1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Display or play

May 31, 2019

?
  1. only display them all

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. play with them all

123 vote(s)
    53.5%
  3. 50/50 some for play some for display only

93 vote(s)
    40.4%
    1. I definitely play with them and have them sitting out and not in their boxes... i might as well look at them since i love them.. move em around, change them etc.... so i find its better to play then display then play and put them away like some do, though where i live, it doesnt get that hot, and the dolls are generally out of sunlight 99% of the time so im not worried.

2. I have some that’s just displayed cause they’re too small or strings are too lose or another ones are my vinyl dolls(dolfie, smart doll and angel
      Philia) also my SD 65 cm girl .. I guess when I don’t really enjoy them they end up on the shelf ..

If I do they always get dressed up .. haha like couple of times in a month but I rotate .. now I have a new dollhouse which is huge (except for the SD’s) and they all just hang out there and I get them to dress up or rotate their spot

3. I play with all of my dolls but totallu respect a 'display only' dolly :) i just have a personal thing where I enjoy a doll the most through play, sewing for, knitting for, and dressing them.

4. I chose play with them all, because there is none of them I wont take down to dress, or sew for, or take pictures of. I like fussing with all of them. Most of the time they sit around where I can just look at them.

5. My dolls are stored in their boxes, sans wigs and clothes. I take them out to make them new clothes, and take pictures of them, but rarely.

6. I've found I mostly display my MDD, HDF31 Coco, and 5SD Nancy while I prefer to play with my DDS and HDF31 Aru. The first three are all special editions while the last two are both standard dolls

7. i totally agree with ‘display when not being played with’. i have mine on display but love to take them out for photos and dress up!

8. Currently I kept my only doll in its box and only took him out whenever I'm trying to sew something for him or taking him out to conventions. My parents doesn't like seeing the doll being displayed, so that's why I kept him in box most of the time. They probably think its creepy or something :XD:

9. Speaking strictly for myself, I've never been a fan of display-only dolls. Dolls are meant to be touched and held and carried around and to sit on your computer table where you can imagine them making color commentary on whatever you're doing/reading/typing. Or maybe that's just me. Chaeri and I have a super strong bond and, inanimate hunk of plastic or not, she's a part of my life.

10. This is a hard one to answer, it entirely depends what one means by "play"! I usually buy my dolls blank and naked, so in the sense of painting them, making wigs, sewing clothes, crafting or finding accessories, I play with them a lot. However, once a doll has a completed look, or if I'm not actively working on them, they go on their display shelves and tend to stay there. If I liked photography I'd probably take them down and pose them more, but I find it frustrating so rarely take pictures. I love gazing at my collection on their shelves though!

11. I do both. Play and then display with I'm not playing with them.

12. I really only take my boy down from his display to change clothes or take a few pictures, so I'm not sure if that counts as play. He's more of an art piece for my room rather than a toy.

13. It's crazy I want to play with my Bjd but life, work, (and animals) really keep me from enjoying the hobby. I have everyone on display though.

14. For 7 years I've been reluctant, almost afraid, of touching my dolls but I am trying to get over it! I get a lot of pleasure just from having them on display near me though - they are strangely companionable :aheartbea

15. I am a new doll owner and have already settled into a weird habit of 8:2 play:display. My family have uncanny valley phobia so while they have no issues with dolls, my bjds are a little too realistic for them. So outside of dressmaking and photoshoots I keep him strictly out of sight so my mum doesnt turn a corner and have a heart attack!:lol: Also doesnt help that he's a 68cm and the size of a toddler.

16. I mostly display my dolls. Every once in a while I will pick them up, hold them, etc.

17. I am in the play category. There are a few I don't play with as much, but they have all been played with, and continue to do so. There are just so many things to do with them.

18. I chose display since I've never seen my dolls as playthings. The only interactions I have with my dolls are changing their outfits or posing them for pictures every now and then. I don't consider that "playing" with them since I'm more interested with the artistic/fashion aspect rather than the fun aspect. All of my dolls are displayed in a room that does not get sunlight so I don't worry about that kind of exposure. I am satisfied with just seeing them and appreciating them that way.

19. I’d say a little of both. I don’t currently own any with full sets anyway so it’s easier to play with them and display when I’m done. Though I do have one head with an artist faceup. While I love the faceup, I hate how careful I feel l need to be with it since the head has mouth parts I like to change out now and then. I think if I get a doll that costs a lot and has really nice clothes it may become display only.

20. I do both... I think my idea of playing with them is more like making them clothes or photographing them... I’ve always been more concerned I gusss abouf the look of the doll than things like the poseability or them fitting to a certain character if that makes sense.

However I like taking them out and taking them to meets and in general I like the presence of my dolls in my room.