1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you consider yourself to be a BJD collector?

Oct 15, 2009

1. I'd consider myself a collector. Right now I'm trying to accumulate dolls from different companies. Every company has their own unique style. I guess I kind of collect them like artwork, except with more emotional attachment :)

2. I totally agree.

Art collectors don't own all the art works in the world, so i don't believe that is what being a collector means.

I have 15 dolls, I don't think I can be considered a collector. I feel that to be one you have to sort of treat you collection as one. I used to collect rare coins and notes, they were carefully put in a display box, away from light and dust, with dates on them and all. I don't do that to my dolls. I change them, paint them, and even though I am very careful with them, they are not really a collection. They are not displayed so to show their artistic value, they are not locked away for preservation. They are the embodiment of my own creation, my characters. If I say I collect dolls, then I have to say I collect characters I create, and that's not right.

Of course, calling myself a collector would sound a lot better >.>

3. Doll collecter, I do not like the sound of it. I prefer the term doll owner like the Japanese do. I wouldn't say collect them like I collect stamps or coins to make the ultimate collection. I'm planning to have only 4 of them anyways.

4. No, I'm not a BJD collector. So far I only have one doll and he hasn't even come in yet. Do I plan on being a collector? Not really. I would like to have other dolls, but its too much money for me to put down. Maybe if I didn't have other expences I would, but sadly that isn't the case.

5. I don't think I'd call myself a collector. I'm more of a person who just absolutely loves these dolls, thinks that these are the coolest things she's ever seen, and would like to have several in her house. I'm not set on having a grand collection of more than ten or so dolls, and I don't want all of the dolls from any company. For me, BJDs are more of a relaxing and comforting hobby, as well as an attempt to be creative. I'm definitely wayyyy into them, but my approach doesn't really fit the term "collector". I'm just an enthusiast who fell in love with the cool ability to make a doll look exactly like I want it to look, and the potential to do more with a doll than sit it on a shelf.

6. I am a collector, but I DO love all my dolls or I wouldn't have bought them. The ones that I have sold have been to been to buy dolls I like more. And yes- I pretty much collect limited addition dolls. Mostly because the nicest sculpts are often reserved for limited editions. I have a few standard editions left though, but nothing I want to sell. I've actually run out of dolls I will sell to buy other dolls. Just because the one's that I've obtained are all ones that are sticking around.

7. I wouldn't say that I am a BJD collector, but rather a doll collector. I only have one BJD at the moment but many other dolls. Although I love her and she is my favorite doll I own, I would like to keep my collection small.

8. I do consider myself a bjd collector. Not because I want to put my dolls on display and make sets, but because I have a "collection" of them. I think I have close to 30 in my house (though most are tinies) but its still more than enough to qualify by my terms. Plus being a collector is something that people can easily identify with and might cut down on the initial wierd factor they might experience.

9. I'm certainly a collector, I think once you get over a certain amount you can't not say you are. ;)

10. It's a really easy way to explain it to people who don't understand! However, I don't consider myself a collector. Four is hardly a collection. :lol:

11. Yep, I definitely consider myself a bjd collector as I enjoy them and am still adding more to my crew!

12. Ah, but that's the beauty of collecting... Any given collection doesn't necessarily HAVE to be large. All it needs to be is a related set of objects. There's no real limit when it comes to the exact number.

I collect nautilus shells, for instance. I only have five... one example each of five different sub-species... but the small number doesn't make my little gathering less of a collection.

13. Yes, I do. I have a "collection" of them, it's my hobby, I am a "doll enthusiast," etc. All many sides to the same coin, I think. At the end of the day, it's just a label, and however you want to call it, I just love these dolls!

14. I have to agree with this, it would feel like I am collecting my own characters, my creations, which to me doesn't feel right per say. But on the flipside I do have bjds that are just that they hold no characters, so they to me are 'collection pieces' which I do plan on adding too.

15. I consider myself a collector (or many things, BJDs among them), but not for the reasons you stated. I simply love these dolls and hobby.
      I don't "have to have them all!", I'd love to have one of every type of VOLKS Four-Sisters someday (NS, BW, Sunlight, F-05, Oldskin, SWD Nana, SWD Kira, YoSD, SD13, SD16) but that's more of a dream than an "I NEED THEM ALL" kind of feeling.

16. I collect all kinds of dolls so I'd have to say "No, I don't consider myself a BJD collector per se." I just plain love dolls. Mostly fashion dolls but others too. Lately it's BJD's, but they're just the newest thing with me, a way to expand my doll collection, to keep it fresh, and to have fun. Honestly I was getting bored with some of the dolls I was collecting even though I still love the ones I have. I needed something fresh to work with, to play with. Doll collecting ennui had finally set in after years of collecting. Getting my BJD's has really helped with that. I'm not bored anymore, in fact I'm having a ball with my BJD's, making things for them and all...

17. I am a doll collector, who also has some BJDs :)

So I do not collect BJDs like I collect some other dolls (ie gotta have 'em all) but most people outside of the BJD hobby wouldn't make the distinction, I guess.