1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever find dolls creepy before you got into BJDs?

Aug 30, 2021

1. Porcelain dolls were never my favorite and gave me the creeps. When I was a kid, I had one attached to a music box stand, and her arms would wave around to the music when I wound it up. The problem was that it was pretty old, so after winding it up it'd go off randomly, usually in the middle of the night, and that's how people die in horror movies so I buried her in the back of my closet.
      She's probably haunting someone else now as we speak.

2. I have always loved dolls, when I was a child they were a source of comfort and an escape. My overactive imagination was also something that I could let out whenever I played with my dolls when I was little.
      I started collecting dolls when I was a child, I went from simple baby dolls, to barbies, and then to porcelain dolls. Then I grew up and I got into other hobbies, until I recently got into Pullip’s first and now into bjd’s.
      However, my mom does think they are “freaky” lol she can stand them but not for long periods of time…I always joke and say that I’m going to leave one in my parents’ bedroom at night :lol:.

3. I did think some dolls were creepy up until like...5ish years ago I think! But the ones I found creepy (and still do to be perfectly honest :XD:) were the ones my grandma has always loved collecting, the porcelain ones with creepy glass eyes that just STARE at you in your sleep. I used to say I would never sleep in the same room as one haha. BJD's though not really. Unless as some people said already, they're meant to be creepy, in which case I'm like..."well done!". They feel more delicate, and more of an art form (without taking anything away from other kinds of dolls, that can also be amazing), and they're more in line with my specific taste.

4. I think I’ve never found dolls creepy unless they were intentionally made that way. Though some of them are somewhat unnerving, haha. I’ve never been much affected by the whole uncanny valley appearance, but I do think dolls that are broken/dirty give off a different vibe than one that’s well taken care of, and the former is more likely to freak me out :sweat

5. I never liked baby dolls, they always scared me so much. A little off topic, but I was also scared of some gorilla plush i used to own. I think what it was is that they were both really hyper realistic and my child brain hated it. I feel like because most popular doll sculpts don't tend to have extreme facial expressions or deeply carved in expression lines, i don't get the creepy factor i got from baby dolls. Those fluttering eyes also didn't help.

6. Ahhh, there are 19th century dolls that give me the creeps, and ventriloquits' dolls, too... Of more recent dolls I find reborns unsettling... (not crepy, but really unsettling...)

But I always liked modern dolls, like Barbie, Sindy... and now BJD and Blythe and others... <3

7. baby dolls sometimes freak me out, like, can't look at them without feeling sick-ish freaked out, and that's as a doll collector with fairly broad tastes and a love of a lot of things other people find scary. BUT, while getting into the doll hobby hasn't made those particular dolls any less creepy to me, it HAS given me more understanding to the people who collect them, because broadly speaking it's all the same hobby, and we've all got things we find cute and things we find creepy. I think some childlike dolls are adorable but get hives over baby dolls, while there are other people who think baby dolls are sweet but wouldn't be able to sleep in a room with a minifee. And my ex just thinks all dolls are terrifying.

Like, in the non-doll areas of life, horror media is my comfort zone, I'll drift off to a cozy, happy sleep in front of an old horror movie, I read Stephen King to de-stress... not my mom's idea of a happy, relaxed time. But I've got friends who think spiders are adorable and I'm a serious arachnophobe. So creepy and cute are highly subjective, and not mutually exclusive.

8. i probably didn't find dolls creepy but before bjds i wasn't really into dolls. But now I think about it i do find dolls with the staring kinda looking eyes make me feel uneasy. And ventrilorits dolls since the one in the Goosebumps book/tv series.
      The realism of reborn dolls throws me when i see them as I work with babies and they are so lifelike.
      I am not in realist looking dolls as it just seems to make my brain confused and uneasy. I also have a vivid imagination that doesn't help when looking at them.

9. Yes I still find some dolls to fall into the "uncanny valley" of creepiness. I can't say what it is that gets me, but I'm sure I'll figure out the commonality eventually

10. Heh, before I found this thread I posted in my intro how I used to find BJDs creepy. I mean jeez, stumbling across a case of nude, highly realistic, hollow eyed figures tucked into the back corner of a used anime merch store? Nothing at all haha.

These days I find I don't like when people are fitting eyes and they're rolling around, or off center lol. Nope, skip!:sweat

I do think it's interesting when people don't like dolls at all, it shows just how sensitive we all are to the precieved human form.

11. Yes and no. I never really found anything like Barbies or Monster High Creepy, or BJDs either. But I did (and still do, really) find reborn dolls, blythes, and some old porcelain to be creepy, probably because of the uncanny valley effect.

12. Not really . I used to have since I was kid a lot of dolls . I was in love with them . And still I am . But I have to say that I was scared of clown dolls . And generally clown .

13. Not really; I've had dolls in one form or another my whole life. The only ones to skeeve me out at all are those Re-borns.

Oh, and CPR Annie; I swear every time I've ever qualified on it; she tries to slip me some tongue...

14. I didn't find dolls creepy by themselves but my grandmother had this room in her house where every inch of the available space was home to a different doll (even the walls O.o) and that room was pretty unsettling to me. They weren't a particular brand or anything, but she couldn't say help it when somebody said they were going to throw a doll away.

15. I find the Reborn Babies somewhat creepy. Too realistic. I don't deny the artistic talent that goes into sculpting them, but the idea of them is what bothers me a little.

I know this is extreme, but to me its like the difference between a stuffed toy animal and a taxidermied real animal. If something looks like a live person (or animal), it should BE alive.
      A few years ago I attended the funeral of an 18 month old girl. It was an open casket, and the baby looked like one of the Reborn Baby dolls. That memory still haunts me.

#115 ParlourGoddess, Jun 28, 2022
      Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    16. I think I have gone back and forth with the creepy verses not. Now I just lean into the creepy when I show people my office. My dolls are not creepy to me but I can see where they can be to others.

17. I've always found ventriloquist dolls to be terrifying- which I can trace back to an episode of Goosebumps I watched as a very small kid that I was never able to shake, lol. And like some others have mentioned above, I too find the reborn dolls to be quite unsettling. But I haven't seen any BJD's that have left me feeling creeped out.

18. I never thought about those being dolls. They creep me out as well. And my friends think my dolls are creepy.

19. I don't find dolls creepy. The only thing I don't understand is the gore on bjd but I don't find it scary. My b/f finds bjd scary. My bestie (best friend) also. No idea why but I'm into dolls as a child.

Edit: ventriloquist dolls,,I searched it up. It reminds me on Saw movies. The plastic ones. I believe it was Saw. Not sure. Brr.

20. I agree about the gore on BJDs. I don't understand the appeal. It's one thing to see gone in a horror movie, as it is over in a flash, but to have a doll that you look at all the time, with gore on it, is beyond my comprehension.