1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you change the look of your dolls?

Feb 11, 2016

1. I currently have one MSD girl, who I absolutely love to pieces. She's had her own character before the doll actually even arrived - and I know the kind of clothes she absolutely would NOT wear, if she could choose for herself. And, the wig I chose out for her is just perfect on her now. I could possibly imagine her wearing a similar wig of the same colour, but even something like a dyed streak in the hair would look "not Sidney", now.

For clothing, I keep seeing outfits around that I think are cute or cool, and that I'd love to dress a doll in and play with them, or take photos. But I know that if I were to put them on my girl, while she may look pretty, it just wouldn't feel right doing so. She has her own style.

I'm going to put a second MSD girl on layaway soon, and I'm wondering if maybe with her I'll allow myself to be more flexible with her look. I'm thinking maybe sticking to pastel colours, but being fluid within that - changing wig colour sometimes, maybe even eyes, and having a variety of outfits so long as the colours are pale and sweet.

Do you ever experience a problem like this? How did you solve it?

2. I change the looks of my dolls all the time! To be fair, though, I didn't make my dolls specific characters so I will have that flexibility. In my opinion it's all up to you what you want to do. :D Maybe she's cosplaying when she dresses differently. LOL

3. Don't let your toys bully you, OP You're the animate one. You get to call the shots.. :lol:

I do put my crew into things that I don't think of as "X's typical style" sometimes, just for fun. Sometimes that works out really well.... and sometimes they end up looking silly beyond all rationality... but you'll never know until you try.

4. My dolls all tend to have their own style, but some of them are more flexible than others. My first two boys (SD) have a range of hairstyles that fit them, while their fashion choices are a bit more consistent within their characters (but still pretty flexible). My MSD boy started out with a set hairstyle--blond... and then I realized that according to his backstory he really ought to have black hair and changed it. It didn't feel like him at all for a week or so, but now it's perfect and I love him even more. :) And my 3rd SD boy chose a different wig than I had in mind for him and refuses to change. :| So it depends on the character for me, I guess.

I hear you about cute outfits and stuff, though--I really want to try a fantasy look on someone at some point, but so far none of my dolls would tolerate that as anything more than cosplay. :pout:

5. I run into that with one of Kyle's three specifically. She doesn't like pants since I get them for my other girl they don't fit her well and she doesn't like them. Especially not the cargo pants. She likes skirts and dresses but recently I talked her into putting on a pair of leggings. She looked stunning in them. She still doesn't much care for them it's also not her style buuut she's open to shorts now and that excites me.
      I say just try things anyway. It may not be her style but perhaps it might grow on her and she will allow you things. Like how I'm still trying to get my girl to allow me to out her in pastels. But shorts is a start.

6. I find this topic really interesting. My daughter and I are getting into this hobby together, and her first doll of her own is on layaway. We've been shopping for clothes, and there have already been lots of times when I point out something cute and she says "Nah she wouldn't wear that". I guess Miss Ivy (Island Doll) already has her own sense of style. ;)

7. My dolls are shelling characters that are PEOPLE, you know. People normally have a closet full of different outfits and change their hair a lot (even if they don't color it, they grow it out, wear it in different styles, get bad hair cuts, etc). On top of THAT, my characters are cosplayers, who each have several costumes.
      My characters DO all have their separate styles, fav colors & outfits, personalities etc. But good grief how boring it would be if my dolls all sat around in the same wig & outfit all the time :(

8. None of my boys are flexible, they have their own style (which is bad for my wallet), they don't change hair or eyes either. I tried to change their looks before just for fun but it didn't last 5 minutes, I had to changed them back to their own selves because it felt so wrong. XD

However, my girls are more flexible but they also have their own style. One of my girls wears dresses/skirts only and pastel colors but she has no problem changing her hair. She has like 6 different wigs because she loves to switch a lot. The other one is more like a tomboy so she wears her brothers' clothes and shoes. I put her in a pink dress and high heels once but she looked at me like she wanted to murder me or something so I better not do that again :sweat

9. My dolls characters are the same in all aspects of the hobby, meaning the character depicted in a photo story would be the same in role play and I don't do out of character stuff with them at all unless it's modeling something I want to sell or taking reference photos for someone. Other than that, they stay the same and I won't put them in things that aren't their style. They each have a variety of clothing, but it always fits their personality. They may change wigs but it's because the character would cut or dye it. I wouldn't put a masculine doll in Lolita or my skater in fantasy fashions for example. Character is as important or maybe even more important to me than the doll, so regardless of how cute other clothing may be, I stick to the character. Actually, that's why I bought Jazmyn. So many cute girly Minifee outfits on etsy, no doll to wear them. She fixed that!

10. Well my first MSD girl was suppose to be tom-boy like but turns out she likes cute clothing. After a while I was okay with it, but luckily when I got my second MSD girl she suited that tom-boy look I wanted. So I think it is just a matter of whatever feels right on that doll go for it. I mean every now and then I put my tom-boy in really girly clothes just for laughs and photos.

11. My poor dollies have no character, they are simply mannequins to be styled and coiffed to suit my whims. And my whims are many and various.

12. My Abadon has a very distinct look, he is a vampire after all. So his style is manly but some what foppish when called for. But he has been known to lounge around shirtless with a pair of sweatpants and socks in his times. The others pretty much wear what I feel their mood is that day. Sometimes Lilith is in a modern outfit with a curly wig. And others she is wearing a gothic styled lolita outfit. Chuchi-rie just kinda goes for the dangerous but innocent looks. Xander has his company fullset only so far but working on finding some more outfits that inspire me for him.

13. i assumed before i got my first doll that my dolls would just be mannequins to style as i chose, and so was shocked to find out that it doesn't work that way. by the time i finish doing their face up and choosing eyes and a wig for them they seem to have a very distinct style and personality. putting them in the "wrong" clothes just doesn't look right to me and i can't get good photographs of them. i once had to bring home three different dolls the same size before any of them would wear frilly styles :lol: (the first was a tomboy, the second only wore cool urban chic styles) on the other hand now my collection is big enough that i have a model for any style i care to make ;)

14. I try not to change mine too much. I mean, I know I want multiple outfits but otherwise, nah. I do change Arwen's faceup quite a lot, she's had four in the two months I've had her!

15. I kind of resonate with what everyone else seems to be talking about.. I really want to dress my dolls in cute sort of new-age pastel clothing, but they only look right in older antique looking clothes :// I'm hoping one of the babies I have on layaway will be more suited to the style I want ahh

16. My dolls each have a very consistent and well-defined personal style that goes with the personality/character I've imagined for them, and I don't dress or style them out of that character. However, each one of my dolls has a LOT of clothing, and I change their outfits often. I don't change my dolls' wigs, though. I may style their wigs in different ways, but the wig itself doesn't change. Same for eyes... once I find the perfect pair for each doll, they stay permanent.

17. Sometimes certain dolls seem to 'speak' in a certain way and demand a specific look for themselves. Of course this is most likely an aspect of your own personality and what you are comfortable with, who knows. Perhaps if you truly want to alter what the doll (your subconscious) has gravitated towards in the style worn-- just do it. Step outside of the comfort zone set for the doll's style and just take the plunge to alter it-- tell yourself the doll is cosplaying a certain character-design. If you are not happy or comfortable with the changes you can always get another doll to fit the altered style-stuff or you can sell the altered style items.

Personally I don't mind playing with my doll's looks. Although I do sometimes have a firm idea of what I want a doll to portray I am flexible if I am unable to get an exact match to my inner feel for the doll's style. But I often color my own hair bright vibrant colors and so I am flexible with the idea of style changes on myself.

As an example, I had one doll I was so very set on a cropped boyish-style wig in black or very dark colors for. I was having difficulty finding a perfectly styled wig to purchase (really didn't want to make one either) and just did not seem to find the exact-perfect one. Then one day I came across the style I wanted but the wig itself was in bright candy colors. Now I could have the person selling the wig make a custom one like it in black (which I still may do) but I decided to play around with the idea of this doll having a candy hued wig on her head. I even put a cotton candy colored wig temporarily on her head to see how it 'felt' on her and it turns out I may end up buying the premade candy-colored wig for her rather than getting a custom one created in the black.

At least that is how it works for me :)

18. I'm with you--I can see my doll wearing an outfit and thinking how cool it would look, but if it doesn't fit, they won't wear it. I have a doll that almost seems like he speaks up when I'm like "but you'd look cool in this!" and I just get a sense of "nope, not happening"

19. I have a very bad habit of not changing the dolls at all once they're 'complete.' I feel awful about it!! They're characters meant to look a particular way, so once I find the perfect wig and eyes for them those are there to stay. But it's worse than that. Once they have the outfit and everything, the whole 'look' down, that's it. In particular, my Iplehouse Rexy is definitely the most beautiful doll I have and I haven't touched her in months. She's like a display piece. This is probably why I have 4x Bambicrony Emilys. I could cut my collection in half if I was willing to dress one doll up as different characters.

That being said, I purposely bought several different outfits for 2 of my dolls and change them every once in awhile. They're in their 'modern AU' outfits atm.

20. If I have an extra pair of eyes or a spare wig laying around I might try it on a doll and find I like it better than what they already have. Otherwise, they tend to stay the same once I feel like they are what I envisioned in my mind.