1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Choosing a Doll?

Jan 29, 2010

1. I think that I'm going to be in the same boat as autumnrain. I keep finding and adding dolls to my list. When it comes time to make a single decision, I'm going to have a heck of a hard time narrowing it down to just one. As it stands right now, I have two on the way...and I find my trigger finger having a difficult time not clicking "buy" with two other dolls!

2. I have the same question. How do you really know if this doll is the one that you really want? It's so hard for me to decide since I'm also really worried about the price. I'm a very undecisive person so when it comes down to it I just go with my gut feeling.

so go with your gut feeling. ahah

3. I'm having the same problem... It's my first doll, so I want to be sure I found *the one* before I buy her... And I'm not even worried about the price, I know I can save up the money for her... The problem is that I want to be sure I won't get tired of the doll after a couple of months...

4. I'm having such hard time choosing my next doll, if I was just buying a doll for me and not for a character it would be dollzone Yuu, but I have a few characters that really need to be dollyfied, Yuu doesn't fit any of these characters however ruo feng from angel of dream fits one, an obitsu modded hybrid fits another I can get both for the price I'm paying for Yuu, so logically I should get them first, but Yuu keeps calling me, I so want him next but he just wont fit in here right as theres no character for him.

5. Reading these responses has indeed helped usher me forward in my doll quest. I still haven't come to a solid conclusion, but I'm a lot closer. Based on the common advice here, I've spent weeks poring over the DoA Galleries looking for as many versions of the dolls I like as I can find. To those of you who share my indecision and problems, I offer the following advice that I've come up with during my search:

+ A doll really can look 100% different based on its face-up. We hear this all the time, but you need to believe it. Try to find dolls in as many face-ups as you can, as well as blank heads, so you really know what you can do with a doll.

+ Look up wigs, eyes, and clothing in the size of the model you're interested in. Oddly enough, if you find the perfect outfit you like, you may just know what doll fits into it! I'm very close to choosing a doll simply because I found shoes, wigs, and eyes that I would love on him. Having the "complete package" in mind has made making a choice that much easier.

6. I just recently purchased my first doll and already, I am scouting for my second although I've been told I am not allowed to purchase that one until December 2010 or January 2011. I may end up just buying it when I go to Japan in April 2011.

I do know how you feel though. I am experiencing the same things even though I can't purchase that one for almost a year! But I would like to know what's out there and available within my target price range.

I've seen about three dolls that I really like but they are all MSD sizes and I am specifically looking for a 58-60cm doll.

I have been told I can't go beyond a certain amount otherwise I can' get it so that makes things harder.

Good luck on your decision and happy scouting!

7. It took a while to decide what doll I wanted. Actually, I've just managed to decide on the doll that I want to be my first, and that was only because of a lot of contemplating. As a college student, I went into this knowing that if I got a doll now, it would be a long while before I got another, if I ever did get another.:...( So, I basically had to look at it like I were choosing the one doll that I would ever own. I finally made the decision on the doll I plan to get after realizing that, after all the browsing I do on the many doll site, looking at the various, beautiful molds they have, he was the one I kept going back to. Plus I've seen so many beautiful photos of him, which make me want him all the more.

Funny thing is....the doll I'm ordering as my first is actually the second doll I've decided on. The first is a girl from the same company who I intend to get later in time, but I've never owed a male doll before and the idea excites me.:)

8. In the beginning, my first doll just called out to me. There was no deciding; he just... Needed to come home. He was the perfect doll at the perfect time.

When it comes to liking a doll for it's looks, I have NO problem finding dolls I like. The price doesn't matter at all. If I want THAT doll, I will have THAT doll.

But, when it comes to finding CHARACTERS, that's a lot harder xD They need to be in proportion, they need to have a certian look, they need to be poseable... xD

9. I'm kind of glad I don't have the $$ to buy any dolls yet, because it's giving me a looot of time to think about which ones I want to try for. I keep adding and subtracting dolls from my wishlist. >3<;; But I think I'm figuring out which ones I keep going back to. And I know I want an MSD and I know I want normalish skin (not tan because I don't want to worry about it turning green!) so that helps a bit too.
      And it also helps narrow it down when most of the dolls you want are impossibly unavailable. OTL
      Really there's only one doll I'm seriously considering, for those reasons.
      That is good advice about looking for clothes and wigs to help decide! I think I'll do that, it will help me choose a gender. :3

10. I'm not patient and I change my mind alot/ I can be very indecisive. Needless to say that makes this an interesting hobby for me! I try to wait a fair bit of time and see if there are moulds that really tempt me away from the one I'm thinking of. How looking at pictures of each one makes me feel, etc. Now that I have an MSD boy and SD13 boys it would be easier to get more of those sizes/genders as easier to cloth. Since it'll take me awhile to save up for my next, I'll just continue looking and see what calls my name the most when the time comes and I have enough funds for the purchases I'm thinking of. Atleast I know if I end up changing my mind I can rehome and try again.

11. For my 1st and 3rd doll, it wasn't that hard for me. They just grabbed me.
      For my 2nd doll, my first boy, I couldn't decide. At the beginning there were 5 dolls that I couldn't decide between. I ended up making a picture collages on paint, one for each sculpt. Each included company photos as well as owner ones with different face-ups. Then I spent a lot of time flipping between each. It narrowed it down to two.
      Then it became hard. It just came down to questions. Height? Body sculpt? Shape of nose, mouth, eyes?
      Really though in the end, I had two windows open, each doll in the shopping carts...:doh But only then I guess I realized which one I wanted to hit the pay button on.

I have many dolls I like, but a few that I plan on getting.

12. I definitely have problems with my indecisive nature! XD It is difficult knowing who comes home next; however, when I start to feel weird hesitations I know that I'm probably not choosing the one who will suit my home best. I also let a little bit of luck and gut instinct help me in my decisions. For example, sometimes (on the odd occasion) a beauty will come up on the marketplace that is on my wishlist and I'll snap them up. ^.^

13. I think if you are iffy about a doll, do not buy it. Do your research - look at owner pics and company pics and think about it. There is no hurry. I personally have decided I do not like to have multiple dolls, so I am downsizing. Def. Look at posing and face angles or whatever concerns you. You never know, if you settle for one you are not sure of, something you love more might be released.

14. I have my dolls planned out for years in advance. I know I'm going to get a DZ Hong next, barring me falling desperately, madly in love with another doll (or finding that limited or discontinued doll on the Marketplace). I try to make a plan for what doll I want next and stick with it, but I'm flexible enough to get something either more in my price range, or something I feel I can't live without...

15. So true! That's how it was with all of my dolls...and you know what makes the search even more difficult? When I still don't have a good idea of what the character physically looks like. I have this one character's personality down, but when it comes to picturing his face I just get a blur in my head. I've looked around the galleries and seen many dolls with looks that kinda fit with his personality, but nothing's really grabbed me like, "THAT'S HIM! I found you at last!"

That's how I roll. One day I will find the right doll!

16. I can take me months to choose just the right mold I want for my characters. Usually I will have a few molds that I am attracted to, and I will spend lots of time looking at the company photos as well as owner photos, and comparing the molds to select just the right one. Then other times I see a mold, and I know right away that it is perfect for my character.

17. There was one doll that "spoke" to me.
      Since I am new to the hobby her cost was a little scary.
      Purchased a different doll that was less and thought it would be fine.

Wasn't

Ended up getting the one doll that I really wanted.
      She really is the perfect doll for me.

MaggieMay

18. Personally, I always seem to make lists of groups of dolls that I want (Since most end up pertaining to some sort of group) and then put my focus towards one group. Usually, if I stick with getting one doll from that group long enough, but then start losing love for them or problems start arising, then I postpone or toss the idea of buying that/those dolls until I'm ready.

I think if you're iffy about a doll then take your time into looking more into it. Seeing more owner pictures, asking questions of what they would look like with a certain wig+eye colour combination, etc. Or pretend to buy it. I sometimes think of buying a doll or actually going onto a company's website to do a mock purchase. And when I start feeling bad or regretful, then I hold off on it until I feel more confident with the purchase ;]

19. I was lucky in this respect, because I had no real intention of getting a second doll when I started getting into the hobby. When I decided to buy one and started looking at all the different sculpts out there, I found out my favourite from a year before was still my favourite.

If in doubt, wait--however unintentionally it was when I did it, waiting really made me more confident in my purchase.

20. I've found now that I have three I am having issues finding that perfect next doll. My frist one was spur of the moment, saw him at a con, had the money, and had to have him. My second was spur of the moment, sort of, I KINDA knew I wanted her, but when I saw her in the marketplace for cheap i said SURE WHY NOT! And my third, well I saw him in the market place and I had to have him, I guess I kinda already knew I had wanted the sculpt it just wasn't on the top of my list. Now I am having issues finding the next doll, I had ideas and I had a whole folder of bookmarks of various dolls I have interest in, but I don't know which one I want.