1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider yourself to be a BJD collector?

Oct 15, 2009

1. I think of a BJD collector as someone who buys dolls for a specific collecting purpose. I.E. they want all the Tokyo Boys because they like Volks' concept, whereas if the same molds weren't in an established story line they would not be as appealing to the person.

People in this hobby also seem to be collectors of only one or two things, and not of dolls as a whole. Like maybe someone collects eyes, they may not have all the types of Zoukeimura eyes ever made, but maybe they have several pairs or only buy Zoukeimura eyes. They're not a collector in the strict hobbyist sense of having them all, but they treat them like a personal, specifically planned collection.

I don't collect LE outfits in general, but I don't usually have the heart to split up particularly rare outfits anymore. So I have a small collection of LE fullset outfits since they're fullset for collector purposes only.

2. I'm definitely a hardcore collector but I don't feel the need to own a complete collection of any one type or company. In fact, I'm just the opposite. I love diversity in my collection, different face styles, resin tones, etc. I've collected various dolls over the years & have other collections as well & the only collection of one brand that I felt the need to complete was my Jewel Tea dinnerware collection in service for 12. I finally gave up on it when I decided I wasn't willing to spend over $100 for a butter dish but I had nearly all the other pieces.

As far as dolls or other items, I jokingly say "two's company, three's a crowd, four or more of anything constitutes a collection." Now if I could just limit my collections to four...

3. I'm a collector, but I don't have any special rules or limits about the dolls I buy. I just buy the ones I love and as I have eclectic taste, most of them are very different from from each other.

4. I consider BJD a collection / hobby so even though I don't want every one of the dolls created, esp since that would run in millions I believe I get what I am looking for and hope that it works, if not I know in time the one will sell and the hunt will begin again for the one I feel I must have. So even if the must haves run in low numbers, it doesn't mean they are any easier or cheaper to find and get.

5. I use the term "BJD collection" but I know that I'm more of a BJD enthusiast than a collector.

When I was little, I loved to play with toys. Whenever I saw one I liked in the toystore, I would want to bring it home and play with it. For me, that's how I feel about my BJD. Although I don't play house or tea party with him, I play with him through photostories, photography, and customization. Since I never saw my toys as a collection then, I don't see my BJD as a collection now.

Also when I think of collectors, I think of rare objects and large amounts (in general). I don't see myself fitting in any of those categories. I don't like any of the rare dolls and I would see myself very unhappy with a large collection.

6. I am a collector of teddy bears, pocket dragons but dolls - no. I would like to have only a few dolls and buy only those dolls I love. I know that I can't care about big doll collection. Thus, no I am not a collector.

7. Yes, I am a collector. I am also a tinker, a tailor, a modder and quite a few other things.

I have dolls for mods.
      I have dolls I have collected.

8. You can certainly consider yourself a collector without having all of something--collecting isn't just having everything that was put out. People have all different criteria for what they collect.

As to whether or not I consider myself one...No, at least, not entirely. The big thing when I buy dolls is intending to do things with them--they are bodies for characters usually, and my dolls definitely aren't just shelf pieces like my other collectibles are. However, I do like to collect things, and while I don't consider my resin crew a collection exactly (that term always felt a little impersonal to me), my liking to collect does play at least some part. I guess this is a more hands on hobby rather than collecting thing for me, though there's no reason I guess why someone couldn't be more hands on with other collectibles too depending on what they are.

When talking to nondoll people about my dolls I do use the words collect and collection, because it's likely to make more sense.

9. Naw, I'm just a weak-willed sucker for resin boys. :| They say "buy meeeee! I'm perfect for you!"

...and I cave like a wet napkin. :lol:

But yes, there's a certain bit of "completing a set" going on here as well. I have the Iple House Soo Ri in Normal, White, and Tan, and the Gentle Soo Ri in Normal, and Tan... and there's this itch to get the White to Complete the Set. No story line working this time, no character slot to fill, just... waiting for that last note of the scale. ;)

But the way I got those other Soo Ris, was mostly "Ooo! Pretty!".

10. Well, they sort of...appeared...yeah. I would suppose they are a collection, and thus I am a collector, I just have no specific focus in collecting them. Just whatever the heck I find myself with, really. It's more a hands-on attatchment to them.

With the pokemon example used in the opening, I actually "collected" those, but only the ones I thought looked good. Which happened to be lots. I see how this relates to me own bjd habits...

11. In short, yes. Wasn't planned on having so many, but I got them. Got plans for more too, but I don't really consider them a collection. More like my gang of guys, even if a few are female, lol.

12. Hmm, I suppose I am. I'm seeking to have a collection of BJDS, although only a small amount and not a specific brand or amount goal, so thus I would be collecting and be a collector. Like many others have said, even in my past collections I wasn't usually all about having them all but rather the pretty ones I liked best of what I was collecting. I guess BJDs are much the same, just on a much more expensive scale. I'll have to start using it in my explanation, I imagine it will make my life easier.

13. I consider myself a collector of dolls with a strong interest toward BJDs. I have some other dolls before I found BJDs but once I found BJDs I was hooked, even though they are far more expensive than any other dolls I own.

14. i don't really consider myself a collector of bjd dolls but i am an admirer! I tend to buy based on what they look like and if it speaks to me in some way. Don't really do it for collecting purposes, or for LEs or sets, as i will probably never sell the ones i will own unless there is an extreme emergency. and even then.. i don't know if i would be able to part with them. I still have a teddy bear from when i was a small child that i could never throw away. even when it started to fall apart.

however i may turn into one, since i just ordered one and i'm already looking to buy another xD bjds are highly addictive .__.;;;

15. i collect dolls, i cant have them all, i just get the ones i think are most beautiful

16. I collect characters.

The dolls are a symptom.

;)

17. I think there are two kinds of collecting: the "gotta have them all!" kind of collecting and the more choosy collecting I think of when I think of people buying, say, expensive art or expensive cars or any other item where it would difficult or impossible to "have them all." With that kind of collecting, it's more important that what you choose to buy is something you really love and want. That's the attitude I take towards kimono, and it's also the attitude I take towards BJDs. It's just not possible for me to own one of every BJD or kimono in the world (especially kimono -- they tend to be one-of-a-kind) but that doesn't make me not a collector. So yeah, I consider myself to be a collector of BJDs.

18. In terms of that, do you consider yourself to be a BJD collector?
      Only because there isn't really a good term I can use... True, you can't possibly try and collect them all, like trying to see how many birds you've spotted or getting a full set of Pokemon cards. But then, most collections can't really be completed. Say, you collect Art... well, one or two pieces and you've started a collected, probably... A SMALL collection, but if it's something you're interested in, then I guess you're collecting them, even if you have a few.

I guess what I'm asking comes down to, do you consider yourself (or want to be) a hardcore BJD collector if you have several?

Probably, if you think of acquiring more dolls, even if you actually DON'T, it counts as wanting to have a number of things you're interested in, and I guess that can be a collection. More than one, definitely... but how many after that qualifies as a collection??? Who knows?

Can one truly consider themselves a collector if they don't have all or nearly all of maybe a certain brand or doll?

Most collections can't ever be completed, so I don't think that really matters. With Stamps or Coins or whatever, you just start collecting some... I think you just have to be interested in them and have some number of them...

Dictionary.com says--
      "COLLECTION"-- something that is collected; a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, esp. for some purpose or as a result of some process: a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.

Do you call yourself a collector if someone asks why you own so many dolls (if you own several)?

Not really, but I I guess I could, for the lack of a better word. I usually just say I'm an "owner"... Collector does seem a bit too... well, not accurate, really. But by definition--having a group of objects/things in one location-- it's accurate enough... just has weird connotations, that of just buying them because you wish to have a number of dolls, rather than buying because you want specific dolls for specific reasons. Although I'm sure some collectors are like that, too--looking for specific items to own for specific reasons...

19. I think it's already been established there is sort of a "stigma" around the word Collector that implies something impersonal in the aspect of this hobby. (like card, or stamp collecting...)

I can see it from both angles. Like, used in the sense of a traditional collector, who has somewhat of a tendency to hoard the items, which in this case would probably be less valuable than a BJD, or less individualistic. Or as someone who merely happens to want more than one of a "special item".

My first reaction is to say "NO" because, I have never understood the mindset of the "collector".

I don't ENJOY having a lot of anything (especially valuable things). I actually think it feels wrong. And I don't merely buy things because I want it as part of my "collection". Which, I'm quite sure, very little of us BJD people do (I may be wrong...).

I buy dolls because I enjoy certain dolls. CERTAIN. Meaning, the bulk of dolls out there, I do not want. (Remember "Quality over Quanitity"?)

Besides, I only have two right now and honestly as much as I would like to have some of the others on my wish list, I'm content with the two I have. (I've failed to keep more than two at a time. The others were sold...Though, by no means am I done er...collecting...)

So you see, the word can be applied in different ways...
      I agree with using the term as a quick way of explaining your reasons for buying dolls to others. (or like I just did above).

But, really...would you call someone who purchases a lot of camera equipment or different types of paintbrushes and cameras a collector? I wouldn't. That is sort of what buying dolls is like to me.

20. I consider myself a collector as I am still actively buying dolls. Once I stop (which won't be for awhile) I'll probably state I used to collect them but have since stopped (just an owner). I wouldn't go hardcore for anything, but I will say it is my aim to have all versions of Volks Nono (YoSD, SD10, SwD, and SD13) as I love her sculpt.