1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Display or play

May 31, 2019

?
  1. only display them all

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. play with them all

123 vote(s)
    53.5%
  3. 50/50 some for play some for display only

93 vote(s)
    40.4%
    1. I like to play with my boy. After playing he goes back into his box. That's the only place, where he is safe.:)

2. Well, they are on shelves, in a dark room that only I go into. I do pose them and get them into new outfits.

3. None of my cats have shown interest in any of my resin dolls so far either, but I have had a few of them chew on other figure/toys' hands in the past when they were kittens or just younger. I don't want to risk having them shallow a piece of resin, if I can avoid it. They also tend to want to knock stuff off shelfs, if they can get into them, so I think it's much safer to keep my resin dolls away from my cats at all times. It helps that it keeps the resins from yellowing too fast (from what I have seen at least), so I don't mind it and I don't have the desire to display my resin dolls anyway. So, it works for me either way. (:

4. I voted "play with them all" but in reality I neither display or play with them. I just keep them in their boxes and take them out when I feel like dressing them up to enhance their look and occasionally attending with them to meets. I guess at the end of the day this counts as playing with them all too?

5. Yes and no, I do some of that, but I also just play with them - they're toys, after all, play is their primary function - I pick them up and play with them the same as I did with my Action Girl and Pippa dolls, and my bears and other stuffies when I was a child.

After all,as the saying goes, "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Teddy

6. Though in the past months I haven't had much time to play with them and they have been only on display, I really think it is a huge part of the bonding and the hobby in general to play with my dolls in terms of getting them out, change their clothing, sit them by my side, posing them as they were doing things and sometimes even 'translating' (I am used to 'translate' my cat whenever she does meow and I guess what she is saying so it's not weird for me to do the same with silent dolls) and talking back to them xD

7. Half half.

8. Play all the way. Technically my dolls are somewhat "on display" in my room - as in, I usually have a few of them hanging out in the dioramas (not all of them because they wouldn't fit any more, so the ones I'm not currently playing with / making stuff for are in a dark closet) - but they're not "on display" in the living room or some such place, because cats. And light. Also, cats. :kitty1 I only take a doll along with me to the living room when I'm making something for them, and even then only for as long as I'm in the room.

9. I would always have mine displayed and then I'd alternate which one i'd work on, but not I feel like i've turned into a Vampire and always put my dolls away if i'm not using them. Probably doesn't help that there is a 4 year old in the house now so displaying them isn't really an option unless i want to gamble that little hands will or wont touch them.

10. I currently don't have much room for display (although that's a goal...), but I tend to take them outside a LOT when I have them out. (Don't worry, they're generally put away if I'm not playing with them, not strewn all over the house or anything.) I don't want to have any dolls I'm completely deathly afraid of moving, but it might just be me.

11. Live with them all. They sit on my desk and i don't think it counts as displaying. =)

12. I’m having a difficult time answering this question. When I buy a doll my intention is to get it all done up, and take it everywhere. However, once I get the doll I’m too concerned with damage, so it becomes just a display item. I know bjds are sturdy, but my mind only thinks of how much they are worth, or if I could ever replace it, and I chicken out. I find this very frustrating. I do this with all my stuff. So I chose the 50/50 play and display option as I do ‘play’ with my dolls in the house.

13. I definitely prefer to play with them. I have them all sitting around in my room, but I wouldn't call it "display" since half of them are inside my closet and the rest are covered with cloth (must protect from the big, bad sun!). I don't think I'd be satisfied just looking at them, anyway. For me, the fun of dolls is dressing them, posing them, taking photos, and, uh, talking to them (don't judge;;;;;!!!). I work from home so I like to have one sitting on my desk and I often like to touch his hand for reassurance or turn his head so he can look around the room.

#34 bickazer, Jun 5, 2019
      Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    14. Sometimes my mind goes this direction, but then I remember how many people walk around dropping their $1000 smart phones and I don’t feel as bad. :P

15. Neither, really?? I checked 'display' on the poll, but they're 'displayed' in a closed cabinet so they're not really visible most of the time. Too paranoid about the UV rays... and I don't really play with them much at all except for the occasional photo or outfit change.

I do have one (my 4th tan Bambicrony Emily) who I recently decided to keep out on a shelf. If she ain't gone green or yellow in a year or so, I might reconsider having the rest of them out.

16. Most of my dolls fall into the discussed 4th category of play and then display when not in play. :)

But I do also have exceptions, some dolls are packed away (due to space constraints) and I have a couple of dolls that are only display.

My display only dolls are:
      ~ My Dollzone Moment, because he is so fiddly and delicate in his sculpt and faceup. He gets a prominent place in my display case where I can admire him and he's still safe.
      ~ And my Dollfie Dream...because I have discovered that while I love the aesthetic of her, I'm terrified to move her and break her internal frame or stain her. So she is my cute, huge, posable figure in the display case. :chocoheart

17. My one group is my sentimental dolls. Either because of memories, or who did them or both. They will on occasion travel with me, but they otherwise aren't really played with. Now my other two groups are story line characters so they will in a sense be played with.

18. It really depends on how playable the doll is! For example, my Doll Chateau dolls tend to be display dolls since they're too lanky to stand well, a little ungainly with posing, and a little too expensive to feel comfortable really playing with. But my Dollzone and Clover Doll boys feel much sturdier and more satisfying to play with, since their joints are reliable and they just feel better in my hands.

GENERALLY I display everything far more often than I play with it, but I guess I just have clear preferences for who I generally happen to pick up if I want to hold one of them.

19. Play. I hide them when I am not messing with them, one, because of the sun and two, because this is a bit of a secret hobby for me.