1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you play with dolls as a child?

Mar 3, 2012

1. I did have dolls as a kid. I had several American Girl dolls, I still collect teddy bears. I guess BJD's are the next level for me as a grown up that likes to collect things. I love dolls for the most part I mean there are a few that scare me but then its a clown thing ( scary scary) that usually freaks me out.

2. I played with barbies when I was younger, and my mother tried to get me to play with baby dolls but that didn't really work out very well. As I got older, I kept collectable barbies that were given as gifts and blew up the ones I had. The ones that I favored and didn't blow up I passed on to my little sister. I did play with American Girl dolls, and I even got one that had custom eye and hair color, but they weren't as customizable as I wanted. That's when I found BJDs.

3. Yes, i played whit dolls as kid. i played whit barbie, baby dolls, and alot whit Paper dolls.
      I had a period where I collected porcelain dolls.
      But after I thought I was finished with dolls for good, it took me about ten years before I started with the BJD hobby =)

4. I went through a Barbie phase when I was about six I think, but I never collected them. I had one with one outfit that I played with with my sister. After that I thought dolls were creepy (and ugly), until the summer before eighth grade when I saw some random picture of DoD's Black Ducan via a Google search of boredom and was like "Oh my gosh WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT?!" Cause it was literally one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen and I was convinced it had to be the work of some talented digital artist, but that led to me finding the blog where the image was posted and reading through that post, and then typing in the address on the company photo. Hands down probably one of the most amazing moments of my life xD I'm so lame

5. Note: The board's been around for seven years; you can bet that if there's a question to be asked, someone has asked it before. This particular question comes up regularly :).

But heck, yeah, I played with dolls. My first were teddy bears ("Tuffy" started out white and ended up kind of ashen and threadbare after living through me-as-a-toddler). My grandmother, who was the one who taught me to sew, made me a Raggedy Ann and Andy couple which I do still have some 50 years later - although they are a sorry sight, all drooled-on and dirty and thin in places, I love 'em.

My first Barbie was a Fashion Queen with the multiple wigs, the year they came out (http://www.fashion-doll-guide.com/Vintage-Barbie-Fashion-Queen-Dolls.html) ... and between that one and the Chatty Cathy, I could kick myself for not being a doll *collector* back then. Hey, I was a kid, who knew. I had a number of Barbies, which my Mom actually played with more than I did ;). Also had a Ken, which I really couldn't understand - he looked like a girl doll without boobs, to me.

What I *wanted* to play with did not exist at the time - dinosaurs, the nice molded kind that are available now. The closest thing I ever had was a Fred and Dino Flinstone pullstring doll (same mechanism as the Chatty Cathy, I think). That was ultra cool except that I wanted Fred GONE and he was not removable ;). I think that's kind of why I migrated to Trolls. I had a HUGE troll collection and a Troll House at one point. I loved the fact that they had actual hair and "real" eyes.

Basically I wanted something that was poseable, had real hair, and was not stuck in one look all the time (are we detecting a theme here?)...

So instead I ended up spending huge amounts of time with my brother and 3 older male cousins, building things with the Tonka trucks - not the cheap plastic ones, but back when they were of sturdy metal and really worked. My brother's "rock picker-upper-dump" (a backhoe) saw a LOT of use. :) Oh yeah and we had a metric pantload of Hot Wheels and the like, which were tons of fun. Dolls kind of went away for a long time.

I seriously think that my collection of BJDs are in part my unsatisfied inner kid yelling "YES!" at the top of her lungs :)

6. I had a couple of barbies, but they weren't particularly loved. They tended to end up being eaten by my stuffed animals or plastic dinosaurs. I guess you could call that playing with them, but...yeah...

Actually, most dolls freaked me out until I was well into the adult age range. Even the few that I had as a child remained locked up at night so they wouldn't kill me in my sleep.

7. I was just like Quetz when I was younger! I absolutely hated dolls as a child no matter how hard my family tried to force them on me. I was a total tomboy back then too EXCEPT I did play with beanie babies (hundreds!). The only reason I like them now [especially the girls] is because they are so beautifully crafted compared to Barbies and other common dolls. I can't believe now that I'm in my second year of college I will officially have my own "FIRST" doll. o_O

8. I did play with dolls when i was younger Bratz, barbie, ect. And i loved them alot, then i discover this hobby and at first i was like: "This is so expensive!" :oand "But he/she is so pretty!" :...(
      I got a doll and i loved them so i got another and i am saving up for my first boy doll ever! :)

9. I was also a bit of a tomboy when I was little - try as she might, my mother just couldn't get me to love barbies - but I always had an imagination and that's where BJDs stem from for me. They come from my stories and my characters :D

10. Oh I loved dolls as a kid,had a bunch of barbies and baby dolls. I always created stories around them and even washed their hair and cut it xD Another aspect that I liked was that they could wear so many different styles. I guess that's why I started to buy bjds. I just love the combination of fashion and dolls. That and the fact that I still like making up stories.

11. I did play with dolls when I was a kid. Heck, Barbie's the reason why I'm able to sew. I still remember the first thing I sew'd for her too. A top. That I sew'd onto the doll. But, I also played with Ponies ( I even had a Megan doll!), GI Joe, mattel cars, marbles, other dolls (I even had a real Gem doll and a Maxi doll that I adored..joints ftw)..anything that would hold still long enough for my imagination to take over. I even used to waltz around my room with this huge muslin rabbit I used to have. I'm also going to mention I played with barbies til I was 14 or so.

I think my favorite barbie of all was this one that had a mermaid outfit. And I still covet one of the older Ariel dolls, the ones with the fabric tails and plastic seashell top..not this molded on crap.

I'm not sure if it's my love of dolls that naturally steered me towards BJD or not, but now that I'm an adult, if I wanna play dressup with a 300 dollar doll, then by gosh, I will.

12. I have always loved plying with dolls. I didn't like "babys", but barbies, Polly and that kind of dolls where always my favorit toys. My perents were even woried becouse I have played with them intil I was around 15 year old, and they beliaved that I was already to old for dolls. I started collecting them every since that, and soon or letter I could get some money to by me bjds A_A

13. I did play with dolls as a child. I got my last doll at the young age of nine. I was expected to grow up and had more responsibility than any child should ever have.

I think that's why I am enjoying dolls in my adulthood. I feel like my childhood ended abruptly and I' trying to make up for it! :)

14. Oh yeah. My sisters and I had many Barbies and friends. We would build these elaborate houses out of whatever in the playroom then act out these story lines. I also remember playing with my Little Ponies, Lady Lovely Locks, Moondreamers, and Strawberry Shortcake dolls. I still have a few of these early toys. They managed to survive a couple of moves and clean outs.

BJD just seemed like a natural thing for me to get involved in. The character building, the clothing, even the photography. I just love the hands on approach.

15. I never did play with dolls as a child - well, dolls as in human dolls. I did love My Little Ponies :)

I don't see BJD as "playing with dolls" in the conventional sense. I see it as more a work in progress; more on the artistic side for me. To me, I love getting a blank doll and building upon a character from there.

16. I had tons of dolls as a kid and I loved them! Barbies mostly, but I had babydolls and porcelain dolls too. I miss the old Polly Pocket most, though. They would be the perfect little dolls and houses for my dolls.

17. No, not really. I would pretty much torture all my Barbies by cutting their hair and painting them into different colors. I even remember using one of them as a paint brush by dipping her hair into paint and trying to paint with it. It was a big surprise for my mom when I first revealed her I actually wanted a buy a doll and an expensive one too. I guess she was concerned that I might treat them the way I treated my other dolls when I was a kid. Lol... Now I'm an adult, I'm in love with dolls and have a big collection of several different types. :)

18. I did play with Barbies as a child, but I was never very careful with them...I loved playing with them outside in the creek, where they would float away and be drowning victims, poor things! I did always wish that they were bigger and looked different from one another...So glad I found BJD's!

19. I absolutely loved playing with dolls as a child. My favorites were my Sailor Moon dolls. Unfortunately, younger siblings came along and destroyed them. :...(

20. I loved dolls when I was younger. Barbies, baby dolls, water babies, you name it. But I also loved playing with my stuffed animals and I would mix them in with each other. I still have most of everything, too. I guess I just don't want to get rid of anything that had so much value to me when I was younger. :3