1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you find limited dolls very.. limiting?

Nov 22, 2009

1. I have the one limited (Soom Glati, though he's actually a hybrid, so I have no problems with the typical 'set characterisation' of limiteds), and I can honestly say I do not find his body being limited any sort of limitation. I've yet to get him painted or make his tail, but I treat him no differently to any other doll I have. I find no problem in taking him out and showing him off...though once I get him painted I'd probably go get him some extra protection so his painting doesn't rub, but I do that with most of my dolls anyway. I'm quite odd when it comes to dolls I guess, I don't have any interest in limited dolls whatsoever, the only other one that I really like is the Luts Nanuri 07. Limited outfits on the other hand are completely opposite, and I would be a lot more protective over them (such as the Soom Sphaler outfit I've just finished paying for)

2. Do you treat your limited dolls differently than your regular release dolls?

Not really. When I'm not taking photos of them they stay in their boxes (I live in a smoking home). If they have a company faceup, I protect their face when I take them out (and yes, I've taken Suigintou to a meetup). R&G have faceups done by me, however, so I probably wouldn't worry about a faceup protector if I were going to a meetup.

My (two) limiteds do have eyelashes, though, so I'm much more careful about their faces; I do take off their wigs whenever I transport them, just in case. And both of them have the company's faceups. I am very, very, VERY careful with handling Suigintou. You just can't be careless with a doll like her.

Do you feel more comfortable expressing creativity through colors/painting/modding on a doll that is not limited?

Yes. My limiteds are very much untouched. Although I do plan to do some blushing on my Zephyros, I will never, EVER, mod/paint/otherwise mess with Suigintou.

Have you ever compromised a characters sculpt because you did not want to be held back by the limitations of a limited doll?

Sort of. A while ago, BlueFairy released a whiteskin version of Louis that was very limited. I wanted whiteskin for my characters so badly but I had no money. ;_; And now, rather than be 'limited' (haha) by having to wait for him to pop up again, or waiting for him to pop up in the marketplace, I'm probably going to settle for normal skin.

*sob*

3. Most of my dolls are either limited, rare and hard to find or a mix of parts that are limited and difficult to easily replace. I've been around long enough to know that of you are patient, committed to finding something and have the money you can have any doll you want. The hardest part is having the right amount of money at the exact moment you need it.

Do you treat your limited dolls differently than your regular release dolls?

For the most part all of my dolls are treated equally. The only doll that gets special care is my first doll. I paid a relatively low price for him and I could never afford to replace him. He has only left the house three times in five years. He is my favorite doll so it only makes sense that I'd take extra care with him. If something happened to him I'd probably sell off most of my dolls and leave the hobby.

I have two other dolls of which there are maybe ten in the world and they are not handled quite as carefully, so I know it's a special case with my first doll who is limited to 33.

Do you feel more comfortable expressing creativity through colors/painting/modding on a doll that is not limited?

Yes and no. I don't generally buy sculpts that need a lot of modding and I always paint them myself whether the sculpt is limited or not. Once again the exception to the rule is my first doll. He's the only one I didn't think I could paint properly and it was hard to send him away to get the face-up he needed. With all of the other dolls it has not been an issue.

Have you ever compromised a characters sculpt because you did not want to be held back by the limitations of a limited doll?

No. If a limited doll is better for the character for whatever reason that's the one I buy. I've had to make exceptions for certain sculpts that have only been available in normalskin when I really needed them to be white or tan but if it's not an option, it's not an option.

I think I want the new Volks standard SD13 Rinon but standards only come in normalskin - I'd want her in white so I'll wait until they add her sculpt to Full Choice and buy her at that time. I don't see it being a bid deal to wait a year or so the get her.

4. Hmmm well I'm usually more careful with my dolls in general since they are not cheap lol but with limited dolls I might be slightly more careful but if I want to enjoy them I don't worry about it as much because one of two things are your backup. Some companies offer to resell you missing/broken parts later on. You'd only pay for the parts that's damaged. Also, sometime you can get lucky and find another of the same doll on the market, granted may cost an arm and a leg but it's a possibility. In general, I don't think most company that offers their limited wouldn't also help in selling spare parts that got damaged as long as you have proof of damage and that you own such dolls (that'd be money lost if they did).

5. To be honest I have a hard time modding my LEs so I generally don't. Most of them came to me with face-ups and I won't touch those because I'm not as good as the artist who painted them and I can't afford an amazing face-up artist to re-do them for me. Sometimes the LE face-up is nothing special, like my Heath in which case he's on face-up #4 (by me). My Glot I now regret getting the face-up on because I don't lik it but I don't have the nerve to wipe Soom's job.

Other than that they get the usual treatment. But no, I'm not going to drill holes in them, or glue on peircings, or repaint if I don't have too.

6. Right now all my dolls are limited, but I don't treat them any different than the standards I owned. Like Idrisfynn said, if you have the patience, commitment and money, you can find any doll you want. Besides, I was just as nervous to work on my standards as on my limiteds, because if you make a mistake, you've just wasted a fortune, no matter what doll you hold in your hand.

I do have to say though, I'm not the sort of person who drags her dolls to supermarkets, school, my job or where-ever; if I don't work on them I keep them safe in the cabinet. But I have no problem taking them to meet ups.

7. I only have a few limiteds but don't treat them any differently than I do the rest of my dolls. I've taken them places, redressed them but I won't repaint them. As far as sacrificing a character, mine seem to develope one on their own with no particular pre-set idea from me.

8. I own limiteds, but I also own standard dolls that are now discontinued. I won't be able to replace them if something happened to them just like with my limiteds. So I play carefully with all my dolls, but I still play with them, because that's why I bought them.

My dolls go to meet ups and I take them outside for photo shoots, but I wrap them up carefully in a suit case when they leave the house and they are placed inside their doll carriers or closed closet to avoid sun light exposure when I don't play with them. I'm not really afraid to break them, because I can fix a lot of damages myself and it gives dolls character, but still I try to avoid damaging them whether they are can be easily replaced or not.

I also wouldn't hold off buying a standard I really like in case a nice limited happens to pop up. As I said, some of my standard dolls are now discontinued and once even one month after I bought mine without any warning. I'm still amazed how lucky I was with that one, because I bought the head on impulse and I don't want to think about how I would have felt if I had been too late to buy him.

I also don't buy limiteds for resale or thinking that if I won't like it, I can always sell it. The thought of having to keep a doll nice and unspoiled for possible resale would limit myself greatly and not the fact a doll is limited. If it's my doll, I'll enjoy it and if it gets a scratch or dent, so be it. I don't want to be bothered by how I treat my doll will influence its resale value, because if I like a doll, I don't want to sell it.

9. I only have one limited so far, but I treat all my dolls the same. Why would you be cautious with a $1000 limited but not with a $500 standard? I know I don't have an extra $500 in couch change to just replace it. I don't feel like I'm limiting myself, but at the same time I'm naturally cautious with their handling. I don't feel like I have to "buy now" because I know the doll will show up on the aftermarket eventually.

10. I own a few limiteds, I dont threat them different then the others except for Mimir, she's a limited DD-Anne tiny Mero, I think they are about 30 of them world wide? She was my first doll (head) and was love at first sight. I'm not carefull when playing with her but I dont take her to meets, becous she's so small (10/11 cm) I'm afraid she could get lost :(

The others I'm not overly carefull with, about a week ago I noticed that Famke, my Leeke snowskin Ange had yellowed a lot, but it doenst bothers me and I dont plan on selling her. She just sits on my doll shelf just like the rest.

11. i have both limited and not limited dolls. i had had minor mods done but these are dolls i have no plans on selling. generally i dont like seem to change a face up on a limited but i have had it done when its not quite what i wanted. i generally try different eyes and wig before i have a face up re done though. i dont really play with my dolls much and only a few have left the house. my favorite doll is my dollstown soph with a ravendoll face up, thats the first doll that attracted me to this hobby and i think i had to wait a year for them to be released again. i still look at her and sigh.

12. Right now I only own one limited. Yes, he does get treated a little differently. He's only gone out for photoshoots twice, where my Pukisha's been to almost all of them. However, I'm not one to bring dolls to the movies or grocery shopping. When they're not being worked on or getting pictures taken they sit on my shelf.

13. Nope not at all. I don't feel pressured to keep anything default.

14. It really depends what you mean by Limited. The Soom Monthlies are Limited, but there are so many out there, are they really that limited? I have what you call 'Limited' dolls but treat them just the same. What I do have is a class of dolls that I call 'Art Pieces'. They are usually limited. These are the dolls I treat special. My 'Art Pieces' don't go to outside meetups, and/or rarely go to meetups at all. I bought my 'Art Pieces' because they were pretty and I want to keep them in that original 'pretty' that I first fell for.

Sadly as much as I love my 'Art Pieces' they are always the ones I think about selling first (if I were to sell dolls off, which I really don't plan to do). This is simply because I don't/can't do that much with them.

-Anneke

15. I treat all of my dolls very carefully. However, with my one LE, she's also very heavy, so I use extra caution when carrying her. But, the main difference is that I do my own face-ups on my non-limited girls. I really have not grown the balls necessary to do so for Suiseiseki. Part of it is that she still has her default, which I have grown to like, but mostly it's because I'm scared of damaging the head which could not be easily replaced at all. I would love to give her a face-up that I like better though!

I also don't take risks when trying to stand her up either. My reflexes are good, but my MSD's are light enough that I could catch them more easily in case they did fall. :sweat

16. I don't have any limited edition dolls. But there are some that I want, that are sold out. And even some that aren't, that I don't think I'll ever get my hands on.
      Like Souldoll's Tan Queena. They discontinued her! And once I saw that, I just about died! ; A;
      She is so beautiful, and a doll I really wanted. But I never see her on DoA. I know there are a couple on here, but none with her default face-up. Which makes me entirely sad. She wasn't even a limited, as far as I know. So now it'll take me a life time to try and find her. Once I start to save for her that is. 'Cause i will find her.
      But as far as limited dolls go. There are some I want on Dollmore. Most of them are still available to buy. A couple aren't. But I just go for the ones I really want. And if I find them, victory! If not, then I'll just have to find another doll to take it's place.
      However, I'm not the kind of person to buy in the moment, just because it's limited. One, I don't have much money, that I can actually do that. And two, I know what I should and shouldn't buy at the time. And if I fall in love with a limited doll, and it is sold out a week later. So be it. If I'm meant to have the doll, I'll find it. If not, I'll live.
      But I do see what you're saying. Sometimes it's hard to find second hand limited dolls. 'Cause either everyone wants to keep theirs, or, or maybe it was just to limited and no one around seems to have one.
      But I don't think that would stop me from taking them out. They deserve to have as much play time as the rest of my dolls. And should have pictures taken of them outside, or go out with you. Granted, I don't take my doll at much. But you know. And if the dolls ends up getting stolen of ruined. It happens. Fix or try to look for the doll the best you can. If that fails, I guess you can only wish it doesn't happen next time.
      And I think I went off topic a little bit in the beginning. Oh wells! <3

17. I treat all of my dolls extremely carefully, be they standards or limiteds. Most of mine are limiteds and a few of them would be extremely difficult to replace due to their rarity and after market prices. That's not taking into account the ones with expensive, difficult to replicate custom faceups.

That being said, I don't find the limited ones limiting at all.

18. Do you treat your limited dolls differently than your regular release dolls?

Since most of my dolls are LEs, no. I'm careful with all of my dolls. The only exception to this is my Cristal one-off, whose faceup was apparently not coated enough. I have never damaged a faceup before or after getting this doll, but just an accidental fingernail rub can scratch her blushing. She literally has to be handled with white gloves at this point, because the faceup is not replaceable.

Nope. While I may not be the greatest faceup artist, I am confident that nothing I will do will harm the doll permanently. I am very careful to use the correct materials to seal, paint, and clean heads. My first faceup try in many years was done on my Snow-White Yuh, and that's definitely the most hard-to-find doll in my collection! My first modding project was on my friend's R. Heliot head because she didn't want him to have a horn, and I was more concerned about the fact that this was not MY doll, not that he was a LE.

Definitely not. Then again, I usually create a character for a doll I like, not the other way around.

19. Do you treat your limited dolls differently than your regular release dolls?

For the most part, no. The only limited that I treat more carefully is my Limited Red Vampire, but that's mainly due to him being white skin. I'm very careful with all my dolls though.

I don't mod dolls, so this isn't applicable to me. However, I buy dolls that I like as is, so I don't ever feel the need to mod.

I create a character for the doll, so I don't do the 'shell' stuff. I feel it would limit both my enjoyment and my creativity. I'm way too picky to shell characters. I had two dolls that didn't fit the characters that were given to them. As the characters developed they didn't fit, so I just made up new characters for the dolls. The previous two don't need to be in doll form now that they are part of the novel I am working on. :) I refrain from giving novel and RP characters shells due to my picky nature. I just rather enjoy the doll for what it is instead of picking apart its features.

20. I don't plan on treating any of my dolls any different. I'm fairly cautious though, even though the only doll I have at the moment is my Delf Lu-Wen Limited. I treat him gently and try not to leave him out around my room when I'm not home to watch if the sun is getting too near lol.

When I get my IH Luna Tamer, I plan to treat her the same way. I wouldn't want to get a doll that will just sit on the shelf all the time.

The same stands true for the IH Noctarcana Tatiana Trapeze I've been looking at. I know there's only going to be 50 of her but if I ever got her, I would treat her the same. I wouldn't want to hurt any of my dolls, and I'd feel bad if I locked them up/ kept them inside all the time.