1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find BJDs calming?

Mar 9, 2009

1. When I had surgery long before I had Theo I was in alot of pain. When I got home my gf was there which made things better.

However I will need to have this surgery every so often for a while to make sure I'm ok, if you like. I know if my doll wasn't there when I got home there is no way I could have the surgery again. I think in away it is calming or even a comfort. I think it will make it easier, because it will be worse next time when I have the surgery because I know what it will be like. But it will be worth it because this time Theo will be there.

2. I'm a bit obsessed in that I usually need to have one with me. Even if he\she sits under the desk at work, or beside me on the couch, or in my shoulder pack as I walk. I feel more...relaxed that I have something to depend on my keeping it safe. More alert and more alive, and much better at controlling myself because I have to act the grown up. I know that sounds strange and possibly psychotic, but as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, I don't see where it's a problem.

Currently I have my newest little one sitting on a box under the desk and I imagine him playing with his toys though I haven't caught him yet. BJDs are sneaky that way. XDDD But in short, yes, I feel much more mentally focused and calm with at least one of my family nearby.

3. Mine are about 90/10. the 10 is worry- will something happen- will I snap a finger-are they staining- whyyyyy won;t this thing I am making fit right???
      But mostly they are very calming. There is lots of stuff in my life that is draining and worrisome and upsetting and frankly I do not tell people much of the bad stuff so then it roils around in my head haunting me, sucking the joy out of life, you get the picture.
      So then I can go to the dollies- they do not need to be fed or complain their feet are cold or require a bag for a walk. I can enjoy their beauty and piquant faces and make lovely or outrageous outfits for them and they will adore them and look *faaabulous*. So they are an escape that tops off my need for visual beauty.Like sunrise and sunset and Spring flowers and huge snowflakes- but they are muchly of my own efforts so I get the added joy of knowing I helped to make them so beautiful. They help to make we people release the maternal hormones that give is peace and that feeling of well-being and contentment- just like my kids and pets and friends and family- but without the strings attached- ironic though eh? :D
      Guess I am feeling a bit sentimental today....
      QZ

ps
      I almost always have one or two with me as well :)

4. Very calming indeed, actually. I look at my boy, hold him, pose, dress, photograph him and it's very relaxing, just like playing with dolls when I was a little girl.

Sure, it does get frustrating not to be able to get all the cute stuff I want for him, but who cares. I don't feel the pressure to dress him up in fancy clothes, he's only mine and for me to look at, not a model or a doll celebrity. ;)

5. Very much so. Whenever I get annoyed or really bogged down in daily life, I'll just pick one up and admire their beauty, or change their clothes.

It's just a hobby that I find comforting to love :D

6. What an interesting topic! Until recently I wouldn't really have thought of them as being calming. I mean, I enjoyed them but that wasn't really a term I would have used. Then, a few weeks ago I had surgery and all I could think about in hospital was getting home. When I was at home, in my room surrounded by my 'kids', I immediately felt a sense of calm and comfort. The past few nights, now that I am off the meds I had been on, I have been having trouble sleeping. And so I've taken to lying in bed, gazing at my dolls until I am calm enough to fall asleep. I can't express how much comfort they have brought me during a rather rough time of my life. I'm so glad to hear that others have had similar experience and their dolls bring a similar sense of calm and peace to them as mine do to me!

7. I don't have my doll yet, but I have stuffed animals and things that comfort me. Sometimes all you really need is a hug, without the nosy people asking what's wrong, or scolding you. My animals are pretty ugly, but I'm still very attached to them, so I know that when I get my doll I'll love him all the more because of the work I had to do to get him, and because BJDs are just so beautiful.

Now I want him even more ;_;

8. I used to get taken care of by a nanny and then my grandmother because of my mother's work - but once I was 9 or so I was deemed old enough to stay home alone.... So my dolls have been a comfort to me, because they keep me company when "real" people cannot... So now that I'm already 18 (and still more often than not home alone), I can still look forward to seeing Sarang at home waiting for me. It's comforting I suppose.

9. I wouldnt know yet since my boy hasnt arrived yet ^^; but i actually can say that the DoA forums calm me quite a bit :) i love reading everyones stories, opinions, and ect. its really relaxing lol. XD

10. Well.. I have perfection issues, and sometimes I can't look at my dolls for months because I don't think they're perfect. :(
      The dolls are perfect, but like I'll mess up their faceup or wig or clothes... urg.
      Ocd sucks.....

So I'm going to sell all my dolls and get a brand new one with a good faceup and really good clothes... then, I think, it'll be very calming. :3

11. My doll Oren really does calm me. When I'm sad or angry, I just look at him or stroke his hair. As for the hobby, I wouldn't consider it calm, like when I modded Oren, I was on rage mode when I was trying to get a hole through his eye. Faceups are less annoying, but I have moments where I do get rather angry. As well, when you're on a budget and trying to get basic things for your doll like clothes, it can be rather frustrating.

12. My dolls totally calm me. I can change there clothes and brush their hair, it's a brillaint chill out after a bad day. When I feel sad I can go to them and hug them, they don't get on my back and bug me with "What's wrong, what's wrong?" They are just there for me and they understand. :) They let me just be.

13. Yes, definitely. I love chilling out with my dolls, they make me feel so relaxed after a crappy day. Particularly my Puki! I bought her after a particularly crap day, so she was designed to always cheer me up!

14. Oh I have always enjoyed dolls in my adult life more as lacked them as a child. But BJD has for the past 3 years given me so much more. Although my CC bill would say other wise. In any case I love the hobby and see me doing this as long as eyes can see and hands can hold.

15. I usually talk to a good friend of mine when I need calming. If it's dire, I'll call her, but otherwise, I'll wait until she logs onto the computer. We usually get around to talking about something that we saw on DoA, and who we're wishing we had. Mira always sits next to me when that happens. :/ It might be my subconscience, or she just happens to be there, but she's within an arm's reach for me to hold her little tiny hands. ><;;

Actually, yesterday, my mother and I were driving and Mira was disassembled in my bag. The engine freaked out on the highway, and I first thing I did was rub her little hand in my bag. It was scary, but it was really nice to know that she was there. My next thought was what if we had gotten into an accident what would happen to her. :/ I couldn't imagine her smashed up next to me me and mom...

16. Their faces are so serene. I love looking at my girl, sometimes it feels like she's looking back and saying, "Hi."

It's nice to have a sort of "little friend" to be there when you need to relax.

17. I think yes, like you, it calmed me down sometimes.

The best example is when my 8 year-old guinea pig died few weeks ago.

I have two dolls, and the lastest wasn't really, hum, talkative or friendly with me. Ya know, shy a bit. When my guinea pig died (she was like... my entire life, really, I had her since I was 10, I don't even remember when I wasn't having her), I wanted to be closer to my dolls, because those two were now "the only two babies left", and suddenly I felt close friend two my lastest, and I was feeling very relieved about it. Suddendly, my dolls were comforting me like they never did.

Anyway, it calmed me down a lot. Now that I just check them, I feel... peaceful. :)

18. I find my girl calming even though at the moment she is just a floating head with eyes and a wig and a very badly made hat by me
      but i love her to bits. just when im feeling funny or odd i just take a moment to check on her and mess with her a bit and i feel alot better im sure it will be even better when i finally get her a body.

19. Yes my dolls do calm me. They help me relax after stressful days and having to deal with douschey people and they make me feel less lonely. I know that even if there are some real a-holes out there I always have beautiful dolls that listen and keep every secret.

20. Indeed. I do the same. A definite, calming, distraction.

Also, there is that sense of accomplishment when I finish a good photo/outfit/pose for my girl that is very satisfying.
      ...though I have to admit...there are times when it's a little stressful (such as being in public and getting super funny looks)...
      but I think in general Maggie is very good for me. She is my beautiful creative outlet. :3nodding: