1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider yourself to be a BJD collector?

Oct 15, 2009

1. I wouldn't consider myself a collector in the "Gotta catch 'em all!" sense. I prefer to call myself a hoarder. :P

This is because I don't adopt dolls from just one brand, nor do I pounce on every LE I see. but I intend to have a big family of dolls from different companies. :)

2. I understand 'collectors' as people who are looking to buy sets, LEs and the more rare dolls, and don't buy them because they fell in love with a single one of them but a lot of them as a whole. They also buy and sell to get what they collect and are more about real value than emotional value. Note, that this is only my opinion on the term.
      Because of this understanding I don't count myself as a collector, though other people might have a different view on that. ^^

3. I am absolutely a collector. I've always used the term, and I never saw any negative connotation to it- my definition of the word is someone who actively participates in the hobby, and owns or plans to own multiple dolls. Most collectors I know don't see an end to the collecting. That takes the fun out of it! The joy is always the NEXT step, or getting that doll perfectly outfitted, or getting your hands on the perfect pair of heels to go with that dress.

I love collecting this hobby. <3

EDIT: Also, Brightfires hit the nail on the head. You can be a 'collector' and still be so many other things. XD

4. I consider myself a collector of many different types of dolls. At the moment I collect Blythe, Disney, LaTi Yellow and Mui Chan. I know the longer I am in this hobby I will branch out and collect more bjd's. I would like it to be soon but I can only collect as much as my wallet allows.

5. I consider myself to be a BJD collector for sure. I don't have to collect them all, per se, but I want to collect all of my favorite dolls. If I buy another doll, I consider it to be adding to my collection. Within my entire BJD collection, I would say within that I have a collection of Soom dolls and a collection of Migidolls. A collection is entirely defined by the collector, and even if they want the title of being a collector.

6. I don't consider myself not a hardcore collector, because I play with my dolls, and never buy fullsets. I get them not only to have them.

But to some degree, I would still say I am some kind of a collector - I have certain criteria that my collection has to fit, don't buy (or if I accidentally do, the dolls don't stay) dolls that don't fit into my collection sizewise, for example, or those that don't fit aesthetically (in my opinion, again based on certain criteria like face proportions etc.) and have a "must have" list of a certain doll brand that I want to complete.

7. i could say i am to certain degree, as i plan on collecting the right dolls to fit my character needs. i don't know how many i'll get just yet :)

8. I'm actually not sure if I consider myself a BJD "collector" or not. Most people would probably consider me a doll collector in general, considering the number and variety in the types of dolls I own (not just BJD).

I think BJD are more of a hobby than a collection for me. To me "collector" implies that a person collects sets or rare items, and then tries to keep them pristine and displays them like trophies. I don't do that with my BJD. I play with them, cuddle them, take them places and photograph them. I've modded a couple of them. I do take good care of them, but they're by no means "mint in box".

Maybe I do have some collector tendencies, though, because I love the thrill of the hunt. I love to buy used dolls of all types (BJD or other), particularly ones that are limited or hard to find. It's exciting to me when I find a rare thing.

9. Yes I would say I am, I'm after quite a few dolls :)

10. I never considered collecting to only mean keeping things of value under glass or getting every one of something. I called myself a rock collector in elementary school when I picked up pretty pebbles off the playground. Just because I don't want every doll and I play with them, doesn't mean I'm not a doll collector. My husband says he would consider himself a Magic Card collector even though he plays a game with the cards and doesn't have every one ever.

11. I dont consider myself to be a BJD collector.

I do consider myself to be a collector of toys (yes I consider them toys). My BJDs are part of my toy collection....granted my favorites.

I used to like coming on the forum more in the past (but thats another topic) but not nearly as much any more. I still love looking at specific members dolls and always love seeing the new ones they get.

Its hard for me to get the dolls anymore because my collection has expanded so much in the past few years and I am streached thin with space and money! lol

I have the doll I just HAD to have and he has made me extremly happy to have. The other boys are just that my boys.

In the toy collection the BJDs all the rulers and all the other toys take direction from them....except for my Hot Toys figures (they have a private militia & dont interact with the other toys). lmao

12. Yes, I call myself a collector. I collect dolls. I don't intend to have them all. But I am a pony collector with more than 600 ponies on the shelves and never tried to get them all. I am a Pullip collector with more than 20 dolls and never tried to get them all. And now I also am a BJD collector.

I never got the thought of "gotta catch them all". Because that means you also have to get you don't really like just to own it. I only collect the stuff I really really like :)

13. I "collect" in the sense of having more than one, and even more than one from the same companies.

In the idea of "gotta catch them all" ;) well that might fit me and oldstyle Dollshe. I own one full dollshe boy right now, but I have 3 of their boy heads on order which will make me end up with all but two (one I do not like and one limited that is no longer offered) of their old style boys.

14. I would say that i am now...lol.

I have two bjd's on layaway (iple leona and minifee marcia) plus i just bought a minifee dark elf soo head and i have a body for her that i need to pay for still.....and i am buying a bjd fashion doll! ...oh, can't forget my two amelia thimbles that are already a part of my overall doll collection.

15. hmm no o.o
      i love dolls really ~ ]
      i'd love to collect some
      more but im really picky
      in dolls , and low on cash
      xD i only have a doll for now

but in the future i do want to
      get not many but two or three
      more that is ... so even by then
      i dont think id be considered as
      a doll collector ? >.<"

16. I consider myself a BJD lover, I do play with my dolls and enjoy dressing them, they do not sit in boxes untouched.

17. no, i think i am more of a lover of all things pretty, i have 4, 2 DD's and 2 resins, if i was to get any more i think i would prob venture into collector territory but i'd rather 1 doll i really love and can give love to than have 10 that i can each only share a 10th of the time with...if that makes sense..lol

18. I am generally a doll collector. Just lately into BJDs.. i guess being a doll collector is the general term when you dont have a specific theme for your collection.

19. This thread is a bit of a necro and built on an OP that doesn't make a lot of sense. Collecting in the general sense has nothing to do with collecting "them all". Some people collect art or antiques or a million other things that it is impossible to have "all" of. The important part of collecting is having a collection or just a single item and a desire and intention to acquire more eventually.

20. I don't consider myself to be that much of a collector. I only have four. Granted, I have dozens of dolls when you count off-topic dolls, but I only get the ones I like and think I would like playing with them. I usually don't go for completion or anything. One time I got two different but similar cowgirls, but that was it.