1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

different types of BJD owners?! which are you ?

Apr 28, 2021

1. I'm kind of a combination of the first and third. Sometimes I get a doll just because I find it beautiful, or because I want play around with different styles and aesthetics that interest me, but that I don't feel like committing to myself. Other time I buy dolls because I have pre-existing characters that I wish to bring to life in physical form. I don't currently do a lot of crafting for my dolls, but I hope to start doing that sometime in the future, when I have a little more time and energy.

2. My collection is curated to my personal wishes, things and places I enjoy or admire. My Resin Enchanted Dolls, Popovy Sisters, Demiurge Rus and others reflect my desire to own art from a culture, namely Russia that has valued beauty from antiquity. The quality of not only the dolls but also the accessories are among my favorites of all. Others, such as my Kaye Wiggs dolls are from yet another place I really would love to visit (Australia).I enjoy the dolls wistful faces and how much fun they are to dress.

The ones who have been painted and styled to look like certain tv show and movie characters reflect a long time fascination with film and sci fi in particular, maybe because my own little town has a large film and movie presence in the form of Screen Gems studio. (Movies from here include The Conjuring, Blue Velvet, Halloween Kills, The Crow, Max Steel, Iron Man 3, Safe Haven, We Are the Millers, and currently a Scream movie and tons more. TV shows include Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Under the Dome and others).My Own little Hollywood East.

3. I get mine to be able to take a model out with me to do photography of, who won't talk back and will pose well :)

4. I've always loved how dolls look, so for me it's definitely a mix of loving to have something pretty and wanting to bring a character to life! I also love thinking about what character I could make for a doll when I'm window shopping as well, I love giving them their own personality! I also plan on doing photography with my own once I get their faceups done ^^

5. I'm a blend of types.

I like to look at my dolls (I have only one on display presently, due to space limitations), but also photograph them from time to time. And I like to just sit with them as mute companions; that's quite comforting. I do enjoy crafting and plotting crafts centred around them, but I like to buy the pieces I can't adeptly craft myself. And I've had a long-standing rule that my dolls are for my original or favourite characters, to minimise on spending and impulse buys.

6. i buy mine for a mix of reasons!!

even though i myself have the artistic skills of a penguin, i really like having an idea for a visual concept/character and then making it come to life. i get to customize the doll and commission and work with a bunch of artists who make my vision a reality. that's super cool! i feel like a producer of sorts. i guess i'm a doll producer. haha.

7. I want to tell stories but more than that, I want to make my characters real. Ideally, I'll have a tumbler or something which will Chronicle the snippets of these characters' lives when not in the main story. I'll take pictures of Hayden playing his guitar or hanging with Caleb. There will be pictures of Kaito working and when I eventually get the others, I'll have them in their daily lives too.

I want to see how the characters bond whilst being able to interact with them myself as well. I seriously cannot wait. If I ever come into a large sum of money, it will probably all go on dolls XD

8. I have them for character purposes. It's nice to see O.Cs in a physical form and helps with story telling. I also like video games where you can make a custom character - so this hobby caters to that aspect of customizing something to look the way I want it to.

9. I have mine to help advertise my webcomic. c: They're great convo starters at cons and when I have a table, they catch peoples eyes fast!

10. For some of my dolls, its to bring certain characters of mine to life.

For other dolls, its because they're really, really pretty.

In both of these cases, I adore having something to spoil and dress and fuss/fawn over.

11. I'd love to be a crafter someday, but mostly I just find dolls (particularly BJDs) to have an effervescent life-like quality. To me, it's like taking care of a friend. I ascribe a lot of life to dolls, so for me its mostly about companionship and care.

12. I just love Dolls!

13. I like having dolls because I like to create things for them. Sewing and wig making and eye making and faceups and props! There is so much you can make for a doll. I also like having something pretty to look at :D

14. Originally I wanted a BJD just because they're so beautiful, and because I also enjoy sewing for dolls -- though most of my experience was with other, off-topic dolls. Like others have said, it's nice to have a doll to spoil with cute clothes!

Over the time I spent looking for a first doll though, I ended up developing and getting very attached to a set of original characters, so I decided that I want to primarily use dolls to sort of bring these characters to life. From the paper as drawings, to the physical world as dolls! These characters mean a lot to me, so having physical representations of them is the next best thing to them being actually real :XD:

So far I've only shelled one character, but there's a few more I'm still browsing sculpts for (and saving up for)

15. I am absolutely want to make characters more real. And also dolls are really beautiful and it is nice to have them in the house