1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between glass and acrylic eyes?

Jul 8, 2007

1. I don't know if this belongs in the right forum, but I'm planning to buy a pair of 16mm eyes for my DOC. I've noticed that the acrylic eyes are a lot cheaper than the glass eyes, however, both types look very similar to each other. So what exactly is the difference between the two? Is it pretty much based on the quality of the eyes?

2. Glass eyes catch the light better and look far more realistic.

3. This is a hard question to answer, since this varies with each company. Generally, acrylic eyes look more gel and dewy (fuzzy?), while glass/urethane eyes have startling clariity. But that's not always true. Acrylic eyes usually don't have as much depth as glass eyes, but that's not always true either. But the pattern and details on acrylic eyes are not availible in glass eyes, due to how they are made.

Glass eyes may have threading, but threading doesn't always look as realistic as the printed backs of some acrylic eyes. Yet not always! And... and so on. You'll just have to compare eyes, since every company makes them pretty different.

It's a personal opinion, really. Here are some photos of a glass eye (Volks Goldenrod) and an acrylic eye (Kon'd).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the catching light thing... Those goldenrods were really bad at catching light, and it was really frustrating to photograph them so that they would not look like dark orbs. But these pair of cheap acrylics...

[​IMG]

... glowed. Not literally, but they caught light so easily that it was kind of freaky. So it all depends!

The cheaper price is due to how acrylics are all plastic and glass is, well... glass.

4. Here is an older 2-page thread about glass versus acrylic:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44088

And here is glass versus silicone:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75801

Silicone eyes can be very nice. Eyeco and Masterpiece soft glass are probably the least expensive silicone eyes.

Here is a BJD eye database - index is on the right:
      http://www.silent-r.com/eyes/

Also you can look in the BJD database and BJDopedia threads and search for eyes to help find threads where people show their dolls and list what eyes they are wearing.

This is Eyeco soft glass (silicone) in Lousiana Iris:
      [​IMG]

Carolyn

5. My personal opinion in the matter of eyes is, that whenever there is a glass eye available in the color I want, I prefer to buy those instead of acrylic ones no matter how cheap the latter may be, as the shine and depth is so different in a glass eye.

6. Thanks for the help. ^^ Do you know a website where I might be able to find a large selection of eyes?

7. SafrinDoll has a really nice selection, and they take their own pictures too. That's always a plus. :) Other than that, you'll probably just have to shop aorund among many sites.

8. Note that quality varies in glass eyes too. Some inexpensive glass eyes are not hand-formed or blown - they appears to be decals behind glass. An example would be the inexpensive solid glass ovals at Kemper - they have the nice gloss of glass eyes but I think the iris is a decal inside. They look quite nice but are mostly dark colors and do not have any unusual colors. Howver, if you are looking for dark eyes, they may be a good option.

Some mid-priced glass eyes are handmade but are poorly matched (iris size, pupil shape and size). The more expensive glass eyes are typically well-matched but can have variations in between sets in iris and pupil size.

Carolyn

9. I have purchased Acrylic off Parabox and they are very nice, they have a good range of colours and are cheap enough that you can get a few and play about

10. I mostly use Masterpiece polymer/acrylic and they look very realistic. They only come in 24 "natural colors", the same come in their glass eyes and you can order custom colors. softglasseyes.com

11. I have bought three sets from lovelyplatform on eBay, in glass--they are not cheap and they look hand made, with slight swirls and variations, but I love the weight and feel of them, and I know I won't scratch them like acrylics. I have also found Yvonne Sze to be a nice seller (she adds a personal note and a little bag for the eyes) and that makes me feel like a valued customer. They are not super cheap, though, I think they come to 15.99 a pair with shipping. The acrylics I bought just didn't do much for me or the dolls I have.

12. Thanks for the advice. ^^