1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do it yourself or pay someone else?

Jun 28, 2009

1. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      It depends - some dolls, the 'factory' face is part of the 'whole package' that initially caught my heart, so I opt for that; others, face-upped was the only option to purchase I had at the time, so that's how they are.

I have - several times - bought a doll with a company faceup with the intention of wiping it, yet -almost without fail!- get to loving the doll that way and leaving it either as original, or adding to it. I enjoy my factory-faced dolls a lot, and often examine how their faceups and speculate on the techniques and materials they use at the company.

2) If done by someone else, is there a certain artist you have in mind?

pft! that would be like paying somebody to have my fun for me!

3) If done by you, why did you decide to do your own?

For fun! Doing face-ups is one ton of fun and I think my enjoyment in the process shows in my results.

4) Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? (Either by the company or another artist) And if so, how did you go about fixing it?

I've added to factory face-ups before, but not so much because I was 'unhappy' with them as that was my concept to begin with, to make them the character I have in mind.

If ever there was a face-up I'd received I truly didn't like, I think I'd just wipe it and do my own. Trying to 'blend' with previously-done work is a pain in the butt and usually not worth the aggravation...
      ...I say this, and I have the skills to do it - matching-up colours is something I do really well. But it's fiddly and annoying; think as a process there is much more joy to be found in doing something new!

2. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

I normally prefer to do it myself, but when it comes to tinys I really would rather the company do it. I do have a default face-up on my DOD Ducan, Soom Kyrie, LK Peanut and Volks Suiseiseki but I have enhanced the Kyrie and Suiseiseki but changing elements of them. All the rest I have done myself as I'm quite confident at it and enjoy it.

I do really like Morbidollz face-ups, Rapunzel, LIttle Resin Hearts: but I havent really serached for any actively so I am sure there are absolutely loads.

I really enjoy it, it's cheaper and I like custoise my dolls myself really.

4) Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? (Either by the company or another artist) And if so, how did you go about fixing it?

Not unhappy, just felt they needed enhancing. It which case, I "fixed" them by repainting the elements I wasn't so keen on, replacing eyelashes etc

3. No doll yet, but I anticipate doing my own face-ups :)

4. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      If the company has custom faceups or a default I like I prefer to get that since it saves the hassle of booking an artist and waiting weeks or even months to get the faceup done on top of the normally long company wait!

Not really, though I am quite picky and there are a few artists that I'd have in mind. I do prefer to keep it within the US (international shipping = expensive and possibly very slow), though I am so pleased with Belladonna's work on my new guy that she'd be my first choice for my next non-tiny faceup if I could get a slot from her. <3

I used to do my own faceups but I don't anymore because a) I don't have a particular talent for it, and b) I really dislike doing them so don't want to practice enough to get really good. But when I first got into BJD's I decided to do my own for the simple reason that it was no easy task to find a faceup artist; there just weren't very many in the English speaking BJD world. There was not always a big DoA forum with a marketplace - customizers section. ^_~

Yes, default faceups that are included with the doll no matter what do tend to annoy me as I'm stuck paying for it if I want it or not! lol. Though I was very disappointed with the first faceup I commissioned an artist to do. It was a gorgeous faceup and I was quite impressed by the quality, but it just wasn't what I'd wanted. I didn't fix it, I wound up putting the doll up for sale. However, I consider it my fault and not the artist's since I was not as specific as I could have been and should have given more details. I'd totally commission her again though, just with copious amounts of detailed instructions. xD Live and learn!

5. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

At first I got company faceups. Now I have someone else do it. I will never, ever, ever do my own faceups (and anyone who's ever seen me attempt to draw and/or paint will know why!) though I can probably do the basic pastels/blushing reasonably well. Detail work? PFFFFT yeah no not so much.

All my non-company faceups have been/will be done by ukelala because she just rocks like that. I was lucky enough to be able to sit there and watch her paint both Grey and Lian, and it was an amazing experience to watch the way she works. (She does all their clothes too. Because, as I said, she rocks like that.)

N/A. See above.

Not particularly. The two company faceups I've gotten are really lovely, and all of my other ones were done spot-on exactly perfect.

6. I would prefer to have either the company faceup or to have someone else do it for me. I admit I don't have very much in the way of artistic talent - and my dolls are worth too much for me to ever consider practicing on them. Imagine the mistakes I might make! I'm not much of a risk taker in that respect.

If I choose to have my faceup done by someone else, I choose the artist based on whether or not their personal style matches what I want for a particular doll. I have a few artists in mind that I like and will hopefully be able to commission in the future. :)

7. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      So far I have done my own faceups, but I would like to find a good artist to rely on in the future.

not yet, but I will find that person, by george! lol

I've never been able to be satisfied with default faceups on my dolls. When I first entered the hobby, it was difficult to find artists who would be able to do it in a style that I liked for a reasonable fee, so I decided to try and learn to do them myself.

Yes, even though I had previously purchased a doll with a detailed faceup, I still couldn't bond with her. I didn't want to sell her; so I went ahead and wiped it and gave one myself. Far from perfect, but she is now closer to what I had envisioned her to be. ^^

8. When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

Pay someone else, whether it be the company if the default fits what I need for the particular doll, and in all other cases, I find an artist who I think will give me the desired finished result. These dolls are supposed to be lovely works of art and fun for me, and I don't find labouring over them very fun. I love the magic of opening a box and the finished product being there and ready for me and find no enjoyment in the actual, physical creation process.

If done by someone else, is there a certain artist you have in mind?

I usually will have someone in mind as I plan for a doll, though I do have a few doll artists who I have used several times because I enjoy working with them and love the finished faceup. And then there are the dream artists whose work I would love to own someday in any capacity. Avvelenato inspires wistful sighs in me.

Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? (Either by the company or another artist) And if so, how did you go about fixing it?

If the company default isn't what I want and there's no option of leaving it off, I have no problem in wiping the default off. The same goes for secondhand dolls I've purchased because I want the sculpt and not the faceup. I have had several problems with commissioned faceups that involved the artist completely ignoring my instructions and taking too long. In the end, I just wanted the heads back so I took them as is with the faceup I did not want and in the case of two of them, had them wiped and sent them on to another artist. One was an extremely expensive faceup and I've learned to live with it.

9. 1) When it comes to faceups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option), or have someone else do it?

One day I would love to attempt to do my own faceup but for now I leave it up to the company or skilled artisans. I do not have the "CONFIDENCE" as yet to perform such a task and I work full time - so I guess I would have to say the 2 things working against me are EXPERIENCE and TIME! For now I go with the manufacturer or a faceup artist on DOA - I support my "DEN PEEPS"!

When it comes to a company performing one of my dolls' faceups I always go with the artists at DOD and Souldoll. I purposely choose those dolls for their company's faceups. To me, those dolls are perfect the way they are - but, I have no objection to getting a customized faceup by an individual artist on these dolls as well.
      As far as my chosen artists here on the Den I so far have had Akiko Smith (tsuminaki) of Vitta Vera do a faceup on my DZ Shoyo and MNF EL. She does very "CUTE" faceups. I highly recommend dybbuk for her "REALISM" - especially on celebrity Minimees. She has performed faceups on my DIM MNM Zack Fair, Cloud Strife and my (SD) Miyavi. I AM ALWAYS EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH HER WORK! As for artists I want to have work on my dolls - I really like Pulse's work. It has an "INTENSE REALITY" to it and I would eventually like a faceup done by Helene. Helene's boys always look so "SOFT AND GENTLE". The only problem is HELENE LIVES IN AUSTRALIA!
      :lol:

3) If done by you, why did you decide
      to do your own?

At this point I leave my faceups to another artist. VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!

4) Have you ever gotten a faceup you weren't happy with (either by the company or another artist)? And if so, how did they go about fixing it?

SO FAR - SO GOOD! I have yet to acquire a "BAD" faceup! ;)

10. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I do them myself, actually all my dolls except my SWD Nono have make-up by me.

I think I'm the only who can understand 100% the character and I know exactly the expression I want... besides I love to do make-ups! So I rather do my own make-ups on my own dolls... because it's too much fun!

Yes, Company made... and I just wipe it off and did it myself.

11. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      Occasionally I'll buy a doll that has paint from somebody else or a default faceup already. I almost never keep those faceups, though. I buy a doll specifically to paint. Wanting to paint a particular sculpt is how I judge whether I want the doll, for the most part.

I admire many artists here, but I've never sent a head off for painting and honestly could never imagine doing so.

For me, the paint is the fundamental part of creating the character. If I had a doll painted by someone else, I don't know if it would feel like mine. I've always been someone who tinkers with and customizes things anyway.

Early in 2005 I think it was I ordered a BW Chiwoo from Luts. I went ahead and ordered a faceup, because I was new to bjd and I guess it just seemed like the thing to do. When it arrived, I was horrified because it was done in very orangey tones, which I thought looked awful with his white skin, and wouldn't suit him at all as I imagined his character. So I ended up wiping the orangey bits and using another color. I bet it looked awful, as I doubt I had any idea what I was doing!! XD I no longer have the pics, unfortunately! I remember I was very pleased with him at the time though.

Raven

12. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I prefer doing my own, but I'm not that good yet. Acceptable and decent, but not GOOD yet.

I love both SDink and Illness Illusion's work, I'd just really have to save for it.

I'm an artsy person, and someone who likes to do things myself. I figure, maybe if I get good, I can do commisions.

I only changed my tiny's faceup from BBB because it was old and flaking when I got him from another person here. I kept it pretty close to the original though.

13. 1) The very first doll I ordered has a company default face-up. But the very first doll I "received" did not have face-up. and after trying to paint my doll and seem the company face-up, I actually prefer doing everything my own. So most of my dolls don't have company face-up now. (except Pukisha)
      The reason for me to Do it myself is because I think by painting them, I actually give them a "unique" type of feeling. Although with the same face mold, different face-up can create different personality and different character. So it makes me think "My doll is somehow different from xxx's doll. although we have the same face mold"

3) For me, I just paint without thinking too much. I may browse online to see how other artists do on some part and think "hum, I can try that" then do my face up. '

4) Too many! Sometimes a face up may be good to see in person but not good enough for photography. Or, some funny things that I did not realize until I coat him on the last layer of MSC. Usually I will just leave it for a few days then I will wipe it and redo the job.

14. When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it, or have someone else do it?
      I paint my own dolls, mostly. Not all companies offer customized faceups and I usually have ideas other than default faces, sometimes involving modding so a preexisting faceup will have to go anyways. That and...I'm way too clingy to my dolls to ship them off somewhere else! :O

There are many talented faceup artists...I think if possible I'd like my doll to have a Rapunzel or Robin's Egg faceup...

Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? And if so, how did you go about fixing it?
      The only dolls that I bought with faceups were my first, and that was back when Luts offered faceup customizations. Still I did fix minor things like blushing and shading, it's not very difficult to add color over an existing face. ^^

15. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I'd always have the company or someone else do it. There are alot more skilled face-up artists around here than me. That's a fact! XD

Actually, I just bought a head from Armeleia. It looks alot better than the factory face-up I think. :)

-No Answer-

I'm still not sure if I'm happy with one of my girl's default face-ups or not. I was thinking maybe I (or a friend) would add a little more to her eyes, but I'm still not sure.

I also have advice, if you're unpleased with a factory face-up, don't be too quick to judge, you can always buy it and change it later if you want. Also, if you'd like a custom face-up, but are afraid you may not get what you want on your own, look around for face-up artists in your area. You might be surprised at how many you can find. When (and if) you do find some, ask to see some of their work, and if you like it, see if they could work on your doll. Sometimes it's good to help them with explaining what you're looking for, but some face-up artists perfer to create the face-up on their own. (like a few professionals) The one thing to really remember though is saying "I want mine to look like that!" may not always work depending on the sculpt, the reality, and because of the big fact that no two dolls are alike. Being Unique is what makes the hobby fun and interesting.

16. I've NEVER gotten a company faceup. xD I consider myself a pretty creative person, and I just CAN'T bring myself to pay someone to do what I know I could do myself! Besides, I hardly ever see a company faceup that actually suits the character I have in mind. ;)

17. When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      Actually, if i have the money, I wouldn't mind letting someone who I believe could bring the character I am looking for or whether I like the company face-up, then I would. But I would only do so for my first doll, since he's my most precious one and wouldn't mind coughing out some dough just to get him a very good face-up.

All of my dolls have face-up done by someone else. The first two are done by their company, which is DoD. I really feel that their face-ups are awesome really. My third one was done by his previous owner but I modified his face-up to look more dramatic in a sense.

If done by you, why did you decide to do your own?
      I only did modifications on my third doll's face-up. I felt that his face-up isn't what I'm looking for and I wanted a more dramatic and serious look from him. So.. that's kind of the reason why I did so. I also touched up my DoB because I felt there wasn't enough blushing and I darkened her eyebrows.

Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? (Either by the company or another artist) And if so, how did you go about fixing it?
      The answer can be found on the previous answer.

18. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

I prefer to do my own, but will commission an artist if I love everything about their work.

I'm sending my Bory to Bake_Neko. I'm willing to risk sending the head all the way to Hungary because Bake_Neko is just that amazing.
      I also plan to have one of my dolls painted by Korisanzu.

I generally like to do my own because it's very difficult to transfer what is in my head into reality. It's that much more difficult when trying to transfer what's in my head to another person's imagination and then to reality. Bake_Neko and I were on the same page from the start so she's an exception.

Only from myself, I don't buy company faceups.

19. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      It depends on the company face-up. Some are gorgeous and I haveno intention of changing until their current face-up gets damaged. Others I preffer to save myself the money and do it myself. Every dollar counts!

The doll that I have completely FAILED to ever get a good face-up on is my Volks Heath Alexei. He's on his fourth face-up and I'm still unhappy with him. It's always been my dream to get a Morbidollz or SDink face-up but the cost and waiting lists make that near impossible for me.

#1 to save money. I'm competant enough that O can do my own even if it's not my favorite activity in the world. #2 I wiped Alexies default because it was areallt ugly basic face-up from Volks and I wanted him to be vampire with a gothier face-up. And I like to save money.

Well, I've been unhappy with my own... But for the most part no. The LEs I have that came with face-ups as part of the package- and the face-ups are part of what I liked about them. Heath of course I though was a terrible default and so I wiped it and did my own.

20. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I would love to be able to do my own and have one faceplate that I practice on, but really, my faceups are so bad in comparison to some of the artists here, I love my dolls to have thier faces done by them.
      I have had 2 unoa's and 1 school C (on his way) by Ravendolls. They are so exquisite that I am happy to pay for someone with that much talent to bring home a work of art to enjoy. I have also had a really lovely one done on my Leeke hero by Meggilu here, and am having a Leeke mihael done by LULA makeup here. I am also lucky enough to have a slot booked with Jay Searle for my volks elena in August.
      3) If done by you, why did you decide to do your own? I practice on my unoa hybrid because she came blank anyway.
      My narae came with a narindoll faceup, and although she is pretty and I wouldnt dare fiddle with it too much, its not nearly as good as the ones by Raven.