1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you collect stylized or realistic sculpts?

Dec 2, 2016

1. I love the doll-like look! There's just something about those cute doe eyes and chubby cheeks of a doll-like yosd that I can't get enough of! I pretty much plan to only collect girl dolls as they are more my style and the yosd boys look like girls half of the time anyways...

2. Hm, kind of both? My older dolls (as in character age) are more realistic but the younger they are the more stylized/goo-goo-eyed I like lol.

3. :celebrate:cheer:celebrate:celebrate:celebrateWhen I started the hobby I only had an interest in fairyland dolls... I would say they are definitely on the ‘doll’ side of the scale.. I find the big eyes just so endearing! :love After a while I found myself a little interested in more realistic looking dolls after seeing some beautiful ones on Instagram! I was worried that I would only like one type, but I’ve found my taste in dolls is just growing and changing all the time :3nodding: I have an anime style doll from Dollzone, as well as fairyland dolls, and have some incoming realistic heads... everything is exciting! :celebrate

4. Realistic, definitely. Some stylization is okay for my purposes, but I'm not a fan of the anime facial stylization when it comes to bjd's.

As for gender, I don't have a preference. I have equal numbers of both. Though, my minis skew to the girl side and my 60cm+ dolls skew to the guy side.

5. My favorite dolls are very realistic, most of them are like idol.

6. I like realistic and what I call semi-realistic sculpts. Not hyper-realistic, bit they aren't particularly anime styled or anything e.g. Migidoll. There are stylized sculpts that I like, but they are more fantasy.

Also, my collection tends to stay pretty balanced genderwise, with no more than one extra on either side at any time, but all of my girls are either male or gender neutral sculpts. I tend to not be very attracted to the sculpts actually designated female, probably because they tend to be more stylized with bigger eyes than I like. Plus, I'm always hybriding anyway.

7. I like to keep my dolls in similar styles because I display my dolls in my room. However, I like 70% realistic dolls. I think Maskcat's sculpts are really nice when I look for realistic sculpts that I like.

8. I find I really like both. I started out with CP when they were still with Luts and while I still love Fairyland dolls and other similar stylized fantasy type dolls, I find I'm also drawn to the more realistic sculpts. Dollmore, for example, offers a lot of these. Of course, with them, I love their BIG dolls, like their Lusions and Trinities. Realism in their features is definitely a bonus in dolls the size of small children. :)

9. Both are nice :) I tend to avoid massive eyes though. So probably semi-realistic would be the way to put that.

10. I have both guys and gals in my crew...as well as a few dolls who are neither. (My trio of zephyrs are supposed to be genderless air elementals, though all three are currently using unmodified, male bods of the less-muscular style. The resin avatar of my tabletop RPG werewolf character, on the other hand, actually has two bodies... In-character, Brooke is a natural shape-shifter who gender-switches on a whim, so I have both a male and a female body and move the head to whichever one I feel like tinkering with at the time. :lol: )

All that said, the numbers are nowhere near even between the sexes over here. My male dolls have always outnumbered their sisters. These days the line-up is about 3-to-1 in favor of the dudes. o_O

It's not that I don't like female dolls... I really do. I have every bit as much fun with my girls as I do with my guys, and outrageous, floofy dresses made of pure fru fru and lace in particular are sort of my secret weakness when it comes to outfit shopping... But I'm pretty picky about which ladies I add to the gang. I don't like childlike, little-girl faces on boob-a-palooza mature bodies, for instance. I don't like "duck lips" or exaggerated pouts. I don't like obviously open mouths. All of those things put a lot of the girl sculpts that are out there immediately out of the running... Which has ended up really limiting the number of gals I have.

11. I learnt pretty quickly that realistic sculpts weren't for me after venturing into that style briefly. As much as I greatly admire realism in bjds I've found they just don't inspire me as much as fantasy type dolls.

12. Definetly more stylized sculpt for me. I love looking at pictures of more realistic dolls, but after a decade in the hobby and several failed attempts at trying to own one I've decided they are just not for me. For my personal collection I prefer more stylized sculpts in the older aesthetic like old CP, peakswood, volks and such.

13. I've since made a mix of the two. I get more realistic dolls or ones that are more humanised for working as characters that I can buy really cute outfits for, treating them more like my actual child. And then I also really like to get some stylized dolls to act more as art pieces or still life dolls that I won't necesssarily play with as much or buy clothes for from a mainstream bjd site, but I'll definitely be more experimental with and spend more time customising. I of course, however, love both equally but would say I have only a few of the realistic because of how much I can change them, and a lot more stylized and unique because they really are one of a kind.

14. Considering that I'm currently crushing on hyper-realistic dolls but also love and collect dollfie dreams I'd say a mix of both? The revolution for me started when I got my first Dust of Dolls girl and I fell in love with how human and childlike she looked. Ever since then, the more human a doll looks the better. I do own stylised dolls still in the form of my remaining minifees and mr Charming who is literally an anthropomorphic robot cat and the aforementioned "anime dolls" but i think of them as their own thing entirely.

15. I'm somewhere in the middle, but definitely leaning towards stylized. A lot of the more realistic dolls have a tendency to proportionally smaller eyes and smaller heads, and that can end up looking too much like a fashion doll and not enough like a BJD for my own taste. I like strong or unique features that add some character to the "big eyes small mouth" aesthetic, but I don't stray all that far from it in the end.

16. I'm mostly in the middle, with a leaning toward mildly-animesque. Most of my crew are very "normal" in their appearances and expressions though I sometimes style them with more fantastic accessories (hair, eyes, a faceup). I love looking at the highly-stylized and sculptural works, whether hyper-realistic or hyper-cartoony but due to budget I only admire these sculpts. I want to own dolls that rep my OCs so unless I have a fantastical OC I reeeeeallly wanna shell, I stick to my planned buying list.

17. Looking at my current crew, I would have to say stylised. Not overly so, but if you were to put them next to a realistic sculpt, they would look different. I'm definitely not opposed to owning a realistic doll, it's just kinda worked out this way. Although in saying that, I want my dolls to look good together, so they need to have similar styles!

18. I have both next to each other and decide on what fits best for the character I want to shell. So one of my characters is just perfect for a doll-chateau-body and another one has a very natural and realistic body. I like how different they look next to each other and enjoy both variants.

19. As someone who draws my characters often, I prefer stylized- mostly because I want them to look similar to themselves in my style :D Some characters I just can’t see with realistic faces, so stylized dolls are the way to go for me!

20. As my collection grows, I would love for my dolls to be a variety of styles and resin colors. They are mostly realistic now, minus one else and my Impldoll creature Chad head. So many dolls and not enough money!