1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a hard time naming your dolls and keep having to change it?

Nov 11, 2020

1. Yes! I had the hardest time finding a good name for my grail doll. She finally got one after I've had her for 6years!!!

Now I'm busy renaming my twins. They both had flower names and I loved them, but they just don't sound well together. Not 'twin' enough.

They used to have the names Somniferum and Nymphaea but now I'm thinking more about Meira/Nuri and Mare or Ignis and Irvin. Nuri and Nen are also into consideration. Sometimes I feel naming dolls is one of the more complicated matters in this hobby, for me.

2. I am pretty spontaneos with names. Usually I only get one doll of a certain sculpt so sometimes I just go with the company name. Iordered a maskcat Astrid for example and feel like she really fits that name so I will Keep it

3. I used to have a hard time naming dolls, but now I've less difficulties. Maybe the habit?
      For example, I had a VERY hard time naming my oldest doll, a Dollstown Soph B. I named her Murmures, Silence, and others but nothing fitted her. Finally I asked for help here on DOA and someone suggested Keshi. She wears that name for 10 years now xD
      I also used to ask for help for many dolls names. And now I choose alone.

4. It's funny how once in a while, someone else can just "see" the right fitting name!

5. I usually don't have a hard time naming my dolls. A lot of times I come up with names/ personality/character for them as soon as I buy them! For the first time I had a hard time naming my little vampire! I asked DOA members what names they like best and it made it so much easier for me! Naming my boy has been the hardest! Thanks to this thread I've summed it down to either Damen or Daniel!

#25 TwilightBabyDoll, Nov 19, 2020
      Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    6. I totally agree!

7. I have such trouble naming my dolls, only one of them has a name right now.

8. I link my doll's names very strongly to their character. Problem is when I start writing, the character changes and evolves so the name doesn't fit anymore. Then I move on to a new name and so on.. then I start a complete new story and it's all chaos again!

So names tend to change a lot for me. Currently struggling to find my MDR Olate's elven name. I am thinking Khione or Alarielle or maybe Calanthe.. I don't know anymore *_*
      ( She's had at least five names already :doh)

I feel like my Instagram is just me posting pictures of my doll announcing yet another name change. "Meet..<insert new name>"

9. Oh the angst!:doh I absolutely obsess over finding the perfect name. It’s both a really fun and utterly frustrating endeavor. I start naming them the minute I choose their sculpt, and keep finessing it as I await their arrival. And then sometimes it’s not quite right and I continue to tweak it as I work out the finer details of their persona. Names are completely character-driven for me. And yes, it has sometimes happened that years down the road I stumble across an even better name...and when that happens, I won’t hesitate to change it. For me, names are crucially important and can often take a great deal of finesse to get right.

#29 PoeticSoul, Nov 27, 2020
      Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    10. It's strange, sometimes I have great difficulty thinking of a name and other times it just falls on me as if out of the sky. Probably my funniest story is about my Villitunes Mizuki. I just could not for the life of me pick anything that fit her 'vibe' while still being acceptable to me. Then one of my non-doll friends remarked that she looked like a "soy bean gone wild" and I was just like, "that's it!" and named her Kinako after the roasted soy flour, lol.

That said, I've never had a problem with having to change a doll's name a whole bunch. Occasionally I'll hem and haw for ages, but once I've settled on something it almost always sticks.

11. I usually choose a name after a character of the story that I am reading!

12. @PakoTisk394 That's pretty much what I do most of the time!

13. I'm having an incredibly hard time naming one of my dolls right now! My others have been relatively easy to name, which is interesting since this doll's character is the most fully developed of the bunch. One issue I've encountered is that a lot of names seem promising on paper, but when spoken out loud, they don't roll off my tongue elegantly (such as accented French names... I can't do them justice :sweat). I don't want to end up re-naming him down the line, so for the moment I'm just referring to him by his sculpt name for convenience.

14. i find it easy to name doll, i find it hard to stick to that name though lol,
      my incoming doll had a very thoughtfully planed name that i spent week researching to get the meaning and combination, except while he didn't have a name i just refferd to him as xiaohua and thats what has ended up sticking :lol:

15. Yeah... I've never been good with names. I'm never sure how to think of one/find one. I feel like the name generators approach is just... I don't know, it doesn't give the name life often enough for me to feel comfortable and confident enough in my usage of one.

16. Naming dolls has always been easy for me. There were a few that I changed later, but overall I never have an issue finding a name for my dolls.

17. Aaaa. For me, I have a hard time changing a doll's name from the name of the sculpt. My Moon sculpt is Moon, my Elliott is Elliott,... I'm terrible at naming my dolls.