1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you feel alone in the hobby? (even with the forum)

May 10, 2014

1. Yes I feel the same.

2. Currently, I feel far from alone. This site helps, but it can be overwhelming sometimes.
      YouTube and Instagram have really helped me to feel connected with the community. It's so cool when people you admire in the hobby start following you on Instagram and interact with you. And though I don't post videos on my channel, watching videos by Anne Pecaro, Swandzz, and other hobbyists really helps me connect with them.

3. Feeling isolated in this hobby is something understandable, and bjd forums, YouTube channels, and social media groups tend to ease that loneliness for many, but I sometimes wish I could accidentally meet a friend or a coworkers who shared the same passion for the bjd hobby.

4. @Lady Alexiel No kidding. I agree, there's nothing quite the same as knowing someone in real life who is in the hobby. I hope to someday go to a doll meet and get to know some people in the community.
      A friend of mine who knows I have a Blythe recently told me she collects Pullip dolls, and that was the coolest thing - it makes you feel less isolated and strange.

5. I definitely agree with you there. It is important to know people who have similar interests. That way you won't have that feeling of being the only one out there.

6. I have been but I met some local doll people by accident in a park near my house (I had brought my Lati with me and they saw her) and there is a meet this weekend I'm hoping to attend. I would really like to make some local doll friends.

7. Me too! I don't really mind if my friends aren't mad doll hobbyists, but right now I'd settle for literally any other description apart from "creepy" from people. :(

8. I definitely feel alone in the hobby. I don't know anybody that collects dolls and on instagram (i've got over 1,000 followers so I'm not unheard of I guess?) I still feel like an outsider. I'm not really close to anyone in the doll hobby like I used to be back in my Flickr days. I've just got to give it time ^^

9. I belong to a doll club in Connecticut, USA and we meet monthly. Most of doll group collects fashion dolls - Numina, Sybarite, Fashion Royalty, Momoko, etc - but I have several dozen BJD and several other members have some BJD as well. The group is very open when it comes to what sort of dolls you can collect and bring to meets, which makes it very enjoyable for everything! Plus, I get to host and show off my display room which is always a pleasure! I wish every community had a club like this.

10. In my town I am the only adult collector, People get a kick out of seeing my BJD's when I tote them around. I am lucky that I have BJD buddies in surrounding areas. I do wish they would do more doll meets. Getting together with dolls is one of my favorite things.
      Have you ever tried to find a good online buddy? I have a couple people I talk to regularly, even ones I have never met and probably will never meet. It may help you with the lonely feeling.

11. yes because i don't know anybody in real life that has the same hobby as me :/

12. At times,I do have my sister and friends to talk to but not someone who's into the hobby like I am. I would like to have a dolly friend(s) to talk and play dolls with.

13. Sometimes? I mean, I do most of my socializing online anyway. I actually have made "doll friends" because of DoA. They're all in other parts of the country though, but it's still nice to be able to PM someone on FaceBook with random doll-spam! Still, there are times when I really wish I had other doll collectors I could chill with face-to-face. I know I'm really lucky that all my non-doll friends think my dolls are pretty cool, and my BFF actually loves to hang out and play with them.

14. I feel very much alone, but I am perfectly fine with it. I have many hobbies and always have. If I come across something I find interesting, I try it. Sometimes I meet people who are also interested, but often I do not.

I think I am a pretty atypical doll enthusiast. It amuses me to think how I will be received when I go to my first meet :)

15. I do feel alone too. No one wants to organise a doll meet around here sadly :(

16. Yea, I want IRL doll friends or for my sister to join the hobby. Sometimes it seems like she is but then she just changes her mind. Nobody around here coordinates anything, so I just watch Youtube vids.

17. I have lots of BJD ppl around me so I'm lucky, but before I found my group I felt pretty isolated in my hobby.

18. I have plenty of people online that I can talk to about doll plans/share pictures with, but I really want someone to actually hang out and DO stuff with! Taking pictures, doing faceups, making props and accessories, etc.. are all so much more fun with someone else honestly ;w; I do have one friend who is into doll/toy collecting who always asks about my BJDs but she isn't IN the hobby herself (not that I can totally blame her...the difference between collecting resin BJDs and collecting modern fashion dolls is...hundreds of dollars) so it isn't quite the same.

19. Even with the online world I get lonely, in many things; not just dolls.
      I'm also a furry, which has a huge online network with numerous different websites, but being in an area with very few people it means I never get to speak to anyone in person about it.
      It's the same with dolls too, the closest place anyone seems to be is Manchester for me which isn't exactly a bus trip away. I often end up just keeping anything doll related online since none of my family members are remotely interested (that I know of).

While it's great there is this online community that we can all interact in it pales in comparison compared to the real, social interaction of meeting and talking to people for real; even for someone as socially awkward and timid as myself.
      I often end up just talking to my doll and myself. XD I'm not insane I swear!

20. Although the BJD community seems kind and acceptable, I've never had a real conversation with someone in the hobby. No one around me is interested in dolls, and most of my friends actually hate them. However, it doesn't bother me. I have a ton of other things I enjoy, so that's what I talk about. Although I would love to go at a meetup one day. I'm also very used to the "I love it, it's so cute!" "No it's not" thingy, even before I went to the hobby :)