1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Choosing a Doll?

Jan 29, 2010

1. I think my dolls have found me. I fall in love with faces. I haven't fretted over choosing one or another, they've just said "you need to bring me home" and if I can save the money, then I do it. Granted, this method isn't an exact science; some have arrived and were completely lovely, but due to some quirk have found other homes. That said, my present brood is about as perfect as I could have dreamed. And they all chose me instantly. :)

2. Definitely torn on what my next doll will be. It is so hard to decide when you don't have access to see them in person and/or side-by-side. Maybe it helps me save money while I sweat it out.

3. This is me looking through DZ minis!
      I can afford them, and I like a lot of their sculpts so I'm always having the choicephobia thing.

Before purchasing my first, I couldn't choose between two. I posted about it in a journal and my friends said to go with the 2nd one I listed. So I went, I like both! So that shouldn't be a problem to pick that one. Tthen realized later, by looking at more owner pics aside from the company promos that the first one I listed was the one I actually like better. (Also the blank heads with no eyes helped me a lot).

Originally I wanted some 1/3 BJD but there wasn't antying that just caught my attention (mind you these are the cheaper 1/3 ones) and there was no way I'd be allowed to spend something over $400 I wanted either. I looked through MSDs and found features that I liked, that I was looking for in a 1/3 which helped me pick as well! ^^ It might be smaller than what I expect but at least I'll love how it looks/etc.

Aside from face sculpts, I look at the body. I'm picky on the joints and poseability as well so I can reallllly like the head but the body not so much (like the Crobidoll Yeon-Ho ;A; ). It really tears me apart. So I'm hoping that the heads I like I'll come across in the future somewhere (if they're not sold seperately).

4. I am actually having to deal with this at the moment. I'm thinking of buying my second doll sometime this year but there are just so many to choose from that it all gets a bit too confusing. When I think I've found the doll, I will stumble on another doll and then it all just falls down. So ... what I've been trying to do is go on gut instinct. And then once I've picked it, I stop looking. I do look for owner pictures to get a general idea of what a doll looks like outside of company photos as they aren't always very accurate.

Often, I think my perfect doll would be a hybrid but the resin matching research has proven quite a headache and a lot more trouble than it's worth. So I've thrown that idea out the window. Bascially, I plan to be happy with whatever doll I decide on in the end and then afterwards, I won't look anymore because it's pointless and I don't particularly need to once I've purchased all the dolls I care to purchase.

5. Oh, definitely. In my case though it's because I can't find the perfect sculpts to fit my characters. I've already settled two, but I've got like two pairs of twins more to find, and what's harder is that they're boy-girl twins so I'd have to find sculpts that's versatile for both genders AND suits each of their personalities at the same time. Geh. :|

Also I've recently realized that part of my reluctance to get another doll is their body. I have to like their body, for the girls the curves and boobs, for the guys their pecs, or sexy lean-ness, whichever suits.

6. Oh lordy, I never have trouble deciding which doll to buy next. The only problem is having the money. LOL! I do tend to check out the Marketplace, Ebay & various groups though first to see if there are any bargains on my wishlist. And sometimes I just see someone I didn't really know about & fall in love. If the funds are available, he/she gets to come home right then.

7. Yeah,I find it that it's kinda difficult when it comes to choose your very first doll..but it's not that difficult if you compare with the hardness of collecting money for your next doll purchase(This happens to me right now..:()

8. For me, The First One was kinda impulse/love at first sight. Now I have a wishlist (don't ask how many "must need" are there xD) and I'm choosing from it. It's a bit complicated, because the doll I want to buy next have to work with the others. And of course, there must be some feelings for her. :)

In short...yes, it's difficult for me to choose next doll and I have to think twice before I decide, 'cause my budget is super tight and I am lucky if I get to buy one doll a year.

9. Definitely the first doll I wanted was really pretty but I soon left my love for him. :( Now I want this one doll that I've been determined to get but there's a bunch of limited editions on Dollmore that I can buy and they're really pretty but I've always been switching back to the other doll I want. :)

10. I've had a few dolls, some MSD s, some SDs.....I usually end up not liking something about them and so I sell them for something else.....the only 2 dolls I have atm are DZ Chen and DZ Linlan and I love these 2 dolls to bits.....I don't think I'll buy any more for a while , I need a break from buying dolls....think I just need to carry on spoiling the 2 I have atm.......and I'm quite enjoying myself too!

11. I had decided that my first doll was going to be a DoT E-An, and that I was going to order her on x-mas 2009. I had been saving up for her for 3 months and just as I had enough money, Soom released Afi and Ai. When I saw Ai, I literally freaked out. She had to come home, no matter what. How I reacted to Ai made me realize that I only thought E-an was nice to look at, and that ultimately she wasn't for me.

Now I'm trying to find a doll for the character E-An was supposed to be, and I'm really struggling! I must have went through 6 different dolls so far trying to find one for her, but in the end none of them clicked. Though by now I've just accepted that frantically searching for a doll isn't helping at all, so I'm taking a more relaxed approach to doll hunting. I'll just be aimlessly saving up so that way when I'll see her, I'll already have some money aside for her ;)

12. I had a horrid time picking my first doll, though that was mostly because I was confused and new to all this.

13. I'm so lucky I've never fallen for a limited so I have time to decide. It took me years and years to find the doll that made me push the buy button but once I found my Zaoll I knew she was the one and I've not been disappointed.
      Personally I find the doll comes first, and the character comes after so I don't have to worry about the doll fitting that way but I'm still super fussy. The body has to look as realistic as possible and be really posable and the face has to be versatile and interesting.

14. I think..almost 50% bjd owners have had, and still have difficulty for choosing a doll..especially the first!

I have went to almost all BJD Companies websites..as list in the BJD Company Links...and I like all the dolls..
      I simply can't choose..from tiny or MSD..then from boy or girl..then from FL or LUTS or Volks or others..

15. No I don't have difficulty doing that because I know my doll plans. I decide what to do with a certain doll then add it to the list. It could be (and will be) over a year until I have all of them but I'll get them eventually. So it isn't difficult to choose, because I don't have to, except for which order they go in.

16. Same here, totally :?
      I'm planning my second now, actually I already have the money, but I can't decide. The "chosen one" is Iplehouse's Freezia, though... I can't decide between the gentle version and the normal version :sigh I've been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now, yet... no result:horror:
      Its a damn hard thing >,<

17. Oh man... I am having such a hard time choosing a doll for my Renny's baby. I wanted a Felix Brownie Fairy baby, but alas, with recent company troubles, I'm having to decide on a different one. Right now I'm flailing about trying to find the perfect baby to save up for and the result is a lot of flailing! Thankfully I don't have the money for any dolls right now, and thus I don't have to worry about making the final selection just yet... but the time will come!

I wish everyone luck on their searches, and hope I have some myself ;_;

18. I desparately want to buy another BJD now, I have two SD's and a custom MSD.
      I want a msd girl, but adult looking, unusual but beautiful. Help...............

19. In all honesty, I think I can feel your pain xD I'm in the middest of choosing my very first doll. And it's not easy, because I don't have any real requirements for her. D; It's not easy, but things will get easier when you decide 'Yeah, I really like this one.' That's...about all I can say xD

20. Ooh! This is the thread I've been looking for. I need some help from you guys. hehe

I've been saving for a Volks Irvin for the longest time now and he's my dream doll. I nearly have enough money to get him but then I found another doll I like almost as much. The tan skin bambicrony emily is limited edition so she won't be there much longer plus she's only a third of the Irvin's price. I know by the end of the summer, I'll be able to afford the Irvin if I don't buy the tan emily. I just can't decide what to do because there are very limited quantities of both dolls and I want the two of them so badly. Could one of you guys help me out? ^^