1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Choosing a Doll?

Jan 29, 2010

1. Not often I have this kind of problem because I have some specific taste.
      I just know when I see them.

2. My second BJD ended up being an easy decision. I saw Espree on DDE and ended up buying her with payment when she's ready to ship. I tend to look at beauty and whether or not it fits with what I have in my head for my stories.

3. I'm having trouble choosing which doll to get next as the three I want are all within the same price range of each other and are all totally different in regards to style and look so I'm thinking I'm gonna have to pull a name out of a hat ^^; anyone got any other suggestions on how to pick?

4. It took me almost a week to decide on the doll I'm ordering. I don't really mind the price cause it's like a set goal for me.
      I decided on the doll depending on how I feel about it. I have to absolutely be in love with it XD
      I'm very picky but I'm intent on getting the one I choose when I've decided.
      I don't go by price very much but I do try to get something cheap /well...if you call it cheap XD/ but I know that it'll set me back on getting the doll that I would fall in love with.

5. Oh, my gosh. This thread is basically the story of my life. I've been having so much trouble deciding on which doll I'm saving for, never mind which doll I'm buying. My big problem seems to come with size...I have separate lists of dolls I like (SD's, slim MSD's, mature tinies), but I'm not sure which size would be the best for me. (Obviously, the solution to this is to go to a meet-up or something and actually see some dolls.) Luckily, it'll be months and months before I save up enough to think about buying a doll (and I have no idea where I will be living permanently for the next year or so, the joys of entering adulthood), so I have time to think about what I want. My only real advice is my mother's patented flipping a coin test- decide you will pick the doll that you select by chance, and then depending on your reaction to the selection you will know whether that is the right choice. I've found it works even when I know I am picking on reaction not the random chance outcome.

6. That is a really good idea, I'm gonna go try that, and I'll even use a coin outta my dollie jar =D

7. There's never ONE perfect doll for me... Unfortunately. There are tons. ^^;; I have more than one, and I still want more... >.> I do it "trial and error"... See the one I love online, buy him, try to bond. If it doesn't work, sell him as quickly and painlessly as possible, then buy another one I love. If the bonding works, then he's here to stay. Next doll, please? ^^ My first doll is my Ducan baby... He's the first doll that got me into this hobby. My second doll is my MD Ryu, I love his face, and I constantly change his face up, and still love him to bits and pieces. I have no difficulty in finding my next doll, there are so many around! ^^ Of course, this is just me. I am not looking for a doll to fit a character. I'm only looking for the doll that I fall in love with. And boy, there are tons!

8. Difficulty Choosing a Doll?
      Not really. I have never hesitated about it. Every time I have fallen into buying a BJD it has been because I recognized in it (Her or him) a character I really wish to have, it is one of my two own creation ones, it is one of my ten One Piece manga and anime series characters.

Is "the perfect doll" out there? How do you know when you find it?
      I think there are perfect BJD everywhere. Each perfect one depends on the person who looks at it. In other words, in my opinion the perfect BJD is the one which truly makes you happy. The best way - At least mine - of knowing it is the right one is when he/she makes you feel so.

If you're iffy about a doll, does that mean you shouldn't buy, or does it mean you're just being too picky/stingy?
      That has never happened to me, but from my point of view that only means you are thinking deeply about it, which in this case is the right thing. I believe in some cases you probably should and in other ones you probably should not. It depends, no matter how long it takes, on what you feel after thinking seriously about it.

9. I am having just that dilema now. I have two SDs and always thought my next would be a another SD. I however bought a custom made MSD and now I have the money to buy any doll I want and all I can narrow it down to is female and unusual. It is driving me insane. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I'm desperate :?

10. So much difficulty! Because I'm shelling characters that I've drawn or can picture in my mind, it's very hard to find a face sculpt that captures the character I'm working on. It has to have just the right shaped eyes, nose, mouth, chin, maturity, and so forth. Then, it has to have a body with the right shape, build, and the right size compared to the rest of the characters. I'm also super picky about posabilty. I never order dolls with face-ups, either. I seem to have better luck picking a doll for basic feature matches like the nose and mouth, and then when the head comes I can lightly sand the eyes or jaw to change the shape.

But I'm limiting myself to finishing those characters! I want a MNF Miyu and a Shiwoo, but they totally wouldn't fit the rest of my crew. And there are some Angelheims, too, but they don't go, either. But that just adds to the difficulty of making a decision!

11. Unfortunately for me, I've taken long enough deciding on my "it" doll that the money I've saved now has to be used to replace our TV . . . . . :sigh:

12. The dolls I want to buy are usually ones that intrigued me the first time I saw their photos.

13. To me, there is no perfect doll. I always have a hard time choosing, but then I decide that I'll eventually get both and that leads me not being able to choose which one to get first!

14. Well, I just look at the face first off. Then the size comes along, I prefer average to small sized dolls so thats easy for me. I think it's just that you shouldn't think to much about it, If you LOVE it buy it. If you don't absolutely LOVE it don't buy it.

15. I was totally torn between the MNF Miyu and the MNF Shushu. I love Miyu's little pouty lip, but all my friends say she looks like an alien. I love everything about Shushu, so I bought her. I can't wait for her to get here. But I am absolutely sure that my next doll will be Miyu!

16. I'm still in mental chaos over the limited doll that made me get all excited and determined, and the doll that I could see liking a lot more long-term (who is steadily growing on me more and more as I look at various pictures). The more I look at them both, the more I like the basic boy over the limited girl. But I still worry if I'll regret not getting the limited. Either way, I have plenty of time to choose while I save up, and if the limited is gone before I get enough, then I guess I'll know she wasn't the right doll ^^; Then, for a second doll... let's just hope no more limiteds come along and muss things up XD Looking at the databases for the dolls is really helping me, too.

17. Having this exact problem... I was originally going to get a SD but when I got around to buying one they didn't have any of the sculpts I liked, so then I was looking at some of the other sites and I've crossed off quite a few simply for their size (my first one MUST be over 60cm, preferably closer to 70cm), I still haven't found a sculpt that matches exactly what I'm looking for, but I've seen a couple that are pretty close. the problem I have is that most of the boys look either too sleepy or too angry. I want my boy to look alert but not agitated.

18. I'm quite picky actually but sometimes I jump the gun too fast. These days, I try to be more picky and study the sculpt rather than the make up. If I like the sculpt and the make up that comes with it, I would buy it. I made my mistake for my first doll by buying her without thinking long and hard because I was just excited to be in this hobby. I ended not bonding with her at all because I hated the nose.

19. I'm really specific about my preferences and taste, so lining up the dolls I wanted wasn't too hard once I went through a few revisions of my wishlist. For the future, I already know which companies I will never buy from, so that helps to narrow the field down significantly as well.

It helps a lot to know what you gravitate toward - you can probably figure this out by keeping a scrapbook of images that you really like and figuring out common threads and patterns among them if you don't already know.

20. well yea...very difficult
      I want one that's 1/4....male...very hot...but not super super expensive like 400+..perferably fully dressed..but then yea...with that price sometimes it's very hard to get...
      and the ones that\s already up....I don't like the look of it..

I get so picky sometimes lolz