1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do they really hold their worth? How "old" are YOUR dolls?

Sep 15, 2009

1. What do you consider an old doll?
      Super Dollfie is scarcely 10 years old. If we are talking about BJDs, none of them, in my books, can be considered "old." If you are talking about them in terms of fashion, I suppose last year's dolls are old ("so last year"). But I don't care about trends, personally. I look for what interests me.

Do you think the dolls hold their value?
      I am pretty sure that most of the BJDs I currently own could not be sold for what I paid for them, due to a combination of factors. Again, this doesn't bother me much, as I am not looking to get my money back out of my dolls. Frankly, I'm not sure dolls are a smart investment in the best of times, with the exception, perhaps, of the true antiques.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll?
      I do. My first BJD was a Souldoll Paris; he was cast in the beautiful, but perilously photosensitive French urethane they were using back in late 2004-early 2005. He turned lemon yellow. I ended up "retiring" the head, repurposing the body, and buying an assembly kit Haughty Paris to re-create that first doll, Caro. I still have the original head, though.

How old are your dolls and how long do you plan to keep them?
      As I noted, Caro was the first; he arrived in January 2005. In one case, I've picked up a "new" version of an old doll-character (but I kept the old doll, too). That was not because I was after something "new," just something more approximating the person I saw in my head. Otherwise I do not swap out "old" dolls for "new" ones; my most recent doll purchases have been "old" dolls I found on the secondary market. Barring some awful fiscal emergency, I have no plans to sell any of them.

My crew are, as they say, working actors. They don't go out very often, but when they do, it's with a vengeance, and we may do hours of shooting in all sorts of crazy conditions. I don't keep them cabinet-perfect and I'm not too fazed by minor damage. My only concern about the age of my dolls is the photosensitivity of some of the resin recipes.

2. This. This is exactly how I feel. I am cautious about sunlight exposure, but otherwise, I'm not overly gentle with my dolls. And if I "swap out" an old doll for a new one, it's always because I've found a new mold that fits the character in my head better. Usually, I swap out bodies only, as engineering and resin quality improves. I've only gotten new heads for one or two dolls. In a couple cases I decided to move from 1/4 to 1/3 scale, so I sold entire dolls and replaced them with larger ones that were meant to be the same characters.

3. What do you consider an old doll?
      I don't really think of dolls as old unless they're antiques. I do think of my MSD as older, though in the sense I've had her for almost 6 years now and I understand the dolls better. I didn't know much about yellowing or how to care for the resin back then.

Ah, it depends I suppose. How rare the doll is and the condition its kept in. I think most of mine would go for much less than I paid. Partly because of the mods I did and partly because they aren't really sought after molds.

I suppose you could say that even though I don't think so. It depends on your definition of damaged. I had an Elfdoll Lydia head that I had to sand and reshape the mouth because someone had started modding her, but in the end she was super cute. She didn't look like other Lydias any more though. My MSD is, like I said, going on 6 and is definitely aged. When I first got her I didn't really know as much about BJDs and they were still pretty new so she was left in a room that got sun and thrown out of a car in an accident (only got two minor scratches that were easily buffed out) and has had her ears pierced. She's yellowed, smoothly though to a semi unnatural colour in certain lights. I also have a MNF Shiwoo I sanded the nose down on and pierced his ears and eyebrow so he now has permanent holes too. And my AR has had the boobs sanded to make a boy type and there is some minor yellowing difference between the old resin and the parts where I sanded. You can't even tell I bought my Nabi Kiss 'damaged' since she just needed epoxy cleaned off. I don't think of them as damaged, but since they all have permanent marks I'd have to mark them as damaged/modded when I sell them. I like to play with my dolls too so they can get kinda dirty sometimes, but I clean them up fairly often.

My MSD is almost 6, my DOT is almost 2, AR Diana has been with me for just over a year, but he's second hand and I believe they said he was 3 years old?, MNF Shiwoo head is about a year old, DZ body a bit older, cause it was second hand, and Nabi Kiss I believe is a year, second hand also.

4. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      over 7 years

Yes if well cared for AND if the same doll is no longer available in mint condition on the site.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll? If so, what do you plan to do with it?
      No, I have only been in the BJD Hobby since 2007

-ShuShu- 2 years
      -Shinydoll Akali - Less than one year
      -Volks Kaelin - 4 months :)
      -I am about to buy a Volks Masha so she will be my first second hand doll but she is not very old.

*side note
      I would like to add that as a newer person to this hobby I don't feel much draw to paying higher prices for older dolls. Sometimes not even the original price because the doll is already showing signs of age. The reason is that I can see no justification to pay so much when I can just wait for a LE or any doll for that matter to come out that I like! I have broad taste when it comes to beauty in a doll and many companies make dolls that I would love to own. Most of the older dolls I have shrugged of to "oh well, XYZ company will make something in the future that I will want." I have been looking for Volks Spring Stroll Liz for a bit but I gave up because I am not satisfied with the money I would be expected to lay down for just the head. It's simply not worth it to me when I know Volks (or another company) will make something lovely in the future. Also, I know that some of the newer dolls have better engineering because the companies are always improving their molds. I want the better made body everytime ;)

I wonder if anyone else shares this view? It is the first time I have put it into words really. I am ok with loving the older dolls through owner picts and waiting for my chance to get something new and lovely later down the road for myself. If others feel like me I don't know how that effects re sell on dolls in the future. I think that having so much to chose from could really effect the market value of a doll in the long run.

5. Here is my friend's answers. My friend is handicap. So she can't go here. :)

Maria:
      What do you consider an old doll?
      I consider a doll to be old if it's around for a decade already. The reason we think that our bjds will only last for only a few years is because we play with them too much that's why they look old already.

Yes. Manufactured or not... they still hold their value. Specially if the doll has a story behind it. It depends but for me all dolls have their value still. And can still be sold higher or lower. It depends.

Yes my first doll. I got her second hand. She's not aged I guess. She's only been around for three years. Yellowed yes, she has and it's growing gradually. Very gradual.

The first one is 3yrs old and the second doll is a year and a half. I plan to keep them forever. FOREVER AND EVAH!

6. Please feel free to come forward with your opinions. Here are some questions:

What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

I collect vintage dolls. Our oldest is 50 years old. Some have been in our family for 50 years (my mom is their first and only owner) while others were added as recently as last month. Our vintage dolls were made in England, USA and Japan. Most of their makers (doll companies) have ceased business.

ABJDs are not old. I've been collecting ABJDs for only 1.5 years. They are modern dolls. Shock me to read that some people refer to their Custom House dolls as "vintage" in another hobby group (not in this forum).

Yes, most of our dolls hold their value if you are referring to the vintage dolls.

I'm not sure about ABJDs. These dolls are too new, the oldest I believe is 10 years old. You need to wait another 10+ years to see a trend. Short term fluctuations are normal but over 20 years, the price trend becomes clearer. Some dolls lose value over 20 years.

If you are referring to ABJDs, Nope. Both my Volks boys are near mint although I did not buy them directly from Volks. I am super fusy with modern dolls. I only buy full set dolls with box, cloths, wig, shoes and original faceup by the company.

My vintage dolls are old and many are damaged in some way due to age. My mom and I care a lot for them. They've come a very very long way. :smallcake

My oldest ABJD is 5 years old. Isao Nanjou Ver1 full set. I'm his third owner. He's young and retired :sweat I am trying to preserve him and all his accessories so that when I old and retired I can still enjoy him.

My mom and I have never sold a doll. Dolls in our family are either kept, given away or thrown away when broken beyond repair. I will sell when I'm terminally ill. Even so, some dolls will be handed over to family members.

I think you should not worry about the value of your ABJDs. Just enjoy them!!! A suitable doll becomes a friend forever. :D

7. Do you own an aged or damaged doll? If so, what do you plan to do with it? How old are your dolls and how long do you plan to keep them?

my boy is almost 2 years old and I don't think he's aged yet, honestly and I plan to keep my boy and girl till forever. i think of them as my kids and selling them would be like selling my own children.

sorry if I sound extreme ^_^|||

8. This is an interesting topic :sweat

What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      In terms of actual age, there aren't any BJD older than about 11, so I wouldn't want to describe the object itself as being old. I mean, that would make me old ^^ However, I agree with points such as there are older styles (like the B-line MNF bodies) and sculpts that, due to their comparative age (they've been around most of the time this hobby has, perhaps), are harder to acquire and pay for than others. However, I think 'old' might in many cases mean desirable - sometimes it's an older body needed to fit a coveted head, or a 'holy grail doll' you've hunted down for years.

I'd really say this depends - some sculpts seem to soar in popularity, and sell quickly at good prices (for the seller) in the marketplace. I'd say an example is the Migidoll sculpts like Ryu and Miho, which have recently been very popular (totally deserved <3). If you bought a sculpt you loved that was liked by very few other people, you might never get back the money you paid for it, because there's such a small audience interested in it. However, I'd say sculpts that are popular, especially if they're popular because they *are* beauifully made and of a high quality, the'd certainly hold their value. (Of course, that doesn't take into account wear and tear, but I'd imagine a slightly damaged limited head will still sell for far more than an undamaged non-limited one).

As I mentioned above, sculpts that few people seem to like are obviously harder to get a return on if you try to sell them; I think if I tried to sell my Angel Fantasy boy, I wouldn't get back very much money for him. He also has a slight chip in one ear which I wouldn't use to write him off as 'damaged', but obviously would have to be mentioned in a sale. Luckily, I'm not intending to sell him, so I needn't worry about him not being valuable to sell. (On the other hand, were the physical doll stolen, he'd still be hard to replace >.>)

My oldest doll is nearly two years old and the youngest one and a half years old. I guess I'll keep them forever, unless I decide I'm suitably disinterested in the hobby never to want them again or to prefer to try and exchange them for money (who knows; perhaps in twenty years BJD from now wil be coveted as rare dolls ^^).

9. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

Well if you are considering modern Asian BJDs only, then a doll over eight years old is 'old', if you're considering all BJDs across history then Victorian BJDs are old and Roman BJDs are ancient :) My Dollfie Dream is less than a year old whereas my YoSD is 4 years old, making my Yo older than my DD.

I think they do if you look after them, and then there are different standards for standard edition dolls and limiteds. A well-cared for, very sought-after limited edition doll can fetch sky-rocket prices, whereas a well-cared for standard edition doll that is still in production can only really command prices equal to the company's pricing and still be desirable to buyers. If your doll is a standard edition that has been discontinued, the values fluctuate between how sought-after the doll is now it has been discontinued and whether it was unpopular when it was being originally manufactured.

My SDC Kurenai is a little yellowed, but I don't care so much because I plan to keep her. I have washed her in a mild bicarbonate of soda solution which brightened her colour a little, but it doesn't bother me unless she turns banana yellow one day!

My SDC Kurt is three years old, (from production in 2006 to the present day), my SDC Kurenai is four years old, my YoSD Yuh is four years old & my Dollfie Dream is less than a year old because I put her together as a custom job. My Soulkids, I have no idea how old they really are, but I suspect they're from the 2007 batch before they were discontinued because their resin matched my 2007 Souldoll Hye.

I plan to keep them for a very long time, I don't buy big purchases like this to flip them around and when I have sold dolls it's because I've not bonded with them as well as I've liked or they don't fit into my 'all Volks' vision for my collection. I would expect to recieve the same price as I paid for almost all my dolls; my Dollfie Dream I would expect perhaps a bit more because she was a kit and I finished her off, and my SDC Kurt could command a high resale price because he was limited edition and not very popular on his first release, but because my SDC Kurenai has yellowed, I don't think I could get as much for her as I paid, but this doesn't bother me.

10. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Anything over 20 years, then I'd use the 'old' sticker. But old doesn't mean useless :3

Depends how you care for them and the like. But the sentamental value for my dolls is through the roof, and that's what matters most.

I have a damaged head that I modded on my first doll. I bought her a new head (different company), so she's a hybrid now. But I plan on buying a completely new doll for her character, and the hybrid will now be a new character for me to develop. (I SHALL MOD NO MORE! XD)

My first doll was bought May of 2008.
      I plan on keeping them through the yellowing, the restrings and refaceups. I bought them for keeps! <3

11. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Not a BJD :lol: These dolls are young-uns in the world of doll collecting.

They will always be valuable to those who collect them, unfortunately yellowing is part of the nature of resin. It's a sensitive plastic that reacts to oxidization and sunlight and loses its pink pigmentation fairly quickly. How well preserved the doll stays is entirely up to the owner, but even looking at antique dolls worth just as much as BJD's... some of them definitely don't look new :)

I actually just recently sold the first doll I purchased. A NS MNF Shushu, she had some pretty severe yellowing, but a lot of elbow grease and a weekend of hard work helped get rid of most of it. I would have kept her, but my doll plans changed, and she no longer suited the character I bought her to represent. Her yellowing didn't bother me, but it was something repairable.

My dolls are of varying ages, I'm not sure if my Tan Lishe or my old style Dollshe Bernard is older. They are both still in wonderful condition, and although my Bernard had some yellowing when I received him, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I understand the chemical composition of resin makes it inevitable that the color will change over time. I personally plan on having these dolls for a very long time.

~Gio :aheartbea

12. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

An old doll to me is about 10 years old. Time goes so fast and life passes you by so quickly and you don't even realise, but by the time an item is about 10 years old, then its old.

For me personally they do. I've had my Volks MSD Midori for 5 years now and I love her now very much the way I did when I first got her. I've had my Volks DD Yashiro Kasumi for almost 4 years and again I still adore her. These dolls have significant sentimental value to me. There have been some dolls I brought and I just couldn't grow to love them they same way, so I sold them as they were lacking that sentimental value.

I own both aged and damaged dolls and I keep them. My Yashiro Kasumi and Midori are both yellowed, Midori's default face up is fading now and very patchy, dirty and in need of being re done. I also have damaged dolls, my MDD Mirai has no neck joint at all, I had to completly invent a new way to attach her head to her body, she also has a broken leg. Yashiro Kasumis body is split in certian places and Midori has a few deep scratches and her face up is in dire need of repair. Still I love these dolls and can't even imagine replacing them.

As I said I have a 4 year old and a 5 year old doll, as well as another 2 year old and a 1 year old. All the dolls I currently have, I completly adore and I can't see myself getting rid of them for a very long time. I'm the type of person to hold onto sentimental things, so even if I stop activly buying more dolls and clothes, I would keep the existing ones I know and love.

13. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      An old BJD is one made before 2004.

Only if their owner takes care of them well.

Yes, he's aged and I bought him damaged, the original owner took horrid care of him, and despite several owners having him before and trying to clean him up, no one really could. All I could do is get him a dark red hued face up to offset the yellowness. I think he's beautiful now, and I plan on keeping him as long as I keep my dolls in general.

My F-15 was made in October 2005 as my FCS but probably cast earlier in the year. My old F-27's head and his body were made some time in 2003 or 2004 I believe. I have no clue how old my Kill_u SP's head or body are but they're definitely newer than 2004.

14. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      I'd say I'd probably consider a doll old if it was over 7 years old.

Monetarily, I think they lose value just by getting older. Some dolls actually gain value as they get older if the sculpt is rare and sought after. But they don't have to lose sentimental value and I consider sentimental value much more important than monetary value.

My Tiffee is pretty old; I'm at least his fourth owner. Soulkid boys were discontinued some time ago, though I don't know how old. He's yellowing, but I still adore him. I plan to keep him forever.

All of my dolls are used; I am at least the second owner of every single one. Of course I say I plan to keep them forever, but I've already sold four dolls and I had each of them less than six months. It seems my tastes change rather quickly, so I can't say with any certainty how long they will be around. I can say with a fair amount of confidence that my Soulkid Tiffee will always be with me though; he is very special to me.

15. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      IMHO I dont think any BJD can be "old". the Word may be used in the context of the "type" of doll, body, mold when a newer one has been release to replace it For example the Old type one luts bodies. But other then that I dont think its a word that has its place in our hobby as of yet. I have clothing that is older then our well loved hobby.

This is hit or miss. Some "hold" their value while others decrease and others gain in value. More then anything its demand that dictates the value of our dolls. Limiteds, rare and hard to find dolls all play factors.

I have some "aged" dolls such as my Beryl from Soom. But I would not consider it damage its what happens with Soom resin. It all changes color, shes a nice even tone and has mellowed very nicely. Other then my Sooms no. I don't think my dolls have aged.

Here is a list of my current dolls. I have others that I have sold over time or traded. almost all on this list will be staying for the long haul ..
      Beryl - Soom - 2008
      Topaz - Soom - 2008
      Cuprit - Soom - 2009
      Chrom - Soom - 2009
      Glot - Soom - 2009 (arriving soon)
      Kalix - Dream of Doll - 2008
      Delphine - Dream of Doll - 2008
      Vampire Red - Elfdoll - 2009 (in the mail to me now)
      Asiter - Souldoll - 2002 / 2003?
      Elf EL - Cerberus Project / Luts - 2008
      Redemption Moon - Cerberus Project / Luts - 2009
      Cyber Bohemian Shiwoo - Cerberus Project/Luts - 2009
      Feeple Breakaway Midnight Blue- FairyLand / Cerberus Project - 2009

16. I agree with the general consesus that this hobby really hasn't been around long enough for their to be any 'olde' dolls, yet. Although I've had my DD almost 5 years, now I start thinking of the age of other dolls in comparison to her. I guess she's the 'senior', lol. I don't know if the fact that she's a first version affects any so-called 'value' she has and I really don't care. My Sist is only a few months olde and probably worth much more than my DD, but I don't ever plan on selling either.

Hell, they could be the only 2 BJDs I ever get....okay, probably not...but they're MINE and anyone who wants them can pry them from my cold dead fingers when I die!

:)

17. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      I can't say any BJDs are 'old'.

I think they hold a good portion of their value. There are of course factors to this, but in general, BJDs hold more of their original value than many other items that I collect.

In the ways of this hobby.. yes I guess I do own an 'aged' doll. Hikaru is an Volks Enn 2nd edition and has the old MSD body.

I'll have had him for 4 years on 12/28... However, it really doesn't seem that he's been with me that long, so I don't consider him to be old. I intend to keep him, but I suspect that if I thought someone else might love him more, I'd be willing to give him up.

Hikaru - almost 4 years
      Uruko - 1 month!

I intend to keep them both forever, but... I am realistic about such things...

18. Agree with you except I think a doll over 1 year old is old to me.:sweat

ETA: the oldest from my collection is from 2003, and as of now (2012) I consider dolls made prior 2009 old.

19. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      If by that you mean the dolls age that i have given her (even though she is not here yet) I do not really have any "old dolls". But if you mean yearly i would consider a doll that is about 2 to 3 years "well loved" and at this point i usually can't separate myself from them lol. (we never us the term "old" lol)

I think this could be different in everyones eye bc to me a doll (if it stays intact and is not cheaply made or doesn't live up to what i wanted it to be) holds their value forever, but i don't know if they hold their price value as well as they hold personal value to me.

I do not own a bjd yet i am still in the process of obtaining willow (her possible name). However i never plan on getting rid of her bc i am already attached to the idea of her being around lol. If she ever gets damaged i do believe i will just face my fears and replace the damaged areas.

Willow (a dot shall) has not arrived yet so she is not a day old.
      I have been known to keep dolls i have had since i was 2 and bc i am still fairly young i plan to hang on to my bjd girl for as long as possible then if the dreaded day ever comes i will pack her away in a nice and safe air tight container and keep her until the day i either have kids or find a good time to bring her out again.

20. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      I agree with others that age is relative. In the big scheme of things, none of them are old.

My opinion on this is that if you are buying these dolls to be an investment, don't do it. You should be buying dolls/accessories/etc. because you love the hobby, enjoy doing whatever you do with them, and want them... Not because you are planning on selling them in the future to get back your "investment" or make money on them. As to whether my dolls are holding their value - I would say "Yes" without question. The monetary value may have changed, but the value to me, personally, has stayed the same or may have even increased as I have done new face-ups, etc. to make the doll what I want him/her to be.

My "oldest" doll I got in 2001. I do not consider her old, I consider her my first. I have no intention of getting rid of her or any of my other dolls. Ever.