1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Display or play

May 31, 2019

?
  1. only display them all

14 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. play with them all

123 vote(s)
    53.5%
  3. 50/50 some for play some for display only

93 vote(s)
    40.4%
    1. I love to Play with my dolls and make small photoshoots. Sadly I didn't have the space to display them atm... so I need to store them in their boxes.

2. I have several VERY expensive full sets with large delicate costumes that are mostly just on display. It took such an effort to get them dressed, that I was scared to touch them after. I do occasionally take them out for photos though, but for the most part, I just like to stand back and admire how amazing they are. :D

But some of my others, are more for ‘play’. I carry them around with me, set them on my lap when watching tv, and just mess around with them more. I’m not as scared to mess their wigs and clothes up as I am with the big expensive ones.

3. i've only had a doll that I display and play (and floating heads that were hidden).. i just need to get the feel of my doll's character just so i could actually bond with them.. without interaction, i dont think it will hold that much value for me.. i just prefer to play with them as much as i can when i have time

4. Depends on your definition of "play" but I don't play with my dolls, long past that at my age. Cleaning them, changing their outfits, hair very occasionally etc, I don't personally define as playing. I don't bother with dioramas or photography/photo stories so I display them like works of art, I don't see them as play things even though they are dolls. Yet they are rather expensive and somewhat fragile so I wouldn't want to mess with them. I've never been interested in doll photography and customisation for me is relatively basic. I'm just interested in the way they look, that is all. Most of my dolls have remained the same on display for a long time, same outfit etc and i'm still happy to look at them. I only really touch them to clean them.

5. Mine are basically play only, and the only "displaying" they do is sitting on my desk :XD: But that's more because they're comforting to me and I want to see them close than for anything else.

6. I would do both. I want to dress them up and pose them for photos, but I also want to display them when they are not being used. I want to avoid keeping them on their boxes since they’re so beautiful.

7. I have some smaller dolls, that I have dressed and put on display. They stay there, in their perfect poses that took me hours to get right.

Then I have my larger dolls for actual playing. Maybe because the larger dolls are easier to dress? At least, in my experience they have been XD So I guess both. I have designated dolls for their respective rolls. :chibi

8. I would have answered, "both," but after reading this thread, I guess I'm more of a display than a play type person. The only playing I can see myself doing is changing clothes/poses, fixing hair/makeup, and setting up dioramas and photoshoots. I don't feel much need to carry my dolls around and have them watch TV with me or such. I never played with dolls even as a kid, so now that I'm just becoming interested in them an adult, that may have something to do with it.

9. II would say that pretty much all of mine get played with. I like to take them out for pictures and my friends and I regularly have doll meets. As some of my favorite dolls are aging, though, I find that I keep them more on the shelf because I'm worried something will happen with their faceups. Many of the doll companies I originally bought from have changed or closed, as well, so there is a bit of a fear factor that parts of them could become damaged and I would not be able to replace the pieces. Still, I feel that if I have these dolls I should use them, so keeping them on the shelf is something I try to avoid.

10. I display them and I guess play might call under losing for photography purposes, so he's I do that. They are mostly on display though as I don't get the time of motivation to photograph them too often

11. Their definately play for abit, display then go back to playing around with them.

12. I do both! I'll display my dolls near my desk when I'm chilling around or working at home, but I do like playing with them too when I feel like it. However once I get the body for my Akagi Ban head, I'm probably going to strictly keep him as display since 66cm is kinda too big to just play with haha

13. I love dressing and posing them. If that's play, then I play with my dolls haha

14. I definitely do both, but I classify "playing" as dressing, posing, taking photos, changing eyes/wigs, doing faceups and other maintenance, etc. I personally don't literally "play" with them like act out scenes and play house or anything but if that's your thing, you do you! When I'm done playing I just put them in a simple pose and sit them somewhere out of the sun.

15. I guess I'm in the minority with a strict only Display policy. Most of my dolls go untouched behind their glass cabinet for years on end. Like all the other dolls I collect, they are just there for me to admire. I wouldn't even name them/I forget their "names" often. They are just beautiful objects for me to admire.

16. I've played with them all But most are just on display now as I like how they are done. My SDs haven't had their clothes changed in years & many need restrung. I still change my slim minis with the seasons & play with Little Fees & friends the most.

17. I love to play with my dolls, but due to lack of time on my side, they spend more time being displayed than played with. But I consider them as dolls to play with and not as display dolls. If that makes sense... ^_^

18. None of mine are purely for display, only time they are is when I'm not doing anything with them.

19. I don't have any "display only" dolls. I enjoy changing their outfits and taking pictures of them regularly, although when I'm not doing those things, they're safely displayed.

20. None of my dolls I have atm are display only, I enjoy getting them out, re-dressing them, taking photos and making things for them ^-^ Then they have to go back in their cases until I find somewhere better to display them (Somewhere safe from little hands lol) x