1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you haggle?

Jul 9, 2009

1. (nb: I did a search but couldn't find anything on this particular subject - sorry if I missed it :doh As always, I do fail epically at using the search function)

Just in case 'haggle' is a British term, it means to offer a lower sum for an item than asked by the seller - usually resulting in the seller offering a higher sum, but still lower than the one offered by the buyer, until an accord is reached. (I'm not being condescending, I just don't know what terms are used and where :lol:)

In my (albeit limited) experience with the Marketplace here, I've found that people tend to be reluctant to haggle prices. Now, I suspect this is because these dolls don't depreciate much in value so people don't want to offer much less than the seller is asking.

For me, I tend to have two prices in mind when I list things - the price I'd love to get, and the price I'd be happy to settle on. So for example, I'd list a doll at $650 which is basically what I paid for it, but would be willing to settle for as low as $550, which is less than I paid but still a reasonable amount considering the doll is second-hand.

However, I have found that more often than not I have to physically drop the price (even if I state I'm willing to take offers) before gaining any interest from buyers.

I'm interested to see how common this is. Do people have reservations about 'haggling' for dolls or doll items (I always state offers welcome on doll clothes etc as well) and if so why?

For me, if someone states they're willing to take offers I will make an offer. I would rather someone negotiate with me (i.e. they advertise for $650, I say $500, they drop to $600, I go up to $550 and we accord around $575 or something, you know what I mean) and I pay a little more than I really want to, than just pay the high amount I can't really afford. I would even prefer someone to just say 'no' to my offer, I could always make another offer that they think is more reasonable. If someone says they'll take offers, then I don't think it's rude or unreasonable to make offers - even if you make an offer you know full well they won't take it :lol:

Obviously making a stupidly low offer (i.e. of $200 for a $600 doll) is just silly, but I would prefer someone to make a much-too-low offer and be happy with haggling, than not offering at all and the item not selling.

Another thing I've found is when I don't put a price on something and ask people to make offers, usually people want me to put a ball-park figure in before they'll suggest anything, is this the norm too? Usually it's fairly easy to find out what a doll is worth (company sites :3) so again I would rather haggle a bit with someone than them get put off by my dreaming figure. :lol:

So, to summarise (since this post has become a little longer than I thought it would :XD:)

Sellers:
      1. Do you state you take offers on your items?
      2. If so are you willing to haggle the price, or do you just say 'yes' or 'no' to offers?

Buyers:
      3. Do you make offers on items in the MP?
      4. How do you determine what is a reasonable offer to make?

Both:
      5. What are your experiences with haggling and making/taking offers?

(sorry if these are obscure questions >_< Please forgive me...)

2. I've never had the chance to haggle with a doll, but when haggling in general, I think it's best when you consider the offer you want to make, that it isn't too bad.

For example, if a doll cost $500, and the person wants to sell it for $400, but you want to pay $200 or less, than perhaps you can reach the medium of $300. In this case, I'd offer say, $250, but if the person didn't like that, I'd say, "Well--how about we meet in the middle--$300."

I find that people as a rule aren't too bad. It also helps if you know dolls well. A seller might come down if something needs to be replaced soon. If the doll's elastic needs to be changed, for example, you could probably get them to come down a bit.

3. Sellers:

Depending on the item, sometimes. Most items I have a set price for, but for some items I will list "willing to take offers", especially if I'm unsure of the current market value.

2. If so are you willing to haggle the price, or do you just say 'yes' or 'no' to offers?
      I would probably either just accept or deny an offer. I haven't received any unreasonable offers to date, so I haven't said "no" to any. If someone did offer a price that was less than I was willing to sell for, I'd just say no. If they came back with a higher offer that met the price I wanted for it, I'd agree though.

Buyers:

Very rarely. Only if the item is one I have been looking for, and the sales thread lists "willing to accept offers". I've only done so once, and the offer was accepted. But only if the thread lists an asking price as well. I don't reply to threads that don't list an asking price. Everyone's "reasonable price" is different, and I'd rather just have the seller set a price than insult someone by offering to little, or over-paying by offering too much.

I look at the current "market value" of the item being listed (like if it's a certain head sculpt, I'll look up recent sales listings for the same sculpt). Then I'll take into account the condition of the item... is it like new? Does it have staining or damage? I'd adjust the price accordingly if so.

Both:

I've only had a few, mostly positive experiences. But I don't really have much heart for haggling in general, and I'll avoid it if possible. I prefer things to be simpler... even at yard sales where haggling is generally accepted, I just go by the labeled price and decide if I'm willing to pay it.

4. I have made lower offers in the past has I too love haggling! I would welcome it for a doll I was selling too: it's better than wasting time lowering it and hoping someone's interested at that price.

In the past as a haggle I've asked for shipping to the UK to be included, or an outfit or wig as well as just plain making lower offers :) That's what I love about the market place: the worst people can do is say no to my bare faced cheek!

5. Being an old pro at antique and garage sale shopping, I love to haggle...and as a seller, I'd rather people PM with an offer vs just skipping because the asking price is too high. As a buyer, if I really want the item, I'll PM and offer a lower price, just to see if the seller will work with me. I understand that not everyone can lower their prices in a haggle..you just kinda have to go with the flow transaction by transaction.

I'm also open to trades or partial trades as a means to haggle. In the end, so long as both parties are happy with the deal, that is all that matters. It may have something to do with generations - the younger set isn't comfortable, yet those of us who are older grew up with this mind set (meeting in the middle so to speak).

And yes, having two people who know their merchandise helps. And the seller being honest is always a good thing. I'd hate to think I was getting a really good deal on a doll for it to arrive w/undisclosed damage and realize that was why the deal was so good - the seller took condition into account w/o letting it be known.

So once all the bases are covered, haggling is a good thing.

~Shannon

6. Sellers:
      1. Do you state you take offers on your items? -Yes I will
      2. If so are you willing to haggle the price, or do you just say 'yes' or 'no' to offers? - I will haggle if I think its worth it. Alot of times I price my stuff at about the lowest I will take. Because I dislike having to try and bargin with sellers myself.

Buyers:
      3. Do you make offers on items in the MP? -No
      4. How do you determine what is a reasonable offer to make? I dislike haggleing which is why I tend to look at the price if I think its reasonable I will buy. If not I will wait for it to go down.

Both:

Limited. I will occationally take offers when i'm selling but over all I'm not overly fond of it.

7. As a seller:
      ABSOLUTELY. I regard the price I put on items as a starting point from which my buyers are welcome to attempt to get me down from.

Totally and happily! I'll expect them to be reasonable in the offers of course, but I will meet them in the middle of their offer and my original price usually :)

As a buyer:
      Yes, I will haggle wherever possible, and if the seller is like me, and enjoys the tussle, then I'll haggle hard! lol I've got some AWESOME deals doing this, and I really don't see a problem with it provided the seller is cool with it (most people say whether they're ok with offers and haggling) and the buyer remains polite and doesn't take the mickey with the offers.

Generally speaking, my opening offer will be around 35-40% less than the original price asked, the buyer and I will haggle up to a settling figure of around 30% less than the original asking price.

The bottom line is to know the market and the general selling plusses and minuses of the doll/outfit/whatever in question. If you're experienced in the field and are prepared to go for dolls and items that may need a little work, it's entirely possible to get a good, solid, major company SD for around $280/$300 on the MP here and I have done so many times.

Both:
      What can I say, it works for me as both a buying and selling method! I enjoy the fight and I like getting a good deal. Of course, you're going to get the odd incredibly cheeky lowball offer, but hey, the worst that happens is that you say no, and really, you can't blame people for trying! On occasion, I've BEEN that person trying!

It never hurts to ask politely and with respect as a buyer, and as a seller, it never hurts to be open minded to offers and trades. I've found, especially in the current economic climate, that the deals are still out there to be found, you just have to work a little bit harder as both a buyer and seller to find them. It's TOTALLY worth it in the long run, I own an SD that cost me absolutely nothing thanks to bargain hunting, haggling and trading of the things that came with it!

8. I hate haggling. I don't have any experience with it, I'm not comfortable doing it, and I do not enjoy it. The prices I put in my sales threads are the prices I'm willing to sell for and most of the time they are not terribly negotiable. I never state that I'm willing to take offers because the vast majority of the time I am not interested in a lower offer. When I AM interested in a lower offer I'll say so.

I wish buyers wouldn't PM me asking for a lower price when I've made no indication that I'm willing to take offers -- it's a waste of my time and theirs. I seem to be in the minority on this though.

9. See this is rudeness on the part of the buyers, I would never attempt to haggle with someone who clearly states they have no wish to. Much like all deals on the MP here, it's all about respect and trust, and you can't have either when people approach a transaction without a polite manner!

10. Actually, I agree whole-heartedly on this. I would never make an offer on something if the seller didn't state they are willing to take offers, and offering a lower price on an item not marked this way is kinda rude in my opinion - especially as they're usually very reasonably priced to begin with :3

Edit: Lulu, you literally took the words right outta my fingers :XD:

11. I haven't really sold anything in the MP, so the first two questions are 'N/A'
      For sure - I wouldn't be my father's daughter if I didn't, lol! The only time I wouldn't is if I thot the item was a bargain to begin with (then I'd be asking serious questions to ensure it was 'as posted) or I really wanted it and the seller stated outright the posted price was 'firm' and they weren't fielding offers.

Combination of a few factors - my perception of the value of the item, any favorable shipping advantages over buying from the manufacturer or retail, original asking price (if it is outrageously high imho, I am more likely to make a very low offer). Once in awhile I might toss out what I can afford on a hunch, but not very often.

However, if I feel the price is too high and I only 'sort of' want the item I just wait and see if the seller eventually drops the price.

Mostly positive - I try to keep negotiations conversational and cordial: this process is supposed to be fun!

I do suspect that some people are so accustomed to shopping at 'fixed-price' stores they are a bit taken aback by an offer. ::shrugs:: It doesn't bother me any: if they feel that way, they should state in the sales post, or post their item on Etsy or in a BIN on eBay.

12. Sellers:

I do, but most of the things I sell are custom made so haggling is a part of the process. Right now I have several heads and a body and doll for sale in the MP, and I don't have prices on any of them. My system is make an offer, let me counter (or not) that way hopefully we both get what we want out of it, a good deal that satisfies us. I have turned down offers in the past, but I have never been offended by a low offer, i simply say "thanks, but the market value of that item is significantly higher, I will hold on to it for now unless you are prepared to make a higher offer'

On some items I won't haggle at all, but most I am fine with it, and if for some reason I cannot lower the price what I will do is add extras. If the person wants a lower price on a comm what I will do is make an offer of a less detailed but similar item, or less expensive materials.

Buyers:

I do make items on offers in the MP, the way I view it is that an item is only worht to me what I am willing to pay for it, If I make an offer and can't go higher then the item is not worth it to me and it is better it goes to someone to whom it is worth as much as the seller wants. If the seller accepts my offer great :) Most often if I haggle it is for free shipping. That is just one little extra that is nice to not worry about. Honestly if a price is listed with shipping included I am less likely to haggle as I can budget that in straight away.

As I said it is how much an item is worth to me. i consider things like tha current market value, can I make it myself, is it worth the price to not HAVE to make it, do I have other opportunities to get that same item, etc. The more time, effort and money I save by buying something the more likely I am to buy than make, and the more difficult something is to obtain, or the more important it is to me to have it the less hardnosed I am on haggling.

Both:

I have had several offers on items in the past that were rediculously low, I don't take offence though, and in most cases it is simply that the person did not really know the market value of the item, or was asking "on the off chance..." so they were not bothered either. I have also taken offers that were very good, and once took an offer that was higher than the price I expected, the person wanting the convenience of having the item immediately. Generally I am happy to work with people until everyone is satisfied however, as the best deal is where everyone feels they came out ahead :)

My favourite hagglins is always about trading comissionable items for dolls, I love doing this :) The only time this has ever been a problem is when I have been a perectionist about things I send and remake them 10 or 12 times (yes I have done this in the past)

13. Sellers:
      Yep! Any reasonable offers accepted for cash or trades.

I'm always willing to haggle, I know that sometimes a doll can be just out of reach and as long as it's a reasonable offer the doll's going to get sold.

Buyers:
      I have made offers, but only if the seller says they're willing to consider offers or trades.

It depends on the dolls, what they come with, availability and condition.

Both:
      They've all been good so far, we've always either managed to either meet in the middle or the offers have been good enough to take without haggling.

14. I think it's reasonable for people to ask for a ballpark even if the new price of the doll is known. On the one hand, you're thinking, "well, that's how much it is new, so why do they need a ballpark?" and on the hand, they're probably thinking, "well, it's on the site for $xxx but they're still being vague, so do they want a lot more/a lot less or something?"

I think people can be wary of inviting haggling because some people make really stupid offers and it's easier sometimes to just not want to deal with that ^^;; I once said I'd take offers on a $90 default outfit, and someone asked me if I'd sell it for $60 without the hairclip. Uhhhh... no. Not only is that a GROSS overestimation of how much the clip is worth, but the person clearly didn't take into account that it wouldn't be very easy for me to sell a clip just by itself. Usually when I say "take offers", I mean that I'll be willing to include shipping, or something. These days, instead of saying that on individual items, I state at the top of my threads that if people buy more than $xxx amount, I may be willing to cut them a deal.

Aside from those specific replies to examples from your post, here are your questions :)

Sellers:

Sometimes. I try to give a guideline price, though, and let people make offers based on excluding some included items for a lower price, or including shipping. It can be intimidating, I think, for buyers if no price is listed. You don't want to insult the seller but at the same time you don't want to pay more than you have to!
      I usually try to make a better offer.

Buyers:

I have if it states that they'll take offers. If not, then no. I may offer a trade even if no trade option is given, but I wouldn't just out-and-out ask for a price change. Maybe if I bought more than one item I'd ask for free basic shipping.
      I look at the retail price, whether or not the item is still available from the original seller, whether or not other people are selling this item and for how much, and where the person lives.

Both:

Sometimes I've gotten free shipping, sometimes people want to trade. Sometimes people aren't interested.

15. These are all really awesome replies everyone, I'm feeling a lot more informed now, thanks! :)

16. I'm not very good at haggling. I would always go to the car boot sales and my dad would always complain that I never haggle when I'm supposed to. Then he'd start going on about how much money I could have saved if I haggled for whatever it was lol

Anyway, as a buyer, if the seller takes offers I do like to know what they would like to get, and then I'd offer it a little lower, just not too low. For example, if something is (using £s here) £20.00 then I'd make an offer for £18.00. Not drastically low, but enough to make me smile and go "Ha, I save £2.00 - now I'll go buy chocolate as a treat and a lucky dip lotto ticket" :lol:

I mean, there are pros and cons to haggling if no price is mentioned. If I wanted to sell a doll for $500 and someone offered $600 I'd be over the moon, but if I mention that I was looking at $500, then all the offers would be low.

It's one of those situations that you've got to take a chance on, I think. At the end of the day, if the offers aren't what you expected, you can always say no. I don't think there is a rule stating that you have to sell it at the highest offer, is there? I wouldn't have thought so, but all places are different, so I'm not too sure.

I think I'm gonna have a nosy at the rules of the marketplace now - I'm a lil curious :)

17. I dont know if there is much bartering or haggling here in the marketplace.

If a doll is new full set then of course the seller wants what they paid for it in return and usually buyers wont mind paying that.

However if a seller has a doll that has discoloration or parts missing or broken and they still want full retail I wont even bother talking to them. That means to me that they are either out of touch with what the going rate of the market or are not even courteous enough to lower the price accordingly.

I see nothing wrong with making offers of a lower amount if there is something wrong with a doll but it still may offend some people.

If a person is open to offers I will not haggle. I will offer my best price since as you mentioned these dolls dont really go down in price that much.

however if someone is offering a used doll , something standard at the same price I can get it new from the company , I say why bother and why not just order from the doll company itself.

But I think usually people start off at retail value then then tend to lower their price if they can afford to. Especially in this horrible economy.

18. Sellers:
      I will if I am willing to drop the price. Depends on what I'm selling really.

I'm always willing to haggle. :lol:

Buyers:
      Yes, however if a seller comes back with "No, I'm not willing to haggle a price." I totally repect that and won't haggle.

I look around see what the item/items are going for and have gone for. If a seller is asking say $350 but none have been sold for over $300, I'd make an offer for $300. Then again, if I REALLY want something and the seller says they'd like to get something in the range of say $250, I'm willing to pay more and make an offer the seller can't pass up. ;)

Both:
      Mostly good. I always remember to stay friendly and polite as possible no matter if I get the item, lose the item, am selling the item, or haggling with a seller for the item. :)

19. Sellers:
      If I am taking offers, yes. If I'm not, no.
      If it's written nice enough and the price is okay with me, yes <-which usually happens.
      But if it's something like [I'll offer $xyz shipped. Let me know], I say no or just ignore.

Buyers:
      If it says that the seller is taking offers, I sometime do.
      But I think it's kinda rude to make an offer if the seller did not state that he/she is taking offers.
      I usually ask to include shipping price in the original price that the seller listed.
      I personally think it's sort of riediculous to offer (per say,) $300 for a $500 doll. That's just too much.

Both:
      I was kinda pissed when someone offered me what I consider a ridiculous price for an item I listed for sale some time ago.
      I didn't state that I'm taking offers, so I didn't expect anybody to make such a ridiculous offer.
      She kept lowering the price even after I said no. I was bothered by it, but decided to meet her half way, and she agreed.
      Few days later, I was looking through the FS threads and came across hers.
      It really, really pissed me off to read that she is not willing to haggle with her prices and that she's going to ignore those PMs -_-

20. This is basely untrue, and I haven't yet decided whether to be offended by this condescending generalization or to just shake it off in good faith.

I personally haggle over almost anything, unless I'm in a restaurant. I haggled 8% off the price of an expensive Bluetooth headset at Best Buy because the box was a little bit battered. I haggle for new cell phones at the Sprint store, and I have never paid full price for an auto repair. It's my opinion that people who pay full mark-up retail price on many items without haggling are being jerked around.

That being said, I've never made a purchase from the Marketplace, but if/when I do in the future, you can be sure I'll haggle, even if the seller doesn't invite offers. It's not a waste of time. If someone has been unsuccessfully bumping their thread for two months without any interest, it's almost guaranteed that they'll at least entertain the idea of going lower. And if not, then hey, they won't be getting my money. Because I'm very patient, and I can wait for the person who will negotiate a price.

In determining what a reasonable offer would be, I might even go as low as 2/3 of the asking price. If someone was selling a $300 item, I'd try to low-ball them at $200. I might settle on $250 if the seller asked, but then again, I might wait for the next person who's selling the same item and try them instead.