1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find BJDs calming?

Mar 9, 2009

1. I have held my dolls and posed them when in a bad mood to get my mind off of it but never cried with them.
      I think that is just my personality. I can see how it would make someone feel better.^^

2. Sometimes when I'm really stressed I like to just look at my dolls and put them into poses that look like they're talking with one another. I then feel much better after that.

Haha.. Who needs a zen garden when you have your dolls?

3. Knowing I still cry sometimes to my pillows, teddy-bears (yes! I still have some, dispite my age D: ), I would deffinitely cry to my doll if my partner won't be around. :sweat

However, I'm still waiting for my first ever BJD and it all depends on what kind of relation I will develope with her. ;p She seems to be a stubborn, selfish girl... *_*

4. Ho boy. Yes, I've cried with Miles in my arms a few times. But it's not really that weird, because I cry all the time. I'm really quick to tears. I'll cry if I'm sad, yes, but I also cry if I'm stressed or if I'm really really happy, and I cry over books and movies all the time. I'm a regular waterspout... Miles just happens to have been around a couple of times.
      I remember in particular that Miles was sitting next to me when my sister and I were watching Bolt in my room... I started crying and hugged Miles and my sister both to me. XD
      I'm such a kid...

5. My doll definitely made me calm down. Now at night, when he's in my room with me, I don't feel like I'm alone and I feel safer as if someone were really in the room with me. I have a personality for him and everything, so it's like I feel his presence is real.

6. I just got my first BJD and she does indeed give me a tremendous amount of peace and calming. This may sound strange, but it's like having a new friend.

I also like to take her places with me. Carefully, I'll put her in a clean bag that will keep her out of the sun and pollutions, and I slip her into my purse. It's nice just knowing that she's there. ^_^

She keeps my mind from wandering to the things that would normally upset me and replaces them with something pleasant.

7. course i find my dollfie calming, especially when you have an extremely tough times at schools or something and you look at their face, the pain and stress vanishes and a wave of comfort comes

8. Haha, I have a tiny zen garden and it doesn't help at all xD It just sits there and takes up space. :P

I'm definitely with you on this, I'm quick to cry for little things and I like holding my teddys tight. I still don't have my first BJD either, so I can only imagine how calm she'll make me feel :<

9. A combination of events that have happened in my life and my disability, I am quite nervous and can get quite panicky. They do help me in certain situations, like interviews and the like. No one is going to notice that tiny in your handbag if you don't tell them it is there. Also they are good to hug ^^ So calming is certainly a yes

10. I think dolls are calming to me when I feel emotionally upset/down. My dolls allow me to step aside from my own problems emotionally. Whenever I feel defeated, my dolls let me focus on what I can do rather than the emotional frustration.

11. I get into a panic when I have to go get shots and other hospital related things. At one point in time I use to passout before they even stuck me with a needle. Since I've started taking a doll with me each time I go I haven't cried or passed out once. My dolls just put me in such a calm and confident mood that I feel like I can handle anything. <3

12. This.
      They are my departure from the everyday, and I have a lot of those, but one more can only help me. They also serve to me the same purpose as my stuffed animals did when I was little: They are my company and comfort, and if I've had a bad day one of them sleeps next to me on the bed, so that I feel like somebody's right there just in case I need them, a special imaginary friend.
      Yes, I'm juvenile. Child at heart.

13. Yeah, the dolls themselves are extremely calming. That is why I continue to collect and have them around even though I don't find the people associated with dolls (companies, other collectors or even people outside the hobby who comment) to be particularly calming. When it's just me and the dolls, it's fine, and as others have pointed out it beats buying alcohol, cigarettes, fatty desserts, and so on to try to calm down.

14. For me my dolls are very calming. When I have anxiety and panic problems, or am sad or depressed or upset, overwhelmed, or frustrated I love to hold onto them and cry to them and take pictures with them, or put them around where I am working. I loved when I lived in my dorm that they were on a table directly across from my bed (more specifically where my head is), because they could always watch over me. I'm always calmer and better with my dolls around!

15. This is such a fascinating thread and I have really loved reading everyone's stories.
      My dolls definitely have helped me through a lot of really rough stretches. When things in my life are crazy I go out to my Doll House and organize it and that relaxes me. I travel a lot and always take a doll with me no matter what. I even took a tiny with me to Tahiti. It was nice being able to open my bag and see her in there. I usually have a doll in the car with me when I drive somewhere (I do a lot of driving)- and I sit him or her on the passenger seat and glance at her as I drive.
      I have dolls with different personalities and I notice that how I'm feeling determines the doll I take with me.
      You probably all know that therapists often use dolls in therapy, esp with children. I have a therapist I see about once a month, and I always take a doll with me to therapy. The therapist loves them- sometimes SHE holds them during the session, lol!

16. yes my doll is calming ^.^ When i look at him and hold him and make him clothes, i know that the money i spent was worth it. Dolls make me so happy!

17. Wish I could find my dolls calming. As it is they are demanding, moody, secretive creatures that I would like to lock in a dark cupboard somewhere. They have too much power and they know it.

18. I find anything that's modled off of a "living" thing comfortable. From dolls to stuffed animals to figurines. Once I got my doll, he's always with me when I'm alone, and it makes me feel nice and comforted.

I suppose I understand some other people's thoughts of dolls being creepy [there are a few of the older antique baby dolls that even creep me out, and I have a high creep-out-tolerance], but that's because they're so /not/ lifelike. I think the fact that bjds are so lifelike makes me feel better.

Of course, I'm the type that hates being alone, so feeling almost like something else is there with you makes me feel calm. XD

19. Whenever I get upset, I always go straight for Angeline. Due to a few family problems recently (Not to mention exams! *_*) I've been getting more and more dependant on her. Nobody seems to really mind though. :3 I'll just sit and play with her joints or pose her until I'm suitable calmed down.

20. I find them comforting when I am upset or lonely. I've tried calming myself down by just holding them to me, or petting their heads and it usually works.

But, the rest of the time, I'm pretty obsessive about whether my dolls are perfect enough or if I'm bonding with them or not. I get kind of anxious about it sometimes, but this is what I'm like with everything, especially myself. So really, I think it's better that I obsess over whether my doll's face is perfect rather than my own.