1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you collect stylized or realistic sculpts?

Dec 2, 2016

1. Most of my crew are definitely more stylized sculpts... There are a few members of the gang who are closer to the realistic side of things, but for the most part I'm all about the "old school" look.

As others have said up-thread, the most imporant thing for me when grouping dolls is that the scale and sculptural style of the individual match. That's the one and only unbreakable rule for my collection. Dolls that are meant to be displayed or photographed together have to go together. I would never pose Nemissay (my huge and very realistic Granado guy-) with Sophia (my very anime-esque SD13 Cyndy), for instance. The differences between them size- and style-wise would drive me bananas. 'Much better to keep him with my Iple EIDs and her with the other Volks bobbleheads.

2. I've only ever had interest in doll-like dolls, and never owned a bjd with more realistic features. Only until recently I started looking at bjds with more realistic looks, and appreciated(?) it.

That got me wondering, do you have a preference? What I mean is by doll-like are bjds with unrealistically big eyes, tiny nose, and defined lips (Fairyland would be a good well known example), and realistic as in a sculpt with human like proportions and features (example: Iplehouse?).

What kind of bjds do you tend to be more attracted to, and what kind do you own?
      I've only owned unrealistic ones, and tend to lean more towards doll-like sculpts, and mystical(?) dolls (example: some sculpts from dollzone)

EDIT: Also, do you prefer female or male dolls? I've only owned female, and never really had interests in male dolls.. both realistic and not.

#22 ana808ana, Aug 9, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    3. Yeah, I only collect female dolls. I really can't stand male dolls.

I gravitate mostly towards doll-like type of dolls, but I like realistic types as well.

4. Somehow I ended up collecting more female than male dolls. I think many female dolls are more aesthetically pleasing and have more design variety than male dolls.
      While I have many types of dolls, I gravitate more towards realistic dolls.

5. Absolutely "doll-like", 100%. I'm not interested in realistic sculpts at all... they don't inspire me. Same with illustrations, cartoons have always been so much more creatively interesting to me than realism or semi-realism.

And I have acquired a lot of boy dolls. :lol: I like my girl dolls a lot and I feel like I can sorta push them farther stylistically, but I always go for the boys.

6. When I started out in the hobby I really preferred more doll like sculpts, but as I've grown both in age and in the hobby I noticed my interests skewed towards more realistic proportions. I really like smaller eyes and more... hmm, how would I describe it... defined(?) noses especially.

I own male dolls right now, but I don't know if I necessarily have a preference for the gender. I have a floating Dollmore Ramie head that I intend to make into a girl at some point in the future though.

7. I've always been drawn to the more realistic sculpts, but ironically it was learning about Smart Dolls that led to my BJD interest in the first place. As far as female vs. male dolls, I've never seen a male sculpt yet that's grabbed my attention like so many female sculpts have.

8. When I first known bjds I first saw the more doll like dolls, and I was attracted to them, when I saw more I also liked the realistic style (have 2 Iplehouse sculpts) I think I'm in the range of semi-realistic and realistic sculpts, I'm not interested in getting a DD for example, I think they look nice but don't feel like owning one.
      My collection is conformed by half men-half women (5-5) I kinda like symmetry :P
      Even if my hole collection are 665 cm-up, I have 2 tinies, and of course one is boy and the other girl

9. I admire realistic dolls, but for myself I prefer the more stylized dolls. I've only owned female dolls uptil now but am considering a male in the future.

10. I like a healthy mix. My MYOU girl is definitely my most stylised doll, my momonita and souldoll girl are somewhere between realistic and that level of stylisation, and I recently put a Dollshe Diana on layaway who seems to be quite realistic indeed. I have no issues with male dolls, the ones I've fallen for just tend to be outside my budget -- size wise and money wise. They trend towards the halfway point between "heavily stylised" and "realistic" on the whole. I love the pretty boys like Dream Valley's Vine or Dollshe's Aramis.

11. I like kind of a mix. Luts is my perfect middle-ground between the two. Doll-like for tinies and yosd are great though. I do have one realistic sculpt at the moment, but I'm actually debating on whether or not to sell him. I do love him, he just doesn't fit with my crew. Maybe if I had another realistic sculpt or two, but I have no plans to get any more.

As for gender, I tend to like male dolls. I find the male body to be aesthetically pleasing. I do have 3 females, however. (As compared to 7 males.)

12. I definitely have a preference for male dolls...even though I have only one boy right now (with another on the way), I find that I'm attracted to them a lot more. Ever since I decided that six would be enough for an MSD collection (three girls, three boys planned) and moved on to SD, I still have yet to see a female sculpt that's called to me.

In terms of style, I really do prefer the doll-like style that Fairyland has for my minifee girls (I don't really like how feminine the boys end up looking because of the style however), but I have an appreciation for the stylized-realistic looks that Iplehouse has too. Iplehouse is probably my favorite company in terms of style, TBH.
      But if I wanted a hyper realistic looking toy I'd only want it for a character that I liked, and for that I'd rather get a Hot Toy instead of a BJD.

13. All the dolls for me are female... and I prefer the more exaggerated features on body and face, lillycat, fairyland, ENAIBI :love

I don't think I would ever have a realistic doll... not my cup of tea...

And I love elf ears, horns, extra limbs, a third eye is always nice :abambi:

14. Most of my dolls are in between doll-like and realistic so I guess they'd be considered semi-relistic. I really like dolls with smaller eyes but I also love wide grins and pointy teeth (and dolls that show teeth in general).

I do own a couple anime vinyl dolls which I think are absolutely adorable though.

Lastly about the boy or girl dolls. I have to go with males. The majority of my collection are male dolls while I only have one girl which is a dollfie dream Miku.

15. I wouldn't really call them "doll-like" in the traditional sense but they certainly aren't realistic! I collect fantasy/anthro dolls so there is a wide variety in style.
      I have three girls and two boys, but because my dolls are so "abstract" compared to the typical human form some of them could really go either way haha.

16. I definitely prefer the more stylized and doll-like dolls in one way or another, Unoa faces are my favorite kind...but I don’t prefer actual anime faces in the larger dolls, just in my 1/6 collection. I love the female dolls most but I have developed an appreciation for males too. I prefer to shop for and make for female dolls and so far, I tend to put the males in one set of purchased clothes more often than buying them multiple outfits, making something for them or changing their clothes much.
      My collection is about 75% female and 25% male with the exception of one faceplate character who doesn’t have a sex or a gender or even a body of their own but is very much a character, they just body-snatch among the 1/4 dolls as a form of ‘spirit possession’ that is part of my main 1/4 doll storyline.

17. I prefer realism. I was never interested in dolls as a child, and it was partly the frilly, pouty, pink cheeked porcelain doll look that put me off. I really don’t like that aesthetic much and also, they were mostly girls while my collection is almost all boys. I prefer realistic or semi realistic aesthetically. I’m not a fan of overly stylised dolls. One of my dolls is bugging me at the moment because I’m finding him too far removed from the others in terms of aesthetics - eyes far too big, chin too narrow etc.

While I do like some stylised sculpts, I have a pet dislike too, which is pretty much anything that harks back to the porcelain doll aesthetic.

I much prefer boy dolls and I only have two girls (out of 16) one of whom was a free gift. The other is a character of mine, who never wears dresses. I’ve never particularly liked overly girly styles & have no desire to spend money on dresses etc for dolls, so any future girls are unlikely to have massive wardrobes or be frilly. I find the mini replicas of men’s clothes really cute, though.

Also, as well as my OCs, many of my dolls are minimees or based on film characters and all my favourites are men as well, so that skews it a bit.

18. Well let’s see, I definitely like stylistic sculpts, as my dolls are all volks, soom or dream of doll. My current ratio is 3 males to one female...but I prefer to shop for clothes for my female doll, even though I love my boys. I’d have more female dolls eventually, but I can’t come up with as many female characters as I have for boys,

19. I like stylized to semi realistic dolls. I love both older Delfs, which have massive eyes and a stylized look, and Soom dolls, which have smaller eyes and a variety of nose shapes but aren't quite realistic. I don't like the hyper realistic sculpts, because to me they don't really take an attempt to change their expression with a face up (by making the lips look slightly turned up or down) well.

20. I only have one male doll and no female dolls. I'm really leaning towards realism with my preference but it should be very well below when it gets uncanny. I guess it's kind of a mix between doll like features and realism that I like...