1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find BJDs calming?

Mar 9, 2009

1. I'm going through things at home and work and don't get me wrong I have a young son and he helps me out a lot but when he goes to his dad I'm here alone. I love my son but he has to spend time with his dad too.

Thank you all for your replies, this is helping me better understand the doll hobby and help with stress.

2. These dolls are like the best therapy for me, I just have to handle them, play a bit with them and I feel like all my worries and problems go away. My dolls have helped me in many difficult times, like when I went to live by my own (I don't like to be alone) with my dolls I felt safe and happy.

That's a wonderful feeling! take your time, I was the same the first time, too excited and I wanted all dolls...but then, I saw the doll I knew was perfect for me and when you spot the one you will know right away!

3. Thank you I feel more confident in buying my first doll:)

4. Yes, my dolls have helped me with stress and anxiety. Sometimes work gets under my skin due to various reasons, and there have been days where I get home, take several dolls out, put on my headphones, and start taking pictures of them. This makes me feel like I can think clearer and is just relaxing in general. Good luck :)

5. Thank you all for all the good licks everyone :)

6. It's a bit of both! Stressful, because sometimes my patterns don't work out and all I want is for my girls to have decent clothes!! :sweat And sometimes the more technical aspects, like when I need to restring a doll, make me nervous because I want to do it right the first time. Basically both of those issues are my fault for being a perfectionist. ;) However, I love playing with them, posing them and taking photos; that's the most relaxing part for me! And sometimes their presence can help calm my very frenetic mind; having them by me can help me focus on one subject, rather than fifteen at once!

Good luck choosing your first doll! I'm sure she'll prove to be a stress reliever to you, in one fashion or another!

7. Thank you so much :XD:

8. I find my dolls very calming 99% of the time. I keep them all out on display and I find looking at them, reposing them a little, fixing their hair, those little things make me happy.
      The only stressful part of doll ownership comes into play when I need that one little thing to "finish" a doll that thing doesn't seem to exist. If I think on it, a little time and patience had proven that eventually the thing you are looking for will be made, and then it all comes together. (I never thought I'd have a full kendo outfit for one of my dolls, a couple years later a doll maker released a set!)

I think most of the stress of BJDs comes from the online/interpersonal aspects of the hobby, not so much the dolls themselves.

9. Yes yes and yes! I find they are a wonderful creative way of relieving stress. They encourage me to use my imagination (which is usually overactive anyway) and create stories, take photos and plan new projects. I think whatever gives you enjoyment is good for relieving stress.

10. I actually love to come home and see my many girls lounging around in my room. If I don't see them I go crazy so yup I need to see them everyday to be happy!

11. Goodness, yes! I have a ridiculously stressful job, and sometimes I just need to completely disconnect from the real world. Puttering around changing wigs/eyes/outfits for a couple of hours and completely zoning out does wonders for my mental health. I guess it is my own form of meditation.

12. Well, since the only thing thats keeping me from having an anxiety attack because of my dentist appointment this afternoon is the fact that I'm getting my second doll tonight, I'd say yes. Also, working on them (wig making, dressing them etc.) really helps me to get my mind off of things.

13. I was feeling anxious at night so I sat Mischka on my chest and felt the weight of her while I took some deep breaths. It was really calming, and she's so cute so that helped too. Then I put her away though so I didn't roll over on her by mistake!

14. Just glancing over to my doll gives me a sense of happiness and peace. I based him off my favorite original character of mine and being my first bjd he holds a really special place in my heart. I have so much fun looking up new clothes for him or finding a new toy for him at the store. It really does help with my stress and anxiety at times. For me bjd's are just pieces of art but a way to help calm myself too.

15. My boy comforts me in ways humans (lol) can't. I find him much more comforting than a person who either says unnecessary things or just doesn't understand.
      But I do like people! They're just not the best comforters and understanding at times.

16. I'm not sure that I think of my dolls as calming...reassuring, perhaps, in the sense that I kind of thought something was wrong with me in that I have a hard time finishing projects: I get frustrated or bored, start a new project, and then come back to the original later. All projects get finished, but its nice to have a hobby where working on something different isn't a new project entirely. For example, I might get frustrated with a faceup, and move to a body mod, all on the same doll. Or start on a doll costume, stop before I impatiently ruin the work, and start on making a wig.

17. They help me relieve stress

18. My dolls do have a calming effect on me,especially if I'm making outfits for them:) And they did help me a big deal when I moved to live to another country .But sometimes I feel a bit anxious when I don't have enough time for them,so I guess it is a bit of both :roll:

19. My dolls are great at helping with my anxiety. Having them around in my room helps me to stay in a more calm and positive frame of mind, and holding/playing with them definitely makes me happier.