1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you ever take "breaks" or "vacations" from the hobby?

Nov 28, 2011

1. Heavens, it's been a while since I've been active around here--and I'm glad to be back! :D

I am the type of person whose interests wane dramatically through out time. Often, I have hobbies that I get in to for a few months, then back off of for a while. Very, very often, in fact. I do this with games, art, movies, BJDs, books, etc. The things that I "always come back to" are what I typically consider to be my real "hobbies." This is about the end of my third break from BJDs, so I think it's time to officially add them to my list of hobbies.

That being said... I'm curious if anyone else is like me. I have two BJDs at the moment, an EP Turkish Angora and a DOD Shall. In the past year or two, I've had a lot of trouble bringing them back and forth to school, so they've been carefully packed up and stored at home until it's finally time for me to get in to them again. Although I'm still a year off for graduation, I can feel the BJD calling yet again, and I think it's almost time for my semi-annual BJD obsession period. ;)

So here are my questions for you guys!
      • Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:
        • ​How long do your "breaks" typically last?
        • What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken?
        • What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)
        • When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
        • When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      • If you've never taken a break from BJDs, do you think you ever will? Why or why not?

2. I'm the same way you are, with the waffling between hobbies! I've figured out that art and dolls are my hobbies, because no matter how many times I start to become disinterested, I always jump back to those hobbies. :3 So yes, I do take "BJD breaks", which usually last a couple months. I think the longest one was after I sold my first girl's body and only had a couple Pukis around. They're cute, but I missed my big girl and it made me sad to not have her whole. ;~; It's usually a combination of waning interest because I'm more focused on school or a new videogame, lack of finances, and lack of time that causes me to take "breaks". Especially now that I'm needing to take exams and hopefully be admitted to the Nursing program at my school, I've had even less time for my dolls, but they DO make me feel better to pose them a bit when I'm feeling stressed over school and work. ^^ I never really feel any guilt, cause I don't exactly pack my dolls away, they just sit around looking pretty until I've got time to photograph them or have money to buy them some new clothes. :3 I've never really gotten any crap from anyone regarding my dolls, because my parents know how I'll try out things and then lose interest, and pick it right back up if I really did like it after all. I've been that way my whole life, so I guess they're used to it! XD

3. I don't take breaks from it, because I don't think of it as a hobby. I may take breaks from sewing, or something like that, but doll collecting is a part of who I am, and I couldn't ever take a break from it.

No, I don't think I ever will.

4. I'll have "doll breaks" that last from a few days to almost a month while I do other hobbies and recharge my batteries for dealing with my angels. Dolls are a life long thing for me so buying dolls and buying for them never stops but some times I'm out of the spiritual energy they require. When I'm making heads or searching for a new character that takes even more.

5. I've never taken any sort of "official" break from my dolls. Yes, there've been a few times I've gotten busy with school and ad to wait a while to finish up dolly projects (two of my girls spent three days sitting sorted out in ziploc bags, waiting for cleaning/sueding and stringing back up; just recently, three of mine were sitting headless on the couch for a couple days waiting for me to finish up their new faceups).

But, that said, I've never needed a "break" from BJDs (nor do I consider waiting to finish a project a break). I don't think I'd ever feel the need for it, either. As someone else here said, I take breaks from things like sewing, or drawing. Just posing them or cuddling with them makes the hobby "active" for me, aside from plotting new ones, saving, or buying things.

6. ​How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      I guess any time around 1-5 months is about the time the breaks usually last. It's not that I don't look at them, though. I check on them to make sure their strings don't get too loose. But otherwise I don't do much. And I don't really enjoy them during the breaks, either.
      What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken?
      From somewhen in spring 2010 until early autumn this year.
      What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby?
      I took one huge break from the site and the hobby last year. It wasn't planned. Some other new hobbies just caught me. On top of that my sewing machine broke and I had to get another one. I wasn't patient enough to sew by hand like I did when I first came into the hobby. Also I wanted to get a new camera to enjoy taking photos again. After I lost interest in that other hobby and the events were over, I was too busy doing other stuff to just relax and play with them.
      When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
      Since I don't do much in the community and don't have any responsibilities, I don't feel much guilt there. It's always nice to be back after some time, though. ^^
      As for the dolls, I kind of felt bad but not too bad, either. A little distance helped me to work out their characters more.
      It's really refreshing coming back. I got to see a ton of new dolls and new threads here. Also I really wanted to spend time with my dolls again after getting some creative input. ^^
      When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs?
      I didn't have to deal with that. But I won't deny that it's an expensive hobby and that people might see you as a really spoiled person when you take a hobby like this and after some time seem to have lost all interest in it. But I was just taking a break. It's not like I didn't care for them anymore.
      Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      Things still distract me from the hobby. And the issues are also still the same. But the interest is back so I don't really mind that. ^^

7. I suppose that depends by what you mean by "break." Purposefully, no I do not. Unless, of course, you consider time spent between one doll and the next as a sort of break. If I know for certain what doll I am planning to get, I tend not to focus so much on anything else doll-related while I attempt to save up for the doll, and I may not visit this site or other doll-related sites with much frequency, but I wouldn't consider that so much of a break, as I still think about dolls. Sometimes life is a bit hectic and I am not able to spend as much time on the hobby as I'd like, sometimes going for days at a time without doing anything BJD or doll-related, so I suppose you can consider that a sort of break, but this goes for anyone who has an active life, which I assume most people do, and can be applied to any hobby.

8. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:

Ummmmmmm just got off a huge break from them.

​How long do your "breaks" typically last?

Usually only two or three months at the most.

Would have to be this one. I basically haven't paid much or any attention to my girls for...actually almost a year or something?? How horrible!!!

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)

Well I think it started as just relaxing from not being in school last winter break. But then I was under so much stress with school starting up, issues with friends, and then problems with the ex- roommate.

When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?

YES. I feel like I have treated them horribly. D: I miss doing faceups for people's dollies, and making clothes for my girls.

When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?

Well I think my biggest issue is that because I haven't talked about them much, I do think my family feels that my interest in them has waned significantly. I've always been very adamant about making dolls and my love of them part of my future. The other day I was asked what I wanted to do with myself when I graduated from college and I think it hit really hard that I'd lost my way a bit you know???

But I'm back now!!!

9. Okay, I'm just back from my first long break..) It lasted about 3 months. Almost the whole summer) It was because of my interests wich have been changed. And I don't feel any guilt, ever. Why should I? There also wasn't any scepticism, I myself told them I maybe lost the interest. They know everything about my endless issues, so.. I'm free!) And I will be calm anyway, it's my life and my hobbies.
      Oh no, I only felt some guilt about my dolls - I loved them and then suddenly kinda "betrayed". And that was sad, but I'm glad that now I'm back))

10. I've never taken a break but that be because I'm slightly a newb.
      The extent of my breaks are not taking pictures of new outfits or stuff because I'm too busy with school.

11. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one! Sometimes I see people around the forums that seem like ABJDs are their only hobby: they have so much time to dedicate to them and they never get tired of them! I'm definitely jealous~ I never get tired of ABJDs, but sometimes I just get busy or want to pursue other things. I have so many hobbies it's hard to balance them all. *_*

I think a large part of my past break was just that I had to make the choice to leave Elodae and Allura at home. It was very stressful trying to transport them back and forth to school and I was always worried about someone taking Elodae or her clothes or box or wigs getting messy... It was just a lot easier for me to leave them at home, but out of sight quickly became out of mind! D: I'm hoping that when I order my next doll, since she's yo-SD sized, she won't be as "fragile" as my tiny, but she won't be as large as my SD, Elodae, so maybe I'll be able to transport her back and forth a bit better and keep her with me~

12. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby? If so:
      Yup, like some of the other people who commented, I also just got back from a long break.

Most of the times it was just a couple of days/weeks.

This one without doubt. I can't even recall when it actually started. But I think that it would have been around the beginning of this year.

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)
      Combining a fulltime job with going back to school again did kind of kill it for me. When I had some spare time I wanted to use that for myself. And when you come back home late after a insanely busy shift I just did not have the energy to do all sorts of things with my crew.
      And I did have a bit of an interest issue at that time. I couldn't get clothes I wanted, bad luck with putting a face on one of my dolls, couldn't mod a wig the way I wanted it....things like that.

I really did feel sorry for my crew, mostly because they stayed in their bag...at my parents house...in the closet for... a few moths. :nowords: I'm horrible, I know.
      But it feels good to be back. I have new ideas and such. And I'm glad to have my crew around again :) I was starting to miss them.

When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      Not at all.

13. I took about a 3 year break
      From actually collecting dolls.

I started going back to school and i was moving around.
      Couldn't find a job.
      So i didnt have money to spare.
      I tried to just stop thinking about them for a while.
      Now that im able to save money i got back into the hobby lol.

I may have stopped being active, But i never lost interest at all.
      Which is what i define as a hobby for me.

Because im exactly like you lol.
      My interests come and go as they please or i see something new xD.

14. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby?
      Yes.

Not sure. Several months at a time. I'll look at my dolls during these breaks and play with them a little before putting them away. So it's not a complete break.

I'm not sure. Maybe a year or so?

Sometimes my interests change and I go and do other things for a while. Sometimes life happens and I need to focus on other things.

No, my dolls are just dolls and the community is big enough to not miss one person.

No. My friends and family watch me go through my phases and they comment on it. But they never question me.

15. Do you ever find yourself taking "breaks" from the hobby?
      Yup :) Just came back from one... though the reason was a bit different than most others...

Maybe a month or two? Maybe even three actually... really depends.

3 and a half months :) hehe

I'm not a very focused person and I pretty much jellyfish everything I do. But if I really like something, I do come back eventually. Also, religion. It's not as common as financial reasons but I know other people out there know what I'm talking about. Obsession with dolls and materialistic gain and whatnot...

Now this question BOTHERS ME. There is absolutely NO NEED to feel guilt whatsoever. Regardless of the personage one has put into their doll and no matter how real they look because they have a humanoid form, they are just dolls. You shouldn't have to feel guilt. And for neglecting the community? Honestly the way I look at it, AS A WHOLE, you don't really owe the community anything. This is a place for doll lovers to meet and just interact. If someone wants to leave for a while or even forever, they should feel free to. Absolutely.

This is a very tough question for me. Because the first time I was in the hobby, it was public. This second time, it is a secret from my family. My family confronted me and got rid of my dolls because of religious reasons (and I understand and comply. I totally understand why it was and they felt had to be done) but I still wanted to stay in the hobby. So this time, I am in secret. I am NEVER getting an SD again though :/ I think I shall stick to having 2-3 MSDs and 2 tiny's in my life.

• ​How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      I just finished my first break which has been rather long. 8-9 months I just lurked now and then.

• What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?)
      We had other areas we needed to focus on financially.

• When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community?
      No.

• When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby?
      No. However, I am back to wondering whether they're worth the money or not which is a concern I had in the very beginning.

16. My "breaks" typically last about three to six months, and happen pretty regularly; I seem to cycle through being ~^*really into*^~ one of my main hobbies (Writing, sculpting, ABJDs, making cuddly toys, swimming and skating) at which point all the others either lessen in intensity of practise or fall totally off the radar. And then it's the turn of a different hobby.

I don't feel any guilt for "neglecting" the dolls or the community; I'm not a big player in the forums, and as long as I haven't recently bought a big expensive doll item when my interest wanes again, I generally don't feel too worried about it. If I have just bought something big and expensive, my train of thought usually turns towards thinking "Oh, no, I shouldn't have bought that, I'm not even using it, and I could have used that money to buy [clay/skates/fabric/notebooks/trunks] (delete as appropriate)." And then, of course, a year down the line, I find myself thinking "Oh no, I shouldn't have bought those new wheels, because this preloved Saint on the MP is going really cheap..." And the cycle begins again.

I've never had any criticism from my family or friends on this slightly weird (But looking at the resoonses here, not as weird as I thought) behaviour, but they know that I always come back to my hobbies eventually, and that in general, the things I enjoy aren't going to decompose whilst waiting to be the hobby-of-the-month again.

17. Yes, it has always happened unplanned. It's good for a hobby to flex and then relax.

18. ​I can relate to this!

How long do your "breaks" typically last? I just came back from a recent break. It lasted about a year, I think. However, I'd had small ones before that, generally one a month or so in length.

What's the longest "BJD Break" you've ever taken? My recent year long break was the longest.

What are the various reasons you take breaks from the hobby? (Is it just because your interests wane, or because of finances, living situations, etc?) All of the above. I quit my horrible job and went back to school for a second degree. My apartment flooded and I was forced to move. Money is tight... I also just lost interest. I got back into some older hobbies and I had to decide how I was going to spend my free time.

When you get back in to BJDs after coming out of a "break," do you have any guilt for neglecting your dolls or the community? Not really, but I don't have any close friends within the hobby. If I did I'd probably feel guilty.

When you've taken a long break from BJDs, do you have to deal with any skepticism from your family or friends about how much you love BJDs? Do you find yourself having the same issues you had with them when first starting in the hobby? Not really. Most of my real life friends don't care all that much and my family doesn't leave nearby. I do find myself with one problem that makes it feel like I'm brand new again... There's no many new dolls and companies! It's like I need to learn everything all over again.

19. How long do your "breaks" typically last?
      I only had a 'break' once and that lasted approximately four months.

Four months.

Hmmm, it's a bit weird in my case. This was about a month after getting my first doll. I read threads on doll protection and with me being paranoid at that point, I always kept him in his box. I played with him everyday but it kept getting more and more tedious to get him out due to the layout of my room. Sooo, it finally got to the point where I didn't want to deal with the hassle of pulling him in and out constantly for the sake of looking at him that I just stopped and then got preoccupied by other things. I guess you can say I forgot about him :sweat

No, I don't think I neglected my doll or the community. My doll was safe in his box ^^

Maybe my boyfriend, though he didn't say anything about it because I didn't talk about it. No, I don't have any issues relating to how much I love bjds since I first started this hobby.