1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

disliked sculpts?

Feb 14, 2017

1. I was just wondering if anyone had any sculpts they personally really disliked. I see a lot of people talking about sculpts they love because they love them, of course, but not a lot of people talk about the sculpts they dislike. I don't mean dolls owned by people or a particular face-up style someone has, I'm just talking about basic sculpts.

2. I really love dolls with removeable teeth. As a result, I occasionally have a frustrating relationship with dolls with teeth.

Some, like Dollits Miso, a couple of the Fantasia Doll sculpts (the ones with the huge smile), some special event dolls from Dollsbe (again, with the huge smile), and one AOD sculpt I can't remember the name of now, just aren't for me, and thats fine.

Huge realistic smiles just aren't my aesthetic. (The Impldoll and Miracle Doll large smile sculpts don't look bad to me, so I have to assume it's the realism.) That doesn't bother me.

What bothers me are the in-between dolls--the dolls whose sculpts I can't decide if I like: Alice and the Labyrinth Eilijah, Elfdoll Sian, Dollstown Hue. While I can immediately move past the dolls I mentioned earlier, this second group is frustrating because there's something both attractive and not quite right about them, but I can never get a full handle on how I feel about them. Grr.

I love some of this second group with certain faceups, but not with others. It's weird because usually faceup doesn't affect whether I like a doll or not.

It isn't just dolls with teeth--Fairyland isn't my aesthetic either. I particularly hate the knees, which is weird because I know other people love them. I think it's something about how they can look hyperextended in profile.

3. Smiley dolls freak me out too, aha. Fairyland's sculpts are pretty lame to me, too. I don't like Chloe nor Mio nor any of the other super popular ones. I really don't like Nefer Kane, they freak me out! Dollzone's special dolls are always a lil creepy to me too, though I adore others from them. I'm very picky.

4. I dislike anime like sculpts. To me they all look the same, I am all for realistic sculpts so anything else is just meh to me.
      Or smiling or grinning dolls but that is because they creep me out xD

5. I second everyone who is freaked out by the teeth-showing smiley sculpts. I am all right with a bit of mouth opening, but some of them just don't appeal to me. Fantasia's Canary has one such version, and adding to the heebie-jeebie factor is its realistic style. I am really partial to realistic-looking sculpts, but not even that will make me like Canary-cute.

6. I don't like the dolls fashioned to look like older people from ages 45 and up. It makes it a little more.... I don't know, scary? And I don't like the over-exaggerated proportions of Pullip dolls. Just not my style :/

7. I'm not really a fan of really effeminate male sculpts, although they seem to be the norm with a lot of companies. I recently told someone I liked the way their girl was made-up and was told it was a boy. Unintentionally offended someone :/

8. I'm a big fairyland fan but I really dislike all the reall puki sculpts, they are kind of creepy to me ^^'

9. I must admit that even though I love Volks their old "child like" sculpts (4 sisters) never appeared to me. I've seen some lovely customizations that make me see them in a different light, but I'll never be compelled to buy them myself.

Also, while I really appreciate the time and effort it requires to make them look realistic, gore dolls give me zombie and chucky nightmares so I have to avoid them.

10. I second the people who dislike Fairyland. I have no idea why but all their faces just look the same to me no matter how many different face-ups I see on them. It's always like I'm looking at the same face.*_*

11. Honestly I can second this. I mean, to each their own, but I want my cute dolls to be girls and I guess I personally don't understand the appeal of male dolls that look 100% female. That's why this hobby works for so many people though... you can do whatever makes you happy xD

If I ever do get a male doll it's going to be a very masculine featured one. Then my doll collection would just turn into a harem anime since everything else is a girl haha.

Personally aside from that though, I can't narrow down like a specific category of things I dislike. I have both vinyl and resin and there are certain Dollfie Dream heads that I never cared for like the DDH-04. I also stay away from the more creepy resin sculpts but it's more of a case by case basis and no broad categories.

12. Ringdoll Mona for sure. The crying face unsettles me so much :sweat it would make me sad to have a doll who always looked so upset. I also don't like FL Mirwen, the browbone on that sculpt feels really harsh to me. However I've seen some Mirwens who were customized really nicely and didn't look so angry to me hahaha. Also FL Celine. Again I've seen some beautiful Celines but in general I'm just not a fan of that face.
      Some sculpts I don't dislike per se, but have grown really tired of bc of how common they are. MNF Chloe (F60 Chloe doesn't bother me for some reason. Guess I just see Minifees too often), Resinsoul Mei, Volks Nana/Megu/F-01/other names I can't remember (lol) and 5th Motif Venitu are a couple of those. None of them have faces/features that actually look bad to me, I just feel like I've seen sooo many of them. *_* Oh some Switch sculpts too. I used to love Soseo but I've grown a little bored of seeing them hahaha.
      BUT... no hate to any of these sculpts! I know everyone has different tastes and loves their dolls :3nodding: I don't want anyone to feel bad if they see a sculpt they love on this thread :( so please don't!

13. I'm in the "open-mouthed sculpts with teeth and a tongue give me the heebies"-camp, and there are definitely faces that I like more or less than others... But I can't really say that I actively *dislike* any of them. Even faces that I wouldn't necessarily have in my own collection can still look absolutely amazing when someone else gets ahold of them and turns them into something fabulous.

I've done a lot of "Sculpt X isn't usually My Thing, but THAT ONE? That one's seriously darn cool." over the years. It's taught me not to write off any sculpt as a total loss, because as sure as you do somebody's going to post one that's great.

14. sculpts with really big eyes and comparatively smaller noses and mouths tend to bother me. mnf chloe in particular. just fairyland in general? it's a bit hypocritical because i own a resinsoul mei, but i bought her at a time when i wasn't so tired of that aesthetic.

also, doll leaves kira. maybe it's just the company photos but something about it really unnerves me.

15. As of right now I'm not a fan of sleeping faces with the eyes completely closed. The eyes to me tell a part of the personality, so I can't really connect if the eyes are not there. That being said I do like the faces where the eyes are almost all the way closed, but you can still see a slight slit of an eye peeking through.

For the bodies I'm not really into super thin dolls that have very large breasts. I like dolls that have proportions to their bodies that seem more realistic to me.

16. Ahh I should have thought of this during my earlier reply. I totally agree, I'm so picky about eyes!

17. I'm not a big fan of anime doll. And I don't like Fairyland doll's too.

18. Well, every time I say I don't like something, I end up finding one that breaks the rule, so....here's my answer that means nothing at all. XD

I don't like the "mouth breather" dolls. The big smiles are fine, a little bit of a toothy grin is fine, closed mouths are fine. But there are some that have that whole no chin/gaping mouth thing going, and I find that really unattractive. Growing up, I had constant allergies and sinus problems which forced me to breathe through my mouth most of the time, and I had a lot of painful orthodontic work during my preteen years to fix it, so seeing dolls that remind me of that are really just not for me!

Another is extreme expressions--vampires in position to bite, crying faces, tongues out, winking sculpts, O-face. It's not that I find them ugly or anything, just that if I spend that much on a doll, I like for the face to be neutral enough to use in many settings or stories and not be limited to one expression that will be inappropriate in most regular photos.

Also, I don't like the exaggerated body types--thighs bigger than shoulders, hips four times as wide as the chest, ankles thicker than necks, head to body ratio about like Bratz or Monster High. It doesn't bother me so much on play line toys, but I prefer my BJDs to have a more realistic or artistic ideal body type.

19. I don't care for anime doll that much either, come to think of it.

20. Notdoll Belladonna - the sculpt looks like someone who's as-high-as-a-kite on whatever drugs they could get hold of, and the shape of the mouth looks completely deformed.

In general I don't like grumpy or miserable looking sculpts - give me a smiling mouth (preferably with visible teeth) any day.

Teddy