1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you play with dolls as a child?

Mar 3, 2012

1. I had a handful of Barbies, and one baby doll that I would play 'house' with, and an American Girl Kirsten (who mostly fascinated me because of all the awesome accessories and furniture they had in the catalogs! They were so expensive...) but mostly I played with My Little Ponies. The original ones, back in the 80s. Most of the Barbies' things got co-opted into use by ponies (like the kitchen and stuff).

2. I had baby dolls when I was very young...Cabbage Patch Kids, and similar dolls. But I got into Barbie dolls pretty early. I distinctly remember the Christmas that I got the Barbie Dream House, lol. I was also a huge She-Ra fan...not sure if those count as dolls, but that same Christmas I also got Cloud Castle and Swift Wind XD I collected Barbies all the way through high school and college, but took a break when I graduated. I've gotten back into it though, and then I got into other dolls, and that's what led me to BJDs. I'm just a doll person, I suppose. I'm definitely not a collector that will get rid of all my other dolls, I love them ALL!

3. So. Did you play with dolls as a child? Why or why not?
      If yes, did your childhood love of dolls get you into BJDs or was it something else?

I did "play" with dolls as a child! I am not a girly-female, I hate wearing dresses, was practically forced in them
      if I ever wore them when I was a child. I have always been a bit on the masculine side, never even wore make up
      (probably helps that I was born to vegan parents and remain vegan until this day), but I have always love dolls and
      toys, even cute ones (as long as I'm not wearing "cute" myself, I'm fine with it!). XP

Put simply, I love dolls of all kinds regardless of what type they are – it's compulsive with certain types too.
      I can't see my life without them to be perfectly honest. I'm thirty-years-old (soon to be 31 T__T;;.)but I still
      purchase dolls of various types, BJDs are just a natural part of my obsession – not necessarily because I played with
      dolls as a child but just because I never stopped loving them.

- Enzyme

4. I played with barbies, horses, and dinosaurs when I was little. Dolls didn't appeal to me like they do today, and I'm somewhat particular about the way a doll should look (for me to purchase it). And I wasn't really into baby dolls either. *shrug* :O

5. I played with barbies a lot as a child. Even went so far as wanting to get a kitten and naming it barbie... A proud moment for me /shot. When I was 10, I think, I bugged my parents for an American Girl doll. That thing was my treasure for a long time till we had to sell it for money when my parents got divorced and my mom and I were going through a tough time. I loved making clothes and pillows and even made a bed for her~ Oh and I remembered that I used to have Porcelain dolls as well. My favorite one had the same name as me >w< She was always on the self next to my bed~ But... yet again... Had to sell her.

My childhood love of dolls did not get me into BJDs... at least I don't believe it did. I just found a love for them when i first spotted them. >w<

6. So. Did you play with dolls as a child?
      Yes, I did. I had baby dolls, and a box full of Barbies and clothes for Barbie. I also had a car for her, and a house. Then there are the dolls my grandmother made me since I couldn't afford American Girl Dolls. She modeled them after my favorites and even made wardrobes for them.

Why or why not?
      I didn't have many friends, and I liked to use my imagination. I always made up stories and whatnot with my barbies, and even with my baby dolls, etc. The few friends I had and I would do Barbie "role plays" and whatnot. It was more the creative aspect than anything else.

If yes, did your childhood love of dolls get you into BJDs or was it something else?
      I think that my childhood (and beyond, as I "graduated" to porcelain once I left Barbies behind) probably made me more accepting of collecting BJDs? I dunno. I just know that when I saw a BJD, I immediately wanted one. I don't know if I can attribute it to my childhood doll habit.

7. I suuurrre did! I grew up with Barbie, I loved Barbie. I had a couple doll houses, a few cars, and clothes up the wazoo. I never got into porcelain dolls, and I got into American Girl dolls for a little while. But,as I got older and neared middle school, the kids made fun of me for still having dolls, so I got rid of them. I do still have my AG Josefina and one Barbie remaining from my childhold. After I graduated high school and got a job, I got back into them.

Dolls have always brought me joy, they were like little people, but untouched from a world of despair and social sodomy unlike most people. They also feed my creative, artistic side.

My love for dolls have led me to various companies, but I discovered BJD's through deviant art. By this time, I was into Tonner dolls, and that ultimately made me interested knowing that BJD's were even more articulated and customizable than the Tyler Wentworths.

8. Yes hehe I grew up playing dolls with my sisters! We started off with Barbies, and then my little sister and I moved on to Bratz dolls which took up a good portion of my childhood. I still somewhat liked them when I discovered Pullip a little over two years ago, which eventually led me on to BJD. I never grew out of dolls, I just moved on to bigger, better ones. X3

9. Learned to sew because of Barbie - I had an aunt who sold all sorts of craft stuff, including hand-made Barbie clothes - & I got inspired.
      I had baby dolls (still have my Madame Alexander Baby Kathy, as well as my mom's baby doll) as well.
      As for playing w/them, I used my brother's GI Joe as Barbie's boyfriend ('cause Ken's a wimp). I loved that commercial where GI Joe sweeps Barbie away in his red convertible LOL.
      I stopped playing w/dolls as I got older. I never stopped sewing for dolls - I had 2 daughters :D I started collecting BJDs when I realized just HOW customizable they were, & how perfect for creating costumes & then photos.

10. I was never a big fan of baby dolls (and still aren't), but I loved barbies. I've always liked making up stories and dressing up dolls. I remember I disliked male dolls because their clothing was ugly. I don't have that problem with BJDs. Haha.
      But I went through a long dolly break while I was a teenager and just picked up the interest again. Again it's the story and character part that drives me.

11. No, I hated dolls with a passion when I was younger. I wanted my Power Rangers and Hot Wheels. I began to like dolls when I was in college when I discovered Pullips and Taeyangs. I bought a couple, and when I was looking at pictures of them I ran across BJDs. They creeped me out at first, but eventually I fell in love. They just have that charm to them, and now I'm hooked ;)

12. I didn't have but a few dolls in my childhood. I mostly had stuffed animals as wasn't allowed pets growing up except for birds & fish. I was an adult and had kids of my own before I went into dolls. I collected baby dolls off & on from 27 to about 50. Then found BJD and haven't looked back since.

13. I definitely played with dolls as a child. I loved them. But I was really destructive and would cut their hair, expecting it to grow back. Or paint their face and accidentally pop their heads off. (Then stick the head to my sisters ceiling with that blue poster tacky stuff. Oops) But as I started getting older, I collected them and wasn't as mean to my dolls as I was when I was little. I definitely think my childhood love for dolls got me into BJD's! I love them!

14. Yes l played with dolls when l was a child.

15. No not really, not unless you count dinosaurs, dragons, unicorns and stuffed animals as dolls. I HAD dolls, a few actually, but I never really played with them very often. I usually only wanted them for the things they came with and played with those more than the doll itself. :lol:

16. I had a good selection of dolls growing up. I even got a doll-sized G.I. Joe because he looked like a Barbie... only he was two or three inches taller than all of my Barbies and didn't fit in. I had a lot of other kinds of dolls, too. I think I always thought dolls were really cool.

17. I always liked dolls though I didn't play with them all the time. I liked to collect them more so all my childhood dolls are in excellent condition. I was the only girl in a family of boys so I always got dolls from everybody. I was mad for multi jointed dolls so when I found ABJD I was hooked immediately! Though it took a few years to get enough courage to buy one.

18. I have played with dolls since I was born, I think. LOL ALL types, from handmade to Barbie to AG to Bratz to anything I could get my hands on. But I didn't play in the typical brush hair/change clothes way, I actually played out plotlines with my sister, more like role play. My never ending search for making dolls look like the characters they should be lead to BJDs. It started with repainting Bratz, Barbies and other dolls, but I still wanted diversity in sculpts, hair, etc....for years, I sewed and painted cloth dolls. Some of my BJDs are upgraded versions of my old dolls. Mike, Kane and Cosmos were cloth dolls, Matt was a Ken Doll, Maddy was a BeGoth.

19. I loved Barbies so much. Seriously, my happiest childhood memories have to do with Barbie. I guess that that doll=happiness link can have made me very susceptible for this hobby, together with the gorgeousness of (and my love for) the dolls themselves.

20. I used to be big on playing with Barbies and Bratz dolls,but after a while I came to despise them and chucked them all and didn't bother looking at dolls after that. XD When I saw BJDs however it was like love at first sight. ^^