1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do it yourself or pay someone else?

Jun 28, 2009

1. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I don't have the best hand when doing it and would have to practice before I would do something like that with my dolls. I think I would let someone else do it.
      2) If done by someone else, is there a certain artist you have in mind?
      I would have to say this one lady in Georgia. I forget her name. But, I bought my first doll from her and she did it really well.
      3) If done by you, why did you decide to do your own?
      It's cheaper and I can do the things that I have in my mind. So, its more custom.
      4) Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? And if so, how did you go about fixing it?
      I have never. But, I think that I would have to take MR.Clean to it. Got to fix mess ups.
      :aheartbeaAnnie:sweat

2. my very small two cents, i'd love to have an artist do a faceup on a doll for me. like any handcrafted art, that makes it more special and personal to me. plus i'm a disaster with a paintbrush >>

3. I'm still saving for my first doll, but I definately am going to do his face up. Besides them being absolutely beautiful that is the main draw for me. I want to play with them and for me playing means painting their faces and creating a costume for them.

I would consider having another artist do the face up for me, if I loved their style.

4. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

In ranking order i would have to say, company first, only because i got attached to my doll thanks to the companies face up... second choice would be having someone else do it, and lastly, i would never do it XD lol i dont trust my artistic abilities that much O_o...

Yes and no :sweat? lol... i've seen so many great face-up artists on here that do such a lovely job that i can't err really name one right now XD...

N/A XD - but if it were to happen, i would have to be pretty desperate O_o or not sane XD

4) Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? (Either by the company or another artist) And if so, how did you go about fixing it?

N/A, if it did ever happen, i would probably try to fix the easy do-able ones myself.. which would be errr... scenting the doll X_x *cough*.. and then i'd proceed to finding a face-up artist XD

5. My self I bought my first doll with a Company face up only till i get the hang of it my self and Order my supplies. I get to paint my friends Doll I like the company face up to much right now.

And i would only commsion if i was sick or just didnt have the time to and My doll really needs one.

6. I like to do my own if it's a boy, but prefer a company face up for a girl. ^^;;
      I don't know why but I don't usually like the company face ups for guys.

7. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

I have no problem in admitting that I have no skills with a paint brush, so I'd rather someone else did it for me. I have very clear ideas of what I want my girls to look like, so I prefer to get a custom face-up by a commissionable artist.

Tigerlily and Ophelia had their face-ups done by Silvia at Clockwork Angels and I am overwhelmed at how talented she is. I've already asked if Étoile can visit her when I buy her, and Silvia has agreed to paint her for me.

4) Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with?

I'm overjoyed with my two girls, and I think that the reason that I am so happy with them is because myself and Silvia regularly contacted each other. I sent her brief bios of the girls so she knew what their characters were like and I was specific about colours and the like. Although I hadn't envisioned what it was that she actually did (which is perfect!) I knew that she had all that information she needed to make my girls look how I wanted them. I think that you have to have a good relationship with the artist in order to be confident that you will like the finished product.

8. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I prefer to let the company do it but if that wasn't an option (buying a doll from the MP blank) then I would have someone else do it (I'm scared of messing up and there's no place for me to do it here anyway)

yes but she doesn't take commissions any more so I'll have to find a different artist.

I have no safe place to do faceups (or the materials) but if I did I'd do it to save the money, wait time and get exactly what I want.

4) Have you ever gotten a face-up you weren't happy with? (Either by the company or another artist) And if so, how did you go about fixing it?
      no, I was actually pleasantly surprised with my girl's company face-up, it wasn't as dark the promo pics showed it to be ^^

for the most part I prefer to do things myself as opposed to paying someone else to do it for me but in certain cases such as this I don't really have much of a choice.

9. With my first doll, I went for the save side and ordered him with a company face up. And when it was wearing off, I was really relucant to try myself at it. But once I started, I never stopped. I do all my faceups myself now.

Why, that is easy. Aquiering my doll itselve was a big dent in my budget, so I made a pact with myself: I would do everything myselvf, that I'm capable of doing. There may be exceptions sometimes, but for a basic, that is the rules I go by. Besides I'm very happy doing all my dolly-stuff myself^^.

Faceups I'm not happy with have a very simple solution^^. And yes, I have created mosters, trying out color combinations.

10. Because I am a beginner I would prefer the company to do mine. I did recently need to re-do some blush as my girl got a nick in her cheek. :(

11. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I prefer to do it myself. I am picky, and while I know of many people who are far more skilled than myself, almost every faceup artist's style has something in it I do not like. I don't like the idea of getting a beautiful expensive faceup home and having to wipe it because the expression is simply not perfect. I have never seen a company faceup I liked enough to actually want on my doll, so that has never seemed like an option to me.

If I ever have a faceup commissioned, it will be from Sdink. I love her work, especially on Dollshes (which are my favourite dolls, too heh). I just don't know which doll I would have her do.

The number one reason is because I am incredibly picky. I also do actually enjoy the process.

Well, some of my faceups are pretty crappy XD . . . once, I got a doll with a company faceup because the store did not have any blank ones left. I was kind of excited because I had never gotten a doll with a company faceup, and I wanted to see how it differed from mine and from what I had seen done by commissioned artists on other people's dolls. Well, I hated it. I have seen pretty company faceups on other people's dolls since them, but I just don't like them for my dolls.

12. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      Up til now I still did my own faceup ^__^ not quite good though but I'm trying my best

hmmm because it's cheaper and made my doll just different from others ^__^

Never tried default, but i guess if i'm not quite happy with it, I will erase and make it blank again >,<

13. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

I usually prefer to do them myself. I know it will look like shit but at least if I eventually get to do something nice I'll be able to brag about it XD also, it feels more personnal.
      the only dolls I've ordered with a faceup (and probably ever will) were my chiclines because I really don't feel ready to even TRY to paint something so small ._. I can already feel the headache just thinking about it xD

no. I never check faceup artists ^^;;;

<<if I eventually get to do something nice I'll be able to brag about it XD also, it feels more personnal.>>

N/A
      haven't received my chiclines yet and they're the only dolls I've paid someone else (the company) to paint for me.

14. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

Depends on the doll; I have dolls I got with the company faceup because it suited the character, dolls that I painted myself and a doll painted by someone else too. c:

Yes, yes, yes! xD I have a couple dolls I want to send out for faceups (when I finally get them) and I know exactly who I want to commission for their faceups.

Because I thought I could do the character justice with the skills I already have.

Nope, not really~ if I had to fix it I'd do it myself most likely though... or if I didn't think I was good enough I'd send the head out for a new faceup.

15. I am in no means artistic xD so to be honest, I will probably get the commission - most likely from the company or from an artist that I really like

16. I would like to be able to do my own face-ups someday for the sake of saving money, and because I used to love doing things like this and would like to get back into it.
      For the time being though, I'm either sticking with company defaults or having a friend with more talent than me do the face-ups for me. XD

17. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

I like to do my own faceups, absolutely. I need to give my dolls a personal touch.

Nope, I don't particularly care for any artists in general.

Mainly because that's what I bought them to do. I really enjoy doing faceups, in spite of all the whining and moaning when things go wrong. XD And I just cannot feel connected to a piece of art done by another person?

Yes. I had to get some dolls with default company faceups. As pretty as they were, I just could not wait to strip them off and go nuts on the blank faces.

18. I really enjoy doing faceups, so I have done all mine myself except for my two limited dolls, which both have their default faceups. There are a lot of faceup artists whose work I admire, but I haven't felt the urge to send out my dolls to anyone else. Not to mention the prices are often pretty steep. XD;

19. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?

Most companies have pretty high prices for their face-ups so if I'm not being a cheapo or the price is right, I'd go for it. I also like to do face-ups on my own and I have considered commissioning for some.

Nope...none, to exact. There are a few I have in mind, but I haven't even decided who I would sent if it came to that. XD

Because I'm a cheapo and don't want to spend money on others for something I can do myself, even if not so well XP

N/A

20. 1) When it comes to face-ups, would you prefer to do your own, let the company do it (when that's an option) or have someone else do it?
      I prefer to do my own. I just love painting dolls, it's my favorite part of the hobby really. I'm an artist and I love bringing out the personality of the dolls with painting them.

Well, my first doll was face up-ed by Kiki-Chan78 and I love it. She taught me then how to do face ups with my second doll.

I decided to do my own because I had a lot of the materials already (I'm an art student), and it looked like fun. I love getting blank dolls and discovering who they are by painting them. I feel like I bond better with the dolls if I paint them myself. Not to sound full of myself, but I feel like I'm a really good face up artist at this point, and I keep getting better.

Yes, yes I have. My DragonDoll Cheng came with his default face up to me and, pardon my language, he looked like a vulcan drag queen. Nothing against vulcans, drag queens, or even vulcan drag queens, but he simply isn't one. It took a good hour of scrubbing to get the face up off and then I did my own. Later I redid it when my skills improved since I accidentally gave him "marker" eyebrows. In my defense, he was my 6th face up and my first boy WS face up. He looks way cool now with scars and what not.