1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty Choosing a Doll?

Jan 29, 2010

1. I've actually been doing a lot more picture research on the dolls that I'm interested in, seeing as the picture is just one version of how the doll WOULD look. It was actually thanks to that I decided not to get two of the dolls that I had in mind and after doing more research, I fell in love with another doll. It's just a matter of looking more into the doll. And it took me a long while before I finally purchased my first one. And already I'm looking into another doll and she's not even here yet! XDD But yes, if I second guess the doll and have some doubts, I just look more into it and then decide not to get it if I'm really that doubtful.

2. This is how I felt when I got my two dolls recently (my first dolls). The plan was to save up for one doll. But then I saw the pair they grabbed my heart. At first I was only going to buy one because of the expense, but then kept thinking about the other one and didn't want to separate the two, so thankfully my hubby told me to get the other one too.

I know I am going to want to get another doll later and I hope that I can take my time choosing one. But I can so relate to how hard it is to pick just one. Just looking at all the dolls on here and the many variety of them, I so have the case of the wants.

3. I have actually changed my plans on which doll to get since new ones are popping up every day!!

4. I had to respond to your post. I was touched that your grandma help you pick out this doll. I had my grandma helped me pick out a doll when I was younger and it meant so much to me. It wasn't a BPD, but the doll is still very special to me and I will never part with it. Now that I am older, my grandma, mother and other family members can't wrap their heads around my hobby with dolls and paying so much for them. *shrugs* I do hope that you will continue to have a special bond with your doll (when he comes home) and your grandma. It will be something you can cherish years down the line.

5. I'm just having trouble picking what boy doll to buy, he must be perfect! Other than that I already know what his girl will be as well as size, and the brand I want.

6. When I was picking out my first doll I change my mind quite a bit. Then I found one that made me stop changing my mind. Choosing my second doll was easier as I already had an idea of what I was looking for. Now the only issue is saving for her. I'm not sure what looking for my third doll will be like as I haven't even thought about it yet.

7. My prefrences sadly change quite often due to a variety of new dolls coming up every day...

8. I usually browse through many companies to look for another doll because there are just so many and you won't even remember which doll is released by which company sometimes ><
      I know that a doll is perfect if I feel a really big urge to just click Buy when I see him xD
      If I'm feeling iffy about a doll I don't usually buy them though, I just leave a tab open on them while searching for the others to compare again later :3

9. I'm finding choosing my second doll a lot harder than when I was choosing my first one. I'm currently torn between different sculpts of different companies as I like each of them however all of them have different things that I partially dislike, which makes choosing the 'perfect' one hard. And as this is an expensive purchase I want to make sure that I make the right choice, because I don't want to feel any regret when opening the box, like 'oh, I should have brought that other one'.

So when I'm feeling iffy about a doll I won't buy it straight away, but may do after comparing it to other options and when I'm feeling more confident with that choice.

10. I'm having a lot of difficulty choosing my next girl doll. I want to pair her with my 70cm guy and I want her to be (A) standard SD size and (B) look similar sculpt style-wise. I never expected finding the right one to be so hard! But alas, the search continues~

11. I deliberate a lot. It can take me weeks, and many, many tabs before I decide that yes, someone is absolutely coming home with me. Sometimes this leads to frustration when I actually do fall in love "on the spot," and the doll isn't available; that's so rare that it always feels as if I've already been searching for ages!

12. For like a year now I've been trying to pick between a Migidoll Jina or a Migidoll Miho! I want them both but can only get one!! Every day I switch between the two trying to pick which ones best for the character I'm making.

13. It took me weeks to decide on a dool to order. I went through like 5 different brands, even ordered one and cancelled free the next day, and then finally found a cute baby from Little Monica. I put a lot of thought into who I want to let into my home and how they'll compare to my present boy(s).

14. For my first doll, it was kind of a spur of the moment thing, and when I saw her, I didn't have much doubt that I wanted to get her. Then again, before I saw her company photos, I had been at a loss as to what doll to get, as I liked a lot of the basic/unlimited ones. Although.. I did realize that I should have probably just gotten her 'basic' version, seeing as I didn't even buy her stock clothes there orz. ;;
      But, though I'm not really planning on getting a new doll in the near future [except if someone were to give me one as a present \shot], I think I'll have a lot of difficulty choosing with so many dolls to choose from. @u@ That, and it'd be harder to choose too if there's a limited with a time-limit out.
      I also think that another factor with choosing a doll [especially if you already have amassed a ~big~ crew], is if the doll would fit in with the others. What with its appearance and all. xD

15. My difficulties in choosing seem to be the opposite of what a lot of people have. My issue is, I'm ridiculously picky. I don't get a lot of chances to buy a doll and I've got two little daughters, so I it takes me a LONG time to save. If I only get to buy one or two dolls a year, then they've gotta be perfect. I spent the time going through every company's selection I could find and only came out with like 7 or 8 possible future dolls. I'm also weird about price. So even when I find a gorgeous doll, if its over $550-600, I won't do it. That limits my choices too.

16. Hm. "Which doll next?" is not, I think, a question I have ever asked myself. What usually happens is that I come across a doll I really like, I recognise one of my characters in the sculpt, and I check whether or not I can afford him/her. If yes, then it's all settled and I buy :p. (Sometimes this does involve finding a European dealer and/or comparing prices and shipping, but you get the idea.)

My first two dolls were really simple: I fell head over heels in love with the first and ordered him very soon (I'd only just discovered BJDs, had never seen a BJD for real - I simply stumbled across the doll version of my main character and I had dreamed of such a thing since forever). I already knew that if the doll hobby really turned out to be my thing, I'd order another doll, from the same company, that I liked very much as well. So that is what I did, a few months later.

I, er, confess that at the same time, I am also a "doll browser". There are dolls (types, sizes, companies) that I like or feel curious about, without seeing what character I might possibly use them for. Those dolls compel me to browse the MP from time to time, to see if there isn't by any chance a bargain to be had. In those cases, the sequence in which the dolls come home is entirely determined by their availability on the MP (and in Europe). I always do shoehorn those dolls into my story, but, well, the purchase is not motivated by character or story ;).

17. I'm looking for a doll that will fit one of the specific characters I have in my head, so I am doing a lot of comparing and going back and forth to find which one I feel could best match the persona I have in my head. It certainly helps with the fact that I need time to save up for one, heh.