1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do they really hold their worth? How "old" are YOUR dolls?

Sep 15, 2009

1. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      I would consider a 5 years old BJD as an old doll. Yellowing is the sign of getting older.

Do you think the dolls hold their value?
      I don't want to put any price tab on my dolls for how much they're worth. To me, they're priceless.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll? If so, what do you plan to do with it?
      My oldest dolls are just a little over a year, so they're still in great condition.

How old are your dolls and how long do you plan to keep them?
      Lan&Lian - 1 yr 2 months
      Kai/Gui & Emiru - 7 months
      Risea - 3 months
      I want to keep them as long as time allowed.

2. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

One of the Volks from '98 or '99 is old to me. Probably any doll older than six years or thereabouts. But, it's a subjective question with these dolls since none of the companies have been producing BJD for longer than a decade.

I think limiteds hold their value, and even exceed their value. I think that your everyday DoD or MNF won't, at least in this economy. But if you've got a doll in good condition, with minimal yellowing and a professional face-up, then sure.

Um, I own a slightly damaged head. I'm hybridizing it. I have plenty of "aged" dolls, I suppose, if we're talking about yellowing. I'm keeping them.

Well, let's put it this way, my oldest is 4.5 years (from 2005). And I don't plan to sell him. From there, they range from four years to my newest, which is a few months. I don't buy one when I can't afford to keep one.

3. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

A doll more than 20 years old is old to me...In the context of this hobby, I would say dolls from the 1999-2001 period as they are very different from many modern dolls (even if the same sculpt is available, the resin has changed and the body sculpt/jointing has changed). Dolls will yellow even if you never expose them to sun. This is just part of oxidation.

Some do some don't. Regardless, if I am not totally in love with a doll when it arrives, I sell it because it is just too much money to leave it sitting around. I typically get back what I paid, maybe a little less. Sometimes my dolls increase in value, but normally they just stay the same price.

My oldest doll has yellowed a very small bit, I do not think she is damage in anyway and I have no intention of ever selling her.

While I have bought and sold many dolls over the years, I have plenty that I have kept since I have been in the hobby. My Nono is from 2004 (bought in Fall 2004) and Yuni is from 2004 (bought in Fall 2004, sold, and then repurchased in 2008). SwD Mimi is from 2005 (bought in Jan. 2006) and Luna is from 2007. My Unoa is from the 2008 preorder and my Megu, Puki, and Chrom are from 2009. I typically buy 1-5 dolls a years and I sell the ones I am not totally in love with and keep the ones I am. So, dolls on my list from pre 2008 will likely never leave me and the newer ones will probably be thinned out.

4. Thats pretty cool! Is it a BJD or another type? I dont know how old the BJD industry is

5. What do you consider to be an "old" doll? I consider an old doll a doll that has been played with so much its damaged and dirty.

Do you think the dolls hold their value? Partially but with how the economy is people try not to allow them to.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll? If so, what do you plan to do with it? Damaged no, I had an alot older doll b4 but I ended up selling her while downsizing.

How old are your dolls and how long do you plan to keep them? Um, I guess the oldest doll i have is maybe 2 or 3 years old. Um the dolls in my main family now I plan to keep them always.

6. Well the oldest doll I own is the original Soom MD Sard. That makes him about 1.5 years now. He was the first doll I've got. I... actually don't have a concept of "old" for my things as I just think of them as just existing there, not necessary placing any value on their age. Couple of pieces of my toy collection go back more then one decade, i still do not consider them old ^^;.

I guess limited dolls hold their value to a degree. Even a pretty badly damaged limited would not sell much below their original price.

Well, actually both dolls that i have with me are "damaged" - Sard has a broken ear and a broken horn that I glued in. And my Bleu Citron has been modded to hell and is missing chunk of her leg as her string snapped when i was carrying her around. I personally do not care if they break or shatter, I have a sort of affinity for objects that where broken and then put back together, but in such way that it's obvious it was broken before. So "doll aging" is something I almost look forward to. And well, the ones i've boned with - i intend to keep them forever, in whatever state they might end up in. (im not exactly careful with things. ^^)

7. Dolls from the 1999-2001 period are what I consider 'old', because just like NabeeRain said: They are different from 'modern' BJD's.
      Whether or not they hold their worth really depends on the mold. My newest doll is from 2007, my oldest from 2003 and they all have exceeded their value. I was lucky. It comes down to how popular a mold is, I suppose.

I'm not planning to ever sell them. Only if I'm in dire need of money will this thought cross my mind. To me, the age of the doll makes them more special, I like that they have a history.

8. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

I have been in this hobby for six years, so anything older then that. Like old FCS heads ,blue fairy dolls, old unoa's and Custom House oldskin bodies :)

Some do, like some limiteds. Not sure if mine have, don't really care.

My first girl was a damaged head on an old body, I love her. So I would keep her forever. If another doll was badly yellowed I would try to fix it or replace her/him.

I have had Riddel for 5.5 years. Kisten for 5. Nefret for 4.5. Shane for 4. Etti for 3. Selket for 3.

and no plans to sell any of them, probably ever.

9. :aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea

This is possibly the sweetest thing ever.

10. I think 'old' is relative. We're not using 'old' in reference to dolls in general, but a specific type of doll. Being that the modern BJDs only really started in the 1990's, a doll that's 10+ years old is pretty 'old' relative to the bulk of dolls around these days.

Also, this is a pretty 'collectable' hobby - there are lots of limited editions, one offs and other limited things which, despite being technologically/stylistically outdated, still hold value because the market dictates it to be so.

I've had my oldest doll 5 years now, and while I've added to the collection, I still have almost all the dolls I've bought, only selling a couple. I plan to keep them until I'm no longer interested in the hobby. Even then, I might just downsize to a couple, keeping them as keepsakes or good memories.

A lot of people have high turn over of dolls as they become interested in new sculpts, and get new ideas for what they want in their collection. But that doesn't mean you can't keep your dolls longer. They're made of a plastic, so it's not like they're going to disintergrate anytime soon. They may change slightly, like yellowing, but that's somewhat of a given and most people in the hobby understand this when buying/selling second hand.

Also, economically at the moment things are pretty sucky. People aren't buying as much and I've noticed a marked decline in overall prices (excluding some very sought after dolls like the Soom MDs) over the last year and a bit in the marketplace here. Previous to that, the second hand market could get you a very similar price to what you paid, or more depending on what you're offering.

The holding value for any doll is only ever going to be dictated by the demand of others in the hobby. As the hobby gets bigger, the demand trends will change, and perhaps the relative worth will decline slightly, because of how the market is expanding and the number of options now available. But it really depends on what you're offering and what people are wanting.

11. If you read through this thread, you'll find the answer. ;) There are also some excellent threads in General Discussion about the history of BJDs, not to mention the FAQs on the toolbar at the top of the screen.

12. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      BJDs to me are still fairly new, so I don't consider them old. I would consider anything older than ten or fifteen years old, but I haven't anything that old. XD

Not in this market. At one time they did, but with the current saturation and amount of companies coming out on a monthly basis, no they do not.

I will own, once the last two arrive, twenty-one dolls. The oldest is from December of 2005, and has seen many things. Age and damage is subjective, I believe. I have modded dolls that some would see as damaged. I have a Rheia head that was modded opened eyed and one eye cracked. I have a Mythdoll Little Leroi that I see as damaged, but I love him regardless. The resin wasn't the greatest and over the years he's absorbed the remains of face ups, body blushing, and yellowed. He's also been modded more opened because the resin is so soft it scratches easily. I integrate damage into character flaws and make them beautiful. An overly opened eye on the Rheia head is now a scar that happened when 'she' was a child and fell from a tightrope onto a branch. Medical care wasn't the best back then and so she nearly lost an eye. For the other, he has been modded with gear work to cover the stains and scratches, and they have been darkened to scars and spots to match his 'reanimated status'.

The oldest is from 2005, and the youngest is this month. I plan on keeping all of them, and the only two I ever sold were mini-tinies, because they were simply too small for me to work with. I never bonded right and could never get a character to go with them. I'm a fairly easy person to bond with, because I rescue MSDs and come up with characters at the drop of a hat and have been making stories and worlds since I was old enough to talk.

Overall, I think the worth of a doll isn't always monetary. My worth is by how much love and amusement I get from them. From what I can make for them and buy for them. What stories I can expand on and photos I can take. That's the worth to me, and it doesn't matter if I spend $200 now and can't get $50 six months from now. It's like any other hobby. Manga, anime, or electronics. It's going to lose its resale value, but what's the value to you? Is it enough to burn that money on? Will it increase the quality of your life enough?

That's worth and value to me. :3

(Edited to add, my oldest is a Kid Delf Bomi, and he's a discontinued mold. I could never sell him because he's my first baby, he's not available, and he's very rare! I haven't seen but a handful of Bomi's really...)

13. I never thought this thread would get so much of a response! I find it interesting that many people do in fact consider a five year old doll to be relatively "old". I suppose we must take into consideration the rather recent creation of this hobby. But, it is still a bit odd, when you also consider that there are antique dolls over a 100 years old out there. Some of those dolls might have been much less expensive than the average BJD in their time.

I'm really quite interested in what is in store for us BJD collectors in the future. I like the idea of keeping at least one of my dolls with me throughout the years, which is why I started this thread. It will be very nice when some of us can say we've had our dolls for 20+ years.

14. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

I don't. This hobby is too new for real 'old' dolls.

Depends on the person owning the doll. I feel like their value is based on the love you have. If you loose the love for the doll withing the first year of owning it, then it didn't hold value to you. If someone else wants it, then it still holds value. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay... and what they are willing to pay is based on the value it holds for them. People who don't want a doll any more or are detached may sell for less because they don't see the value in it anymore.

Sanyu is almost 2 years, 2 years in October. I don't consider her old. I plan on keeping her a lot lot longer.

Erm... see above question.

15. I have a question that is part of this. When were the Beauty Green Delfs released? I mean, what year basically? I have Niko who is a BG Delf Shiwoo and I think he's from 2004? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

16. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

Older than me lol

No.

These are luxury items with a limited market. There are currently so many dolls on the market that it is very hard for any doll to hold its value. But I don't mind, dolls are not an investment, I buy them because I like them. ^_^;

Some of the dolls I own while limited were Pre-orders so lots of people pre-ordered. Kuuta, Chinatsu and Shinn got several Volks releases which put a lot more out on the market.

I don't consider any of my dolls damaged. ^_^;

My oldest doll is my MSD Sakura bought in November 2002 from Volks Akihabara. She doesn't pose quite as well as some of the later dolls and the old peg cap head caps are a royal pain, but I really like her still. She is a bit more yellow but I think that might be her natural resin color, just like how my first Choco when I got him was more yellowish, some resins are just different colors.

I also have a Yo SD Rengemaru who must be from 2005 since he is from the earlier release, a Yo SwD Rengemaru/Suzuna who is also from 2005, a BF Tommy head from 2004 or 2005 since it was before BlueFairy introduced their pink resin and a PF Choco from about the same period.

Let's see:
      Hiroshi (Alain) is from 12/07, Yuuta (Rigel) is my recent doll from this summer, Yuki-kun (Olive boy) is from 2006, Yuutan (Tommy+MSD)is a hybrid with a head from 2004 or 2005 and body from 2005 I think? Jinny (MSD Sakura) is from 2002, Yuzu-chan and Suzaku are from Summer 2006 (Chinatsu and Kuuta original release), Lelouch (Yo SD Shin) is from May 2007, Rolo (Rengemaru) is from 2005, Nunnally (SwD Rengemaru/Suzuna) is from 2005, Gino (Yo SD Yuki) is from 2007, Schneizel (modded SwD Piccolo) is from 2006, Kanon (Yo SD Yuh) is from 2007 or 2008? Anya is either from the 2008 or the 2009 release of Yo SD Kira, unsure which since I got the head in swap. Euphie is from 2009 (Yo SD Mimi), CC from 2009 (Yo SD Ryo) and Kaguya is 2008 (Hinata) I also have my old Choco from 2004 or 2005, Yoko from 2006, and Aroa from 2006 I think?

Generally I sell dolls when I want the money for something else or I decide another doll would work better for a character I want. It's not about the age per se, so much as sometimes a new mold comes out that is just better suited. Nearly all my dolls are character dolls.

17. Well, the oldest Ball-Jointed Dolls that I personally know of are the wooden pair from the 16th century that were stored at the Kaiser Friedrich Museum in Berlin, but those are not longer in existence, as far as I know. They're actually the dolls that inspired Hans Bellmer (the guy who sculpted the original 1:1 scale BJDs that our modern ABJDs are based off of) to create his girls. My understanding is that use of the ball-joint on wooden dolls actually dates back to the Roman Empire. An except from Jean Lotz's page on ancient wooden dolls expands this slightly:
      While the joint in question (the "swiveling hinged ball joint") is not identical to the jointing currently used in the kind of ABJDs permitted on this forum (with a few notable exceptions, such as the Dollfie Dream and 60cm Obitsu bodies), it is nonetheless a ball-joint, and arguably a more developed form than the simple strung ball-and-sockets employed by Bellmer. Of course, many of our modern ABJDs have also deviated from the simple ball-joint structure, with advancements in joint engineering leading to the incorporation of locks in the knees and elbows, ratcheting in shoulders and hips, and even sliding parts in some double jointed doll limbs to allow more extreme bends without over-extending the joints. While our ABJDs still possess "ball-joints," they are obviously not limited by that title to a pure form of such.

18. What do you consider to be an "old" doll? I'm not sure really. My oldest doll is three years next month. She looks the same to me.

Do you think the dolls hold their value? I think so. As long as they are in good condition.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll? If so, what do you plan to do with it? I plan to keep my oldest doll.

Kari -3 years next month. KEEP
      Kit - 2 years. KEEP
      Meredith- 1 and a half years (Possibly sell her at Christmas)
      Griffin- 1 year next month! KEEP
      Merry- 3 months old. Keeping.

19. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

I don't really know as far as BJDs are concerned. If resin has longevity, I suppose BJDs would grow old slowly and gracefully.

Remarkably well methinks, depending on condition of course. I've seen accounts (online) of neglected dolls brought back from the brink of death and their value restored.

No damaged dolls here.

My first doll is over 4 yrs old, and my second not far behind. Youngest doll I have is um... about 8-12 months I guess. I'll never sell my dolls.

20. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Obviously in terms of the ABJD hobby itself, I'd have to say some of the first Volks dolls from the late 90s. ^^ But honestly, any BJD that's pre-2005 seems "old" to me, but that might just be because in the whole scheme of things, I'm pretty new to the hobby, ha, ha.

Standard dolls I'm not sure, but limiteds, provided they are still in good condition, I'd have to say yes. ^^

After I removed Soom's original body-blushing from her hooves, I found that my Beryl had orange stains beneath.. :( So she might be considered "damaged", and she's also my oldest doll. What do I plan to do with her? Keep her and love her forever of course!!!:aheartbea To me, she is the most beautiful girl...I'll never forget the feeling when I opened the box and saw her face for the first time---she was even more beautiful than pictures could ever make her, and I gasped aloud!! I was stunned by her beauty and I still am and always will be!!:D

Malice [DoD Homme Ivan]= almost one year [original owner, great condition, KEEPING MY FIRST LOVE FOREVER!! ;D]
      Bree [Soom IO] = head 1 year and 1 month, body 6 months [2nd owner for head, original for body, perfect skin match and great condition---he's still not "finished" the way I want him yet, but I can say with near confidence that he is here to stay. ^^]
      Miss E. Bellequa [Soom Beryl] = 1 year and 6 months [2nd owner, other than faint orange on hooves---no fault of either the previous owner nor I---great condition. I worked so hard for my "neverending dream"; she'll be with me forever I hope!! *^^*
      Hazeroth [Soom Cuprit] = 6 months [original owner, pure white and perfect condition---positively always keeping, I'll *never* be able to find another doll that would suit this character better than Cuprit! ;D]
      Aaytna [Luts Wintery] = head 9 months, body N/A [poor bodiless dude:sweat] [original owner, great condition...such an adorable face. Totally unfinished, but honestly, I just do not see myself selling him ever. As soon as I first saw that event head on Luts, I just fell in love~]

The only doll I've ever sold so far was a CP Shiwoo, and it had nothing to do with his age---I had only had him for approx. 5 months, and sold him because he wasn't fitting the character I wanted, classic scenario. He was basically never played with, sat in a box, and was thus in awesome condition when he went to his new and loving home. *^^*

In short, it seems that most people rarely sell their dolls because they are "old"; although the effects can at times be unpleasent, I believe many owners have accepted that sometimes yellowing is to be expected, and will more often than not, keep their "old" dolls because simply, well, they love them!! :blush:aheartbea