. Moreau experiments and creates half human/half animal creatures. The creatures suffer great physical and psychological pain. Eventually they turn on their creator.

13. I think it depends on sculpts and people? I don't think any BJDs are creepy. (Except the ones that are intentionally made creepy, of course) I think some vintage dolls are a little scary :nowords: I have Xun but I've never thought that she is creepy. In the other hand, my boyfriend scares of her LOL

14. I generally don't find dolls creepy, especially not BJD's. The only ones that give me the heebie-jeebies are those hyper realistic baby dolls and the stereotypical porcelain dolls. Not sure why, they just give me bad vibes

15. Generally, no. I do not enjoy seeing some specific dolls like Reborn or Blythe, but I don't find them creepy necessarily. At least not in the sense that I'd fear to sleep with one in my bed. I guess that has nothing to do with them being dolls, it's just the uncanny valley of seeing something that resembles a human being but in the wrong way, the very same feeling we can get from human-mimicking robots with poorly simulated facial expressions. Reborns tend to appear to me more or less as stuffed taxidermy babies, especially with eyes open. :XD:

16. I like dolls because they can be creepy, I also find them very comforting to have around me. Sometimes they can be creepy and comforting at the same time. :3nodding:

17. Never! I've loved dolls as long as I can remember, even types that some BJD collectors get creeped out by. I'm primarily an antique doll collector, in fact- mid-late Victorian lady dolls (as opposed to dolls that look like children) are my favorite.

18. I never found them creepy and I am still honestly shocked they scare some people. Don't get me wrong, I understand and accept this reaction, I am just perplexed when I face one of the most common reasons: they look just... too real. :-) For me, that's the point.

19. My mother's fear of dolls made me fearful of dolls too, especially with stories of haunted dolls all over the net. But when I first chanced upon really well-dressed and aesthetically pleasing dolls on Facebook and Instagram, it made me see them as models instead, and as someone who's into fashion, it made me curious to learn more about them.

20. I was scared of baby dolls and Raggedy Ann as a kid! I remember hating the baby dolls that people had given me... I used to put them in the closet and shut the door, but it wasn't enough; I still just *knew* they were there. :shudder Eventually I told Mom to get rid of them!

I think for me it was the stare. That blank, thousand-yard baby doll stare. :aeyepop: I'm an empathetic person, so I project "feelings" onto a lot of things. Especially as a kid, I would get scared that certain toys were mad at me if they had a particular expression!

I still don't particularly like baby-looking dolls, even BJDs. But that's because I don't like babies. :lol: I much prefer adult proportions, but I think I could fall in love with a toddler/small child sculpt if it was more anime, *or* if it leaned into the horror/creepy aspect. For example... I don't remember where, but recently, I saw a head sculpt with this hideous, grimacing smile that was SO creepy, and I kind of want to go back and find it so I can put it on my wishlist, LOL.