1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Choosing a Doll?

Jan 29, 2010

1. Wow, this is pretty much EXACTLY what I am feeling too!!! My first doll was inexpensive and pretty, (FDoll Nina named Rika) and I love her to BITS!!! She needs a boyfriend (Nikolai), and I am having a huge difficulty trying to decide which doll to bring home...I was looking at the DoD boys and have originally chosen Luke, but then moved on to Code No. 2...at this point, even though I thought I had chosen for good, I am STILL having doubts...I love his face so much, love everything about him...the only problem I am having is fighting this inner battle about spending $500 on him and he ONLY comes with a wig! Not even a face-up! (most don't, but on a doll that's already $500, I think that the fact is DOENS'T come with a face up is kinda whack...) PLUS I live in the UK and bringing him into the country will cost me even more because of customs fees...all in all, this doll is going to cost me more than TWICE what was paid for my first doll!

I am trying to convince myself that because THIS is the doll I want, it's okay to spend the money, because it's true love! However, the sensible side of me is calling me a nut! I grew up kind of on the poor side, so the fact that I would be spending more than $500 on a doll seems kind of ludicrous to my conscience.

I am hoping that I will either learn to accept the fact that if I'm going to be in this hobby and own the dolls that I love, I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend the dough, or find another doll that isn't so expensive that will fit Nikolai's personality perfectly!

I wish you luck as well in finding your perfect next doll sweety!

2. I searched for a looooong time before Amadeaus (DollZone Wing-2) leaped off the page at me. I fell head over heels for him. And he's soon on his way. ^.^ As for my second doll, I've got a few in mind. Ringdoll's Markus, LUTS Avalanche (I've got a character in my head that loves him. He says that Avalanche's face up with that smirk is him in a human form), and DollZone Ivan. But Ivan's only from a Russian site ~.~; oh well. ^.^

--EDC

3. Weeeell....don't get me started on my Dolly Dilemmas (as I call them)

My dolls are characters, so I usually decide on the size that I want (for the character) then spend a million pain-staking years trying to figure out WHICH one I want :?

So currently I have a Puki Puki, who I love! Now I want a LittleFee (which I will hopefully be getting for my birthday, which is less than a month away, so yay! :) OK, so that sorted and planning ahead....NEXT I want a MSD sized doll. OH MY GOSH there are SO many differenet types! I do know my favourites, which are the Minifee. But I really want a pair and I just cannot afford to buy two of those (I can hardly afford one) at the moment. :crushed

I am so in love with MNF Ryeon, it is not funny. I am trying to tell myself that I can afford her...Since I have no doll money, it's gonna take two months. :roar WHY? Maybe I could get birthday money...So, like one month? Oh I dunno...

So yeah, this is basically what my DOlly Dilemmas are like, I usually start out with Pro's and Con's of different types of dolls and such, then just break down and is sort of like, "But I want THIS dolly!!" :evil:

I...uh, hope there are other people out there who do the same kind of thing...er...maybe??

4. I'm having massive difficulty choosing my next doll. Or, rather, I think I've found the perfect doll -- but I keep psyching myself out whenever I look at her. I fell in love with AoD Juli's face when I was last trolling eBay and haven't been able to get her out of my head. I have a name in mind for her and everything. Problem for me is her size. I'm concerned about a, finding clothing that will fit her and b, making clothing from the patterns I have and that it won't fit. That, and when I start making my own patterns, adjusting her size down.

Yes, she's more to be a model for me than anything else. But I still adore her -- and then back to the size of her bust and making me wibble.

So, yes. Massive amounts of difficulty here. Oy vey.

5. Choosing the right doll is a killer process for me.

My first few dolls were simple enough, but now I find myself in a total bind finding the right dolls for my next couple of characters. My problem stems from the fact they are based on pre-existing characters, so I can't just like the dolls' sculpts and bodies. I want them to look as similar to my characters as possible. Heap on things like "can I find clothes for this doll or find someone who makes them", "can I afford this doll", "will doll A's face type match with doll B since they are partners"? and I'm stuck in doll-choosing purgatory forever.

It's also difficult to mix and match to come up with the ideal doll. Can I find a resin head that looks like my character that also matches the skin tone and size of the dollfie body I want? Should I just stick to a body and head from the same company and give up the body style I want? Should I give up all together and go back to gundam models?

But ultimately I never give up. I must be some kind of masochist.

6. I am insanely picky and indecisive in general.
      The doll I will eventually pick out, will most likely be something I'll want to have for a good while, and I'd want him to be the basis of the next doll I'll be getting. I spent a long time trying to familiarize myself with body types, face ups, heads...all that neat stuff. But I found it real hard, because everything is so lovely and beautiful. That, and I'd prefer to have my own individual doll that didn't look like anyone elses. (Hah, of course they are all similiar in one way or another, but I am sure you know what I mean)

I finally just told myself to find a body first that I liked, find a head shape/style I like, then contact an artist who will be able to do the faceup I want, show them refs, and go from there. I want my doll to look as close to one of my character drawings as possible.

It's easier for me to break it down like that. Even though I might have a nakid and headless doll for a bit. HAHA, oh dear. xD

7. When I got my first doll the only thing I had in mind was he HAD to be 60 cm so well I was saving money I looked at all types of 60 cm dolls, then I just stopped looking didn't look at any site for at least 2 months. Then when I did go back the first site first doll I remembered was it. I figured if he left that much of an impression that I kept thinking about him for 2 month then he was perfect. so thats what I'm doing in the pursuit of my next doll all I know is he has to be 70 cm for what I want him for.

8. Haha that may just happen to me. xD I did see one I wanted a while back, and I am still thinking on it. But I would like a taller doll...they're just so awesome. :T

9. I am still trying to choose my first BJD, I love them and fear I will make the wrong choice. I have other dolls and made a small BJD but I really want one of the larger ones...more research I guess...

10. My grandma just helped me decide on a doll XD It's really an odd story. She visited yesterday, and asked me what I have been up too. I told her I was checking out Ball Jointed Dolls. She asks to see what I have looked at so far, and remembers a good few years ago of me wanting one...badly.

She pointed to a doll on one of the links I had saved, and told me it reminded her of how I drew, and how the dolls makeup(faceup, but she didn't know that) also reminded her of me. The head mold was just right as well...but I am pretty sure that is what my Grandma meant by her remark on how the doll looks like how I draw.

He happens to be 70 cm...so he won't be coming with clothes or the wig...but he will have his face up, maybe a little less "dark" and Grandma told me he should have green eyes, like mine. I'll have to shop around for those, too.

Next paycheck will be to a down payment on my layaway plan. Cuz that is also the only way I'll be able to pay for it. If it turns out I have enough to get clothes with him...that will be awesome.

...And even more difficult...because I like a lot of the clothes too!

11. I don't really have set characters that I try to make, so finding the perfect doll for that isn't an issue. But I DO struggle to decide what doll to buy. Usually the price doesn't come into it, though. It did for my first doll because I found the entire hobby so expensive. But then I burst the bubble and realized that quality did indeed cost it's share and if I wanted the perfect doll, I'd have to shell out for it.

My problem is that I want so many (like everyone else, I guess xD) and then the choosing begins. Do I want this? Isn't it time for a girl? He's so pretty, but maybe the pictures portray him wrong. Ah, I think I want her, but this one is so cute too! And then you're stuck there... I've figured I'm beginning at the bottom of my want list and buy myself upwards xD The ones that leapt out at me first, and still do, deserve a space in my family :aheartbea

12. Bahahah. I did this recently. I put up a couple of "WTB" adds in the marketplace, and ended up going with the doll whose deal worked out first, since I only had the money for one. ^^

13. There's so many choices no wonder you feel lost :lol: I actually I just bought my first bjd 3 days ago, before that I went through all that mental thinking process: Checked all the websites, compared prices, sizes, looks, etc...And for a few weeks I had a very hard time choosing a doll, every time I'd "like" a mold I'd hesitate and the idea of spending so much money on it was a big turnoff...
      Then she appeared and I was: :o omg she's so beautiful!! She completely stole my heart and all the hesitation was gone :aheartbea
      So the only advice I can give is go with your heart, if there's no doll that wows you right now then you better wait and keep searching till you find the one (sounds like I'm talking about soul mates :sweatwell it's a bit the case I guess...)
      Good luck ^^

14. I've always been fortunate that when actively looking for a doll, I've had that "eureka!" moment where it was almost as if I recognized them. I spent the last year and a half completely re-shelling my collection after downsizing from SD to MSD. It was definitely the right decision for me to make, but it left me with a pre-existing cast of characters I needed to find dolls for, which was quite daunting (mostly because I knew I had a finite amount of dolls to get, so each one had to really count, and I couldn't buy unnecessary extras just because I might happen to like their sculpt.) So I slowly took my time, didn't let myself get overwhelmed, and refused to buy anything just for "pretty's" sake. I waited until that moment, "Eureka!" that's her (or him)" happened.

15. Well the only difficulty for me is that I donot have any passion to have a new one....Im quite satisfied with the dolls I have now~

16. I spent a lot of time looking through the galleries until I could identify the styles and companies I liked. then I looked at what they had to offer past and present and worked on getting the $$ for the dolls I wanted. My first two (big girls) were sold out so i bought them on the MP, then I took a break and watched for new releases I liked.

If the doll is not amazing from every angle I do not buy it. Also I find that certain dolls will creep into my thoughts during the day and those are the ones I try to buy. I wish I could be picky about size but the dolls I like generally only come in super-huge! I have hopes to get Soom's Nenad though, because she is small, detailed, and lovely fantasy.

17. I have found I like some facial expressions more than others. Not keen on angry looks. The biggest decision is what skin tone to choose. :-)

18. My fiance just helped me pick out the doll I'm going to buy in August. I'm so excited. I too was stuck on 60cm range dolls, especially DOT dolls. I never really looked at the 45s. Then I was checking out LUTS for potential wigs to buy (I love LUTS wigs) and ran across a limited Spica, and pretty much cried right there. I wanted to take him home. I spent all day scouring the internet for dolls with that facial structure....slightly closed eyes, plump slightly open mouths for a real innocent sort of pouty expression. A woman at work also collects bjds and she suggested I look at Iplehouse. Well, I didn't really care for many of their 60 range dolls....in that none of them jumped out and said "pick me!" Then I took a risk and hopped over to the 45 j.i.d. section and I found Tania. She looked at me with her pouty eyes and just said, "Where have you been? I've been here the whole time waiting for you!"

My fiance and I sat down and I showed him all the pictures of dolls I've been compiling. He pointed at my lovely Shall DOT and said, "She looks like a Barbie." He saw a very pouty Silvia from Iplehouse and said, "She's my favorite." He scrolled down, stopped at Tania and said, "That looks like that other one [referring to my Spica]. Get her."

She's not the doll I expected would steal my heart (especially because I wanted a boy) but she's got me hook like and sinker. ^_^

19. It just has to call to me, I guess. I've been wanting a BJD for about a year or so, now, but everywhere I looked I saw either female dolls or really feminine male dolls (Nothing against folks who like those! It's just not want I want. XD). So, I was turned off to the notion of getting one. Until I came across Iplehouse's EID Luo.

He. Was. Perfect. And exactly what I had been hunting for. Now I'm in the process of somehow saving up for him.

20. I am having trouble deciding on getting the $600 doll, or a $250 doll that i don't absolutely love...