1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you agree with Gentaro Araki?

Jul 24, 2007

1. "Dolls are like a lost part of yourself."
      i feel this is true for me in any case. i can place into any object i feel comfortable talking to a part of myself, and talk to that part... be it the afraid part, or the lonely part, or the part that starts to want to go away forever... and i can make it better on my own.

"Dolls help the owner recreate their existence."
      This is also true for me (though i do not own a doll as of yet) - as i have experienced this behavior for other objects.

"People like dolls because they are lonely."
      perhaps when two lonely things come together, they are less so.

(Referring to himself) "I don't think anyone should give credit to someone who shuts himself up...making half or totally naked erotic dolls."
      i'm not sure i can comment on this one... ?

But what I'm asking is: Do you necessarily agree with Gentaro Araki?
      on most items, yes - at least, for myself in my experience.

Has it ever crossed your mind that dolls could be more than a hobby, but a lifestyle?
      certainly. perhaps some day after much study, i will make those dolls for the people that need them. then it will be a lifestyle.

How do you interpret dolls and the role they play in your life?
      i do not own one yet, but i did make one, and talked life into him. he's gone forever now. the doll i'll receive will play a particular role, i think, in my life. i feel the need to nurture, but it is not always well received. children grow, and adults are already grown. a doll, while it may change in one way or another... will always need me.

Are they there for fun, or do you bring them to a personal level in your life?
      i suppose i answered that already. : P

2. Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I just skimmed through the thread as I'm rushing out of the house in a couple of minutes.

Araki-sensei is now married, according to a DOA member (sorry can't remember who) in the Unoa Zero thread ;) So don't feel too sorry for the 'lonely man'.

3. A funny thing is that the subtitle in the video said "People are lonely..." but what he said was "The Japanese are lonely...".

I think it's true for some people.

I can definetly relate to the whole "a doll lets you re-create youself"-thing. I have a hard time making friends with girls, all my dolls are girls.

It might not just be a hobby for some people, like said, a lifestyle. You wouldn't believe some of the people I've seen while waiting at doll events here in Japan. Like... Talking out loud to themself and twitching...
      But then again, anything gets taken to the extreme, especially in Japan.

4. I see this was pointed out above me, but one thing I also noticed when watching the video is that it was translated as "people like these dolls because they are lonely" when he is speaking from a Japanese perspective and used "nihonjin" (Japanese people). Many people in Japan have trouble connecting with others. There have been many studies about the companionship that cell phones and tamagochis provide to the Japanese. I see a lot of the same reliance on bjd's for companionship here, but i thought it was particularly interesting what the statement said about social interaction in Japan. I think his statements are more accurate for doll collectors in Japan than they are for other cultures.

5. How true. And about being an artist too. Well put Gentaro.

I like what he had to say about exploring what parts of beauty boil down to a recognizable symbol that is somewhat universally understood.

I also like how right off the bat, he adressed the kawaii culture and distanced himself from that. Its somehow much more dignified to... make a distinction between women and their objectified representation as beauty objects, and separating the ideas and purposes of the female and the feminine in art. Its like, he explains that hes trying to sculpt the feeling, the nameless, grotesque echo of pretty... not a shape he believes looks better on a real woman.

thats something I think many have failed to articulate.

6. I've always loved dolls and toys, and a big part of that was because I was terribly lonely as a child. I lived outside of a very small town and i only have one older brother, so there was no one to really play with. I didn't really get along very well with the girls at school either so I made up my own elaborate stories and characters with my dolls, creating a perfect me and a perfect world for her to live in.

I still find that my dolls personalities are a bit mary sue-ish, especially Viola. But they're for my own enjoyment and entertainment. The dolls I make, on the other hand, are more artwork than anything. A lot of people don't like them but they're made to my aesthetic and not someone else's.

I do agree with him about the dolls often being loved because someone is lonely. Even though our world is so over crowded, we seldom meet people that we connect with completely... and even if we do we don't get to spend as much time with that person as much as we'd like. I just had to move across the country from two of my best friends and it's been very hard. The fact that i don't have to leave Ghaleon behind and that he's more than just a character in my head, I can hug him when I feel like things are out of my depth, is a great comfort to me.

Also, Henrietta, I love optimus prime too. XD;;; I've got like four of him now. u____u;;;

7. Dolls are a work of art, and aren't meant to replace human beings but...hey, some of us are lonely and can't get a date! Or, are smart and are waiting until we're 25 to date.
      I don't need a man in my life yet. They're too much work! D:
      A doll, however... I complain to my diary, which is an inanimate object, and my stuffed animals, so why can't I find some companionship in a piece of resin that I have so lovingly dressed and taken care of?
      I know a lot of people may give strange looks, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right? Isn't building miniature towns and trains similar?

8. i think hobbies are what you make them wether or not that hobby becomes an obbession totally depends on the person behind it.
      I think that all his statements can be true it just depends on the owner...and in his case I think they're all true, because even he himself said so.

but personally i dont think he was attacking hobbiests in general, as one of my friends thought he was and was taking the whole interview the wrong way. Because i do agree with Araki when he says its not good to be stuck in your house all day just reading comic books to go out and have fun with your life. Because honestly its better to be a hobbiest rather than an obbsessor

9. personally, I think dolls (in the hands of the collector) bring people TOGETHER

look at the boards, meets, conventions, etc...

however, he is speaking from an artist standpoint, not so much a collector, you know, very, very interesting

10. I honestly think its the proof that were all so different as human beings..some will take their dolls to a personal level some wont..to some its a hobby and to some its a lifestyle. I also think no one should be judged for whatever level theyre on with their dolls....its a fact that BJDs are by definintion are attracting creative, imaginative people and in general expressive people will be either side of any extreme.

On a personal level i adore my dolls..but thats all they are ..dolls, to be admired as a thing of beauty, they amaze me...the detail, theyre almost alive and i simply adore having them around.

11. About the being lonely I have to agree with him at some point. It's not that people in this hobby are more lonely than other people out there. But it ís true that the society as a whole is becoming more detached. Individualism has taken it's toll, with people living side by side and not knowing eachother just because we are too busy with work and all the thing we háve to do to be good enough.
      I think the reason we like dolls is the same as why we like pets. There are more pets today then there were a century ago. Because people want something to stroke, to cuddle, to love and apparently they cannot find it enough in todays life. So we take dolls and pets as a substitute.

Perhaps my vision of life is somewhat grimm, but I think (hey it's mý vision) there's some truth in it.

12. Well...personally...I felt compassion for Araki while watching this video.

I agree with just about everything he said, but the deeper message that I got out of watching the video was that he's aware he is missing much out of life because he is so commited to what he is doing. I think he is so dedicated to his work that it consumes most of his time and when you do that human relationships suffer.

This is what happens to a lot of very successful people. You cannot be highly successful at something unless you commit yourself totally. But at the same time this is a sad trade off to make because later in life you'll have regrets.

Watching this video has given me a deeper respect for Araki and all commited doll artists and has also given me another reason to cherish my Unoas girls even more.

13. I agree with much that has been said by others.

I like dolls because they help me to channel and express a part of my creativity, so in a way, it is a part of me, in that all other art forms I take part in are. It's something about me that I need to express.

I'm not really lonely though XD. I really like going out and having fun and meeting people too, and although I seldom participate, I love forums for that sense of community and getting to know others who share my interest.
      If I'm expressing myself, thats healthy.

14. I think Araki hit the nail on the head.

I am not lonely now and haven't been for the last few years. My life has been full of people and extremely fulfilling in that way. However, I grew up as a very lonely child and part of my personality often wishes to withdraw into this loneliness.. to be with something that doesn't talk or judge... something that can't manipulate my emotions like real people do.

I get tired of people. I love being surrounded by people and having an active and friendly life.. but sometimes, people dissapoint me. The part of me that loves my doll is the same part that was that solitary child and needs solitude. My choice of a doll, the melachonly Lilis Liv, reflects upon my inner self as I knew myself for many years and how I still remain at heart and during my worst moments. I find that having a doll that reflects that part of me prevents me from falling into the trap of becoming like that again.

I believe that many of us feel like Araki does about our dolls.

15. I know people can take anything - dolls, internet, relationships - to an obsessive level. It's not just dolls. But in general, people should take their lives into moderation. That's my thoughts on the whole shut-in topic as well as "lost part of their souls" bit. It's a bit of a "paint everyone emo" statement.

I agree with loz64, I view my dolls as works of art, something for me to keep as a hobby. I also love my dolls in that they are extensions of my comic book characters. I would not like to stick a piece of my soul in them, that's a bit creepy, but perhaps my dolls are a remnant of my "must play with toys" mentality from childhood.

As for sexual deviants, well... :/ That's their gig, not necessarily everyone's standards.

Although, when I got my first doll, my mom took one look at him and said "You'll never get a boyfriend." XD One year later, I'm engaged. HAH! You know what they say about assumptions :)

16. It's obviously different for every person. I can see where people who are lonely can find solace in their dolls. For me, I suppose it's the same as when I was little. I like to dress things, and I like to fix hair, lol. I love making beautiful ornate clothing. I can't make it for myself because honestly, where am *I* going to wear a medieval gown and one of those pointy hats, or a long leather trench coat and a cat suit? I'm not. It isn't practical. so instead, I can make beautiful things like that for a doll, and enjoy the fun of sewing it AND seeing how it looks worn. So for me, it's all about a creative outlet.
      I think with ANY hobby, every person in it has a different reason for doing it, and that's part of what makes it interesting: to discover and maybe even enjoy someone else's motivation as well.

17. I find some truth in what he said.....
      I'v never been one to go make a bunch of friends so the ones I have I care for and do see them often. that said I'm not anti-social. however, I find BJDs are like a special friend, they will listen, keep your secrets, and being with them alwase makes you feel bettre, wether its just their smiling face looking down at you or sitting in solitude together ^.^

I dont think i try to recreate myself into my BJDs but like anyone you live with, you leave a part of yourself with them. affecting them in some way or another^.^

as for a lost part of myself...humm well this could be combind with "recreating yourself" but I tihnk everyone dose it a bit, like the clothing they would like to waer but cant due to work, school, family,exct. or like me dressing them similer to what you wear ^.^

then...loanly...well what exacly is loanly? you can be surrounded by ppl and be laonly. or even be quit populer, having lots of friends and still feel loanly. I think this some what dose aply to me. Im not wanting humen interaction, actualy less of it lol *that sounds so odd ^.^;;* so for me I'm able to be alone withought being alone. sorry if tht sounds odd as well ^.^;;;

all in all I think my BJDs are just my realy good friends who make me happy and provide some sereniy in the chaos that is my life.

-Kira

18. Sure, dolls could be a lifestyle, and a nice one too. But I am not talking about "erotic" dolls though.

It took me 50 years to finally get my family to understand that I couldn't live on this planet without creating art. It is something I was born with & I can't separate from my own being. I can easily see my self living with a family of individuals who are all involved with creating dolls (doll bodies, wigs, eyes, clothes, etc.) It gives me a feeling of comfort to surround myself with things I have created, created some part of. Please don't ask to see a photo of my bedroom.

19. Why is it that people who partake in misundertstood hobbies are labled as lonely?

Yea. Sure. People have dolls because they're lonely. Spare me.

You could alter that statement and replace "doll" with just about any trait/hobby/opinion that other people have a problem with and end up with a view point just as damaging, contrary and insulting.

"People who restore antique automobiles are lonely."
      "People who eat fast food are lonely."
      "People who pamper their pets are lonely."
      "People who work late hours are lonely."

It's all complete bullshit. Pardon my forwardness.

20. AHAHAHAHAA!<- *not trying to be rude, it made me giggel* Love your vew on it Alchemical! ^.^ Being forward is a good thing in my opinyon ^.^ and your right if somone dosnt understand somthing they will usualy label it *or the partakers* incorectly ^.^

-Kira