1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do they really hold their worth? How "old" are YOUR dolls?

Sep 15, 2009

1. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      I wouldn't consider anything three or four years old to be an old doll. I'd say if you owned a doll past the 10 year mark, it would be an older doll (not antique status or anything of course!)

Do you think the dolls hold there value?
      I really hope so! I am kind of in the same boat as you, I think they should hold their value for the amount we spend, but I am not really sure yet, as I myself still have a lot to learn about these dolls.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll? If so, what do you plan to do with it?
      Nope, not yet. I am fairly new to the world of BJDs, I only bought my first doll a little over a year ago. However, I think if my doll were to become damaged I would try to get her fixed in any way possible, and replace parts if need be. Having an "aged" doll wouldnt bother me at all, it adds personality and sentimental history :)

How old are your dolls and how long do you plan to keep them?
      Like I said, I got my first doll about 14 months ago, but I plan on keeping her and all of my other dolls forever (unless I were to end up with one I couldnt bond with, but thats another story :)) I have this funny vision of still having these dolls when I am an old woman, and they will look just as old and worn as me... they are my treasures now and I want them to remain my treasures then.

2. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

Old for me is before 2002-2003. The dolls are very different from how they were back then.

Do you think the dolls hold their value?

Some do, but the vast majority don't. While the dolls are expensive they are toys and unless they are display only, most of these dolls will not retain their value beyond what the base release price was. Like I know my YoSD Hinaichigo while I have her fullset, her face up has some marks, her default outfit could be in better condition, as her wig could be, and she was so common I don't expect her to maintain much of her value beyond perhaps $400 of the over $700 I paid for her second hand right away.

I have one doll from Sept 2003, my Volks Sweet Dream Myu. She has the oldskin body, is a bit yellow (when compared to my new skin volks dolls from earlier this year), has bad joints, has a couple dents, her hooks that hold her hands and feet to the elastic are very old (these aren't even s-hooks). I plan to keep her and love her all the same as the others. She was one of the first dolls I fell in love with and I intend to keep her no matter how others view her.

Oldest like I said is from Sept 2003, then my DZ Shoyo is from early 2007, and the rest are from 2008 or 2009. I plan to keep them for as long as I'm able to do so. I have a lot of little toys I've kept for years and I think I have a few stuffed animals for instance from 20 years ago. I maintain them very well in my eyes and play with them just enough in my eyes to keep them nice (IE they have their spot in my room where they are kept when not being played with).

3. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Any BJD pre-2000 -- Volks oldskins, mainly.

In general, no. It's unrealistic to believe that a standard doll paid for in 2005 will fetch the same price in 2009, given the fluctuations in market and currency. However, certain limited sculpts will always sell for higher prices based on their rarity. Supply and demand!

I do, actually! I own an oldskin Volks F-08 head that was made in 1999, based on the date etched in the headcap. I am completely unashamed to call her my favorite; she was my first, and she's still the best, in my eyes! XD She has yellowed in comparison to my newer Volks SD, and even in comparison with her old Customhouse Ai body (circa 2005); but it's really not noticeable or distracting, especially given her face-up and clothing. A good cleaning could do wonders, but I don't want to wipe her face just yet!

Lamia: Volks old F-08, purchased secondhand 2005
      Schutzen: Volks School A, purchased secondhand 2008
      Valente: K-doll Kill_u 1st, purchased late 2008
      Reina: Infiniti Doll Cori, purchased late 2009 (due to arrive any day!)

I have never sold a BJD, and I don't plan to unless circumstances drastically change. It takes me a long time to decide on a new addition, and as a result, I cherish them so much. <3

4. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      I don't think bjd dolls have been around long enough to be considered 'old'.

it depends on the rarity and condition of a particular doll. Basic supply and demand.

if damaged includes 'yellowing' dolls then yes I do. My dolls are mostly models for my sewing so I'm not too fussed about the yellowing.

most of my dolls are from 2005 forward. I've been doll collecting for a while now and my bjds are part of a larger collection. I guess I'll keep them until I either give up collecting or if I desperately needed cash.

5. 2003 may not be ancient to a Barbie, but it is positively Elder Statesman for a BJD. "Old" is a purely relative term, so don't try to judge BJDs against the age of other collectibles.

Very true - but after another 10 years, you'll cross a generation gap & the value will shoot right up again. It's the same as with any other fashion or fad. Like the 1980s clothes & hairdos that all the kids are wearing now - in the 90s, you'd have been laughed off the streets for wearing what you've got on right now. Just bide your time, and everything will get popular again someday.

My eldest doll is a 2003 model (SD13 Shiro Tachibana) that I bought in 2005; and my newest (DDA Lotus Near) is still being cast. My Shiro has been repainted but he's otherwise in fine shape, if he needed to be sold (gawd forbid). The majority of my collection are limiteds... and most of those that were sold in fullsets, still have all their original fullset gear... so most of those guys have a decent chance of holding good value later (whether or not they ever yellow or get scratched).

I don't intend to sell my dolls, at all but all intentions are as frangible over time as an untreated wooden building; in any event, I wouldn't sell them until their value goes back up again. I spent too much on them (and adore them too much) to just jettison them in haste.

6. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

I'm going with the person above me, bjds haven't been around long enough to be "old"

It's like ANY collectable, the doll is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

I have a Lati red from 2006, that's as old as I go at the moment. He will be played with and loved the same as the others. in fact, he was face down in the snow this morning for a photostory.

I broke a finger on another one, but I'm not sure that counts as damaged. The finger was glued back and he is doing fine now

All have been purchased within the last year, I shall keep them til I die or lose interest, whichever comes first.

7. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Well, all my dolls are 2 years and under, so I can't say I have an "old" doll. Still, my best friend has a doll that's around 4 years and she's as lovely as any of the others I see and my friend loves her just as much as her other dolls. I don't think a doll ever becomes "old" just becomes "classic." :)

I think they hold their value. As long as you do preventative maintenance on your dolls (don't abuse them) they will stay nice and considering the money you sink into them...that's important.

I don't own a damaged doll, as far as BJDs go. Though, I do own other types of dolls that have been damaged. I would do with a BJD what I did with those other style dolls: I would repair it the best I can and accept it's flaw.

My BBB Weylin is nearly 2, My BBB Charisma is about 1.5, my BBB Ariel is about 0.75, my RS Jun is about 0.5, and my Luts Wintery is second-hand so he's at least 1.5-2 years old. I plan to keep them for the rest of my life. :)

8. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Dolls that are made of porcelain and chipped in the face.. and wearing pretty ruffled dresses of course!

Sentimentally, yes.

I did sand open my LE girl's eyes, and ruined her sadly. I tried to put eyelid grooves in, and though they looked good, the eyes were too wide to make it look natural, or good..
      I messaged Dollmore about it, and they offered to sell me a replacement head, even though it's an LE doll <333 (she's just been shipped!)
      I learnt my lesson, never mod a doll if you don't know what you're doing ;_;

My first doll was bought May 2008, so she's not that old... xD
      ..and I have no plans to sell them ^-^

9. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      As many have said, age is relative to the sort of doll you're discussing. In the context of BJDs, I'd say an original Volks, Hypermaniac, or Rasendou release would be old.

They, like anything, are worth what their market says they are and also what someone is willing to pay for them. At this point, many dolls are being sold for a good deal less than they were at one point being sold for.

I have a discontinued serendipity body with broken hands (finger damage to both each hand). My mini was damaged in travel. Other than that and a few scuffs, it's in wonderful condition and I don't intend to sell it.

I have owned my mini for two or three years. I know the doll was 2+ish years old when I received her, but I'm not sure as I am (I believe) her third home. I'm not sure. My large girl is one or two years old, but as she was seldom touched and (maybe? I don't recall) mostly boxed, came to me in flawless condition. She even had the new resin stink when I unwrapped her! I don't plan to sell my beautiful dolls. If I get to a point where I am not as interested in interacting with them physically, I can always display them like the huggable, posable eye candy that they are.

10. An old doll?
      Seeing as how these dolls have only been available for a little over a decade, I have a difficult time considering any of them "old." My 1850's papier-maches are old.

Do they hold their value?
      Not anymore except for a few limiteds or one-offs & even those have a very limited buyers market because of the price. But I didn't enter this hobby expecting to make money or simply break even on these dolls. I've been involved with dolls in general & even some other modern collectibles for well over 20 years & the market flucuates widely simply based on supply & demand. What's hot one day is soon yesterday's news & values drop accordingly.

Do you own an aged or damaged doll? What do you plan to do with it?
      I have a fabulous older Choa with an Evenstar face-up & I intend to enjoy her until she falls apart. Yellow resin is no problem to me. I also have a pair of earlier 60cm Narin & Narae. Narin was pinky white & rather than yellowing he simply lost his translucenty & is a pale white with cream undertones rather than pink. The tan Narae has barely changed at all. I adore those sculpts & they were among the first dolls I bought so again, I simply plan to play with them & enjoy them.

How old are your dolls & how long do you plan to keep them?
      Some of my dolls are at least 6 years old if not older, others I just got this month. How long I keep them is determined by my continued reaction to each doll. As long as the doll makes my heart go pitty-pat, they stay. Some will probably stay forever, others have been gone within a month of their arrival.

11. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

I guess that in the literal meaning of the word, I'd consider 'old' something that was made before I was born or a doll made when my grandparents were young. Like those classic and historical porcelain dolls from the 1800 and such. However, as everyone said, BJDs are a rather new type of doll, and so I would say that an old BJD is one over 5 years or so, or the first Volks moulds that were released. Not that I consider 'old' something pejorative; I plan to keep my first boy forever, if possible, and he will always be the most special for me because he was the first and the one I've spent more time with. But it's hardly time enough to call him 'old' comparing with the first european dolls around there.

I really think that's relative. It depends on how you treat the doll, of it being limited or not, etc. A Limited doll, if treat well and in is in great condition, can hold a much higher value than the one initially paid for it. A standard doll, on the other hand, can lose the monetary value much easily. Even if the doll is in mint condition, it will hardly be sold by the same price from the store. Monetary value usually depends on the market's supply and demand.
      But if you talk about emotional value, it depends on the doll owner. For me, my Lahoo is one of the most important things I have and I wouldn't trade him for any other (he's the Limited FS, but I'm considering just as if he was a standard one). And I also work to keep him in the best condition I can - he will soon complete 3 years with me, and I have just sanded him entirely, cleaned and gave him a new face-up. And he's gradually growing on me.

Both my Lahoo and my Elf Ducan were second hand dolls, so I consider them the 'oldest' around here. After they completed 2 and a half years with me, I've sanded them completely and re-face-upped them. I like to keep all my dolls in good shape. I do not own a damaged doll, but if I did, I would do all I could to repair it the best I could. I bond with dolls very easily, so it's really hard for me to let any of them go without trying to do anything. I'd probably only sell it if I was sure there was nothing I could do do bond or repair...

My oldest boy is with me since July 2007, but since he's a second hand FS Lahoo, I imagine he's been sculpted around 2005/2006. If possible, I really plan on keeping them forever - or for as long as I can. If by any reason I needed to sell them, I'd look for the best loving house I could give them...T0T

12. It's all about business. Supply and demand. Any item it not worth anything if no one buys it in the market.

Also, what do you mean by value? I take it that you mean value as in money worthiness?

13. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      In terms of all dolls, no BJDs are "old." Specific to BJDs, I tend to consider early BJDs (From when the companies were just starting out and you tend to see some of the less detailed face-ups and such) relatively old. And as I considered this question, I realized that I subconsciously categorize dolls from before I entered the hobby (late 2007) to be older, but certainly not old.

It really depends. If the doll's in good condition and there's still some demand for it, sure. If the doll is popular and production has ceased or was a limited, then the value often increases. A damaged doll could even hold it's value if the damage isn't too extreme and it's a very popular sculpt that was made in limited numbers. However, a damaged doll that's rather common or where the demand is low, or even a well-cared for doll that's just not popular could see the value decrease.

N/A

My first doll is a year and a half old now, and my newest is just a few days old, with the rest falling somewhere in that spectrum. I plan on keeping them forever if all goes well and I don't ever have some dire need for money where I need to sell them off to feed myself :)

14. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      Probably a doll that is over 5-6 years.

Do you think the dolls hold there value?
      Yes. If you keep it in good condition, out of the sun, take it out once in a while to check up on him or her. Don't mod it too much.

I already paid for a Picadilly Circus Volks Lucas, all his stock is in perfect condition and he has the first manufactured Zoukeimura eyes. I am sure he will be worth a lot more in the future.

Volks Lucas Picadilly Circus is 8 years old, my Dollga Noella is 2 years old and so is my Leekeworld Koji.

15. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

10 years or older.

Money wise, If you keep in the box and don't touch it sure. Unless you bought a limited doll I think the monetary value decreases as it would with any used doll.

no... If i ever got a damaged doll I would either if it had arrived that way ask the company for a replacement or it it was from wear either replace a part or find someone who could fix it.

Extremely new, and in all seriousness unless I decide to stop playing, for lack of a better word, with my bjds, I plan to have them for a lifetime. Which I will assume they will last because a doll breaking in 3 years is outrageous.

16. "Self worth is only this - thinking yourself worthy". Wayne Dyer wasn't talking about bjd's, of course, but what are they really worth, other than the emotional value we place on them? Of course, a clever (and lucky) business person can flip them, by observing the market and buying and selling (specially limited dolls) as demand peaks. A good crook can make a bundle too, particularly if they exploit how much these dolls can be loved and cherished. But are they actually worth anything much at all? They represent craftsmanship and creativity. They are only made of an expensive sort of plastic. If the (relatively short-lived) market for them crumbles, because something new comes out of Asia to replace it, they will lose much of their monetary value, and the market will be glutted with resales as it was when people suddenly realised that no Beanie Baby should cost $200. I suggest that, without the worth you place them, they are, at best, a poor investment choice (go with gold, it's more stable and will be around longer). With you inside them, they’re priceless.

17. Shasta, That is the most amazing, impressive point of view I have ever heard.

18. Do we need to know how well resin holds up for dolls that would be considered "old"? Just look at how "BARBIE" aged. I mean the old ones from the 60's. If doll collectors can deal with her colour changes, then we BJD collectors can deal with our resin age changes too!

19. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?

Old is a pretty broad term--but I'd say maybe a doll that's at least twenty or so years old since it was made. Since BJDs haven't been on the market for long, for them I'd say when they hit ten, they're old.

In a monetary sense, nothing really keeps its original value unless A) Its in mint condition, B) If it has been open has only been handled once or twice or put on display, or C) Its type of doll is no longer made. As for its value for say yourself, whatever the doll's value to you is will always be how much its worth. You can have a yellowing doll you've had for a few years and also one you ordered a couple of weeks ago--you may love them the same, or you may love the older one more because of the memories you've made--or you may value the new one because it IS in fact new.

I only ordered my first BJD, but I did find a doll in a junk shop a few years back. She's very beautiful, made of porcelain... her hair was practically destroyed and scuffs on her face and stains on her dress... the owner sold her to me for six dollars, and I took her home and painstakingly buffed off the scuffs and restyled her hair as instructed in those doll-hospital books... she looks good as new. Since she doesn't seem to have a tag or brand or anything like that on her, she might be a custom doll someone finally got tired of, so selling her for the price she's worth would be a shot in the dark. If I knew the price, I'd probably sell her to someone who will love her, because she merely sits on top of my bookshelf looking lonely. Since I don't, I'm content in keeping her sitting there looking beautiful.

No dolls yet, but I'd been eying the same doll and unable to look at others for over a year. I'll most likely keep them indefinitely, even if I end up ceasing in playing with them and merely keep them on display. If it ever strikes me that they'd rather be somewhere else, then I'd sell them, but my brand of love would be setting them up nicely and perhaps reposing them every so often--but always on display. A photo shoot, of course, would be the one reason I'd take them outside, or even a doll meet-up.

20. What do you consider to be an "old" doll?
      In the context of BJDs, I would consider dolls made before 2000 'older', but not really 'old'. In the context of doll world in general, anything that could be classified as an antique (over 100 years old), I'd consider pretty old.

Some do, some don't. It's really a gamble as to which sculpt will prove popular on the secondary market and which won't. Collectors are very fickle and tastes change at the drop of a hat (remember beanie babies?), so modern dolls, in general, are a very risky investment. The good news is that, so far, these dolls don't loose too much value, which means that you'll be able to get at least some of your money back should you decide that the doll is no longer for you. In contrast, many fashion dolls that were popular in early 2000s have an extremely poor resale value right now. The same could happen to BJDs in a few years, there's really no way of telling.

I don't own any damaged dolls. Even though I handle my dolls often and take them outside for photo shoots, I've been fortunate in that none of them have had any damage. Even my beloved travel doll doesn't have a scratch on her (I bought her from the company in 2004). I do own 'aged' dolls, which I'll list in response to the next question.

I have 9 dolls from 2003-2004 period:
      -Custom House Choa
      -Delfs Lishe, El, Angel Elf Soo and Dark Elf Soo
      -Custom House Gabriel
      -Angel Region LE Dana and Basic Dana
      -Bluefairy Pocket Fairy Yoko (my travel doll)

I most certainly plan on keeping these dolls. I already sold the ones that I wasn't too attached to. The above stay with me.

The rest of my collection has been acquired in 2011 and onward. If I had to sell some of my dolls in an event of an emergency, the newer once will go first. To me, my 2003-2004 crew is irreplaceable.