1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever get scared to order a doll?

Jul 13, 2021

1. For some reason, ordering dolls is nerve-wracking for me. I love having dolls, but every time I go to order a new doll, I hesitate because I feel like I will regret buying it. I've always been a frugal person, but I can justify the cost of dolls because I know the craftmanship that goes into creating these dolls. There is really no reason for this nervousness, but I still feel guilty about buying more dolls.

I stop feeling apprehensive once I bite the bullet and order, though. Does anyone else experience this?

2. yeah, I get that feeling a lot cause I never quite know if it's an impulse buy fueled by adhd or not. I've found that I tend to limit that feeling with the rule of only having one on order at a time, so its easier to validate that I wanted the doll I ordered. any second hand doll or in stock doll get to be the exceptions of it cause of that cause I reason it's in stock so I don't have time to regret my choice, and I can always sell it right way without that wait period.

3. Mostly I get apprehensive about whether or not it’s a purchase I’ll actually enjoy, versus one where I’m just being lured in by the company’s promotion. (In their defense, that’s the entire point of advertising.)

At the end of the day, as long as you’re happy with your decisions, any pre-purchase jitters aren’t a problem; it’s a good opportunity to evaluate what you really want, though. FOMO is also a very real feeling in the hobby so it’s easy to get worried about regrets both ways.

4. My first couple of dolls made me feel that way, since I was new to the hobby and had never spent so much on a luxury before, but after that, I just started impulse buying. Now, my financial situation has changed and I have to be more careful, so that anxious feeling has returned. Even if I'm spending money I earned from selling other dolls or hobby things, I'm still hesitant and think of all the other things I could do with the money. I have occasionally had regrets, but most of the time, by the time the doll arrives, I'm happy I did it!

5. I'm the same as you to the point i missed out on a limited time order and am regretting it now

I keep thinking about how much necessities i could have bought with those ...

Like what if i buy them and not like them? (It's hard to judge when I can't see owner photos)

Even though my financial situation is stable i still wouldn't dare to each time... So i just stick with second hand items

6. I'm an impulse buyer, so typically the terror comes AFTER the purchase has already been made~

BUT! I have gotten a LOT better at keeping the dolls that I have impulse bought (know thy self) then I was in the past. Which makes it a lot easier in the long run. I have resolved myself to doing everything I can think of before giving up and selling a doll because I have found that it's often the guilt from spending so much that puts a bad taste in my mouth, rather than the doll itself.

With this hobby as well, I have missed quite a few opportunities in the past because I didn't make a move on a doll that I really wanted. Since these dolls rarely are an investment; I'm not looking for them to appreciate in any kind of value; I'm looking for enjoyment. If I'm going to enjoy it for the next x-amount of years then it's "worth" it to me financially.

7. I feel your pain too! I don't know if this will work for you or not, but when I feel that way - I guess not just new BJD - but anything really, I just save the cart, close the computer and see if it still seems like a good idea the next day.

8. Yes, sometimes I get nervous too! One thing that really helps me to feel good about a doll purchase is to just sleep on it for a few months (heck, even years for a couple dolls). Obviously this doesn’t work for many limiteds. I’ve only bought one limited because of this, and that was because it was a re-release that I had already wanted.

If I’m still obsessed with a particular sculpt after a long time, I won’t feel nervous about buying it at all. :) I’ll just feel excited that I finally did it! It’s because I know that it’s something that I’ve genuinely wanted for a very long time, so I can trust that I’ll continue to love it. The nervousness and regret only sets in if I make an impulse purchase.

9. I've started the purchase process several times; gotten to the shopping cart and cancelled (for two dolls that I want so much!) I feel a lot of anxiety about buying and having to wait for so long and wondering if after such a long wait will I regret it!

10. I usually feel that way when I’m deciding to buy a doll or not. I know I’m a bit of an impulse buyer and I don’t want to buy any dolls that I won’t absolutely love. Leading up to purchase I always have a lot of back and forth on if I really want the doll or if I just want that feeling of buying something new. I definitely agree with people saying that waiting longer before deciding to buy helps a lot.
      as for the actual purchase, it makes me pretty giddy since I’ve already done all the worrying and back and forth. But it definitely takes a lot of apprehension and indecision to get there.

11. I felt that for my first. For everyone else on my crew, the purchase has been considered for at least 3 months, so the jitters had time to settle down.

I also spent money I specifically saved for that purpose, so I don't really stress over the monetary aspect of it.

I actually don't stress much over anything less than death, grievous injury or bankruptcy.

(Perhaps I am too much of an easy-going person? XD)

#11 lyaam12, Jul 13, 2021
      Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    12. I get that way a lot, and honestly understandable especially because of how much dolls can cost, and you never know if it's really impulse or not lol

I mostly get nervous just before clicking the checkout button when a sale isn't going on,
      I think to myself "oh no! I'm gonna buy it rn and like next week it's gonna go on sale and be cheaper!!!!"
      which has happened to me numerous times outside of the doll hobby!

13. I used to feel the same when it comes to feeling regretful after ordering. That's why I forbidden myself to buy anything impulsively.
      I know this is not rational but I also tend to feel a bit anxious if the order takes too long. I think the artist forget about my order sometimes or it will get lost during shipping. :doh

14. I get more nervous right after. This hobby is tough for me because I never know how I am going to feel about a doll until I get it. Once I hit that submit button the nervousness starts, wondering if I will like it as much as I think I will. I spend a lot of time searching pictures and seeing different looks. I like a doll that can work almost any style, whether it be wigs, eyes or clothes. I am sometimes suprised by which dolls I end up liking more than others, so I have learned that I can't really trust my judgment based on photos at all. I wish there was a way to see every doll before I buy it!

15. I'm a little less than a year into the hobby and definitely more nervous about ordering now than when I started.
      I bought a couple of dolls that I thought I would love and I did, but I didn't have enough time to spend on them. :|

Now when it comes to limited dolls or ones that are on sale, the FOMO really sucks. I ask myself, do you really want this one and would you potentially be willing to give up a slot in your collection for it? (Whilst I'm in my current living situation, I'm limiting my collection to four dolls :sweat)

16. Yes and no. I'm an impulsive shopper on a tight budget who has a bit of a preference for secondhand (where it's easy to miss out if you don't move quickly enough), so sometimes I stress out about whether I'm just being impulsive or if I really do want it. However, I have no qualms about selling dolls if I'm not clicking with them, so that eases it a little. I have two coming in soon that I thought over pretty thoroughly, so I'm really excited <3

17. I felt like that with my first and just jumped into a purchase with my second. With my first, there were plenty of times where I had him in the cart and just sat there and looked at the price. I would go as far as to putting in all my information and just sit there and question what I was doing. I think because it was a big purchase and it was a lot of money to just let go of. Then after a few days I decided to go through the layaway route. Made it easier on me and helped ease some anxiety.

18. I've had dolls that I really like, but hesitated to order because I wasn't sure if I'd like them as much in person. I've decided against anthros several times after comparing them to other dolls on my wish list. There are a few more recently received dolls where I decided to risk not loving them and having to go through the trouble of selling them, and was fortunately very happy with them once I opened the box.

19. Many many times. I have missed out on so many dolls that are now unavailable or impossible to get because I get scared to order the doll. I will go on the website and put everything in the cart and fill out all the billing information and then I get scared and delete everything. It is more about spending money on a doll instead of myself or saving that money for a trip.

20. All the time. Spending money in general makes me nervous and I've regretted not buying something many times. When I was younger it was just because I didn't like spending money, but I also have severe health problems, and I'm worried I might need the money for an unexpected crisis sometime. I'm still going to be in college for a few years so its not like I need to worry about that for a while, but I also feel weird spending money on myself.