1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever name and create a back story for a doll you haven't ordered yet?

Jun 6, 2022

1. I have been saving up for a specific doll for a while (Dream Valley Dean full set to be specific) and I have already created an entire backstory for him. Does anyone else do this? What are your suggestions for saving up money?

2. I write many stories. So some of my dolls are characters from these stories. ^^ But, I already created the whole background of some other dolls even if I didn't have them at this time.

For saving money, don't look at shops and artists. XD

3. But they are so pretty! I just hope I can get him soon. I'm worried he won't be under pre-sale on Denvor Doll (my go to company) too much longer. Hoping to order him later this month.

4. Good luck ! And don't hesitate to ask for layaways if it's a limited doll. ;)

5. That's what I'm probably going to do. Layaway is a bit more affordable.

6. I definitely do this. I tend to end up with more characters than dolls, so I’m always in search of the next character shell—which can be both frustrating and fun, considering there’s constantly a next “goal.”

I know this is a sort of blah answer to your question, but, to save money, I tend to look closely at every purchase I make in everyday life and ask myself “do I want this as much as I’m gonna want that doll?” Because I think this way, I make next to no impulse purchases and mostly all of my “play” money goes toward the doll hobby alone. Ultimately, my house is less cluttered, I save way more quickly, and every object I buy inevitably brings me a ton of happiness.

7. I definitely do. ^^ And once I receive the doll, I get inspired to add a few details.

For saving money, it matters a lot to know what you want. I mean, to get more money, you either have to earn more or spend less, and for me at least, the latter seems way more doable. That could mean managing your expenses carefully on a day-to-day basis, and/or having a clear plan for what you want to buy and not get tempted by other items. (It's easy to say "oh I could resell it if I don't want it anymore" but often, you lose a bit of money in the process and it adds up.)

8. This happens quite often for me. My dolls are mainly divided into two categories:
      - dolls that I really really like the look of and must get! (For these, I usually don't have a name or story for them even after they get home. They are just pretty collectables that make me happy.)
      - dolls that are shells of certain characters (These usually have a name, story, wig, outfit and so on ready for them before they come home.)

And, I don't really have any tips for saving money... but I do set a limit for myself of how much money I can spend on doll and hobby stuff each month.

9. No.

The one time I tried doing it before I had the doll in hand, she refused to cooperate and was a completely different character from the moment I opened the box.

Teddy

10. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends if I'm getting a doll to shell an existing character or not LOL
      My incoming Iset and Alan are 2 of my oldest ocs, so they definitely already have names and backstories!

11. I do often which makes me wsnt to have the doll more, but I just think of the back story. I don't write it down. I think naming a doll and thinking up of a back story makes me attached to the doll before I decide on getting the doll. Then it becomes harder to resist getting that doll.

12. My fiance talked me out of a purchase the other day by reminding me of the doll I wanted. I'm glad he supports my interests. You're response made me think of that. It's so true though.

That is hilarious and totally something that would happen to me. I had that happen with a Buildabear once. :P

I am still fairly new to BJDs. I only have one at the moment and have a huge story for her. The next one is going to add to her story (I hope they get along).

I haven't even gotten to just the looks. I chose this one because he would fit in the story I have going.

I only started the backstop because he is a doll I have looked at for over 6 months. He is on the top of my want list. But I can definitely understand not making one before having it due to it making it harder to resist.

13. Yep, I've made that move a few times now, for better or worse. One doll I bought 98% because the mold instantly told me exactly who the doll is and everything. It doesn't help that it was in my favorite shade of my favorite color either. My first doll I bought to shell a preexisting character, and my second was an impulse buy who's not much more than a pretty face with a name attached to it.

I currently have made two backstories for some dolls I do not own, but desperately want; though ironically my next planned doll hasn't told me a lot about themselves yet. We'll just have to see what (if, any) comes of it down the line.

14. I love how some of them reveal their stories quickly and some keep it to themselves. Some never do. They have such interesting personalities.

15. Oh absolutely. That's a concept I wouldn't have ever understood before owning a BJD, and what an amazing concept it is.

16. That is sooooo true! I never know that they could speak to you so much.

17. I've come up with names and backstories before ordering dolls. It's usually because I'm planning a family group, and I prefer buying one doll at a time, or shelling a preexisting character.

As for saving money, the above ties into my policy of not buying dolls without serious thought in advance. The planning can go months or even years. I also recommend being very picky about molds.

18. Yes, I definitely do this! I really like to write, create new OCs, and come up with backstories for them. As a result, most of the dolls I want/have are preexisting characters. Although I don't want to shell all of my characters into a doll, there are several that I have a sculpt in mind for and or have been inspired by a sculpt ^^ I'm currently working on backstories for two dolls I don't have yet that will tie into a story for two that I do have!

For saving up money, if you're working then putting aside a little bit every paycheck is a good way to go about it if possible. Many companies and BJD dealers offer layaway as an option! I also try to stay away from unnecessary purchases or put off other purchases that I want but don't need (from other hobbies and such).

19. {laugh!} I wanted a super-slick secret-agent type and got a laid-back hippie chick instead. Not that I'm unhappy with her, but she's not what I'd planned.

So now I stick to buying dolls I like the look of and getting to know who they are once they arrive and I start the process of finding out out their hair coluor and style, eye colour and clothing preferances.

EDITED TO ADD: To date, none of them have turned out to be super-slick secret-agent types....

Teddy

20. I am currently waiting on my first dolls. When I purchased my very first doll, he took a while to give me his name but that's all I really got for him (made it hard to find clothes to have waiting for him when he gets home).

But then while I was waiting for him, I fell in love with another doll, who was limited. As soon as I laid eyes on this second doll, he told me his background and suddenly my first doll had a story as well. I'm a writer, and I've written almost 10k for these two...and I don't even physically have them yet xD (There's also a third doll I'm waiting on that has inserted herself quietly into their story as well oopsies).

But then there are two other dolls I Need, that are on my wishlist and I'm waiting for them to cycle back in. I know they're coming eventually, but they haven't told me anything about themselves yet.