1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I detect a hint of... chicken?

Sep 29, 2009

1. There's been inquiries on smoke but what about other smells?

I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?

Has anyone ever brought how your doll smells to your attention?

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?
      (Sometimes you get used to odors so much that you don't realize your items smell a certain way.)

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?

Curiosity. ;)

2. if i could have my soon to be home maybe doll smell like anything forever and ever, it would have to be my victoria's secret "Love Spell" that is my favorite smell in the world.. that and Fruit Loops lol. I'm kinda weird i know lol

3. I don't know for sure. I'm so used to the smell of my house that I don't notice any odors on my cloth dolls.

4. I bought an outfit once and it smelled like a gallon of perfume had been soaked into it. I have also gotten an outfit that reeked like cigarettes. I can live with perfume but the cigarette outfit I never used.

I also wanted to mention everyone's house has a smell. I used to sell houses and every house I went into even those most perfectly clean houses had there own smell. Not that it was always a bad smell but it is true people and houses have odors and I imagine so do dolls and clothes from said houses.

5. Hmm... I never noticed any smells--only plastic bag smell if that counts.

And maybe some cat hair--which I do not mind since I love cats!

Oh yeah--and newspaper smell especially when they packed your items safely and used newspaper for cushioning. I don't mind this either.

6. When I'm working on my dolls they tend to...smell violently of MSC or isopropyl alcohol, LOL. xD And if they're new straight from the company and fresh out of the box, BAM!! New resin smell. x3 But right now...*sniffs dollies xD*...I guess that don't smell like much of anything. Strong perfumes make me sneeze, so I'd be hesitant to spray them with such things---that, and what if the sprays reacted against the resin? D8
      Hmm, if I could choose, I guess a cool smell would be Earl Grey tea with jasmine, or the smell of ginger. Or clove. xD Lol, cute thread!! ;D

7. I know food smells linger on clothes but do they on dolls? Pet odors?
      I don't know about food smells but I had a doll body arrive in packaging that smelled strongly of a sort of fake lavender vanilla - when soft I like the scent but the packaging was just too strongly scented for me. It faded from the body after a few days though.

No, but my cousin said her doll's wig smelled like my house after he stayed here a few weeks getting faceuped and piercings and such. Not sure exactly what she meant by that.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do? (Sometimes you get used to odors so much that you don't realize your items smell a certain way.)
      I think if my dolls were to pick up an odor it would most likely be my perfume(s). I don't slather it so you have to be very close to smell me most of the time, but they might pick up a bit of it. If so I'd just say what it was.

If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?

I collect BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab perfume oils) and they have a huge selection. Ruth would smell like Anne Bonny, Jack like Calico Jack, Fitch probably like Port Royal, Samuel like Jolly Roger. The airship crew would smell like their steampunk scents - Finn would probably smell of No. 93 Engine. Mona would smell of Bordello. Simon would probably smell of Wilde or something similar, and for some reason I think Sapphira would alternate between Jailbait and Penny Dreadful.

None of them actually smell like any of that though. I have considered dabbing a tiny bit on their wigs, but it seems a waste and I don't want to damage them or the wigs.

8. What about you, OP? When you get your first dolly, you'll have to update the first post and let us know what you think. ;3

9. I do notice that dolls I buy second-hand tend to smell....not bad, just like, well, someone else's house. xD; I know my first boy will always smell a tad like cigarettes, and though I hate that smell, on him mixed with the smell of his eye putty...he's my first boy and super special so I love sniffing in his head. xD;; Other than that I don't think my dolls smell strange...though I have scented 2 of them by putting cotton balls in their head/torso that smell like perfume. The smell soaks into the resin so even months after I've taken out the cotton balls they still smell nice. :3 As for clothes...I go a little fabreeze happy so they smell like that. :P I bought an outfit once that was on sale from a company and it smelled really musty when it first came. Must have been in deep storage. lol

edit: I could also probably spend 10 minutes typing out what scent I'd want for each of my dolls, but I'm lazy. It would be nice if some where scented, but I have a few that still smell like new resin and THAT is my favorite smell for a doll. <3

10. Nice title :P

Oh my goodness, how would a food smell get on a doll?! D: I certainly hope everyone washes their hands after a meal before playing with their dolls, otherwise you risk getting oil and crumbs on it. If you mean odors wafting through the air from cooking, those certainly never got into my doll, but then again she was kept far away from the kitchen. I can't really see this happening in any circumstances, actually :/ doesn't seem like resin would retain food scents even if cooking was going on nearby.

If someone did ask why your doll smells like your last meal of Burger King or your dog when you gave it a bath, what would you do?
      Be rather disappointed with myself. If my doll smelled like fast food, it would mean I had either gotten some on her or otherwise exposed her to the stuff, which isn't very cautious ownership.

Either vanilla or...erm, Febreze :sweat (I guess that would constitute a "fresh linen" scent.) If I ever buy a doll from Angell-Studio, I will definitely get the vanilla scent resin!

11. LOL yes, but I still have 1 more month waiting. ;_;

But oh if he smells too much like plastic, I doubt I'd be trying to smell my brand spanking new dollie. If he sorta smells like books... well... I'll probably look creepy sniffing Levi like a dog. >_>

And I'm pretty sure he's going to smell like Filipino food after a couple of weeks. If not the doll body, the clothes. |D

I'd want him to smell like Vanilla, cause it's super delicious and not too strong. :9

12. Oh yes--the NEW DOLL SMELL!

How could I forget this~? :doh

When your doll is brand new, it's completely unavoidable to get a whiff of that NEW DOLL SMELL when you open the box.

Yeah, it's like catnip--resin smells different than your regular, cheap, supermarket plastic bag. Ohoho~

I'm sorry--I must be high on resin fumes~ :...(

13. Sanyu doesn't much have an odor. She kind of sits in the closet when I'm not playing with her. So if she does have an odor, it's probably the smell of clean clothes. I don't really notice. And no one else has brought it up.

I don't remember what new doll smells like anymore! XD I'll have to compare the smells of Sanyu and Gael when I first get Gael.

If I could make them smell like anything forever... it would be different per each character. Sanyu doesn't have a smell I'd want her to smell like. But Gael, my next dolly, would smell like Cherry Blossoms ALL the time. It's actually part of her character. ^_^() 'Cause I'mmadork like that.

14. None of my new dolls (or any of them, really) have smelled strongly of resin at all. If I put my nose up to them I could smell it, but there was no strong waft of it when opening the box or anything.

15. The new doll smell on mine actually never went away *_* It wasn't overpowering or anything, but if you were within a couple feet of her you could smell it. I sold her after a year and I'm positive her new owner got a faceful of the same resin scent when she opened the box.

16. Hopefully Levi doesn't come with a very strong smell. Any strong smell that isn't food, especially perfume, plastic and leather makes me dizzy and, often times, hurl. >_<

17. kewl! DH has -iirc- forty-one BPA scents and wears a different one everyday (he's like a clotheshorse for the nose, despite being a smoker.) His fave is 'Death on a Pale Horse' but I like 'Area 51' on him a lot. My own favorite BPA to wear is 'Schrödinger's Cat' (of course :kitty2) though usually light classic florals do better on me, like Je Reviens or Diorissimo.

But perfumes and scented oils don't really 'develop' without the presence of human body oils and warmth (a big part of what I love about the best BPA scents is how they change over the day, almost telling a 'story')...so I don't think it's worth the risk of putting fragrance on resin - bummer.

In theory - yes. Resin is porous, which is why we have to seal it to protect from stains. Odors tend to rise with warmth and 'ride' air currents in the house, so if your dolls are kept on a high shelf, they could easily 'catch' smells if they are constantly present or intense. If something burns, or a lot of cooking is done with hot oil, that residue could easily deposit on a doll, just like dust or smoke.

ah...the last time I ate at a Burger King was...sometime in the late 80's? Seriously - on the rare occasions I get out of the arctic, I am too busy chasing down good noms, like sushi, bubble tea, and roti to give fast food a passing thot.

In the unlikely event such a question did come up, I hope I'd have a funny (if rude) rejoinder like: 'oh no, you must be mistaken - I'm pretty sure that's your upper lip'...
      well...ask a silly question, expect a silly answer, ne?

I think each doll would have a smell that suited their character - I mean, 'Roswell', a 'little green man' wouldn't smell the same as 'Haiku Konpeito', a little rainbow flower fairy, right? All the Tigerbabies would smell like lightning, sweet peas, and cotton candy.

Now you've got me thinking...I *need* a doll that looks like how PC Chocolatey Chai smells...

18. I have a super-sensitive nose, and (according to my friends!) tend to like the more...unusual smells... ehe ^^;

I *lovelovelove* the smell of New Doll. My first doll smelled like it for a long time, and I was upset when it faded XD Also, I don't know what it was... the paints used, I guess... but if I put my face close to hers, her face-up smelled like fruits for several weeks after she arrived!! Has anyone else had a doll arrive like that? It was so curious!#

A pair of shoes I got for my boy have a rather strong scent, which I think is to do with the gloss applied to make them patent... (sorry, I don't know much about shoes, but however they are treated, it was that type of coating), and they have a slightly musky scent that hasn't gone away yet and I really like it ^^; I now associate that smell with dolls, period. We were in a bookshop recently, and a similar scent wafted past, and I cried "dolls!"... haha~

As for how I'd like my dolls to smell... hm, new car? Foam packaging? Petrol? Paddling pool? Yes... paddling pool...

XD~

19. If you could have your doll perpetually smell like something specific, what would it be?

What Kateb said. "Fresh, brand new dolly just out of the box" scent. Some people call it a "resin" scent. When you go through the excitement of a box opening and you smell this particular scent, it's likely you'll link the sent to the happy memory of a box opening, thus ending up liking the scent and feel happy when you smell it. Even though it's actually a plastic/chemical scent.

Sometimes when people bring a brand new doll to a meet up, that scent still lingers around the doll and it makes me wish I could buy a new doll. XD

20. Hah, fun thread. :D

I keep my doll in my room, far away from the kitchen, with the door closed when I cook. He doesn't go out with me so I don't know if restaurant smells would cling to him but I would imagine that it wouldn't be a problem. Can't comment on pets since I don't have any.

Nope.

"But he LIKES Burger King! D:"

Unlikely, since I don't. I hate their fries. :P

Like... cotton candy? Only because I'm sure he'd hate to smell like that. >:]

Like AmyAngel, my boy has never really had a strong odour. I've had him for a month and I can only smell it now if I stick my nose right on him. New resin and MSC - actually not really unpleasant.